Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never tried GIS or anything, it seems scary, and I'm worried that if I got the hang of it I would be swallowed up into a black hole of data and perfectionism.

At the same time, i’ve Tried to use GIS to uh... copy your map style, and the coastlines are a bit too detailed (at least with the natural earth dataset) for your elegantly simplified style.

Also making spreadsheets is half the fun

Excellent work! It somewhat amuses me that Chile and only Chile broke off/failed to join... :)

Thanks! Bolivaria initially formed by Mexican and a very succesful (Gran) Colombia uniting, with Bolivar managing to convince the La Platan government to join the federation as well. Until about the 1920's, relations between Bolivaria and Chile weren't exactly great, mostly because "they're coming to get us!" was a common Chilean political scaremongering tactic, despite the fact that (except for the Brazil intervention in the 1840s), Bolivaria has never invaded another independent American nation.

Vuu

Banned
Thousand Week Reich - The Far Eastern Republic, Dalnivostok

3fhtu8cna2521.png

Rest of the scenario -www.reddit.com/r/AP246/comment…

And its HOI4 mod in development - www.reddit.com/r/twrmod/

Discord (for the mod)- discord.gg/7Zyc8RM

The map thread: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...ich-a-realistic-nazi-victory-scenario.444582/

The style is shamelessly stolen from IEPH, so please go see his deviantart page

So just like yesterday's map this is the result of a "One Hour challenge"... i didn't plan to put the legend in the one hour but i did fail it because i couldn't colour it within an hour, here is what i had done after one hour from starting

( i had done nothing before).

The final product took 2h15 to make, i think i can improve it on the colouring time, although making the description took 30 min by itself...

This is rather fun, i'll continue making some i think.

Dalnivostok, officially the Russian Republic, has its origins in the American intervention in the Russian Far East in 1946, the relatively stable American backed authoritarian state would attract a number of Russians, from Children of white emigre to refugee attempting the dangerous crossing of Siberia, many of the far eastern migrants would also come from Finland, whose government wanted to limit the number of Russians.

The Siberian border of the republic, although fluid and loosely held, was not at a significant risk while central Siberia was occupied by petty warlord state, however this would change when the rump Soviet Union, centered around the ural managed to slowly retake most of its former territories and help insurgencies in German territories. By the second half of the 50s the Russian Republic would be at odds with the Soviet Union, but neither had the power projection capability to make significant gains against the other, this would change during the 60s, as germany finally stood defeated the Soviet Union finally could afford to retake its former territories, the reconquest of Russia, the “otvojovyvanie” would last for several years despite American and British attempt at brokering a peace, it would finally end in 1967 because of american pressure, the border between the two countries would be set at the frontline, giving away claim on sparsely populated areas.

In return the United states would give away Sakhalin to the Russian republic, a controversial decision as the island had a large Japanese population, and smaller Korean, ainu and even American one, but it was not white enough to be admitted as a state, separatist movements for an independent Sakhalin would shape the young state's policies in the 70s, although a divided and mixed population as well as the gradual democratization of the republic up to the 80s would eventually make the island stay.

The 80s were a time of growth, the economic boom in the neighboring Korean republic would spill over the Russian republic, renamed Dalnivostok to put emphasis on the separate identity, the discovery of vast resources of oil, gas and minerals would bring large amount of wealth that would enable growth in the industrial sector, quickly vladivostok became the most dynamic city around the sea of japan, with the largest shipyard near it, and the quality of life of Far eastern russian would dramatically improve within a couple decades, the government also gave more representation to the Japanese and Korean in the state, the jewish minority centered after the former autonomous oblast, which was abolished, and english education was promoted.

Today however the country faces hard challenges, Over reliance on natural resources has led to less investment in infrastructures lately, inequalities are rising and unemployment is growing as other east asian countries are becoming much more competitive, japan having recently surpassed Dalnivostok in gdp per capita, many families of farmers who crossed siberia are alienated by the large growth of the coastal cities, and more and more Chinese worker are allowed to work for a lower price in Dalnivostok, increasing xenophobic sentiments. While relations with russia are variable, there are still a long standing territorial dispute about the kuril island, renounced by japan after its defeat and part of the american sakhalin territory, however the islands were occupied by the former USSR by the 1970s despite Dalnivostokian claims that it was given to them as part of the sakhalin territory.

China is still the country's largest threat, and while the giant's focus seems to be diverted toward vietnam, the border is still tightly defended despite its lenght. Dalnivostok has one of the largest military spending as a proportion of its gdp in east asia.

Why doesn't it just unite with Russia at this point tho?

I'm too lazy to actually continually post maps I make as I make them so Have a backlog of 3 maps I made. 2 are just stupid wanks and the other is a cover of a friend's timeline.
zwKAi8C.png

hope you enjoy :)
South Picardy should really be Artois, and Picardy should probably be split between Hainaut, West Flanders, and probably a Cambrésis.

I've been wanting to try my hand at an ISOT for a while, but most good ideas seem to have already been taken by much more talented mapmakers. This premise is one I've never seen before, though.

This is ~30 years after the 25 most populous nations were replaced by virgin land.

Great idea, a neat reversal of the usual

I'm too lazy to actually continually post maps I make as I make them so Have a backlog of 3 maps I made. 2 are just stupid wanks and the other is a cover of a friend's timeline.
wQMnkHP.jpg

hope you enjoy :)

I'm surprise the North hasn't tried and take back at least the Upper South. How did the CSA break apart? The year?

file

Also made this one the last days, its basically my first alternate timeline map:

Carthaginian Victory in the (First) Punic War against Rome

256 - Battle of Cape Ecnomus --- Carthaginian victory over the Roman Fleet
subsequently no roman Invasion of Africa
254 - Samnite Rebellion in Italy
252 - Roman Victory over the rebelling Samnites; Roman financial and manpower weariness
251 - Carthaginian counter invasion of Italy
250 - Carthaginian Victory over Rome in a Battle near Capua; Rome surrenders;
Magna Graecia under the leadership of Tarent splits off of Rome

Due to the drainage of man and coins Carthage can't take the whole of Sicily and
Tarent/Magna Graecia and Syracuse form an alliance.
In the following years Carthage expands its holds in Africa and Hispania

upload_2018-12-19_16-35-37.png

A small work in progress about a tiny TL idea that I called "Dénoncer Compiègne", it's Europe in July 1940, after the Stuttgart Abkommen, organized by Hitler to reorganize Europe.

France is governed not by Petain but by the Reynaud-Daladier Government, that is secretly working on an evacuation of it's civils, industries and art, to be able to betray Germany the fastest they can and go back in the war. This means France is far not as collaborative as OTL, and they are secretely negociating with Churchill and stuff. (That's the reason for the name "Dénoncer Compiègne")

Romania is neutral, but they had to completely abandon Transylvania to Hungary and Dobrudja to Bulgaria during the Conference of Stuttgart and let USSR annex Moldavia, Besarabia and Bucovina. French trains that were destined to camps in Poland often end there after "administrative errors", and the German Government accepted to leave Romania alone for now. The Garda de Fier has been defeated by the Royal Guards.

Yugoslavia has been terminated : Bulgaria received Macedonia to be connected with Italian Albania ; Italy has annexed Dalmatia ; the Reich got Carynthia and a protectorate over Croatia, and the Kingdom of Serbia is now in the same situation than Romania, trying to avoid Germany as much as they can.

Finland has avoided complete obliteration after accepting to offer Ingria to the Soviets.

The places in grey are occupied by german military forces : Denmark is mostly autonomous, even though they had to do political and economical concessions (like OTL).

Netherlands were offered the same deal until Hitler realized that the Queen had disappeared and started organizing a Resistance in London. Hitler, furious and feeling insulted, demanded that a German military Reichkomissariat would be consituted, and symbolically annexed Groningen to show that they would not tolerate such an insult, the same situation happening in Belgium resulted in a fusion into the Niederlanden Reichkomissarait (sometimes shortened Niederkomissariat or Niederkom).

Ante Pavelic has been named Reichkomissar for Croatia, since his antisemitic views and violent behavior are close to the NSDAP policy. Discussions are happening between the German and Croatian governments about turning Croatia into an actual country.

The Reichkomissar of Bohemia is Karl Hermann Frank, who was born in the Sudeten mountains. The Bohemian Gestapo is one of the most ferocious, since the many Germans of Bohemia and even more of Praha are anti-NSDAP.

The Polish territories are ruled by the most violent of all the Reichkomissars : Josef Bühler. His nomination as a Reichkomissar is seen by Poles as a way to just destroy them, since Herr Bühler clearly shows them that he considers them as a nuisance that has to die as quickly as possible. This causes Polish Resistance to be one of the most important one in all of Europe.

Northern France is directed by a military comission using Charles Maurras as a sockpuppet for their agenda.

evilcanadaEurope.png
evilcanadaEurope2.png
Europe from the Evil Canada universe I created. The second image is a thumbnail, and can be expanded to view the image in more detail.

United Kingdom: Constitutional monarchy ruled by Victoria as in OTL. Lost Canada outside of Quebec to revolts, and controls parts of India and southern China in its colonial empire. Controls Sicily and the Ionian Islands, and is trying to court the Caliphate of Egypt into the British sphere. Britain is allied with Austria, Denmark, the Netherlands and Portugal, and is opposed to France, Russia, and the Ottomans.

France: Ruled by the House of Bonaparte after a successful restoration by Napoleon II in 1825, whose son Napoleon III (not the one from OTL) is now emperor. Fought a European coalition to a stalemate to preserve the Bonapartes. France is allied with Prussia, Russia, and Belgium, and maintains friendly relations with Sweden.

Austria: Controls the restored HRE, the Kingdom of Italy, and the hereditary Habsburg lands. The main opponent to Habsburg ambitions for a united Germany is Prussia, who is supported by France. Austria recently seized Libya from the Ottomans. Austria has Tuscany, Sardinia, and Naples in its sphere of influence. However, its grip on the Italian peninsula is loosening, in favor of France. It is allied to Spain, Poland and the United Kingdom, and is opposed to France, Prussia, and both Egypt and the Ottomans.

Poland: Was not partitioned in TTL because of an alliance with Russia, which failed due to Alexander I's joining Napoleon II against the Quintuple Alliance (Austria, Poland, Prussia, Spain and the United Kingdom). Is now a middling power, about on par with Portugal or Denmark. Poland does not appear to have any colonial ambitions. They are allied with Austria and Denmark, and opposed to Prussia, Sweden, and Russia.

Prussia: Not quite the power it might have been, Prussia lacks the Rhineland, an industrial economy, and a strong military. If they cannot reform, they may be absorbed into Germany. They are supported by France and Sweden, and opposed by Austria and Poland.

Russia: Because of the influence of the Decembrists and the reforms of Alexander I and II, Russia is now a modernized power, and France's closest ally in Europe. Russia is in the process of subjugating the Caucasus and Central Asia. It is allied with France and Prussia, and is opposed to Poland, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.

Awesome map! I always thought it was odd how the Celts bypassed the Pyrenees and eastern Iberia to settle on the west side of Iberia. I wonder what their motive for that was.

Thanks! Don't know about their motive - but as i read about these various people, tribal confederations and tribes there was a section in some of these
articles that described how the celts came via sea (Bay is Biscay) to the north coast of ancient Spain. Its also a lot more complex because tribes/tribal confederations
like the Celtici (and some others) came much later. All these celtic tribes that settled in other regions of europe than the came from made me think of the later
migration period, although this was probably a different scale and other a longer period of time.

Before the Seventh Punic War

The illustrious general Hannibal Barca was victorious in the Second Punic War, humiliating the Romans, breaking off Southern Italy and securing Carthage's hold on Iberia, but nonetheless failing to destroy Rome as a state.

The furious Romans would rise in later decades declaring the Third Punic War against Carthage. Rome's own "Hannibal", general Fabius Claudius Brutus, would get revenge against Carthage, but familiarly, fail to bring the enterprising Punic empire to its knees just as Hannibal had stopped short of the annihilation of Rome.

Rather, the great powers of the western Mediterranean would remain locked in escalating wars of increasing scale and ferocity, with only their sheer hatred for each other propelling them forth, batting off barbarian foes so that they could face their true nemeses -- each other.

Just before the outbreak of the Seventh Punic War, Rome and Carthage had reached their peaks. For unbeknownst to them, this would be the final war. There would be no victory in the unwinnable battle between giants.

Full size: https://www.deviantart.com/seacambrian/art/Before-the-Seventh-Punic-War-753327474

file

Is Rome still a Republic, or a Empire?

What of the East? Did Rome ever get around to conquering Greece and Asia Minor and beating up the Seleucid Empire, or has Rome become so focus on Carthage, they stay in the western Mediterranean? (And if so, how does the East look like?)

Sequel?

dcuuaif-5c5b025e-68e3-45fb-a3e8-fb30bdf90c59.png

Vacuity Institute MEL0009 / Sub-Department of the “Vacuity Galactic and Universal Yassa” of the “Grand Multiverse Kurultai” in the “United Multiverse Assembly” and the “Supreme Multiuniversal Templar Multiverse-Imperium Assembly”.

### Incoming transmission ###

Dear esteemed madams and sirs,

Well just as we expected the Kievans and the Pan-East-Slavic have just complained to head office about our sibling Universe – our sibling Black Khanate. It seems like this variant of ours have overstepped their lust for conquest and destruction.

Although no actions are expected we might have to impose some sort of sanctions to our parallel universe. Nevertheless we have received assurances from the Panslavic Multiverse Forum and our own Multiverse Kurultai that the sanctions will not have any significant repercussions on our parallel Universe. As a matter of fact unofficial sources say that they are excited to study how their parallel self’s are copping being slaves to the Black Khanate. How curious of them.

The Grand Multiverse Kurultai has decided to send a representative to inspect the Black Khanate and we are expected to contribute to this fact finding mission.

Anyway what I wanted to give you with this transmission is the current tally of slaves and kills from our parallel Black Khanate:

Slaves:
- Over four hundred centillion alien and humanoids slaves
- Around three quindecillion human slaves (this is the source of trouble with other human powers)

Deaths:

- Approximately a thousand googols of extraterrestrial sapient life
- Around three hundred centillion humanoids
- Nearly five hundred vigintillion humans

Stellar Destruction:

- Five trillion galaxies of all kinds
- A googol of stars and planets

Well we sure have a lot to catch up to with the Black Khanate.

Yours faithfully Noyan Chumulun

### End transmission ###

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.