Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

Chapter 175: Vasili

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 175: Vasili

March, 1619

Vasili, heir to the Russian throne found himself wondering when things would be normal, or rather not normal, but less chaotic. As far as he understood it, the war that had been fought over the past decade and more against Poland was over. The Polish King had recognised that he could not defeat Vasili’s father and therefore decided to come to terms.

The Poles had abandoned cousin Ivan and gone back to their own land. It should have been a time for peace and serenity, but Vasili supposed that after so long fighting, nobody really knew what that looked like anymore. Indeed, Vasili’s father was now moving around frenetically trying to sort out some dispute with the Boyars. What that dispute was, Vasili didn’t know nor did he particularly care.

He supposed he should, but he wasn’t even a man yet, he was only eleven years of age, what did he care about disputes? No, instead he was far more interested in talking to the man who stood opposite him. Jacob La Gardie, a Swede who had fought loyally for Vasili’s father and was now entrusted with ensuring Vasili learned something of arms.

Vasili looked at the man and asked. “This must be quite the downturn for you.”

He spoke in Russian, though he knew he should really speak in German or maybe some other language. Father wouldn’t be happy if he heard him speaking in Russian after all. La Gardie answered in heavily accented Russian. “How so, Sir?”

Vasili grinned. “Well, you’ve gone from being the famous commander smashing the Poles to having to look after me. Quite the downturn I would say.”

La Gardie smiled. “Not at all, Sir. It is an honour.”

“An honour?” Vasili asked.

“Yes, Sir. Getting the chance to work with you and ensure that you are prepared for your role is an honour.” La Gardie said.

“I see.” Vasili replied, a thousand thoughts whirring through his head, including what exactly he could learn from the man. He had many questions, but the one that immediately stood out was one that might perhaps not be immediately apparent to anyone but him. “What’s different between here and Sweden?”

“Sir?” La Gardie replied, blinking.

“What’s different between here and Sweden, in terms of culture, court etiquette and other such things?” Vasili asked. He was no doubt an odd person for thinking on such things, but still.

If La Gardie thought his question odd, it didn’t show on his face and he didn’t say anything to suggest he thought it odd. Instead, he answered directly. “Well, there are many things that are different, Sir. Firstly, the Riksdag of Sweden exists, this enables the nobles and the lower classes to voice some concerns about governmental policy whilst also acting as a check on any noble or person who gets too ambitious and threatens the stability of the Kingdom.”

“Do they hold onto the King’s ambition?” Vasili asked.

“They don’t, Sir.” La Gardie said. “Or at least they are not meant to.”

Intrigued Vasili asked. “What do you mean?”

“A good King knows how to ensure that his men fill the dominant positions in something like the Riksdag. He knows how to play to their emotions to make them think that he is looking for the same thing that they are. Even if he is not, it is important that they believe he is.” La Gardie said.

“And what if they realise that he isn’t?” Vasili asked.

“A good King will ensure that they never do.” La Gardie said.

“How?” Vasili asked.

“Guarded speech that gives enough to make it seem that there is something there, but not enough to expose a fault in the line of thinking.” La Gardie said.

“That sounds complicated.” Vasili said, he couldn’t imagine how something like that could work anywhere let alone in Russia.

“It is, but there are ways to bring about that perception.” La Gardie replied.

“How?” Vasili asked eagerly.

“A firm and proper character. Someone who does not give into the vices of mere mortals, and someone who knows what they stand for.” La Gardie said.

“So, not a Boyar then?” Vasili said, it was a joke he’d heard his father make once or twice before, in moments where he appeared deeply frustrated.

La Gardie smiled. “Indeed not. You are a member of a distinguished dynasty, Sir. Your duty is to ensure that you do not give into the temptation that lesser mortals might fall for. And one way to do that is through the rigours of military practice.”

“Oh?” Vasili said eagerly, hoping that he was about to be told he could do drill under La Gardie.

“His Majesty has asked that I begin your training as soon as is possible. And as such, I have some things that I want you to do before then.” La Gardie said.

“Of course!” Vasili said excitedly.

“You are to wake up as soon as the sun rises, and begin by doing various hand and feet exercises. You are to run through the corridors and grounds of the palace, and you are to eat a balanced meal for breakfast.” La Gardie said.

Vasili nodded eagerly.

“You will then meet me at the training ground for an hour of proper practise, before returning to your lessons.” La Gardie said.

Vasili felt some of his enthusiasm wane then. He didn’t want to go back to normal lessons. Those normal lessons with the old man who served as his tutor always made him feel nervous. Why, he didn’t know, but they did and he didn’t like it. But he knew that protesting this would make him seem like a child, and he wasn’t a child.

“When do I start?” Vasili asked instead.

“In two days’, time, Sir.” La Gardie said.

Vasili felt his grin grow wider. “Excellent!” That meant that there would be no chance for it to be changed. Excellent! “I look forward to it.” La Gardie didn’t reply, he merely smiled in response.

By "military training" I meant "have him learn modern history of warfare etc from the sources not available or lost in Russia" rather than having a Count act as Drill Sergean Nasty, should have specified this in "work statement". De La Gardie should use his men for PE part of the things, otherwise his prestige AND rank at court would be dropped. After all, he's a semiformal ambassador from an ally, and not a refugee like say Patrick Gordon was in Peter I childhood.
Maybe an amendment or two can be made?

VVD0D95

Banned
By "military training" I meant "have him learn modern history of warfare etc from the sources not available or lost in Russia" rather than having a Count act as Drill Sergean Nasty, should have specified this in "work statement". De La Gardie should use his men for PE part of the things, otherwise his prestige AND rank at court would be dropped. After all, he's a semiformal ambassador from an ally, and not a refugee like say Patrick Gordon was in Peter I childhood.
Maybe an amendment or two can be made?
There’s going to be an elaboration on precisely what Jacob will teach Vasili, couldn’t quote cover it one chapter

A foreigner as a governor of a heir, though, is a signal to those-who-matter in Sweden that "we're not quite abandoning you", because of how it is a prestigious position (normally reserved for high nobility, and this appointment is made with quite a few scandals, me thinks), though likely a shared one - with a Russian high noble.
is likely a Russian colleague of De La Gardie.

And I imagine that a lot of teeth grinding is going to ensue in Warsaw over such an appointment.

VVD0D95

Banned
A foreigner as a governor of a heir, though, is a signal to those-who-matter in Sweden that "we're not quite abandoning you", because of how it is a prestigious position (normally reserved for high nobility, and this appointment is made with quite a few scandals, me thinks), though likely a shared one - with a Russian high noble.
is likely a Russian colleague of De La Gardie.

And I imagine that a lot of teeth grinding is going to ensue in Warsaw over such an appointment.
Oh agreed, it’s going to be a fun time for
Russia that’s for sure

Interesting that a Swede gets to mould the heir from boy to man. Vasili could turn out to be quite interesting a chap indeed.

How big is Russia at the mo?

Any chance of someone else nabbing Siberia or the what became the 'Stans?

ATM the exploration past Urals is ongoing.
A PoV from Siberia can be the OTL Patriarch Filaret, TTL first Metropolitan Bishop of Siberia - ITTL this man is going to do a lot for exploration. And it will take to the Vasilii reign for Romanovs to truly reinstall themselves as a faction at court.

Yakutsk soon turned into a major base for further Russian expeditions eastward, southward and northward. Maksim Perfilyev, who earlier had been one of the founders of Yeniseysk, founded Bratsky ostrog in 1631, and in 1638 he became the first Russian to enter Transbaikalia.[18][19] In 1639 a group led by Ivan Moskvitin became the first Russian to reach the Pacific Ocean and to discover the Sea of Okhotsk, having built a winter camp on its shore at the Ulya River mouth. The Cossacks learned from the locals about the proximity of the Amur River.[16] In 1640 they apparently sailed south, explored the south-eastern shores of the Okhotsk Sea, maybe even reaching the mouth of the Amur River and discovering the Shantar Islands on their return voyage. Based on Moskvitin's account, Kurbat Ivanov draw the first Russian map of the Far East in 1642. He led a group of Cossacks himself in 1643 to the south of the Baikal Mountains and discovered Lake Baikal, visiting its Olkhon Island. Subsequently, Ivanov made the first chart and description of Baikal.[20]

An antique map of Irkutsk and Lake Baikal in its neighbourhood

In 1643, Vasily Poyarkov crossed the Stanovoy Range and reached the upper Zeya River in the country of the Daurs, who were paying tribute to Manchu Chinese. After wintering, in 1644 Poyarkov pushed down the Zeya and became the first Russian to reach the Amur River. He sailed down the Amur and finally discovered the mouth of that great river from land. Since his Cossacks provoked the enmity of the locals behind, Poyarkov chose a different way back. They built boats and in 1645 sailed along the Sea of Okhotsk coast to the Ulya River and spent the next winter in the huts that had been built by Ivan Moskvitin six years earlier. In 1646 they returned to Yakutsk.[16]
This can be an intersting thing to explore, because Poyarkov's action needlessly antagonized the locals. Poyarkov and/or Khabarov being butterflied away and somebody less conquistadorish sent in their place can result in the Far East situation way different from OTL with butterfly events in China/Korea/Japan to boot.

VVD0D95

Banned
Interesting that a Swede gets to mould the heir from boy to man. Vasili could turn out to be quite interesting a chap indeed.

It's definitely going to be intriguing.

And as Valena says, exploration of Siberia is ongoing at the moment.
This can be an intersting thing to explore, because Poyarkov's action needlessly antagonized the locals. Poyarkov and/or Khabarov being butterflied away and somebody less conquistadorish sent in their place can result in the Far East situation way different from OTL with butterfly events in China/Korea/Japan to boot.
Oooh interesting

Khabarov got a major city named after him IOTL, but that does not deny the fact that his actions were the indirect cause of 1680ies Russo-Chinese War and lack of Russian access to Amur until Nicholas I reign, as locals saw Chinese/Manchu as "good guys who give us jobs" and Russians as "cruel robbers from the West".
Given the bureacracy Filaret was capable of IOTL, I wouldn't be surprised if, as a Metropolitan, he tries to regulate expeditions, cause furs are needed and needed in huge quantities, but discovery of Russian own lead deposits in newly explored mountains is much more important than robbing the locals blind, though results in less money in the pockets of a single Cossacks gang leader.
OTOH, after long war there is way too many men who know little but it, so either it's the rise in robbery levels in European Russia or all these troublemakers are encouraged to go East, and then see trapper's greed and the OTL excesses.

VVD0D95

Banned
Khabarov got a major city named after him IOTL, but that does not deny the fact that his actions were the indirect cause of 1680ies Russo-Chinese War and lack of Russian access to Amur until Nicholas I reign, as locals saw Chinese/Manchu as "good guys who give us jobs" and Russians as "cruel robbers from the West".
Given the bureacracy Filaret was capable of IOTL, I wouldn't be surprised if, as a Metropolitan, he tries to regulate expeditions, cause furs are needed and needed in huge quantities, but discovery of Russian own lead deposits in newly explored mountains is much more important than robbing the locals blind, though results in less money in the pockets of a single Cossacks gang leader.
OTOH, after long war there is way too many men who know little but it, so either it's the rise in robbery levels in European Russia or all these troublemakers are encouraged to go East, and then see trapper's greed and the OTL excesses.
A rock and a hard place I imagine. Though given a war is boiling between Austria and the Ottomans, maybe room to send some of the men off as mercenaries?

Though Russia is less in debt compared to IOTL and has more ways to profit from transit trade with Persia (it kept access to Baltic coast ITTL, with Ivangorod and what is to become Ust-Luga and St. Petersburg in the OTL future), so less need to stimulate "fur fever" to fill in the treasury, Siberia as the promised land where there is no serfdom and any generic Ivan can become very rich very soon is going to be attractive.
Especially among people who used to be serfs/kholops, ended up in the military, and now find free men life as much better than peasant life they got used to. Weaponry makes men free.

OTOH they had little in the way of trapping/forest survival skills, so relied on intimidating local nations into giving them furs tribute. Worked well until the Russian expeditions reached Chinese border, when this approach resulted in eventual war.

Last edited:
By the way, the same phenomenon can happen in Britain, though having to do less with a lot of socially disturbed but armed men, and more with Raleigh last expedition discovering Orinoco highlands gold - which seems a promising alternative to seemingly endless troubles plaguing Virginia (seemingly because it seems as "lot of work, little gain").
It would be interesting to see how the Brits deal with the ensuing gold fever.

VVD0D95

Banned
Though Russia is less in debt compared to IOTL and has more ways to profit from transit trade with Persia (it kept access to Baltic coast ITTL, with Ivangorod and what is to become Ust-Luga and St. Petersburg in the OTL future), so less need to stimulate "fur fever" to fill in the treasury, Siberia as the promised land where there is no serfdom and any generic Ivan can become very rich very soon is going to be attractive.
Especially among people who used to be serfs/kholops, ended up in the military, and now find free men life as much better than peasant life they got used to. Weaponry makes men free.

OTOH they had little in the way of trapping/forest survival skills, so relied on intimidating local nations into giving them furs tribute. Worked well until the Russian expeditions reached Chinese border, when this approach resulted in eventual war.
By the way, the same phenomenon can happen in Britain, though having to do less with a lot of socially disturbed but armed men, and more with Raleigh last expedition discovering Orinoco highlands gold - which seems a promising alternative to seemingly endless troubles plaguing Virginia (seemingly because it seems as "lot of work, little gain").
It would be interesting to see how the Brits deal with the ensuing gold fever.
Oooh this is true, I had forgotten about Raleigh (oops) but yes, that would be intriguing

By the way, given a number of armed unrests in Scotland as of recent the Scots seem to be the people who become attracted to the gold fever. Scottish South American colony sounds crazy but well can be a thing.