These Fair Shores: The Commonwealth of New England

How World War III starts ITTL:
Larry Hogan, looking at a map of the world: "The Canadian Ambassador sneezed on a portrait of Hamilton. Wipe this pathetic planet from the face of the galaxy."

6t2816y.png

N.B. Yes... this really is the entire article in-universe.
It's interesting to see that the congressional map doesn't look very gerrymandered , is there anything different ITTL that makes redistricting fairer?

unknown.png

it had been posted on the discord
It's... a mess of various electoral systems lmao
Considering the US has more seats in a smaller area, some of these cities have rather fewer seats than I expected - like Pennsylvania, or whatever Chicago is called ITTL.

I'm assuming New York has grown much less ITTL, due to the existence of New England, and the alt-US being a much less appealing place to live, so that is more realistic IMO.

EDIT: I'm assuming Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana (probably Iowa and Cheyenne as well) are states that award all of their seats to the plurality - I can't see any of those states having populations so low as to only having one representative each. Especially given the fact that Arapaho has four seats.

I can accept Bighorn having just one seat because of its low population, and maybe Yellowstone.

Last edited:
Wow. This America is very grim, to say the least.

What's the UTC offset for RST? Which parts of the USA are in RST?

It can be rather grim, yes...

RST (River Standard Time) has a UTC offset of -6. The majority of the United States is on RST, with some of the fringe areas being on different timezones. The New York Special Economic Region itself is on UTC-4, to sync with New England, which it trades with more than it does the river states.

Interesting.

I imagine this world does not accept the idea of republicanism's virtues the same as OTL does. It is telling that of the five largest economies, only one does not have at least a nominal monarch, and also happens to be a repressive oligarchy.

I really do love that about your TL's; we get to peek into a world that, while visible only through static pictures and graphs, is clearly dynamic, with some nations moving towards greater equality while another stands on the cusp of either revolution or true despotism.

Republicanism is considered an aberration from the norm, and a successful one is considered even more of an aberration.

Thank you! This is exactly what I try and showcase with my work.

I don't know about California. I wonder who the leader is. My guess considering how Hispanic-dominated the culture is is someone like Loretta Sanchez (OTL Congresswoman) or Hilda Solis (OTL Secretary of Labor under Barack Obama and member of the Los Angeles City Council.)

California is, indeed, considered part of Latin America, and Spanish is spoken by the vast majority of people. Most of the population is mestizo, and most of the white population are Anglos who came from Canada (a few from the United States too) during the Gold Rush.

Are there any specific countries being referenced when the government talks of "foreign-backed" seditionists? Is there, or has there ever been, something akin to OTL Cold War?
Considering this America's leadership, wouldn't be surprised if Hogan said "Countries that aren't America"

Whenever "foreign-backed seditionists" or similar slogans come up, the "foreign" aspect is never explicitly named. Easier that way.

Are there any seperatist groups in the Caribbean states? If so, do they receive any foreign support?

Oh there are loads of separatist groups in the Caribbean. There is presently an active war against Cuban rebels, for one, and has been for quite some time. They do not receive foreign support, mostly from other countries not bothering, or being unable to reach Cuba or Santo Domingo.

Finally caught up to this reboot, and thankfully I'm once again very relieved to be living in New England ITTL. Is Brooklyn part of a tri-city transportation network like in the original, or is the entire area very much under a hard border with few transportation links?

Hah! Good to have you along!

I shall touch on the status of New York Harbour. Maybe with a historical article, as it is radically different than OFC.

Military junta for the United States?

Close to it.

Dictator-Hogan giving me Leon Brezhnev vibes.

What's the situation between Cincinnati and the Hamilton F. D. ? Are they more or less one-and-the-same?

Heh.

Cincinnati is capital city of the United States, located in the Hamilton Federal District. Cincinnati is a City-County, but there are 4 other counties inside the Federal District, along with separate municipalities and towns. There's even a few farms, still.

Thumbs up for the "Imperial" Armed Forces, the North Sea Empire of Norway, that Illyria is not in a lot of tatters, the Spanish monarchy of The Canaries, Russia and China as monarchies, the Indian Union, the Ottoman monarchy, Mesopotamia, Arabia, Burma, the smaller African communities, Abyssinia, Canadian Alaska, Newfoundland, Guiana, the neo Inca state...

A list of countries with their classification of political structure/ forms of government and official state name perhaps if it's interesting? I was intrigued by the categorisation 'Presidential Council-Republic' tbh.
I'd for one be interested in the micro states of TFS, Idk, city states, like Athos; Singapore is missing, etc.

Sorry, I've only found my way here this morning, I was waiting for Ship of State to be announced on the OFC thread, I didn't realize TFS was already up by Christmas.

Thank you!!

I will see if I can get something like that done. I did have plans for explaining those governmental systems...

There are a few city-states around. The most important of which would be Darwin, which occupies a Singapore-type role.

Good to have you along! Ship of State was a project that rapidly spiralled out of my ability to keep up with and create content for, so I used it as a learning experience for this endeavour.

Shamelessly reposted from the AH.com Memes thread.
screenshot_2021-03-09-kw4renj-jpg-jpeg-image-900-%C3%97-492-pixels-png.632059

Absolutely brilliant!

Question: How long before Hogan orders carpet bombing Ohio?

I assume one day we shall hear more from the Hermit Republic...

Gotta love the fact that there's a party literally just called "Americans Assemble", complete with a comma and exclamation mark.

Clearly they didn't do a good job assembling based on the election returns

Nice attention to detail! (Or in this case, lack thereof). Very weird to see the US getting little attention from the world compared to OTL. I have some questions
  • I'm noticing that none of the sources are from American news networks; is there a reason why?
  • Do they even have Wikipedia in the US?
  • Why doesn't Gordon Jones have a portrait in the box?
  • What are Hamiltonism and Americanism? I'm assuming both of them go hand-in-hand

Thank you!

1) American news sources are exceptionally biased, and do not fit Wikipedia's editorial standards.
2) It is blocked for hosting "seditious content," which "could be used to foster treason." The American internal network has its own online encyclopedia. Which might show up soon...
3) The legislature doesn't televise its hearings, nor does it post pictures on its external websites. The editors for this page simply did not have access to his picture.
4) Hamiltonism is the belief that the United States does not need a direct-democracy type system, that too much Democracy is a bad thing, and that it can lead to the corruption of the government and the people. Instead, it champions that it took a "Great Man" (like Hamilton) to actually run the country, run the government, and become the 'Father of the People' (this is a recent development). Americanism is political isolationism, insofar that the Constitution is an infallible document, and the political systems from outside the United States are absolutely unworkable, and any suggestions of reform or changes is paramount to treason.

Forgive me if I’m a little confused, but how did the opposition manage to win in such an undemocratic system?

Traditional methods of fraud and tampering can only go so far. There are only so many ballots you can stuff into a box, so many opposition ballots you can throw out, voters you can intimidate. This country maintains the appearance of a democratic country purely for internal purposes. What it cannot contend with is an actual massive surge in voters. The 2018 result likely mirrored 2020's "official" popular vote before tampering. And with tampering in 2020, the LPPs victory was probably even more lopsided. But, as you can tell by current events, it's not like the LPP's legislative control is amounting to much.

The Privy Council holds the most power now in the U.S and there is no way for the LPP to control the body as it is rigged by the DSU.

This is correct. The Executive is by far and away the most powerful institution in the United States. The Legislature is little more than a rubber stamp or a temporary roadblock.

It's interesting to see that the congressional map doesn't look very gerrymandered , is there anything different ITTL that makes redistricting fairer?

Who needs gerrymandering when you can stuff the ballot boxes, have paramilitaries chase off opposition voters, and have legislative districts that are not even close proportionally representative?

Is there any chance that we could get the election map by itself, so that we may drool over it at full resolution?
Considering the US has more seats in a smaller area, some of these cities have rather fewer seats than I expected - like Pennsylvania, or whatever Chicago is called ITTL.

I'm assuming New York has grown much less ITTL, due to the existence of New England, and the alt-US being a much less appealing place to live, so that is more realistic IMO.

EDIT: I'm assuming Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana (probably Iowa and Cheyenne as well) are states that award all of their seats to the plurality - I can't see any of those states having populations so low as to only having one representative each. Especially given the fact that Arapaho has four seats.

I can accept Bighorn having just one seat because of its low population, and maybe Yellowstone.

The previous map was posted prematurely. I had submitted it to the folks on discord to look over first, and after some feedback, I have added the number of legislative seats each state has that award by plurality. And yes, this means that winning by one vote in Ohio will net you 35 seats. Which... as the graphic I posted earlier shows was quite "close" officially, despite being widely believed to be an electoral blowout.

That being said... There is absolutely no law of any time that demands seats be equal in population. It is not even expected. New Orleans, as a city, is about twice as large as Cincinnati, yet Cincinnati and New Orleans have the same number of seats.

Hqp6xlB.png

Thanks.

But that means there are eight states that award their seats to the statewide plurality winner, not seven - Bighorn, Cheyenne, Delaware, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Ohio and Yellowstone.

Unless one of these aren't technically states. Which would explain the discrepancy between the number of named subdivisions (not including Hamilton FD) and the number of stars being off by one.

Is there an autonomous native territory or something? Or can territories elect representatives anyway?

Last edited:
Are there any security issues of some sort in southwestern New England and southeastern Canada given their proximity to the US?

Thanks.

But that means there are eight states that award their seats to the statewide plurality winner, not seven - Bighorn, Cheyenne, Delaware, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Ohio and Yellowstone.

Unless one of these aren't technically states. Which would explain the discrepancy between the number of named subdivisions (not including Hamilton FD) and the number of stars being off by one.

Is there an autonomous native territory or something? Or can territories elect representatives anyway?

It should be eight, yeah. When I was counting while writing the article I forgot Delaware. My bad!

There are 38 states, and 38 stars.

It does some very malapportioned to me, especially Illinois and North Carolina

Absolutely. Both of those states use a county-based system for drawing districts, where the primary goal is to keep the number of counties in each district the same.

I'm wondering if this has to do with the number of "people who likely won't vote for the correct party".

A fair bit of this, yeah.

Are there any security issues of some sort in southwestern New England and southeastern Canada given their proximity to the US?

The border between New England and the United States is patrolled by both sides generally, the U.S. more than New England. Southern New York requires internal passports to both leave and enter (as it is the easiest to jump over to New England from) as an American, and an internal passport is generally needed to access areas where there are bridges or border crossings into New England. I/e, a border crossing in the Albany area needs your internal passport to enter the zone, and then your external passport to exit the country, and you need legitimate reason to leave. The overland border between New England and the United States is fenced.

The Canadian Coast Guard patrols the great lakes and rivers that make up the border between the two countries, and a fence extends out to about the lake Winnipeg area. The Canadian government is generally open to refugees, and has an extant American resettlement programme.

How do British Historians grade Hamilton? I assume he's treated like a demi-god in American histography.

Hamilton himself is graded fairly well among British historians. Much of the problems the United States had came from well after his term in office, and the overall consensus at the moment appears to be that the unamended Constitution could have worked, but the current one... absolutely not.

I have quadruple checked the US map, and I keep getting 37 states.

Ah, right - on my spreadsheet I do not differentiate the Federal District from the rest of the states. The Federal District also does get a star.

I get the feeling that TTL America wouldn't be too keen on giving Native Americans autonomy.
Well, they do not have citizenship, but they are generally left alone. There was never major expansionism into the west, with the focus being the Caribbean and the numerous expansionist wars there. The DSU has, today, built ample relations with the indigenous community and they are some of the regime's strongest supporters. The regime promises to simply ignore the west, and often makes vague threats on how it all could change if the government was to vanish. They are not citizens, however. Most of the indigenous population remains without American citizenship, and thus cannot vote anyway.

Ah, right - on my spreadsheet I do not differentiate the Federal District from the rest of the states. The Federal District also does get a star.
That explains that, then. :)

I assume the FD is treated like a state for most purposes as a result.
Well, they do not have citizenship, but they are generally left alone. There was never major expansionism into the west, with the focus being the Caribbean and the numerous expansionist wars there. The DSU has, today, built ample relations with the indigenous community and they are some of the regime's strongest supporters. The regime promises to simply ignore the west, and often makes vague threats on how it all could change if the government was to vanish. They are not citizens, however. Most of the indigenous population remains without American citizenship, and thus cannot vote anyway.
Interesting.

I assume that there are still Native reservations ITTL. Are they more extensive ITTL? Do they have similar levels of self-government?

So perhaps this has been answered but what is the Privy Council and what does it do? Or just what the US government looks like in general?

Deleted member 139407

So perhaps this has been answered but what is the Privy Council and what does it do? Or just what the US government looks like in general?
Take a look at pages 16 and 17, my friend.