TL-191: Featherston's Finest - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the CSA and Freedom Party

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by Alterwright, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

@cortz#9 - Part 3 of the Confederate tanks!

** --- Once again, let me know if anything needs to be clarified in these summaries, whether it be names, designations, or gun calibers.

Confederate Armored Fighting Vehicles - Canine "Heavy Line" Family - (Barrels/Barrel-Busters/Tanks/Tank-Destroyers): 1941-1944

FV42H Dire Wolf 20pdr.png

^^^ --- FV42H, "Dire Wolf", 20 pdr. gun

FV44M Timber Wolf 17 Pdr.jpg

^^^ --- FV44M, "Timber Wolf", 17 pdr. gun

BK44 Bulldog w 32Pdr.-.png

^^^ --- BK44, "Gray Wolf", 32 pdr. gun

FV45 Alpha Wolf 90mm.png

^^^ --- FV45H, "Alpha Wolf", 90mm gun

2. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

It all looks good to me. :)

Alterwright likes this.
  3. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

@cortz#9 - Part 4!

Confederate Armored Fighting Vehicles - Stalwart "Light Line" Family - (Barrels/Barrel-Busters/Tanks/Tank-Destroyers/Transports/Specials): 1941-1944

FV38L-w-25mm Stalwart.png

^^^ --- FV38L-A1, "Stalwart", 25mm gun

SV38-w-flamthrower.png

^^^ --- SV38-A2, "Trooper", H39 flamethrower

SV38B 10.5cm gun.png

^^^ --- SV38B, "Hunter", 10.5cm gun

SV38 A2Rckt.-Lnchr SPRL Joshua's Trumpet.gif

^^^ --- SV38-A3, "Joshua's Trumpet", JG146-A2 rocket launcher

38'S 57mm .gif

^^^ --- BK38L, "Volunteer", 57mm gun

^^^ --- SV38T-A3, "Mule", G6 MG, Recon/Transport

4. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

@cortz#9 - Part 5. the Final installment!

* --- I may need clarification on the caliber guns and names used on some of these vehicles here.

Confederate Armored Fighting Vehicles - "Prototypes, Wonder Weapons, and Last-Ditch Tanks": 1941-1944

Crickit.png

^^^ --- XBK, "Cricket", 2x 32 pdr. guns

SPAM Self Propelled Assault Mortar 8 in. naval gun .jpg

^^^ --- Self Propelled Assault Mortar - SPAM, "Ant", 8 in. naval gun

Dire-Wolf w captured US 90mm gunCS Heavy Barrel Buster.png

^^^ --- FV42H/bdr-90, "Lazarus", captured US 90mm gun

US Mk.V captured with confederate  20mm.png

^^^ --- SV42c/bdr-Mk5, "Jairus", captured United States hull converted with 20mm auto-cannon

pattontank12, FleetMac and rob2001 like this.
  5. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

Those are all the relevant ones I could find. In total, we're looking at about 24-26 different Confederate tank designs! You should be proud! This is a commendable arsenal.

cortz#9 likes this.
  6. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

Thank you. And I think this is the most alternate designs I've ever done for one thread or TL, if you count the ones ones on the Yankee Joe thread as well, then Its definitely the most. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Alterwright likes this.
  7. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

Heh. I tried organizing them by the type of hull-base you used. The Coyote had so many variants that I ended up grouping them into two distinct "Family Trees" to better organize them. That's how I got the "Main Line" and "Second Line" Coyote families, the former being the main battle tanks used by the Confederates, while the latter would be TDs or SPAAG based on the Coyote hull.

The "Light Line" Stalwart family tree had the same idea in mind, all based around the same hull. The "Heavy Line" was a bit tricky to classify since the Timber Wolf is technically a medium tank with a much bigger gun and a different hull and the Alpha Wolf is an entirely different design, but I felt they all could be regarded as part of the same class either way.

cortz#9 likes this.
  8. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

You did a good job of it.

9. Matt Wiser Well-Known Member

We've mentioned the Confederate Navy, and though they could (and did) build their own warships up to cruiser size (one of the Great War books mentions Anne Colleton and Confederate President Woodrow Wilson attending the launch of a light cruiser), and maybe the coastal defense battleships-want to bet that they did buy ships from the British? Just before the Newport News nuclear strike, there's a Confederate heavy cruiser laid up, but still tossing 8" shells at advancing U.S. ground forces (who likely have been told to halt in place and take cover) When I read that, the first ship that pops into my mind is a British County-class heavy cruiser. Either they bought ships from the Brits, or had components imported prewar to use on their own construction.

Alterwright and cortz#9 like this.
  10. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

Historyman 14, cortz#9 and Matt Wiser like this.
  11. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

^^^ --- These I like because they have color. Plus, I also like the theming here - tan for the Confederates and green for the Yankees.

12. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

Come to think of it, I don't think we've ever got many interpretations of what the Confederate Mule "Ass Kicker" dive bomber really looks like. I found this picture while browsing some alternatives.

Its made by a Flickr user named Barnstormer4, so credit to that user for this image. Its closer in appearance to what the Stuka looks like, which is fine by me honestly, but other interpretations are welcomed here.

5303330058_000665fd72_b.jpg

cortz#9 likes this.
  13. cortz#9 Obrltnt of Kampfgruppe Seelöw

My own take on the "Ass-Kicker". I was thinking that like Germany and Italy IOTL, the CSA might use radial engines more than inline engines on their bombers and mostly inline engines in their fighters.
    CSA  Mule (Asskicker).jpg

I also used a Junkers Ju-87 and added the engine and tail from Aichi (Val) D3A dive bomber and added a 50 cal MG to the wing.

Alterwright and Matt Wiser like this.
  14. pattontank12 Better Dead than Red!

Something similar to Sourh Africa's Marmon Herrington would be right up the Confederate's alley during the Featherstone era.
    IWM-E-10601-Marmon-Herrington-19420413.jpg
    Marmon-Herrington-Mk4-FFL.jpg

Alterwright and cortz#9 like this.
  15. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

What's the difference between radial and inline engines? Besides the difference in the design of the nose?

16. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

You mean like a heavily armed scout car for the Confederates right? Sporting an anti-tank gun in a turret on wheels? I can see that.

In the western theater from Texas to Sonora, I imagine the fighting for these areas would occur int very rocky, very arid desert climate or over vast open prairie. In this theater I imagine scout cars would be the more ideal form of movement but I could be wrong. Tanks would of douse play their own part, but I also imagine that most of those tanks would be transferred over to the eastern theaters, leaving front commanders to economize by using heavily armed scout cars, but the terrain can also be suit for armor, depend on where they are deployed.

pattontank12 likes this.
  17. Matt Wiser Well-Known Member

A radial engine is usually air-cooled, while an inline engine is usually water-cooled. FYI most OTL carrier aircraft used radial engines, though the Brits used inline engines in the Sea Hurricane, Seafire, and the Fairey Barracuda, and the Japanese used a copy of the German DB 601 engine in the D4Y1/2 Judy dive bomber. Inline engines are more susceptible to battle damage: take a serious hit to the engine in an Me-109, Spitfire, or P-51, and you're going skydiving. Take serious damage to a radial engine like in a P-47, Fw-190, Hellcat, or Corsair, and you had a decent chance of getting back home.

cortz#9, Polish Eagle and Alterwright like this.
  18. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

Ah I see now. So basically Confederate "Mule", with a radial engine, has the ability to absorb more punishment. Given that its a dive bomber, with the assumption that its going to take a lot of fire flying toward its target, that engine design might be better.

19. pattontank12 Better Dead than Red!

Yeah I picture the western front of the North American theater being dominated by armored cars, outdated vehicles & equipment from the interwar era and even cavalry in some places. While the both sides use the real good stuff out on the Eastern Front.

Kinda picture it actually being similar to the African Theater of OTL in some ways in terms of gear and uniforms.

cortz#9 likes this.
  20. Alterwright "You were never even a player."

In certain areas, yeah, it would be dry and rocky desert terrain or flat prairie. Chihuahua, Sonora, Baja, New Mexico, Sequoyah, and West Texas would be the battleground for the Western Theater.