Operation Sea Lion (1974 Sandhurst Wargame)

Source
I'll add that the German 'chutes operation meant that the users landed spreadeagled, with a large number of sprained wrists, broken fingers, etc.

Huh, I thought all you needed to do with give a guy a parachute and lo! suddenly you have 60,000 Germans in the Isle of Wight.

Huh, I thought all you needed to do with give a guy a parachute and lo! suddenly you have 60,000 Germans in the Isle of Wight.
Parachutes, they don't need no steenking parachutes! These are Germans they can jump out of aircraft & land under the power of their manly Germaness

Yes. I agree. As we know, Sea Lion/Wightlion can only work if every man in the British government starts drinking the strategic supply of lead paint into oblivion.

chernobyl meme supply 1.jpg

Wow, 100 pages...
Missed 100 but now we are at 150!

How many minefields and coastal batteries did the KM have at Narvik?
Exactly as many as they will have on IOW
My guess would be that about the first time an "R" Class battleship drops 400 x 15" HE rounds on Ventor and killed 300 British civilians, that the rest of the British civilians on IOW are leaving for Portsmouth on anything that will float, and the Germans will not stop them. When they got to Portsmouth, they would ask why Churchill ordered such a bombardment? Cabinet crisis?
It would all be blamed on Germans anyway......
The airbase network in northern France was probably not suitable in the period June 15-July 15 for the type of softening up required to remove the RN from Portsmouth prior to an assault on IOW. Nor could all bombing missions be made against one port target. But, from bases in Belgium and Germany, using radio navigational aids and attacking at night, it would require thousands of bombing sorties concentrated on the naval dockyards and piers for a matter of weeks. To assault IOW by airborne, Portsmouth had to be largely neutralised by LW attacks first. Since the Battle of France was over, the entire OOB of the Luftwaffe twin engine level bombing forces were available for such a mission, less the HE-111's that had to be used for airborne transport.
And they are suitable for beams over England?

It's the tempo of airborne operations that is the problem. An airborne assault is a massive infusion in the timeframe of days. What you are talking about would require weeks to prepare, by which time there could be 60,000 German troops on IOW and there are so many airfields that the British army could expend its entire artillery shell reserve and still not effectively interdict.
What tempo are you talking about can the Germans bend time?

So Glenn, because you continue to misunderstand me, let me ask this one more time. How are the Germans, who are supplied and inserted entirely via air, as there are NO suitable ports in the South of the IoW, going to prevent a British landing to retake the Isle? It doesn't matter how big the initial garrison is. The question is how a bunch of light infantry with no mines, no armor, no artillery heavier then 37mm or so, and contested air superority AT BEST are going to prevent the British from taking back the Isle?

And let's not forget that a good portion of these 60,000 or so 'Paratroopers' are just line infantry given a hasty at best course on how to not die jumping out of a plane. So most of them have broken ankles or arms or what not from bad landings. And are hence little more then a liability. Oops, turns out that Paratroopers are not just Infantry "Thrown out of a Plane."

Because Unlike the Germans, the British DO have everything they need to launch a successful invasion of the Isle, and they actually ARE within 20 miles of their major naval base in the south, which even intensive bombardment was unable to drive the RN out.

My guess would be that about the first time an "R" Class battleship drops 400 x 15" HE rounds on Ventor and killed 300 British civilians, that the rest of the British civilians on IOW are leaving for Portsmouth on anything that will float, and the Germans will not stop them. When they got to Portsmouth, they would ask why Churchill ordered such a bombardment? Cabinet crisis?

"I'm sorry for your losses, but the Bombardment must continue."

Case closed. Everyone will think it's terribly tragic but don't you know there's a war on?

Last edited:

Ian_W

Banned
I don't think the British had a snowball's chance in Hell of holding IOW if this was airborne-seaborne assaulted in July 1940. I doubt you do either.

This is true. It is also utterly irrelevant, because the effort the Germans have to put into holding IOW means a weaker Sealion.

Garrison

Donor

Case closed. Everyone will think it's terribly tragic but don't you know there's a war on?

Cynically speaking it would probably be blamed on German guns and if the historians are really lucky the truth will be declassified in the 1970's.

This is true. It is also utterly irrelevant, because the effort the Germans have to put into holding IOW means a weaker Sealion.

Also I'm now thinking the best parallel for this IOW invasion might be the Falklands War, with the Germans in the role of the Argentinians, only with far worse quality logistics and air support.

....tree farmers then....?
yes quite so.......but alas some were in truth working in the fields.there were three along the northshore of lake superior where tree farming was the predominant work.and at least one had fences around it where they kept the diehard nazis.it's now a rather nice provincial park with several miles of beach.not a bad place to camp out for the duration.
Neys%20photo%20and%20info.jpg

The RN could kill THREE THOUSAND civilians bombing the Isle into submission and it wouldn't cause a cabinet crisis.

Censorship would squash most of the reporting on anything that happens anyway. How long did it take for anyone to really learn about the Lancastria?

Cynically speaking it would probably be blamed on German guns and if the historians are really lucky the truth will be declassified in the 1970's.

Yup.

The RN could kill THREE THOUSAND civilians bombing the Isle into submission and it wouldn't cause a cabinet crisis.

Censorship would squash most of the reporting on anything that happens anyway. How long did it take for anyone to really learn about the Lancastria?

Yup.

Wait..so the British will kill 3000 of their own people and it would be a dark and tragic day. Umm..didn't the Nazi's do 'just a little bit more than that' throought their history or are Glen's Notzi's incapable of doing that and only bring peace and love to all people?

As I have said before, other than Somerton, every possible landing field was over looked by high ground, all of which would have to be captured and held before the landing fields could be utilized.
Also modern pictures are quite misleading as even during my life time the fields on the Isle of Wight have been joined up by grubbing out hedges to facilitate the use of machinery. As others have said all the obvious landing fields had been obstructed.
By the way if you get your navigation just a little bit wrong and go to the west of Sandown your lovely shallow draft barges and coasters will be going through the St Catherine's overfalls and tidal race and to the east you have Bembridge ledge just waiting to rip the bottoms out of any wayward vessels!
If I was not laughing so hard at the whole concept of seizing the IOW in 1940 I would be getting miffed at the ignorance of reality being propounded by some posters.
If Even the Nazi's accepted that a cross channel invasion was impossible in 1940 then surely even a bunch of 21st century couch bound fantasists should accept their judgement and that of history, ALT or OTL.

Ian_W

Banned
If Even the Nazi's accepted that a cross channel invasion was impossible in 1940 then surely even a bunch of 21st century couch bound fantasists should accept their judgement and that of history, ALT or OTL.

A *successful* cross channel invasion was impossible in 1940.

There are a number of plans that lead to a German fiasco, and we can add the IoW gambit to that list.