These Fair Shores: The Commonwealth of New England

To quote a certain fictional anchorman: "Well that escalated quickly".

On another note, you mentioned that the dominions are protected by the Royal Navy. Do the dominions still have their own navies?

News out of the Hermit Republic is usually never good.

Dominions will often have coast guards, and they may be rather big! But the only navy that operates in the Empire is the Royal Navy.

Goodness me! Great update! I love how the United states is referred to as a "hermit republic" in the headline. I also love how Mexico, compared to OTL, pulled a reverse UNO card and closed the border on the US. Nice touches!

General Questions: What do the acronyms DSU and LPP stand for? What's California's government up to?

Thanks!

The DSU stands for "Democratic Social Union" and LPP stands for "Liberal Progressive Party." The names have long since lost most of their meaning.

California is more or less watching the events with concern, but without much of an interest or concern.

Oh... I didn't realize just how bad the US government is ITTL. That's interesting. This world seems actually quite a bit worse off compared to OTL, at least for the Anglosphere.

The United States isn't particularly the shining beacon of Republicanism ITTL. However... that mantle has generally been taken by Argentina, and many governments take ques from Argentina on constitutional reforms.

Now that is a dark United States. A slaveholding economy enduring longer than OTL, a transition to monopoly capitalism (complete with company towns) lasting into the 21st century, with a formal system of apartheid up to the 1990s and Jim Crow-style voting restrictions into the present day, and a reactionary ruling class blocking every hint of reform after briefly seeing its grip on power slip. Throw in the McCarthy-esque "Committee on the Protection of the Constitution," widespread censorship, and security forces using live ammunition on protesters...

Bra-vo, CosmicAsh. This is one of the most horrifying takes on an Evil USA I've seen since Decades of Darkness. And this Ugly America isn't even a main focus of this TL!

Thank you very much! Yes, information out of the United States will be rather sparse and incomplete (due to problems with getting information out of the country, even), but the things that will emerge can put on full display the failure of the Constitutional system...

I blame Hamilton becoming the first president for the rigid oligarchy the USA has become, which I think has been carried over from the first timeline.
The musical doesn't really convey how much of an authoritarian bastard he was, lord only knows what he would have been like without Washington to set the example.

I have been planning on using this in the future...

cZePxyR.png

Interior of a National Steel Apartment, with a man working late into the night on his college studies, 1958

Is this like OTL Burma/Myanmar where security and law enforcement had launched full crackdown on protests?

Comparable, yes.

The only thing that would make TTL's America worse would be COVID on steroids.

Luckily, there is no COVID-19 pandemic.

Gotta hand it to you, @CosmicAsh ; even the side plots of this timeline are downright fascinating. Second everyone above wowed by the latest US update!

Thank you!! I knew that I had to do something to at least frame the United States so future updates make more sense, as well as give more insight as to the reaction of the Conservative MP in New England.

DSU = Democratic Social Union
LPP = Liberal Progressive Party
1. Why Brazil is fucked up ITTL, and why?
2. The Egyptian Government seems like Iran ITTL.
The US of ITTL is bleak, with Constitutional Protection Unit acting like the American Stasi, Good job, @CosmicAsh

1 - I will focus on Brazil at some point, I believe I have it penciled in for around the Autumn of 2021.
2 - This is correct.

Thanks you!

Last edited:
Are any politicians in Britain or any of the dominions calling for an invasion of the U.S.? Is the U.S. a nuclear power ITTL?
Even if it isn't, that's still an invasion of an immense country of great economic strength with a likely hypernationalistic, if possibly disarmed, population and a serious industrial base. Not something to be taken lightly, especially when the bulk of the liberating force would have to be mustered from around the globe against a consolidated enemy. Mobilising the navy is one thing, an attempted occupation of the United States is quite another. In OTL, The USA has not invaded Iran because the international backlash and likely casualties would be far too costly, despite America being the sole superpower and Iran both weaker and more repressive (by my estimation) than TTL US . In this world Britain is not the global hegemon by any means, Russia holds the title of Strongest Single Nation, though Britain is magnified by the empire, and the ratio of power between TTL!UK: America is much more in America's favour than OTL!USA:Iran. That doesn't even factor in Russian or Japanese reactions to Britain making a defacto North American Imperial expansion or the fact that while life seems nicest in the UK, they don't seem exactly like a shining city on a hill by our standards (even if in this timeline ITV and Channel 5 don't exist, while bake off will still be on the BBC where it belongs).

TLDR; Intervention is likely too costly, it might not succeed, the international backlash to acting unilaterally would be nasty and Britain might not want to.

TBH, the United States in Our Fair Country sounded a little too rosy to me. I think this TL is a more realistic portrayal of a United States where the political balance is in the South's favor during the formative years.

Speaking of which, what is the state of the America's Carribean states? Given how racist TTL America is, I'm willing to bet that they'd face immense pressure to adopt Anglo-Saxon culture.

Channel 1 News (United States) 7:55 RST
9CPoZ19.png

...PLEES STAND BY FOR A MECIJ FROM HIS ÉXELENSSI, CHAIRMAN LARRI HOGAN...
...Thiss is an Imurjensi Braudcast from the Presidénshel Paless, Cincinnati...

Good Eevning.

As y noa meni ov ue ar awair, the past week and a haf has been a tuemúltueess tym for our Ripublic.
Our énemies hav bicúm nuemeruss. The forsses ov sidition and treesen hav fild our streets, harmd
ínecent Americans, and harmd countless biznesses.

Our cuntri wos bilt on the prinsipls ov Freedem. Freedem ov Speech, Freedem ov Acembli, Freedem
ov Wurship. It has aulways been my pursenel goal, the President’s goal, and the unbroaken chain ov our
guvernment’s goal bak tu Hamelten himself tu see that thees ryts ar protécted and difended for
all Americans.

Oaver the past fue days, the sidíshuss, forren-bakd treesenuss élements that ly withín thiss cuntri,
in evri siti, in evri naiberhood, has burst forth from thair hiden dens and taiken tu the streets.
Thees ar not Amerricans. Thay ar not peessfulli acembling. Thay ar unlawful seditionists, urjd by
forren forsses tu rys up tu distroy our way ov lyf, tu distroy our Amerrica.

Y plej tu ue, the American Peepl, that thiss dicision wos not taiken lytli. The President has synd
of on thiss mezher, and the Speeker ov the Houss has indicaited hi shal not opoas thiss mezher. In
adition tu the reecentli impoasd curfue, y am now diclairing a Stait ov Imurjensi tu now igzist in our
Grait Ripublic. All public activities bitween the ours ov 5PM River Standerd Tym and 8AM River
Standerd Tym hav been suspénded. The Hoamland Difenss Act has been áctivaited, and controal ov
the United States Militerri has now passd under direct controal ov the Privi Counsel. Y hav now
instructed the 3rd Airborn Division tu bee diployd tu Colúmbuss tu ristor order tu that siti.

Y urj all law-abyding residents tu rispect thees nue ruuls. Thay wil bee tempererri, and wi shal not bee
difeeted. The forsses ov sidition and treesen wil bee difeeted! Wi can, and wi must, triyumf.

And tu thoas hu seek tu distroy our way ov lyf, distroy our America. Ue wil fail. Wi ar cuming for ue.
And wi wil fynd ue.

Long Liv our Grait Ripublic!

...Thiss has been an Imurjensi Braudcast from the Presidénshel Paless, Cincinnati...

===

M3K4kAa.png

...PLEASE STAND BY FOR A MESSAGE FROM HIS EXCELLENCY, CHAIRMAN LARRY HOGAN...
...This is an Emergency Broadcast from the Presidential Palace, Cincinnati...

Good Evening.

As I know many of you are aware, the past week and a half has been a tumultuous time for our Republic.
Our enemies have become numerous. The forces of sedition and treason have filled our streets, harmed
innocent Americans, and harmed countless businesses.

Our country was built on the principles of Freedom. Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Assembly, Freedom
of Worship. It has always been my personal goal, the President's goal, and the unbroken chain of our
government's goal back to Hamilton himself to see that these rights are protected and defended for
all Americans.

Over the past few days, the seditious, foreign-backed treasonous elements that lie within this country,
in every city, in every neighbourhood, has burst forth from their hidden dens and taken to the streets.
These are not Americans. They are not peacefully assembling. They are unlawful seditionists, urged by
foreign forces to rise up to destroy our way of life, to destroy our America.

I pledge to you, the American People, that this decision was not taken lightly. The President has signed
off on this measure, and the Speaker of the House has indicated he shall not oppose this measure. In
addition to the recently imposed curfew, I am now declaring a State of Emergency to now exist in our
Great Republic. All public activities between the hours of 5PM River Standard Time and 8AM River
Standard Time have been suspended. The Homeland Defence Act has been activated, and control of
the United States Military has now passed under direct control of the Privy Council. I have now
instructed the 3rd Airborne Division to be deployed to Columbus to restore order to that city.

I urge all law-abiding residents to respect these new rules. They will be temporary, and we shall not be
defeated. The forces of sedition and treason will be defeated! We can, and we must, triumph.

And to those who seek to destroy our way of life, destroy our America. You will fail. We are coming for you.
And we will find you.

Long Live our Great Republic!

...This has been an Emergency Broadcast from the Presidential Palace, Cincinnati...

Last edited:
Now this is a US that needs MAXIMUM BULLY!

EDIT: I assume Egypt is TTL's equivalent to Iran.

Egypt is, indeed, run by a Fundamentalist government.

Even if it isn't, that's still an invasion of an immense country of great economic strength with a likely hypernationalistic, if possibly disarmed, population and a serious industrial base. Not something to be taken lightly, especially when the bulk of the liberating force would have to be mustered from around the globe against a consolidated enemy. Mobilising the navy is one thing, an attempted occupation of the United States is quite another. In OTL, The USA has not invaded Iran because the international backlash and likely casualties would be far too costly, despite America being the sole superpower and Iran both weaker and more repressive (by my estimation) than TTL US . In this world Britain is not the global hegemon by any means, Russia holds the title of Strongest Single Nation, though Britain is magnified by the empire, and the ratio of power between TTL!UK: America is much more in America's favour than OTL!USA:Iran. That doesn't even factor in Russian or Japanese reactions to Britain making a defacto North American Imperial expansion or the fact that while life seems nicest in the UK, they don't seem exactly like a shining city on a hill by our standards (even if in this timeline ITV and Channel 5 don't exist, while bake off will still be on the BBC where it belongs).

TLDR; Intervention is likely too costly, it might not succeed, the international backlash to acting unilaterally would be nasty and Britain might not want to.

This is absolutely the case. There is little appetite, for any nation, to engage in a full-scale invasion of a highly-militarised country that has an *extreme* terrain advantage... and that's not even talking about the logistical problems any invading country will need to coordinate the attack across an ocean. Even with Canada and/or New England, it would be impossible to keep such moves secret before the United States could launch a first strike. Simply put... there's no political will, and no practical way of doing it.

TBH, the United States in Our Fair Country sounded a little too rosy to me. I think this TL is a more realistic portrayal of a United States where the political balance is in the South's favor during the formative years.

Speaking of which, what is the state of the America's Carribean states? Given how racist TTL America is, I'm willing to bet that they'd face immense pressure to adopt Anglo-Saxon culture.

The Caribbean states, for the most part, speak English. The slaveholding elite in those territories were, for the most part, rapidly integrated into the American elite.

Stupendous editing.

Also, Jesus--with the head of government openly walking around in military uniform, I'm surprised the U.S. still had elections.

Thank you!

The United States does still have elections. They are considered "Unfree" and "Unfair," by all metrics. Here is a quick example from Ohio in the last Congressional election:
Cwynk8J.png

The actual numbers are just projections, of course, compiled by the research team in London who study American elections.

As an aside, this is the first time any Chairman or President has appeared in military uniform.
They probably still do. Although, they, like most dictatorships, are likely just for show.

Surprisingly, still consequential. The game is just rigged. The house always wins.

Last edited:
Thank you!

The United States does still have elections. They are considered "Unfree" and "Unfair," by all metrics. Here is a quick example from Ohio in the last Congressional election:
Cwynk8J.png

The actual numbers are just projections, of course, compiled by the research team in London who study American elections.
Interesting.

I imagine this world does not accept the idea of republicanism's virtues the same as OTL does. It is telling that of the five largest economies, only one does not have at least a nominal monarch, and also happens to be a repressive oligarchy.
As an aside, this is the first time any Chairman or President has appeared in military uniform.
I really do love that about your TL's; we get to peek into a world that, while visible only through static pictures and graphs, is clearly dynamic, with some nations moving towards greater equality while another stands on the cusp of either revolution or true despotism.

Last edited:

PNWKing

Banned
I imagine this world does not accept the idea of republicanism's virtues the same OTL does. It is telling that of the five largest economies, only one does not have at least a nominal monarch, and also happens to be a repressive oligarchy.

I don't know about California. I wonder who the leader is. My guess considering how Hispanic-dominated the culture is is someone like Loretta Sanchez (OTL Congresswoman) or Hilda Solis (OTL Secretary of Labor under Barack Obama and member of the Los Angeles City Council.)

“Larry Hogan dressed in a military uniform and declaring martial law to purge dissidents” is the kinda fun on this site that really puts a smile on my face. I also love the little details in the background, like Hogan standing behind a portrait of Hamilton and the flag on the left being altered to match the US flag ITTL.

Over the past few days, the seditious, foreign-backed treasonous elements that lie within this country,
in every city, in every neighbourhood, has burst forth from their hidden dens and taken to the streets.
These are not Americans. They are not peacefully assembling. They are unlawful seditionists, urged by
foreign forces to rise up to destroy our way of life, to destroy our America.
Are there any specific countries being referenced when the government talks of "foreign-backed" seditionists? Is there, or has there ever been, something akin to OTL Cold War?