Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy cow, that Mongolia!!! (not to mention Greece - it just looks like, or really everything from Istanbul to Aden? not to mention Sulawesi :evilsmile:)
I am a bit confused too, west Papua is part of Japan sphere? And is it soviet South Africa??
(Jewish Madagascar? And that thing in central Europe... Hungary, Romania or something completely different?)

OK, a little background: originally I wanted to make a global cover of this map, Toixstory's map for AshleeNova's Nordic Empire scenario. I read what I could find about the larger scenario by looking for AshleeNova's posts on it (I may have missed some) but perhaps due to wanting to "go it myself" didn't actually ask them for suggestions. Eventually I bogged down on the Americas and shifted it to my "maybe get back to eventually" pile.

But then rvbomally came up with a very nice cover of the globe, and while at first I thought ("welp. No point in doing it now.") after a bit I found myself oddly energized to continue: it was clear that AshleeNova had made some additions that contradicted what I thought I knew or had assumed, so I thought "OK, I'll do a cover of a cover - a cover of rvbomally's map - which will also include elements of a cover of _another_ cover of the scenario my interpretation of which doesn't quite match what the original creator was thinking.")

So, out of that mess of notions, this emerged. Hope you find it at least moderately interesting.

(I got the idea of the Purhepecha League rather than Big Ol' Aztec Empire from @Chairwoman

Roxelana.)
Excuse the archaic meme, but...
images

Holy cow, that Mongolia!!! (not to mention Greece - it just looks like, or really everything from Istanbul to Aden? not to mention Sulawesi :evilsmile:)
I am a bit confused too, west Papua is part of Japan sphere? And is it soviet South Africa??
(Jewish Madagascar? And that thing in central Europe... Hungary, Romania or something completely different?)
Sulawesi is owned by Hungary. West papua is under soviet control.
Yes, there's a jewish Madagascar. Hungary is light purple. Greece dark purple

"OK, I'll do a cover of a cover - a cover of rvbomally's map - which will also include elements of a cover of _another_ cover of the scenario my interpretation of which doesn't quite match what the original creator was thinking.")

Anyway, great work! Always happy to see interpretations different from mine.

Whelp, it's that time of the year, time to dig out one of my older magnum opuses to share with you all.

Happy Easter Everyone!

Ah, here's one. The Great Confederation:
the_great_confederation_by_spiritswriter123-d6x9e8l.png

Before we go any further, whenever I say 'American', I mean the North.

An alternate timeline where the Dakota people were able to take Fort Snelling and the guns in it, then defeated the American regiments coming their way.

Some background: During the early months of the American civil war, the Dakota tribes were left out of their rations. Of course they were diplaced from their homes to the Minnesota River Valley just a few years before on the promise of food, and not getting that food was just insulting for the Natives. So in 1862, Chief Little Crow reluctantly rose up against the local Europeans and burned some local settlements, the largest being New Ulm. In OTL, the American forces were able to destroy the uprising at Wood Lake, but in this timeline Little Crow was able to retreat in time and called and sent messengers across western America to the other Natives and asked for their own uprisings.

Few Chiefs did do or encourage this, but many warriors, especially Dakota, reached Little Crow. Meanwhile, Lincoln was displacing more and more men to try to quell what was suppose to be a small revolt but was growing larger and much more annoying, allowing the Confederacy itself to become more annoying.

Little Crow was able to dodge American Attacks, then making quick strikes from all directions, demoralizing the Americans, then go gather weapons, ammunition, and professional uniforms from the corpses. In this way, Little Crow's army slowly grew more modern and the American Army withering away. Fort Ridgely would be taken at the beginning of December (where they got their first cannon), and Fort Snelling would fall at the end of February of 1863. The capture would lead many more chiefs to rise against the Americans and large gains from Washington State to Iowa would occur. Lincoln now had two civil wars going on at the same time.

The south was also making large gains and captured Saint Louis in June. General Lee and and Little Crow would meet personally at Springfield, Illinois, in July, where they signed a declaration of friendship, officially recognizing Dakota Independence. Lee quickly had to leave though to continue fighting the war in the East, while he left his second in command, Stonewall Jackson, to help train. In August, Chicago was taken, and in October, Lee captured Baltimore. The Northern Army was on full retreat, and in February they had to surrender the South. Lee and Little Crow once again met at Washington DC to help negotiate the treaty. All the native peoples, not just the Dakota, wanted independence, so as part of the treaty, all the Native Tribes were given independence.

The different tribes quickly gathered into related confederations, and in July 2nd of 1869, the treaty of Fort Snelling created the Great Confederation, a kind of confederation of confederations (what you see on the map is the lesser confederations). Many Natives weren't very pleased with losing their homeland, but they were still happy with having their own nation.

In other News: after the war, the Americans had trouble when it came to contact with California, and so the west coast broke off from the Union.
The Confederates conquered North-west Mexico in order to get access to the Pacific, but it's Cotton industry has plummeted (although they do trade it to Chile, Peru, and Hawaii) (Because Britain and France basically said, in internet terms, lol nope, and used their own cotton and their colonies, the South had no one to really ship to), and so abandon slavery ANYWAYS!!!

by 1900, the Great Confederation has basically adopted an odd mix of their local cultures and Capitalism. One example is where Plains Tribes such as the Cheyenne Confederation have buffalo hunters kill some buffalo, have that material sent as quickly as possible to say the Sioux Confederation, where they will eat and use the bones and such. In return, they have a small factory that builds weapons, ammunition, and other materials and sends those materials back to the Cheyenne Tribes (basically structuring itself like many of the European states of this time period)

By the way, so far none of these four countries that came after the Civil War have really gotten an advantage over the other, and none will probably ever really become a Super Power
*reads over this again* Wow, this is hilarious, what kind of moron came up with a scenario like this XD And that map tho.

Aurantiacis

Gone Fishin'
Now quick, delete all the messages on the thread about this so we so it dosen’t seem like we really want this to finish!

@Antonio Ferrari Ferrari
oh, ok, i get it. Thanks
Tomislav Addai
Cool! Somemore info to it? I love christian state in south India, but I am a bit confused about central Asia and Afghanistan. And Azerbaijan, when we are in it (bart of Greater Armenia or what?)

It's always good to see something by you - it's always going to be creative.

Just poorer communications links across Asia, or is China actually generally more backwards in this TL?
Thanks! A little bit of both, I think

Edit: I try to learn from the best of course.

Last edited:
BnedGAt.png

An opening/teaser to my current WIP timeline involving a new Chinese dynasty, various breakaway states and a different East Asia.

Made a little TL about a more successful Austrian North Borneo colony. ITTL, the Austrians and British would probably fight several skirmishes over the the Northern half of the island. Because, Austria didn't have any other colonies to worry about, they would likely win these skirmishes resulting in a reduced British presence on the island. In 1898, during the Spanish- American War, opportunistic Austrians would capture Palawan Island from the Spanish, further growing Austrian Borneo.
austrianborneomap.png

(A map of Borneo with North Borneo as an Austrian colony in 1900)
In the First World War, the Austrians would take British Borneo in 1914. However, in 1915, ANZAC forces would take the colony. In the treaty St. Germain, Austrian Borneo would be made an Australian mandate. In the Second World War, Austrian Borneo (now called North Borneo) would be occupied by the Japanese between 1941 and 1945. It would return to Australian rule following the war.
austrianborneomapII.png

(A map of Borneo following WWII in 1945)
Following the war, many in North Borneo would demand full independence. These would be heightened in 1957, following the independence of Malaysia. The Australians would (reluctantly) give independence to North Borneo in 1958. Democracy would thrive in the young nation and today it's known for it's tourism sector and has a relatively high standard of living. It's also the only country outside of Europe which lists Hungarian as an official language.
austrianborneomapIII.png

(a map of Borneo following North Borneo's independence in 1958)

Last edited:
Made a little TL about a more successful Austrian North Borneo colony. ITTL, the Austrians and British would probably fight several skirmishes over the the Northern half of the island. Because, Austria didn't have any other colonies to worry about, they would likely win these skirmishes resulting in a reduced British presence on the island. In 1898, during the Spanish- American War, opportunistic Austrians would capture Palawan Island from the Spanish, further growing Austrian Borneo.

(A map of Borneo with North Borneo as an Austrian colony in 1900)
In the First World War, the Austrians would take British Borneo in 1914. However, in 1915, ANZAC forces would take the colony. In the treaty St. Germain, Austrian Borneo would be made an Australian mandate. In the Second World War, Austrian Borneo (now called North Borneo) would be occupied by the Japanese between 1941 and 1945. It would return to Australian rule following the war.

(A map of Borneo following WWII in 1945)
Following the war, many in North Borneo would demand full independence. These would be heightened in 1957, following the independence of Malaysia. The Australians would (reluctantly) give independence to North Borneo in 1958. Democracy would thrive in the young nation and today it's known for it's tourism sector and has a relatively high standard of living. It's also the only country outside of Europe which lists Hungarian as an official language.

(a map of Borneo following North Borneo's independence in 1958)

I really like this (mostly because I love the idea of genuine Austrian colonies), but I think that some of that Sarawakian interior should probably go to the DEI/Indonesia since that's a lot of jungle, for the most part, and probably hard to reach without access to the nearby coast.

I really like this (mostly because I love the idea of genuine Austrian colonies), but I think that some of that Sarawakian interior should probably go to the DEI/Indonesia since that's a lot of jungle, for the most part, and probably hard to reach without access to the nearby coast.
this better?
austrianborneomap.png

austrianborneomapII.png

austrianborneomapIII.png

Status
Not open for further replies.