The Rainbow. A World War One on Canada's West Coast Timeline

For those placing pins on a map, Nürnberg's last reported position was in Fitz Hugh Sound, August 18 at 1500 hours. She shows up at Ucluelet, August 20, at 1400 hours. Elapsed Time: 47 hours. Distance covered: 300 Nautical Miles. Average speed required 6 1/2 knots. Available Route: The wide open Pacific.

Driftless

Donor
Leipzig's crew can be tapped to help with the prize crews; or the two captains could decide to shorten the roster. Some of the more marginal prizes become fish habitat

For those placing pins on a map, Nürnberg's last reported position was in Fitz Hugh Sound, August 18 at 1500 hours. She shows up at Ucluelet, August 20, at 1400 hours. Elapsed Time: 47 hours. Distance covered: 300 Nautical Miles. Average speed required 6 1/2 knots. Available Route: The wide open Pacific.
And Leipzig departs San Francisco August 19, 0000 hours. Arrives Ucluelet August 20, 1445 hours. Elapsed time 38:45 hours. Distance covered: 700 Nautical Miles. Average speed 18 knots.

Last edited:
Edit: Added to the last chapter, entitled a Hive of Activity.

Princess Charlotte had created quite a stir among the locals when she had arrived at the government dock, built for ships a third of her size. Much of the population had turned out to gawk, which had helped Von Spee’s landing party take them all prisoner, and seize the telegraph office. Two boats with boarding parties were poised to rapidly capture any wireless equipped ships in port. Von Spee’s quick survey of the visible masts of the moored fishing fleet revealed only two wireless antennas, on a pair of rusty whaling ships rafted together at anchor, tarpaulined and showing no smoke. When boarded, the whalers proved to have no crews aboard. So the town appeared to be deserted when Nürnberg, and her supply fleet entered the harbour.

Ucluelet’s fishing fleet amounted to several score of assorted fish boats tied up to wharves, sitting at anchor, or pulled up on the beach. These the Germans ignored. The two rusty whaling ships, each the general size and design of the Galiano, sat idle at anchor and unmanned, waiting to be refit and sent out on their next voyage to feed the voracious whale rendering factory up the Sound at Seshart. The whalers had critical engine parts removed and thrown overboard, and were then scuttled in place.

This gives more clarity to what was actually in the port, specifically wireless equipped ships that could sound the alarm, for whatever good that would do.

You know, while earlier I criticized the rate of the submarines induction into service, I think this is an excellently written tl overall. Even with the subs you have a clear and plausible explanation.

I've been sitting in a NICU with my boy for the last couple weeks (great timing for Corona to get me off work, actually), and it's been nice to have something to read.

Couple of thoughts/potential guesses-

-Talking about the coal dust settling all over Nurnberg could well be foreshadowing

-Given the name of the TL, I doubt that the Rainbow is going to die ignominiously

-The Germans need to be really, really careful about landing parties. If a landing party iwere to be ambushed in a town it'd be really difficult to support them with naval heavy weaponry. If whatever vessel is in port cannot get a direct line of sight the landing party is in a tight spot, and given the stretched crews... a handful of casualties means abandoning a commerce raider.

-The threat of raiding is causing more damage to the war then the physical raids. The towns shot up mean an overall small effect, but all West Canadian shipping stopping for the time being is a real issue. This means that its is the German interests to last as long as possible.

-While hunting the Germans is hard, what can do them in eventually is loss of fuel access. Even CA's with battlecruiser support would struggle to find them in the north Pacific but the Germans can't quite go coaling at halifax.

-Itd be interesting to see the long term view of this. It has the potential to be as glorified as Rommel in Africa or as vilified as the Germans in 1914 Belgium.

A great hurrah
Aug 20, 1500 hours. SMS Nürnberg, Ucluelet Harbour.

On Von Schönberg’s orders, the Nürnberg sounded her siren in a series of short greeting whoops. A great hurrah rose up from the German sailors on Nürnberg’s fleet and ashore, and an answering cheer was heard faintly across the water from Leipzig. The newly arrived cruiser turned and entered the harbour at dead slow. Following close behind Leipzig, Von Schönberg was astonished to see an ocean liner of no less than 10,000 tons. The liner did not even consider entering the small outer basin anchorage, and slowly drew past the harbour mouth up the channel outside. Clearly, there were stories to be told, and plans to be made.

Nürnberg had been coaling for hours and was essentially topped up, so she cast off to make space for Leipzig. After rafting beside Bengrove, and commencing to top up his own bunkers, Friggattenkapitan Haun took a boat over to Nürnberg, to meet with his superior officer.

Nürnberg anchored at the very mouth of Ucluelet harbour, concealed from seaward except for her smoke, but ready to dash out to sea on very short notice. Galiano passed her by and headed out to resume her role as patrol ship.

“Well, well!” said Von Schönberg, as Captain Haun climbed Nürnberg’s ladder. “I see someone has been busy.” The men shook hands, having last met off the coast of Mexico well over a month ago, before there was even a hint of a war.

“I could say the same of you,” responded Haun jovially. “Not enough to just find a secluded inlet, eh? You have to invade Canada, again.”

“Yes, well, I was bought here by the same orders you were,” said Von Schönberg, “to meet with this trade commissioner, and I have some good news about that. But once we came here, we simply had to take measures to prevent our presence from being reported, for now.” He gave Haun a quick briefing on their situation. Then he fed Haun the opening for what he was obviously dying to talk about. “So what is it with that great big liner? I’m surprised such a prize is available for the catching these days.”

“Yes, she is fine, isn’t she,” answered Haun, beaming. “RMS Niagara, from the Union Line of New Zealand. Apparently they consider their commerce to be so important that they continue, despite the shipping stop. Which is fortunate for us. We ran into her out of the blue this morning, well off shore, but in the shipping lane to Vancouver. She had the nerve to try an outrun us! If you can imagine. And it took us a while to chase her down. She got up to faster than seventeen knots. Over 13,000 GRT. We have been completely dry for our whole time here, not a prize to be had on the entire coast of America. They we bag 13,000 tons in one go!”

Von Schönberg had been nodding along with Haun’s story. “She would make an excellent armed cruiser,” he remarked.

“Yes, and the Brits won’t be able to use her for that now, or as a troopship. She is taking up 70 of my men, as the barest skeleton crew and gaurds. Unfortunately,” said Haun sadly, “she is oil fired, so we can only do so much with her.”

“As things turn out,” Von Schönberg interjected, smiling, “We picked up a full oil tanker in Prince Rupert harbour. We have four thousand tons of fuel oil on tap.”

“You seem to have had some success in these waters,” offered Haun appreciatively.

“That we have.” Von Schönberg replied, with false modesty. “Thirty three vessels, thirty five now if you count those whalers,” he said, gesturing at the tilting masts sticking out of the north end of the harbour. “A total of 85,000 tons sunk or captured. As well as destroying a copper smelter, two wood pulp mills, a 20,000 ton floating dry dock, a key railroad bridge, and capturing and interning a company of infantry.”

Haun raised his eyebrows and whistled. “Yes, I read about that last one in the San Francisco Chronicle. Did you know I was interviewed in the San Francisco Chronicle?”

“How about that?” said Von Schönberg. “Performing your role as a cultural ambassador in neutral America, no doubt.” He chuckled, then said with mock exaggerated enthusiasm, “And I, in turn, was interviewed in the Anyox and Alice Arm Herald.”

The two captains’ conversation was interrupted by a great laughter close at hand. Lieutenant Radl had been approaching the officers, and caught the last half of the conversation. “Oh my lord!” he exclaimed. “If that is the kind of pissing contest you two are going to get into I am terrified of our next adventure.”

“Captain Haun,” said Von Schönberg, “let me introduce Lieutenant Radl.”

If we're still operating even somewhat according to OTL events, I doubt the Germans will last into September. Japan enters WWI on August 23 and dispatches Izumo to British Columbia where she arrives on August 25. HMS Newcastle is making her way from Yokohama and arrives on August 30. Izumo herself is rather old and slow however, she's very well armored and extremely well armed compared to anything the Germans have, largely 4" guns. Newcastle has the speed to run down basically any German ship while also dishing out some serious punishment. All of the German captured ships are basically cannon fodder at this point and would have to be cut loose for the German cruisers to hope to escape.

Either way, I can't see this going well for the Germans. The noose is slowly tightening and depending on what Rainbow does (hopefully doesn't get captured :coldsweat:), she can do some damage and chip into the effectiveness of the makeshift German fleet.

I don’t remember what the prize rules were at this time, but would there be any monetary gains if they sent the prizes to a US port? Not for the officers and crew, but for the German government.

I don’t remember what the prize rules were at this time, but would there be any monetary gains if they sent the prizes to a US port? Not for the officers and crew, but for the German government.
Articles 21 and 22 of Hague 13 posted below are most relevant. The Americans would be obliged to give the ships back to their former owners and inter the prize crews. This is what the USRC Snohomish was attempting to enforce at Ketchikan in the chapter entitled Stars and Stripes.

Well, at this point is there anything holding back the Germans in Canadian waters? They could gather up their flotilla and leave for the Galapagos and then the Easter Islands.
Of course that wouldn't be the final showdown we're all eager to see but I think that would make sense. Especially after such great successes, if the Germans stay North they might be pushing their luck...

Well, at this point is there anything holding back the Germans in Canadian waters? They could gather up their flotilla and leave for the Galapagos and then the Easter Islands.
Of course that wouldn't be the final showdown we're all eager to see but I think that would make sense. Especially after such great successes, if the Germans stay North they might be pushing their luck...

Honestly at this point, it seems like the Germans are overconfident with their success and the seemingly complete lack of effective responses on the side of the Canadians. I'm betting that they are going to either detach their smaller units to make as much damage as possible while leaving or they are going to overstay their welcome until they get smacked by cruisers or submarines.

Honestly at this point, it seems like the Germans are overconfident with their success and the seemingly complete lack of effective responses on the side of the Canadians. I'm betting that they are going to either detach their smaller units to make as much damage as possible while leaving or they are going to overstay their welcome until they get smacked by cruisers or submarines.
That is also the feeling I have, especially after this last chapter. I just hope for them they know better.

Driftless

Donor
Von Schoenburg and Haun appear to be intelligent officers. I would imagine the conversation following the general back-slapping congratulations will be much more serious. I'd guess they would anticipate the imminent arrival of superior British and Japanese ships. But what to do in the meantime? How many of the prize ships will be useful vs. returning some of the crews to the mother ships? What is the best use of the prize ships - keep them active in Canadian waters raising hell, scuttle some and re-allocate the prize crews, dispatch one or two of the more seaworthy towards Mexico and South America till they're captured/sunk? Apart from the Niagara, are any of the prizes open-Pacific capable?

ferdi254

Banned
Well but this is the best thing they could do. Move up and down the coast and do as much damage as possible. They will run out of shells one day and best to use them up in damaging the economy then in an hopeless fight against superior British or Japanese ships.

Articles 21 and 22 of Hague 13 posted below are most relevant. The Americans would be obliged to give the ships back to their former owners and inter the prize crews. This is what the USRC Snohomish was attempting to enforce at Ketchikan in the chapter entitled Stars and Stripes.

It would seem that Article 23 allows a prize to be sequestered in a neutral port pending a Prize Court hearing. Can the U.S. convene a prize court?

So where is the rest of the East Asia Squadron?
OTL, Von Spee's main force arrived at Enewtak atoll, in the Marshall Islands, August 20, and were coaling. The German Naval Intelligence Officer at the San Francisco consulate gives a detailed ITTL description of disposition of the rest of the East Asiatic Squadron in the chapter entitled No Bona Fide Position. Hint: It is pretty much the same, excluding the Nürnberg. Leipzig is exactly as OTL on the 18th when that chapter is taking place, but then departs to TTL at midnight.

Nick P

Donor
What is the purpose of the German forces capturing these ships as opposed to sinking them?

By sinking them their contents (now and future) are denied to their owners and the Allied forces in general. But when you put a prize crew aboard you must have a plan to profit from that action. Were they planning to sail down to Mexico or Chile and sell the cargo or go all the way back to Germany with a trifling load that matters little?

Von Schoenburg and Haun appear to be intelligent officers. I would imagine the conversation following the general back-slapping congratulations will be much more serious. I'd guess they would anticipate the imminent arrival of superior British and Japanese ships. But what to do in the meantime? How many of the prize ships will be useful vs. returning some of the crews to the mother ships? What is the best use of the prize ships - keep them active in Canadian waters raising hell, scuttle some and re-allocate the prize crews, dispatch one or two of the more seaworthy towards Mexico and South America till they're captured/sunk? Apart from the Niagara, are any of the prizes open-Pacific capable?

Might they be thinking of a raid on Victoria? Attacking Victoria would be a propaganda coup. Though the Germans know the city is defended and on high alert. Sailing on to Vancouver would be going too far though.

I do wonder what the USA thinks about all this hostile activity. Send reinforcements to Juneau? More frequent patrols of Washington state waters?

Last edited: