Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something inbetween fantasy/alt history; a quick map based on part of Saint Lucia that I liked and wanted to share. Posted with the description I gave it on reddit.

sunny_coast_by_daeres-dclcdpw.png

Hewana is an independent island nation whose economy is transitioning from agricultural exports to high tech services and industry. Ecological preservation of the island's ecosystem is crucial, and it's hoped that a reduction in traditional intense agriculture will help relieve the burden placed on its soil. The Iabo Coast region is famous for its fruit groves, fantastic beaches, and generally slow pace of life. The guava fruit is the Iabo icon, reflective of its once high status and its continuing relationship to Hewanan cuisine. The Iabo capital of Ico was once a major commercial harbour for the island centuries ago, despite the dangerous coral reefs lurking offshore, but is now a centre for internal tourism and the arts. The reefs themselves attract research from across the globe and much admiration besides, though it is difficult to gain non-scientific access these days. Woodland and fruit groves grow right up to the coast in many areas, particularly the southern Iabo cliffs.

A local Iabo favourite is pork in a spicy guava sauce, but there are some who worry that this is their stereotype both among other Hewanans and internationally. This has led to a recent rise in artisan confectioners in Ico and nearby, hoping to build on traditional desserts and sweets into something the region can be proud of. Others are fairly certain the region has much good cooking to be proud of already, and see these earnest entrepreneurs as culinary snobs, unconcerned with preserving traditional Iabo recipes in order to make them friendlier to a tourist palette.

One traditional craft that has seen a resurgence is woodworking with the pencil cedar. This insect-repelling, aromatic, and attractive wood has been a source of furniture for Iabo's inhabitants for centuries, perhaps millenia. The resurgent but small industry is carefully controlled so that the cedar forests are not threatened or the many animals they shelter. Accordingly, Iabo pencil cedar furniture is highly valuable, and has helped give the region a reputation for doing things slowly, carefully, but to a high degree of expertise.

This idea of a slow pace, steady hand, and plenty of leisure time has become popular in the rest of Hewana, indeed in much of the rest of the world. Caution is advised, however, in the assumption that life here is effortless. Sustainable management of the environment and the region's natural resources limits the scale of many industries, encouraging its focus on quality above quantity and on products not suitable for mass consumption on an international scale. Ecological management is also a tricky thing, requiring a large body of trained experts across multiple fields, and a willingness to forgo traditional intensive farming in favour of hydroponics. The Iabo Coast's citizens work hard so that they can play hard. That is the lesson much of the world will need to grasp.

The map, translated from Hewani, focuses on the most important aspects to a Hewanan visitor to this part of their island; the roads, reef locations, beaches, and major urban areas. The rectangular flag as a form of cultural and political symbolism was only adopted on the island in the last two centuries, and the Hewanans care little for traditional 'rules' about such things. The Iabo Coast flag is no exception, focusing on the iconic guava in as much detail as could be managed.

Skallagrim

Banned
Something inbetween fantasy/alt history; a quick map based on part of Saint Lucia that I liked and wanted to share. Posted with the description I gave it on reddit.

Nice! If you'll forgive me for saying so, I distinctly feel that the vaguely 'star-shaped' coral reef near the top right corner is somehow off. Its shape doesn't really mesh well with the surroundings. Maybe it's just me, but I think that iff you lopped off just one of its 'points' (it hardly matters which), it would somehow look more natural.

Osmanlı UK.png

Member Nations of the British Commonwealth of Nations ruled by the House of Osman(Tudor-Edinburgh-Oranje) finally separated into the type of governments. Consisting of 17 Republics, 15.5 Native Monarchies, 30.5 Commonwealth Realms and the UK itself. The Basic story here:

View attachment 404514
Ladies and Gentlemen! Allow me to present the British Commonwealth of Nations.
Featuring the United Kingdom of Great Britain, Ireland and the Netherlands; 27 Commonwealth Realms, 18 Republics, 15 Native Monarchies and the special case of Rumelian Empire which Is officially a Commonwealth Realm but its Governor-Generals are a Hereditary Position that is held by the Caliphs of Islam, the Ottoman Dynasty. the Head of the Commonwealth is a member of the House of Osman-Tudor (Edinburgh-Oranje cadet branch). The Royal Family descents from the 1st Margrave of the Scottish Marches (the lowlands) Solomon/Suleiman who was granted the Area after the English War of Succession when King James IV Stuart of Scotland invaded England and was supported by the Catholics in England and Ireland. After his defeat the King Alexander/Iskender I of England vassalized Scotland as the Principality of Scotland (first being Prince Charles Stuart after death of James IV in the war) and the lowlands were give to the King's brother. After the English Civil War Scotland was annexed, the House of Stuart was granted the Duchy of Glasgow and the Margrave of the Scottish Marches was granted the Duchy of Edinburgh. It was later after General Stuart conquered the Netherlands the Dutch were given the right to choose between the King, General Stuart and the Duke of Edinburgh. They choose the Duke as such the cadet branch of Edinburgh became Edinburgh-Oranje. The new Dutch Royal Family inherited England later after King Albert Osman-Tudor(-Edinburgh-Oranje)'s marriage to Queen Victoria. It was a few decades later when the Act of Union was passed between the Netherlands and the UK. House of Osman came to rule England after Otto/Osman (who became a Protestant) son of Gabriel/Cebrail (who lead a mercenary company and settled in England) son of Murad (who converted to Catholicism after his failure in his Invasion of the Ottoman Balkans while the Sultan Selim the Grim was invading the Mameluke Egypt) son of Cem (who was defeated by his brother Bayazit II and had to flee in Exile to Europe) married Queen Elizabeth I of England.

(I hope my count of the member nations is right and the number of generations makes sense. If not I would have to delete a generation from the pre-marriage Ottomans.)

Nice! If you'll forgive me for saying so, I distinctly feel that the vaguely 'star-shaped' coral reef near the top right corner is somehow off. Its shape doesn't really mesh well with the surroundings. Maybe it's just me, but I think that iff you lopped off just one of its 'points' (it hardly matters which), it would somehow look more natural.

On a second glance I'm tempted to agree, it does look a bit too different from the rest

So I decided to try with a full WorlDA map...

Brief Timeline:

The ship of Margor of Austria isn't sunk in a storm in the Bay of Biscay. She reaches Spain and her presence with John, Prince of Asturias, improves his health so he does not die of illness during 1497. He continues to live until his mother, the Queen of Spain, Isabella, dies in 1504. Ferdinand of Aragon, which wasn't the King of Castile, abdicates on John the tittle of King of Castile, and the union breaks until Ferdinand of Aragon decides to abdicate the tittle of King of Aragon upon John on 1507. John is proclaimed as "Imperator Totius Hispaniae" in his crowning ceremony in Guadalajara.

With this, the Habsburg claim to Spain is cut short. Charles V is eventually crowned as Holy Roman Emperor anyways. Both Charles and John sign a series of alliance treaties to counter France. In one of these battles, the French king is captured in battle and imprisoned for a year in Madrid, where John places the capital. Military expeditions in the New World continue as usual, but apart from France, Spain ignores European Politics and centers itself on taking over the whole continent. By the 1550's, Spain controlled all lands south of Virginia.

Without Spanish help, the Holy Roman Empire does worse, however, due to the marriages directly involved in the PoD, Burgundy survives as a national entity formed by the Austrian Netherlands and then enlarged in a series of wars against France (already mentioned).

On 1539, a Spanish marine named Blasco de Garay purposed a project to the king, which was ready by 1543. His innovation was nothing else than a prototype of the steam machine. On a test in Barcelona on Juny 17 1543, the ship passed all other ships in a race. The king was heavily interested in this and also the projects of Juanelo Turriano in Toledo, such as a prototype of a machine gun or several ingeneering works. This would set up the pillars for the Industrial Revolution a century after.

The Spanish Army, isolated politically from the rest of Europe, revolutionised it's tactics and weaponry. On 1578 the Portuguese king died in Morocco, and in 1580 Spain, under king Michael II invaded Portugal. The Spanish Army anihilated their Portuguese counterparts with the use of the "Tercios de Arcabucería". England and France declared war to Spain, only for their navies to be crushed in the Battle of Madeira and being forced to an humilliating peace. By that time, and with the inclusion of Portugal, the whole of the Americas was under nominal Spanish control.

However, Michael was an ambicious man, and following what his great grandfather inherited (The Tittle of "Eastern Emperor") declared war to the Ottoman Empire on 1593. As with the French and English, the Ottoman fleet was a sitting duck compared to the faster Spanish ships. Spanish forces took Oran after surrounding the garrison there and destroying it with cannonfire, and then continued all the way to Tunis. By 1594, the Pope declared this as a crusade, and Poland, Russia, Venice and the HRE also declared war to the Ottomans.

Spanish soldiers landed in OTL Albania and connected with the Austrians after destroying an army of janissaries in the Battle of Monastir, which proved that fanatic troops were just normal troops under the fire of the first military use of La Matadora, the first machine gun based on Turriano's design. Christian forces advanced all the way to Constantinople as the Ottoman power faded. Constantinople was eventually taken on August 12 1595. Michael placed his second son, George on the throne, but Michael himself died shortly after, being suceeded by his daughter Joanna.

Joanna kept the empire stable by investing the huge wealth of the Americas in both them and Spain. The Americas were first open to Catholic settlers on 1612, thus allowing the population there to boom. The extra population allowed more control of the resources there, which led to an economic boom which soon extended to the whole Kingdom. By 1630's, no one could contest Spanish dominance of the whole world under the motto "Tanto Monta, Monta Tanto", which from now meant the equality between the Americas and Europe as the increasing population led to more autonomy in the New World.

On 1649 a Catalan entrepreneur created the first sewing machine, which led to a boom in the silk industry of Catalonia. This soon extended as other machines were invented. By the 1660's, the Industrial Revolution was in full swing. A balance between progress and faith was achieved by the Queen, who even threatened to sack Rome if the Pope continued calling an heretic to every genius. Lots of inventors went to Spain, and the University of Toledo became the world's top education center.

Europe kept fighting against itself, with new weapons and tactics, and the Splendid Spanish Isolationism continued. New ideologies appeared as the world progressed forward, being Communalism one of them. The technology of this world resembles that of the 1870's in OTL, but a century prior. The power of the monarchy is stronger in the whole world, so there are few republics.

Tanto Monta, Monta Tanto.png

Attachments

• Tanto Monta, Monta Tanto.png
    Tanto Monta, Monta Tanto.png
    178.1 KB · Views: 623
View attachment 404838
Member Nations of the British Commonwealth of Nations ruled by the House of Osman(Tudor-Edinburgh-Oranje) finally separated into the type of governments. Consisting of 17 Republics, 15.5 Native Monarchies, 30.5 Commonwealth Realms and the UK itself. The Basic story here:
Great map, but if the POD is as long ago as I think it is (what year?) then those borders on Sub Saharan Africa are awfully convergent with OTL. Is that deliberate or were butterflies ignored outside of the Commonwealth? Not that there is anything wrong with that considering the focus of your map.
:)

Skallagrim

Banned
It's interesting to see Spain "stay on top" like that, @Drex-- side-lining the competition. One detail that strikes me as a bit odd is that you get the "Coptic Kingdom of Kemet", because "Egypt" was supposedly "too Arabic". The thing is: the Arabs call the country "Misr", and "Copt" is derived from "Gupt", which in turn is derived from... Aiguptos. The Copts I've met explicitly identified themselves as the "true Egyptians", and they're very proud of this notion. I rather doubt they'd reject the name.

It's interesting to see Spain "stay on top" like that, @Drex-- side-lining the competition. One detail that strikes me as a bit odd is that you get the "Coptic Kingdom of Kemet", because "Egypt" was supposedly "too Arabic". The thing is: the Arabs call the country "Misr", and "Copt" is derived from "Gupt", which in turn is derived from... Aiguptos. The Copts I've met explicitly identified themselves as the "true Egyptians", and they're very proud of this notion. I rather doubt they'd reject the name.
Yeah, I know. I wanted to include some of these "Weird things that happened in history" in the map.

sixteen_germanies_by_federalrepublic-dcldhv3.png

My own take on the Sixteen Countries "meme" started by wyyt. All flags were either made by myself or are historic flags/proposals. Write-ups after the spoiler.

A1: United Republic of Germany (1959)

The United Republic of Germany was created as one of several buffer states between the Soviet Union and the Western Allies. Created with a deliberately weak central government and a special clause in its constitution preventing a possible rearmament, the URG provides enough "distance" between the Communist bloc and the Western European Union, the military alliance/economic block formed to counter Soviet influence in Europe. The URG has one of the highest spy activities in all of Europe and it frequently hosts dialogues between the USA and USSR.

A2: Greater German Empire (1946)

Prussia's rise in Europe and its annexation of all of the Kingdom of Bohemia was seen as unprecedented, but the newly formed Greater German Empire, which after some negotiations also came to include the post-collapse Archduchy of Austria, quickly became one of the most prestigious nations of Europe. While lacking in terms of colonial variety, the profitable Congo basin under German rule has helped to fuel the German economy more than the colonies of virtually any other colonial empire other than the British with their "crown jewel" India. For eighty years now the Germans have been the dominant land power in Europe and a close ally to its eastern neighbor, Russia, and it even has relatively cordial relations with its two rivals Britain and France.

A3: State of Mitropa (1960)

Mitropa is the most important and loyal ally to the Eurasian Federation of People's Republics. After the rise of Syndicalism in Europe, Mitropa has remained an economic powerhouse and provides more troops to the Eurasian peace-keeping efforts than other Eurasian allies like Italy or the French Commune. While most economic policies are handled directly by the syndicates, social policies and security are enforced by the state. Mitropa is socially more liberal than its Eurasian ally, with its moral values far less influenced by religion. Considering the greater diversity of Mitropa compared to the Russian-dominated Eurasia, that surprises very few outside observers.

A4: Confederation of the Rhine (1848)

The second-in-command to the Empire of the French (though the Kingdom of Poland is giving them a run for their money), the Confederation of the Rhine is a fairly loose confederation of culturally German states. In its early years the Confederation's borders were frequently in flux, but after the dust of war had settled, its borders were finalized. A collection of both republics and monarchies, some of which are ruled by German families and some by Parisian appointees, the Rhenish are used to diversity of people and thought. The Confederation is also one of the most religious members of the Continental System, with both Protestantism and Catholicism still thriving despite the Napoleonic distrust of religion.

B1: German Empire-in-Exile (1980)

After the collapse of the German Empire in the aftermath of the grueling Great War, the colonial governments of German East and Southwest Africa remained loyal to the expelled Hohenzollern monarchy, eventually leading to the arrival of Crown Prince Wilhelm to the city of Windhoek. With the support of the British the newly-crowned Wilhelm III proved himself a ruler capable of keeping these two colonies on the two sides of Africa under his rule, and his successor Friedrich IV oversaw both the normalization of relations with the Union of German Free States, the independence of Tanganjika in 1975 and the independence of Ovamboland in 1979. Thanks to German monarchists leaving Europe to join their king in Africa, the German Empire has a narrow white plurality since the independence of Ovamboland. The German Empire is one of the richest nations in Africa per capita, but it is generally considered to be very conservative and Christian-influenced.

B2: Imperal Union of Germany (1901)

The Imperial Union was always known for its history of compromises. The division of the Austrian Empire which preceded the Imperial Union's formation was one such compromise, with the creation of a Habsburg cadet branch that would rule over Hungary, while the German half of the empire would unite the German states, excluding Prussia. The exclusion of Prussia, known for its conservative and militaristic mentality, was the condition the bigger German states like Bavaria and Hanover made to join the Union. Meanwhile the few possessions of Prussia west of the Elbe River were very dependent on trade with the neighboring and generally more pro-Austrian states. So after some foreign-initiated conferences the division of Prussia and the founding of the Imperial Union was agreed upon. The IUG is firmly dominated by Austria, with the attachment of the socially conservative but economically liberal Rhineland ensuring even their economic domination of the country. However the other states do have enough power to block Austria from dominating the country, however due to clever internal diplomacy Austria rarely draws the short straw.

B3: German Free State (1954)

The end of the Second World War also saw a temporary break between the British Empire and the United States, its transatlantic ally. This diplomatic breakup manifested itself in several places but nowhere else was it as visible as in occupied Germany. The British government decided to allow for an independent German state to be set up in their occupation zone, one meant to be separate from the Franco-American sponsored Federal Republic of Germany. As a result the German Free State was born. The Free State however quickly went out of Britain's control. Several British-approved parties were quickly infiltrated and taken over by members of the disbanded Nazi Party, which led to the formation of a "Fourth Reich", as historians would later call it. The British and the Americans both were horrified by this development and came back together to disband the German Free State. By a series of swift takeovers of important cities and the subsequent arrest of the "New Nazi" leaders, the German Free State was dissolved and integrated into the Federal Republic of Germany. As a consequence of this period in German history, a second wave of de-nazification took place in order to prevent any future Nazi takeover of Germany.

B4: Federal Republic of Germany (1961)

The FRG was formed by the amalgamation of the Western occupation zones in Germany and Austria after the Soviet Union decided to form their own German and Austrian governments in their occupation zones. The FRG is a staunch NATO member and, thanks to large voter bases in the Rhineland and the south, very politically conservative. The partitioned cities of Vienna and Berlin are de jure under joint FRG and NATO rule, and its civilian populations have a reputation for being far less conservative than their fellow Germans. Germany is also an economic powerhouse, with strong agriculture in Bavaria, Austria, and Hanover, and strong industry along the river Ruhr.

C1: League of Free Princes (1720)

The League of Free Princes is a loose collection of small states with one thing in common: a protestant monarch. The League was formed after the end of the Brothers' War in 1647 as a protectorate of the Kingdom of Sweden, the dominant Protestant power of Europe. While some Protestant-led states couldn't join the League, most did, and they have remained close to the King of Sweden ever since. The League is often seen as the Protestant counterpart to the Holy Roman Empire.

C2: German People's Republic (1969)

The horrors of the Nazi regime could not be forgiven, that much was certain to the victorious Soviet Union. After the Western Allied and the Soviet armies met up at Kassel, it was time to divide the former Reich into spheres of influence. Both Allied factions agreed upon the fact that a German state should still exist, but they also agreed upon the fact that it would be significantly reduced in size and potential. After massive amounts of territory were cleaved of, the German People's Republic was founded in 1954 after almost 10 years of occupation. With a constitution explicitly forbidding a military, the GPR was placed under the military supervision of the Soviet Union and furthermore effectively turned into an agricultural state feeding the Warsaw Pact members. The Rhenish Republic, one of the other German successor states, became a French client state, and the Democratic Republic of Austria-Bavaria fell into the Soviet sphere just like the GPR.

C3: German Empire (1921)

The victorious German Empire came out of the Great War with significant territorial gains both in Europe and in the colonies. Having defeated its rivals France and Russia has significantly boosted the German people's support for the monarchy, and the electoral reforms passed during the war also managed to appease some of the moderate republicans and Social Democrats. With its strong industry in Westphalia and Silesia and the fertile farmlands in Hanover, Bavaria, and Brandenburg, Germany has dominated the European market even before the war. With its spoils of war, this dominance is bound to survive for decades to come. But can Germany keep its new client states in Eastern Europe in line? and will the United Kingdom come to regret their decision to not intervene in the Great War against Germany? Only time will tell.

C4: Christian Republic of Germania (1900)

The Christian Republic of Germania is a pariah among the states of Europe, both due to its religious fanaticism and its republican form of government. The Christian Republic was founded in reaction to the "weak" Wittelsbach king the Holy German Empire had prior to the bloody revolution which deposed him. The Wittelsbachs were on good terms with the "alien" and "pagan" Ming Empire, a matter which worried even the very Catholic population. After news came out that the Ming were bribing German aristocrats and buying German companies, societal upheaval began. On the forefront were the Catholic religious leaders, who were eager to use this opportunity to get rid of the Wittelsbachs, who had lost the grace of the clergy decades ago due to their opulent lifestyle. The CRG is a young nation, only ten years old, but it has quickly adapted to its new "theodemocratic" government.

D1: North German Federation (1910)

The North German Federation is one of Europe's great powers, however it is often grouped as being barely ahead of countries like Italy or Portugal. This is due to North Germany's tiny colonial empire, its weak navy, and the awkward situation with its Hohenzollern exclave, which is stuck between the Republic of Baden and the South German Union. North Germany does however have a strong local industry, with coal, iron and steel being major exports. North Germany is also a pioneer in the very young aeronautics industry, with early airplanes and balloon-based vehicles being heavily sponsored by the strong army. North Germany is a close ally to the United Kingdom and the French Republic, and is opposed to the Alliance of Buda between the Austro-Hungarian and the Russian Empires.

D2: Republic of Germany (1940)

Despite losing the First World War, Germany managed to come out of the conflict okay. Typical peace terms, including reparations and partial war guilt, were relatively easy to bare for the public, and only a few radicals ever decried the Peace of Versailles. The Republic of Germany, which kept calling itself the German Empire until 1929, quickly adapted to peace and started to once again be an economic and cultural powerhouse. German scientists, film makers, and engineers are revered around the world for their ingenuity, and the German Foreign Corps has joined the Great Alliance fighting against Japanese imperialist ambitions in Asia and the Pacific.

D3: Empire of the Germans (1899)

The Empire of the Germans is the strongest economy of Europe thanks to the industry of Wallonia, the Ruhr Area, and Silesia. Founded by the Kingdom of Prussia in 1849, the Empire is a also one of the most liberal states of Europe. It is blessed by its strong democratic institutions, which guarantees the German people many rights. It also has become the world's second-strongest colonial power, just behind the British Empire, and it is a close ally to the Polish Republic, with which it gladly shares its Baltic ports with. Only the conservative block led by the Russian Tsardom, along with its Danish and Austrian allies, worries the German public.

D4: New German Republic (1969)

The New German Republic is an outsider in Europe. Despite a military alliance with the United States and NATO, the NGR is not a member of the European Conference led by fellow NATO-member France, and its role as the host country of several military bases for the Americans have alienated the country from the Soviet bloc and thus from its cultural sibling, the Democratic People's Republic of Prussia based in Königsberg. It also is a country with a mostly agrarian economy, however the Ruhr and the areas surrounding the Lausitz are still economic hubs.

Last edited:
Great map, but if the POD is as long ago as I think it is (what year?) then those borders on Sub Saharan Africa are awfully convergent with OTL. Is that deliberate or were butterflies ignored outside of the Commonwealth? Not that there is anything wrong with that considering the focus of your map.
:)

Not sure about the exact year but 1490s-1520s is pretty much where the POD is. But yes butterflies where ignored so for example current Governor-General of Rumelia and the Caliph of Islam is the same person who would be Sultan if you restored Ottoman Empire now (actually might be different with the changes in 20th century). Even then there are still butterflies. Portugal holds Goa still (or it is an independent republic. unsure about it), Timor is whole, Gran Colombia may very well still exist, Texas has a large Mormon minorty, Mexico holds land as far north as Utah and I envision China not being a communist state. I may expand the map to include non Commonwealth nations later to illustrate the entire world but this map only came to me as the random idea of "What if Cem Sultan's descendents survive and later marry into the English monarchy?" Which came to include a United Anglo-Dutch Empire, Saudis getting nipped in the bud (they still rule Nejd by that's it) and British keeping the entirety of the Ottoman Empire for themselves after WW1 because of their Dynastic Claim.

upload_2018-8-28_13-0-20.png

Something fun I wanted to do
Year of our Lord 1551
Francis Xavier prepared his voyage home from Japan back to Goa. His voyage to Japan, while being noteworthy for the first visit of proselytizing missionaries to Japan, his mission did not convert as many as hoped. He set sail from Tanegashima for his long voyage. A month passed, but a strange sight appeared: Land. not just any land, but a recognisable city for him; Lisbon, the city where the man that sent him on his expedition came from. As many traders in the North Sea came quick to learn; the isles of Great Britain were gone, and a strange Oriental land had replaced it; one not a part of Christendom too. The situation became even worse: The Pope and all of Italy and its neighbouring islands were gone; a kingdom named Joseon and a province of the Ming, Liaodong and some savage tribes of Jurchens. Across the world, the peoples of Italy and Britain woke up to a new world. The fate of Europe hangs in the balance with the marching armies of the Ottoman Empire move towards Vienna, while the lands of Liaodong, Joseon, and Nihon must struggle to survive in a new lands.

11 Danubias

------

10danubias.png

So while I was working on my already well-known World of Nightrise project, finishing maps, making character sprites and continuing to write on the Master TL, this kind-of "alternatehistory.com meme" popped up and everyone did them (spamming the discord with it).
So one day a discord member approached me and asked "why don't you make one of these too with your Danubia from Nightrise?"

I decided "why not?" and started doing it. However, this will be a bit different from the usual kind of these "memes", which look at different timelines for a certain area (like Brazil) without these being in relation to each other. This list of maps (with the exception of #1 and #11) will all be based on a "what if things happened differently in the Nightrise timeline?", exploring the possibilities from the PoD 1852 onwards on.

Additionally, please note that these will be composed in a highly speculative way ("One of the reasons probably is [...]","This likely is caused") since these second PoDs usually involve different decisions by fictional characters, so they are more theoretical assumptions than the actual, IRL-possible PoDs discussed in the normal type of this meme.

#1 - The Danube Monarchy ("The Danube Monarchy in the Prime Timeline") - [Current Year on graphic: 1972]
PoD Date: 1855
PoD Reason: Two men from an OTL-like world are unwillingly summoned into this timeline.
--------
The Danube Monarchy as we (will ^^') know it from the Prime Timeline, the main Timeline of the World of Nightrise Universe.
The demihuman revolts which had started since the original PoD in 1852 weren't in an optimal state anymore, but this is radically changed when two German university graudees are unwillingly thrown back in time to serve as "end solution" assistants against the demihuman revolts but immediately change sides and help a local Carniolan (Slovenian) revolt to topple the Habsburg government in Vienna.

Seeing that the freedom of the awakened demihuman races could only secured through a state like Austria, or through a power that could ensure peace on the continent, and seeing themselves confronted with the legacy of creating a united German state under a responsible doctrine that keeps the atrocities and lost souls of their OTL-like timeline in mind, they decide to take on the fight against the increasinly anti-demihuman stanced German rival Prussia and eventually manage to defeat the originally more powerful German state by playing its own cards against it. The main actor of the two, Friedrich Grünewald, who had become the sort-of "despotic" 'New Kaiser' of Austria, builds up strong ties to the demihuman-led state of Congress Poland and eventually marries its queen, Valéria Malinowski, forming a strong tie between the German and Polish People, as well as the minority ethnicities.
After unifying Central Europe in the borders we know today, and fighting a second war with Russian from 1868 until 1871, the country ends up victorious in the Great Victory Congress of 1872.

Seeing themselves as a finished country, they enter a neutralistic, isolationist policy of non-intervention and non-bloc foreign policy which roughly keeps being successful until 1912 when the 30-year lease of Shantung (shandong) ends and the country sparks a crisis with the increasingly anti euro-colonial powers of China and Japan, as the country keeps its possession on the two port cities Tsingtau and Wilhelmshafen (Weihaiwei).

During the time of the Great War (1919-1925, however technologically more comparable to WW2), the country stays neutral due to the difficult relationships with the increasingly anti-demihuman Imperial alliance and the demihuman-integral but anti-european Asian powers. This, however, changes in 1924 when France (member of the Imperial alliance) stages a terrorist attack "by the Chinese" in order to get the powerful Danubian Empire on their side, only to watch themselves fall within weeks after Danubia had noticed the false flag and had declared war on them (which to modern day - 1972 - is the only time the danube monarchy had declared an offensive war against any other country since 1872).

Following the defeat of the Imperial alliance, the two Spheres (German and Asian) spheres come close to each other again, forming the Eurasia-spanning Duosphere which remains the main sphere of power and civilization to this day.

#2 - Danube Confederation (Donaubund) ("Eden upon Danube") - [1970]
PoD Date: 1857/1858
PoD Reason: Instead of dealing with the Unification of Germany and other issues, the Austrian Empire and it's south german puppet states decide to stay with themselves and create a danube-based Federation.
--------
After the South German Confederacy was created in 1856, the two new leaders of the revolt, Friedrich Grünewald (the new Kaiser) and Peter Eisenacher (the 'Advisor' of the Kaiser and the Chancellor as well), stood at a a crossway: Either risk the current status and try to unify Germany by toppling Prussia, or concentrate on integrating the current areas and make the country's legality based on its erection of a demihuman society than on nationality as well.
While in the Prime Timeline, the two decide to topple Prussia, in this timeline, they decide the former - a relatively small but highly developed and demihuman-integral "Danube Monarchy" - A Country, no, an Eden upon Danube.

This country would likely assert a similar policy of neutralistic isolationism, trying to be a greater Switzerland. Prussia and Austria eventually cease their hostilities and enter a cooperative relationship as their spheres of influence are now fixed and Austria doesn't try to cripple Prussia anymore, which now has set its sails towards the world, the sea, rivaling the Republic of Britain (which originally went down the weimar route in 1867) and the French Empire.

However, while being culturally and technologically still quite influent, the Danube Confederacy plays a far lesser role in world politics and a friendly relationship between (East) Asia and Europe is never established, resulting in a cold war between the more expansionist Japan (Sino-Japanese friendship and an EU-esque Asian alliance like in the PTL never was a thing in this TL) and the Euroamerican Civilization.

#3 - Kingdom of Slovenia ("Following the roots") - [1970]
PoD Date: 1855/1856
PoD Reason: The objective of the Carniolan revolt never changes into conquering all of Austria but continues to aim at the creation of a unified Slovene state.
--------
When the Carniolan revolt, the revolt in whose area the two travelers unwillingly "spawned" in, was still in its early months, it actually had another objective in addition to the liberation and end of prosecution of demihumans: the Unification of all Slovene lands into the area which had already been a subject in 1848.
While in the Prime Timeline, Grünewald and Eisenacher are able to convince the council of the revolt to reassign their objective towards annexing all of Austria because that would give them a better strategic position against outside threats, it is decided that they should only concentrate on unifying the "Slovene Lands" (a state that would ultimatively be German-Slovene-Croat trilingual due to its ethnic composition) and equip it with more modern tech, creating a small, culturally unified [German and Slovene cultures were considered to be extremely similar, and still are sometimes considered so to this day iOTL] and geographical-technologically impenetrable country which could play the planned "second switzerland" role even better than the Danube Confederacy could do.

The small but technologically OP country fights off several attempts by states like Italy, Germany, Hungary or Yugoslavia to snatch some of their territory and becomes a second haven of international organizations, Political/Racial refugees (often from Germany) and scientific research/institutions, much like Switzerland. The rest of Europe is plunged into chaos a few times due to the Imperialistic ambitions of a Prussian Germany trying to bond the formerly Russian territories that had declared independence on its side.
In fact, this timeline ends up quite similar to Kaiserreich. (I honestly can't say how a denihuman world would look like without the danube monarchy so i guess it would be actually quite similar to what would happen if germany went the same route as OTL but won the ww1 equivalents because of a weakened Russia, an annexed German-Austria and country-hopping in eastern europe)

#4 - Greater German Empire ("Fuck time paradoxons, we're already in one") - [1900]
PoD Date: 1855-1857
PoD Reason: The radical ideas of Grünewald and Eisenacher are never deradicalized, creating a progress-maniacal country with two maniacs at its top
--------
Now this one is an interesting one.
What happens here is that the radical ideas which Grünewald and Eisenacher (the latter being quite a fan of nuclear power and weapons, and the one responsible for the Norwegian-Swedish Technocracy in the PTL) had as a result of their knowledge of future technology (kinda a William Walker syndrome) are never deradicalized like they are in the PTL.

This never leads to the creation of the Security Council which aims at keeping technological progress at reasonable speed or any other institution and principle known in the PTL - because the two decide to go full maniac. A heavy effort is done into getting Austria/the German State onto the "level of technology" the Mirror Timeline Federal Republic of Germany had in 2025, which leads to nuclear weaponry use during the battle of Russia (1870), in which the Russian Empire, a vast land power, is destroyed in a world-shocking 2-3 weeks.

The new elephant in the room, which by now had abandoned almost all of its original principles of freedom and liberation, makes the russian empire as the main initiator of anti-demihuman pogroms responsible for the deaths of all demihumans killed in pogroms, collectively slaughtering all east slavs which they deem as accomplices of the russian killing machine.
This ending of the demihuman wars looks, feels and also acts like a nazi victory scenario in which the east slavic people are slaughtered like flies, sometimes even by gathering city populations on a large field and wiping them out through a nuclear explosion.

You can also see on the map that a ton of nuclear tests have been made in the north and east of european 'russia'. Additionally, you can only see germany's puppets on this map but not its sphere of influence (which basically spans the whole world).

[I in no way advocate for actual genocide of this kind or any other kind, and I don't support any actions done by the maniac versions of my story's main characters in this scenario. This is simply just a kind-of overly extreme depiction of how a maniacal and paranoid dictator would look like]

#5 - Autark Community of the Danube Monarchy ("The new government is strict. So strict, they close the country. No one can leave, and no one can come in.") - [1970]
PoD Date: 1926
PoD Reason: The autark policies which were only partially introduced in the PTL are wholly introduced, abandoning all colonies
--------
So this is an idea which I already had before while thinking about Danubia's "balance" and its post-1925 history.
In the PTL, the Government introduces several autarkic policies that aim to make several industrial sectors like energy production, food production and providing transportation, water and other basic living services entirely self sufficient in the case of total isolation by its surrounding countries. The aim was to make the backbone of the country independent from outside influences to avoid political blackmail.

In this TL, the government decides to go a little bit further, completing the autark system and making all motherland+european puppet economies self-sufficient in all/almost all aspects, and releasing all of its colonies in order to deplete supply line threats. The goal of the government in this TL is to isolate the Danube Monarchy into its own little microcosm, minimizing outside interaction (though not prohibiting it like in the GDR or North Korea OTL). The Only non-autark province remaining in Danubian hands is the mediterranean reichsland, which faces heavy depopulation (due to the fact that the DM won't be able to protect it in case of war) and increasing black market.

#6 - Council Republics of Middle Europe (Räterepubliken Mitteleuropas) ("Workers around the world, unite!/Die rote Donau") - [1917]
PoD Date: 1852-ish
PoD Reason: Grünewald and Eisenacher never arrive in the Nightrise timeline (or remain unsuccessful/died) and a communist uprising unites Germany instead.
--------
This is yet another interesting scenario since it actually is an in-canon alternatehistory book (like MITHC's 'the grasshopper lies heavy' or Kaiserreich's 'Führerreich') called "Die rote Donau" (the red danube) which is why the flag of this country has a swastika, as the creator of this book simply butchered the pandemonium symbol (seen in #1, #2 and #8) of the Carniolan uprising and changing it into "something different".
The timeline of this book is written "quite coincidentally" similar to the USSR's early pre-1960 history, as a Hungarian madman communist (equivalent to stalin) takes over the newly created communist state, which begins to conquer more and more territories in eastern europe to spread the Ideology around the world.

The map shows the state of the country at the outbreak of the Second World War (The Räterepublik sees the Uprising wars as the first "World [influencing] War") 1917, in which the country will conquer most of europe and stage attempts to create a socialist world republic.

[What else would you expect from a book written by a communist ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ WORKERS OF THE WORLD, UNITE!]

#7 - Republic of Germany ("The Democratic way always is the right way") - [2000]
PoD Date: 1858/1862
PoD Reason: The Zürichplan, a territorial plan for Germany which was abandoned in 1858 is kept; A full democracy is established in Germany in 1862 instead of a Danube Empire.
--------
So this timeline has more or less two PoDs that make it differ from the PTL. One of these is that the Zürichplan, a “plan for the territorial reorganization of Central Europe for the Unification of Germany”, which aimed at uniting Germany under a “mere” Greater German Solution and annexing the German/Italian Parts of Switzerland instead of the Greater Austrian/Mitteleuropa solution we know from the PTL.

This is likely caused by Valéria Malinowski moving to Austria and thus rendering the original purpose of the Polish state’s existence useless, which leads Austria into not entering an alliance with “Poland” and then accepting the Zürichplan as proper solution.
The second PoD/significant change is in 1862 when it is decided that the German State should become a Federal Democracy instead of the current monarchical system, giving the Grünewald-Malinowski family the opportunity to leave politics and withdraw themselves to Schönbrunn residence, leading an industrial manufacturing company instead. [This is actually a quite interesting idea :thinking:]

The reason for this is likely because the Culturally quite homogeneous German Empire could be run via a democracy in contrast to the PTL where it was decided that the monarchy was necessary to hold the multi-ethnic danube monarchy together until a basic understanding/acceptance of Danubia was reached (which at this point made the Monarchy an integral part of the Danubian identity).

The Republic of Germany follows its 1848 ideals and embraces the idea of liberal nationalism in europe, supporting national unification movements in the Balkans and in Eastern Europe. Even though the country fought France and took Alsace-Lorraine, it is able to establish an okay relationship with its western neighbor, though its largest ally is probably the Republic of Great Britain and Ireland.

#8 - German State & Malinowski Dynasty in-exile (Kingdom of Taipeh) ("Vienna has fallen") - [1939]
PoD Date: 1936-1937
PoD Reason: A Nationalist/seperatist revolt somehow topples the Danubian monarchy and government and plunges the former Reichsbund/Danubian Territories into chaos.
--------
This actually is the timeline which I am stepping in the dark with the most because in the current version of Nightrise there never was such a “terrorist” organization that intended the whole destruction of the DM, especially not at that time, and I also don’t really intend to implement one.
However, I’ve thought about what measurements the Grünewald-Malinowski Family would’ve had made in case such a scenario happens, which is why I included it in here.

The Danubian government is infiltrated by a terrorist organization in the late 1930s (technologically equivalent to OTL 70s) and is subject of a terrorist coup which involves a series of terrorist attacks comparable to the OTL 9/11 attacks: The Kaiserreich tower [a more neo-baroque/neo-renaissance version of the Empire State Building built in 1907], its surrounding government buildings and Schönbrunn palace, the residence of the Malinowski since 1855, are destroyed and a military/nationalist coup takes control of the region. While the royal family unexpectedly survives the attacks, they are forced to retreat and eventually have to flee to Switzerland, then being transferred to the Malinowski-loyal puppet state of Taipeh which offered them their government. Since this day, the Malinowski govern the Kingdom of Taipeh and regain a shaky but existent control over the Malaynesian Colonies with help of ally Japan.

The Mainland is subject to a heavy-loss civil war in which different "national states" try to gain most of their ethnic pocket exclaves and are in itself deeply divided over how to proceed. The Polish-German(-Slovenian) friendship established gives the German (, Slovenian) and Polish national states an advantage over the other factions but that is more of a drop in the bucket within the huge mess inside the former Reichsbund territories.

#9 - German Confederation/former German-Polish Commonwealth ("I never thought France was this strong") - [1922]
PoD Date: 1857-1858ish
PoD Reason: Only a commonwealth status between Germany and Poland is arranged, making the country weaker and lose to the French in a second war.
--------
Yet another "false" decision made by Friedrich Grünewald. The PoD works in a way as that Grünewald and Valéria Malinowski never enter an intimate relationship, for a whatever minor [butterfly] reason,
causing their Austrio-Polish Alliance to be purely political, which ends up in the creation of a decentralized and somewhat incompetent/conflicted German-Polish Commonwealth.

As you can see on the "faded lines" which display the former extention of the German-Polish Commonwealth, the GPC had annexed some territories in France/the BeNeLux and Switzerland, infuriating France which followingly weaponizes itself in a frenzy of revenge, and also seeking allies with similar grudges against the new state. They find them in Denmark (who had lost to prussia a few times and seeked to regain Schleswig-Holstein), Italy (Irredenta) and Russia (hoping to regain the more industrialized areas of Congress Poland).

The result is a France and Russia-influenced Rump State called the German Confederation, which is decentralized to a point where it nearly isn't even a state anymore, and which also has authority over the "too irrelevant/closely related" Republics of Bohemia and Batavia.

#10 - German Empire (Hohenzollern dynasty) ("Those silly Austrians. Not even their despot Kaiser could scratch on Preußens Gloria.") - [1915]
PoD Date: 1858
PoD Reason: Austria Loses to Prussia. The unbelievable.
--------
This is yet another one of these "dumb decision" Timelines. In most of the other Timelines (and especially in the PTL) we see a revolutionary Austria led by an unwilling time traveler steamrolling both Prussia and Russia with an actually competent and somewhat OP Austrian Army, but what if the unthinkable happened: They fucked up stuff during their fights with Prussia.
Some decision made different butterflies away the somewhat "luck" the Austrians had when defeating the major Prussian army, and instead, they lose the main battle and lose ,province over province, their territories.

This is the case in this timeline in which, despite the united efforts of Poland and Austria, Prussia is not defeated and instead is able to make the two countries capitulate. This causes the loss of the two most promising demihuman revolts to an increasingly anti-demihuman "Army with a State", with the revolt leaders either being killed, going underground or being pressured into a small rump austria as a result.
Prussia, now holding a(n almost [if they stay alive]) completely decapitated Austrian Empire and Poland in its hands, Is able to expand much more than it did in OTL 1866, being able to unite all of Germany under its banner, including Confederal [the areas inside the former German Confederation 1815-1856] Austria and its napoleonic South Prussia and New East Prussia.

Prussia is able to defeat Russia, a relatively weak state at the time due to the awakening chaos [Russia was practically in civil war] and as a result reannexes old Prussian Order lands and adds a few eastern european states to its collection of puppets. During the 1870s and 1880s, the German Empire asserts much influence on colonial politics and eventually even annexes Belgium in a colonial war, much to the dissatisfaction of France, which would become increasingly hostile to Germany, which is now [in 1915] facing an international crisis that would lead to the first Great War.

#11 - Federal Republic of Germany (Mirror Timeline) ("This thing is...weird.") - [2025]
PoD Date: 1852/1992
PoD Reason: No awakening happens in th first place; Kaliningrad is bought by Germany in 1992.
--------
This is kinda a bonus round because it's inherently different from all the others as there is no magical awakening from 1852 onwards, which is the main PoD of the World of Nightrise universe.
This is the Federal Republic of Germany from Nightrise's Mirror Timeline, which is the timeline the two time travelers are from. It essentially is OTL just with a few "artistical freedom" timeline changes post-1990s that involve Kaliningrad being bought in 1992 after Gorbachev had offered it to the German State, which was declined OTL. Additionally, as a result of the missing Baltic port, Russia is more "aggressive" in the Crimean crisis and manages to annex a large part of eastern Ukraine, which later on joins the EU in 2019. The Map is set in 2025 and the changes made to it are essentially just to show that is isn't OTL and any real life similarities within the PTL or the MTL are "purely coincidental/artistical" since it technically is a non-OTL alternate timeline.

Edit: Now that I read through it I think I made it too timeline-focused, not describing how it's like in these countries... ugh I could've made this better...
-------------------------------------
So this is yet another World of Nightrise map series. I know you gus probably either are already extremely bored by the scenario or want to kill me for not posting it already, and I'm really sorry that you're hearing nothing about me or the Nightrise project on here even though it has been in development for well over 1-2 years, but I am pleased to say that it is nearing completion and I'm planning to release it soon. Currently I'm planning to release it either on September 28th (might be too close) or on November 5th when my Atumn holidays end. Of course, if I end up getting it done earlier, I'll be happy to release it right away but we'll see how things go.

Last edited:
Excellent! Love the color schemes and the amount of detail! I have one question though, why does the leftist(?) version of Germany use the Swastika? Is it an alt-Strasserism?
It's mentioned in the text:
This is yet another interesting scenario since it actually is an in-canon alternatehistory book (like MITHC's 'the grasshopper lies heavy' or Kaiserreich's 'Führerreich') called "Die rote Donau" (the red danube) which is why the flag of this country has a swastika, as the creator of this book simply butchered the pandemonium symbol (seen in #1, #2 and #8) of the Carniolan uprising and changing it into "something different".
^^

Anyone interested in a Red!Germany vs UK cold war map with a Articles of Confederation failing POD? No story involved with it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.