TL-191: Featherston's Finest - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the CSA and Freedom Party

The artist did a really good job here. The submachine-gun on the left was done by @cortz#9 . We never got to naming it, but I always just refer to it as the "Griswold". The rifleman on the right has a "southern cross" badge on his hat, taken from the actual Southern Cross of Honor in OTL. Wanted to give him a bedroll like they had in the Civil War, but this is fine as is I think.

Griswold works. I also imagined the Confederacy having a stamped steel SMG akin to the MP-40, but visually resembling the M3 Grease Gun.

Griswold works. I also imagined the Confederacy having a stamped steel SMG akin to the MP-40, but visually resembling the M3 Grease Gun.
Something like this?

_M3-submachine-gun-45-caliber-andrew-chittock-.jpg

Last edited:
Either work. I do prefer the Grease Gun, because it looks cool. :p
Glad you liked it. I went back and did a little more work to the gun,the M3's hand grip always looked a bit bulky so I narrowed it down a bit and added a front swivel for a sling and touched up a few other bits too.

I don't think it was ever mentioned that Featherston's secretary wore a uniform. I remember her being described as being over weight and middle aged and that Featherston himself didn't find her attractive which he felt was a good thing because she wasn't distracting.
So even if she did wear a uniform, she wouldn't look like the pics of women in uniform you posted here.

BTW I don't recall Featherston being married or ever being described in any of the books of being attracted to women, is it possible Featherston was gay? If I understand correctly Hitler's sexual preference is still in doubt.

It’s possible, but I don’t think it’s likely, or that the absence of a love life is evidence of being gay. He probably had different priorities in life, and maybe women found him unattractive?

Yeah I could see that, also he seemed too angry at the world to be interested in romance of any kind.

Wasn't married, nope. Don't think he was gay though, but I guess if Turtledove really wanted to make the parallels to Hitler be more pronounced he would have left it up for debate. I believe in a meeting with Anne Colleton in the American Empire series Anne was particularly surprised that Featherston didn't seem to find her attractive at all, which many men did. Then again, Featherston was the kind of guy to stay mad at everything all the time. Plus, he wasn't much of a looker either.

He's quoted as saying "I like Lulu. Rest of the world is full of assholes." Whether he found women or men attractive he probably didn't care. Thought everyone was an asshole. So there's that XD

I got the impression that, after reading the books and reading TVTropes.org, that Jacob Featherston was literally/functionally an asexual human being. However, Turtledove did go back and forth with his lack of sexual attraction to anyone or anything (One page he'll say that a good speech with a good crowd is like having a woman, then he'll show no interest in Anne Colleton, later he'll joke with Clarence Potter that if he really wanted to help him, then he should transform into some kind of attractive Redhead(?) ).

In my own headcanon, he's a genetic dead-end caused by an extreme form of Asexuality, psychologically and perhaps biologically speaking.

Last edited:
The artist did a really good job here. The submachine-gun on the left was done by @cortz#9 . We never got to naming it, but I always just refer to it as the "Griswold". The rifleman on the right has a "southern cross" badge on his hat, taken from the actual Southern Cross of Honor in OTL. Wanted to give him a bedroll like they had in the Civil War, but this is fine as is I think.
I like it! Kinda reminds me of this variant of the MP41 that was actually mostly used by the SS.
mp41o.jpg

I got the impression that, after reading the books and reading TVTropes.org, that Jacob Featherston was literally/functionally an asexual human being. However, Turtledove did go back and forth with his lack of sexual attraction to anyone or anything (One page he'll say that a good speech with a good crowd is like having a woman, then he'll show no interest in Anne Colleton, later he'll joke with Clarence Potter that if he really wanted to help him, then he should transform into some kind of attractive Redhead(?) ).

In my own headcanon, he's a genetic dead-end caused by an extreme form of Asexuality, psychologically and perhaps biologically speaking.

Yup, exactly. He really just wasn't interested in anyone emotionally or sexually speaking. With the mindset he had he probably just wanted to focus on what he was doing and got the most gratification out of that. If he was attracted to anyone - based on what you said, only his own imagination could conjure up a partner to his absolute liking. Everyone else... is an asshole XD

Which guns should I use to make a model of the Tredegar Automatic Rifle? OTL American guns preferred.
I used the Johnson M41 for my alt-BAR, you could probably still do something different with it by using parts from other guns like the OTL BAR.
Johnson 13c9cf19efe759112d6c79dd2ddd3f91.jpg

Or you could you the Johnson 1940 rifle design.
Johnson M1941.jpg

Or bits of both.

Hey, I like this one!! Like a cross between an MP-40 and Grease Gun. It looks really neat.
It was an idea by rvbomally and I liked it so I ran with it and I also like the way it turned.
I'm thinking of maybe getting an inexpensive spring powered M3 and MP-40 and try to make a wall hanger of this design.

It was an idea by rvbomally and I liked it so I ran with it and I also like the way it turned.
I'm thinking of maybe getting an inexpensive spring powered M3 and MP-40 and try to make a wall hanger of this design.

Indeed! Well, what would you name it/designated as? Also what about the wooden stock one you made? Cause I'm just going to keep calling it the Griswold unless stated otherwise XD

Indeed! Well, what would you name it/designated as? Also what about the wooden stock one you made? Cause I'm just going to keep calling it the Griswold unless stated otherwise XD
I called it the SMG2 for lack of a better name. For the wooden stock gun, people here seem to like Griswold and I use to have a friend many years ago we nick-named Griswold so I'm fine with that.

I called it the SMG2 for lack of a better name. For the wooden stock gun, people here seem to like Griswold and I use to have a friend many years ago we nick-named Griswold so I'm fine with that.

Righty. How about... M37 Griswold for the woodstock, banana mag gun. For the stamped metal one... how about M40/41 Joslyn. I am literally making up names lol