These Fair Shores: The Commonwealth of New England

BBC News: 08-Mar-2021
ychdqRU.png

To quote a certain fictional anchorman: "Well that escalated quickly".

On another note, you mentioned that the dominions are protected by the Royal Navy. Do the dominions still have their own navies?

Deleted member 139407

Goodness me! Great update! I love how the United states is referred to as a "hermit republic" in the headline. I also love how Mexico, compared to OTL, pulled a reverse UNO card and closed the border on the US. Nice touches!

General Questions: What do the acronyms DSU and LPP stand for? What's California's government up to?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh... I didn't realize just how bad the US government is ITTL. That's interesting. This world seems actually quite a bit worse off compared to OTL, at least for the Anglosphere.

Now that is a dark United States. A slaveholding economy enduring longer than OTL, a transition to monopoly capitalism (complete with company towns) lasting into the 21st century, with a formal system of apartheid up to the 1990s and Jim Crow-style voting restrictions into the present day, and a reactionary ruling class blocking every hint of reform after briefly seeing its grip on power slip. Throw in the McCarthy-esque "Committee on the Protection of the Constitution," widespread censorship, and security forces using live ammunition on protesters...

Bra-vo, CosmicAsh. This is one of the most horrifying takes on an Evil USA I've seen since Decades of Darkness. And this Ugly America isn't even a main focus of this TL!

Now that is a dark United States. A slaveholding economy enduring longer than OTL, a transition to monopoly capitalism (complete with company towns) lasting into the 21st century, with a formal system of apartheid up to the 1990s and Jim Crow-style voting restrictions into the present day, and a reactionary ruling class blocking every hint of reform after briefly seeing its grip on power slip. Throw in the McCarthy-esque "Committee on the Protection of the Constitution," widespread censorship, and security forces using live ammunition on protesters...

Bra-vo, CosmicAsh. This is one of the most horrifying takes on an Evil USA I've seen since Decades of Darkness. And this Ugly America isn't even a main focus of this TL!
It's kinda dark, but compared to the Madnessverse, this is sunshine and lollipops.

I blame Hamilton becoming the first president for the rigid oligarchy the USA has become, which I think has been carried over from the first timeline.
The musical doesn't really convey how much of an authoritarian bastard he was, lord only knows what he would have been like without Washington to set the example.

Oh... I didn't realize just how bad the US government is ITTL. That's interesting. This world seems actually quite a bit worse off compared to OTL, at least for the Anglosphere.
Well... If they skipped out on the Holocaust, Stalin, the Raj, Mao and SOME of the ravages of colonialism, particularly in Australia and New Zealand (?) I THINK I'd still take this TL, even if life is less bright.

Goodness me! Great update! I love how the United states is referred to as a "hermit republic" in the headline. I also love how Mexico, compared to OTL, pulled a reverse UNO card and closed the border on the US. Nice touches!

General Questions: What do the acronyms DSU and LPP stand for? What's California's government up to?
DSU = Democratic Social Union
LPP = Liberal Progressive Party
1. Why Brazil is fucked up ITTL, and why?
2. The Egyptian Government seems like Iran ITTL.
The US of ITTL is bleak, with Constitutional Protection Unit acting like the American Stasi, Good job, @CosmicAsh

Last edited: