TL-191: Featherston's Finest - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the CSA and Freedom Party

Indeed. We may actually get that again in the Second Great War in Texas and Sequoyah. Despite the perplexingly low priority the region would get, we'd probably be seeing a return to that kind of tactic.

Maybe not. The Confederate war plan relied on KO’ing the US in one blow. Supporting a secondary offensive to retake Sequoyah, at the end of a supply line stretching across the entire states of Texas and Arkansas, might be deemed more trouble than it’s worth. The US could sweep down from Missouri to cut off a thrust into the region, in addition to Dowling’s force moving into West Texas. More likely, I think, the CS might devote a substantial portion of its bomber force to destroying the fields and cutting the railroads that link it to the rest of the US, while hoping to win the war and the territory in Ohio.

So Sequoyah might just be a favorite topic of AH writers ITTL—‘What if Jake Featherston had focused on Sequoyah and retaking pre-GWI Confederate territory?’ Akin to questions like ‘WI Hitler had stopped at Czechoslovakia?’

Colt-Browning_M1895_machine_gun_mid-cycle.jpg

The M1894 Tredegar-Browning machine gun often dub the "masher" by Confederate soldiers was an early air cooled machine gun that was popularly used by Confederate forces during the first great war.

Here's a good look at the uniform the Confederates might have worn in 1914, just before the start of the Great War. I always found it really interesting that, in terms of how fans interpret the various armies, the Confederates essentially look and retain more of the "American" look than the actual United States.

Artwork can be found here --- >>> https://www.deviantart.com/arget-normand/art/Confederate-Trooper-1914-Harry-Turtledove-370450560

By Arget-Normand --- https://www.deviantart.com/arget-normand

confederate_trooper_1914__harry_turtledove__by_arget_normand_d64k1hc-pre.jpg

Here are a few more photos of Native Americans in uniform for the Great War. Again, not much would probably be different uniform wise, but perhaps there would be some differences in insignia.

WW1_Native-Americans.jpg

^^^ --- Definitely a late war look, when the Brodie helmet would likely be universal as the standard frontline headgear.

562_square.jpg

^^^ --- One with a Springfield M1903. If you're thinking of a way this could fit into the lore, perhaps this brave soldier captured it from a US soldier during a trench raid in Oklahoma or Roanoke.

Another interesting thing that I can see temporarily or even permanently being used by the Confederate-Indians and Confederate-Whites --- Native American weaponry, specifically axes, war-clubs, and knives specially made for close-quarters trench-raiding.

While both sides would undoubtedly develop their own close-combat weaponry and "armor" for trench warfare, perhaps on certain fronts in North America the weaponry would take in distinctly regional or tribal aesthetics. Essentially, tribal weapons made from modern materials to be used in frontline trench-combat.

21627931_1.jpg

beaded.jpg

Not saying they should be decorated or anything, but hey. In all likelihood though we would still probably get the same weapons as before --- trench spikes, trench knives, and trench clubs. In this case however, in the Confederate Army they may take on a different form, one more inspired by Native American weaponry.

Another interesting thing that I can see temporarily or even permanently being used by the Confederate-Indians and Confederate-Whites --- Native American weaponry, specifically axes, war-clubs, and knives specially made for close-quarters trench-raiding.

While both sides would undoubtedly develop their own close-combat weaponry and "armor" for trench warfare, perhaps on certain fronts in North America the weaponry would take in distinctly regional or tribal aesthetics. Essentially, tribal weapons made from modern materials to be used in frontline trench-combat.

View attachment 443035
View attachment 443036

Not saying they should be decorated or anything, but hey. In all likelihood though we would still probably get the same weapons as before --- trench spikes, trench knives, and trench clubs. In this case however, in the Confederate Army they may take on a different form, one more inspired by Native American weaponry.
Tomahawks and war clubs would make excellent trench weapons.

Tomahawks and war clubs would make excellent trench weapons.

They'd have to craft the weapons out of materials lying around the trenches perhaps. Very home-made, possibly crude, but very effective. My guess is that the for the fighting in Texas and Sequoyah, the soldiers here would readily craft trench weapons inspired by the ones used by their people in the past.

On potential pre-Great War Confederate uniforms...

Cadets_by_Meirnon.jpg

A mostly ceremonial uniform commonly worn during parade ceremonies and other similar functions. That was quickly dropped following the disastrous lost of First Great War and switched over to more modern styled Freedom Party uniforms during the Featherstone era.

alternate_history_confederate_soldier_by_goeliath_dafx95e-pre.jpg

Early-Mid Great War uniforms still retaining some of the older "ceremonial" aspects of 19th century uniforms.
Source: https://www.deviantart.com/goeliath/art/Alternate-History-Confederate-Soldier-631407506

zouave_pontifical_by_manulacanette_dbebune-pre.jpg

Potential Second Mexican war uniform of the Confederate Army.
Source: https://www.deviantart.com/manulacanette/art/Zouave-Pontifical-689195498

And here it is. An interpretation of the uniform worn by the Confederate States Army (as opposed to the Freedom Party) by the time of the Second Great War in 1941, for TL-191.

The submachine-gun pictured here is the M2 Hyde and the uniform, while predominantly American in look, has a few British elements too.

View attachment 443037

^^^ --- Art by goeliath on DA --- >>> https://www.deviantart.com/goeliath

Link to picture here --- >>> https://www.deviantart.com/goeliath/art/Commission-Confederate-Soldier-787091067
This looks awesome! I could definitely see it being the type of uniform commonly worn by the CS army during the Second Great War.

On potential pre-Great War Confederate uniforms...

A mostly ceremonial uniform commonly worn during parade ceremonies and other similar functions. That was quickly dropped following the disastrous lost of First Great War and switched over to more modern styled Freedom Party uniforms during the Featherstone era.

Early-Mid Great War uniforms still retaining some of the older "ceremonial" aspects of 19th century uniforms.
Source: https://www.deviantart.com/goeliath/art/Alternate-History-Confederate-Soldier-631407506

Potential Second Mexican war uniform of the Confederate Army.
Source: https://www.deviantart.com/manulacanette/art/Zouave-Pontifical-689195498

This looks awesome! I could definitely see it being the type of uniform commonly worn by the CS army during the Second Great War.

Well, thank you, the artist deserves a lot of credit for this one. As you can see its not much different that the US Army BD in our timeline, but with some noticeable alterations --- the absence of green and certain insignia for example.

Yes. With the Confederacy finally independent, and with two wars behind them ensuring that independence stays, along with trading partners like Britain and France, the Confederate Army would finally be able to afford standardized uniforms with an overall standardized looks and color. From 1862 to 1882 that color may have been gray, but after the 1890s it is highly possible that the standard uniform would be switched over to the khaki --- or butternut, as the Confederates like to call it --- mimicking the British BD.

But yes, a more formal and more gray uniform for the Army just before the 20th century is highly likely.

So, how do you guys feel about a Surcouf-style Confederate submarine for the Second Great War?

No, I don't imagine many of them would be built, if at all, but if they did --- maybe two. Just to say the Confederate Navy gave the idea a try.

Surcouf_FRA.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

What the hell am I looking at? And why haven't I've heard of it.

Well, friend, meet the French submarine-cruiser Surcouf! --- >>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_submarine_Surcouf

This sub was the only one of its kind built by the French Navy in our timeline to circumvent the restrictions of the Washington Naval Treaty after WWI. It put strict limits on naval construction by limiting displacements and gun calibers on battleships and cruisers. No accord was signed concerning frigates, destroyers, and submarines however and the French saw this as a possible loop hole to exploit. Submarines designed like the Surcouf would have been engaging surface targets while on the surface, but of course had the ability to dive. They would have been used to attack convoys and other smaller enemy ships, essentially acting like scouts or raiders.

The Surcouf didn't see a lot of intense action however, disappearing in 1942. There were some major technical issues because of the guns mounted on her of course, but it was a fairly notable and novel design to try and address a limitation post-WWI.

Now, for TL-191, I'm proposing that, perhaps, the Confederates might try to make a submarine like this, perhaps as a way to economize development for their Navy as well as to circumvent any naval restrictions imposed on them. I'm not saying they'd be successful, but that they'd give it a try.

It was very much a thing, prewar French and all part of the whole cruiser sub fetish. Re Confederates and the same idea, maybe

Maybe's good enough for me. I'm just saying that the Confederates might give it a try as a way to creatively address a problem. Is a fantastically weird boat though isn't it.

Pangur

Donor
Maybe's good enough for me. I'm just saying that the Confederates might give it a try as a way to creatively address a problem. Is a fantastically weird boat though isn't it.
Its well different :p:p You have put an idea in my head, yes they get built and maybe both survive or one does. Later in the was they look to remove the big guns and replace them with rockets to get around range issues

Its well different :p:p You have put an idea in my head, yes they get built and maybe both survive or one does. Later in the was they look to remove the big guns and replace them with rockets to get around range issues

Rockets on a sub!? What madness is this!

Okay joking aside, perhaps the Confederates wouldn't try this, but to me the chance is... 40/60? Their sub fleet has been the only successful service of the Navy so far. My reasoning is that, despite the limited funding they might get, they could at least try to develop a design to address a problem they have. It might be better to just invest in more cheaply built subs, but still. Featherston was pouring funds into anything that would give him an edge, especially in the Army. Perhaps he could spare something for the Navy.