Finally! The Peshawar Lancers Map!

What with? Greater Colombia (again), perhaps?
I don't remember. Let me go look.

EDIT: Yes indeed. Though it isn't quite great, it exists, along with Peru. Columbia has only expanded south mostly and not into Venezuela as much (except on the coast) because it's blocked by the llanos.

I still must wonder why some sort of German Southern Exodus didnt occur....

There was a thread where the Germans made the ultimate exodus, settling in Polynesia and becomin the Polynesian/Chilean Reich. I guess it makes since considering the British are able to mass evacute their nobility halfway around the world...

Would anyone like to attempt to create a "more realistic" Peshawar Lancers timeline, without destroying the aspects that made it uniquely Peshawar Lancers? Such as the Angrezi Raj and the evil cultist Russian Empire, for instance.

I tried something akin to adding onto the canonical TPLverse with this thread. My main additions to the universe, besides the United States of Mexico, would be:

* The existence of an Argentine Republic (in formation) trying to break away from the Brazilian overlords of South America.

* Abyssinia exists as an independent nation, rather like Madagascar.

* An independent Siam, playing off the Raj and Dai-Nippon because the Thai always gets the plum job of diplomatically unconquerable in these alt-histories.

The First Siamese War was fought in order to gain a sphere of influence of the nation against the Nipponese, and the Second Siamese War was fought in order to preserve it. Siam basically owns Laos and Kampuchea, as in OTL, whilst the Raj claims Laos, Cambodia and some other regions for France-outre-mere (in order to have happy relations, and all that). Those regions are currently under Dai-Nippon's rule, due to wins from after SWII, while the Raj annexed western OTL Thailand from the traitorous Thai.

Aside from that, Siam is doing quite well, as in OTL, playing off the colonizers against each other whilst absorbing trade and technology from both. It has begun to emerge as a potent, modernized independent buffer state, unless a third SW wipes it out. It'll probably become a client state like Madagascar under the Raj, or maybe Dai-Nippon's first actual satellite (as opposed to conquered territory for assimilation).

* A Zululand kingdom in Southern Africa (The Zulus are still around since they were not defeated in 1879.). Or at alternatively, they refuse to become a client kingdom for the Raj, and are instead the bane of the existence for the Afrikaaners.

* The Maori are treated in some way analogous to the client kingdoms/martial races of India. Or if this is too ahistorical, they're not.

I guess not all of these ideas would translate very well, but I'm interested as to the opinions of anyone else on this forum.

If I could change anything in PL, it would be the Brit-wank. Stirling always likes to have his personal favorites override plausibility (Draka...). To counter it, I'd probably send a few meteorites towards the center of the Empire, utterly crushing it's capability of being wanked.
How would a Raj-less PL (well, it isn't really PL without the Raj, but forget about that and focus on it as a TL instead) work out?

Hmmmm. I'd be interested in a cooperative project as well. My knowledge would also mostly fall on North America and Europe Germany and beyond though.

Edit: I dont know, Peshawar Lancers isnt Peshawar Lancers without the Raj. Thats what I found most interesting about the book was the mix bretween Britain and India into a new nation. Theres other ways to prevent it from being too wanked out in favour of the Raj besides destroying it.

Simple way to break down the Raj

Have Batavia Stay Free
Have Russia be stronger
Have South Africa do their own thing
Keep a USA of some type alive.

Should weaken the Raj a bit

Would anyone like to attempt to create a "more realistic" Peshawar Lancers timeline, without destroying the aspects that made it uniquely Peshawar Lancers? Such as the Angrezi Raj and the evil cultist Russian Empire, for instance.

I'm considering writing one...

I've got the beginings of a timeline set up, and would welcome other people to help...

I've already posted this teaser map in the map thread:

World Map (2025) 5.PNG

I think there are two extremes to this. On one hand you can just take Stirling's initial premise (meteor fragments hit several locations around Earth) and run with it and remove the Raj, evil Russian Gnostic empire, etc, but that would delete a lot of the stuff that made Peshwar Lancers the book that it was (including, for example, the existence of Peshawar Lancers). On the other hand you can have my initial Star Warsian approach of taking the book as canon and working around what Stirling wrote, but that would take all kinds of textual massaging, such as pretending what the Raj thought about Mexico was all false and distorted.

I'm open to anything in between, or at the extremes. I don't really want to lead this project, though. Anyone want to take the initiative of starting another thread?

More plausible than a random Chinese-Japanese union.

I can understand Japanese Manchuria and east northeast China, even extending into Inner Mongolia, but all of China...

I think I need to change that map somewhat... :eek:
(I'll keep a smaller Caliphate in Arabia, Mesopotamia and the Levant, and maybe southern Anatolia...)

I did have the idea of an independent Persia, though... How well could it survive, considering how mountainous it is?

I can understand Japanese Manchuria and east northeast China, even extending into Inner Mongolia, but all of China...

I think I need to change that map somewhat... :eek:
(I'll keep a smaller Caliphate in Arabia, Mesopotamia and the Levant, and maybe southern Anatolia...)

I did have the idea of an independent Persia, though... How well could it survive, considering how mountainous it is?
I'm not sure about Persia, but something to consider is that since the centre of the Caliphate is further south than that of the OE, a few states centred around Constantinople/Anatolia/Balkans could break away, especially since there's another power ready to help them (Austria).

I think that in most of these maps the penetration of Japan into china seems a bit too far. China is a pretty hostile environment, hell most of it isnt really suitable for agriculture, especially since the fall would have meant the eradication of all social capital that allowed agriculture. I think that pentration should be shown solid along rivers, the coast and particular regions that are strategically important for wars against the raj, Also i think that the Caliphates control of central arabia is slightly far fetched, no ones done that since the umayyads

oh one thing i dont get about the books is how does japan survive, its pretty much the same latitude as britain and has a harsher climate (both hotter and colder) in 1875 it couldnt feed its population without imports, how the hell does it survive to conquer half of asia?

I think there are two extremes to this. On one hand you can just take Stirling's initial premise (meteor fragments hit several locations around Earth) and run with it and remove the Raj, evil Russian Gnostic empire, etc, but that would delete a lot of the stuff that made Peshwar Lancers the book that it was (including, for example, the existence of Peshawar Lancers). On the other hand you can have my initial Star Warsian approach of taking the book as canon and working around what Stirling wrote, but that would take all kinds of textual massaging, such as pretending what the Raj thought about Mexico was all false and distorted.

I'm open to anything in between, or at the extremes. I don't really want to lead this project, though. Anyone want to take the initiative of starting another thread?

A realistic Peshawar would seem the bext approach - basically what AE is doing. Perhaps a collaborative Glen-style TL?

A realistic Peshawar would seem the bext approach - basically what AE is doing. Perhaps a collaborative Glen-style TL?

I will welcome any volunteers to help me... :)
(I was actually thinking about doing something a bit like DoD...)

The TL won't start for at least a couple of months, since I have waaaaaay too much stuff to do already... :eek:

EDIT: Here's a map with some alterations (please comment):

EDIT: I've not divided up Anatolia just yet, though...

World Map (2025).PNG

I will welcome any volunteers to help me... :)
(I was actually thinking about doing something a bit like DoD...)

The TL won't start for at least a couple of months, since I have waaaaaay too much stuff to do already... :eek:

EDIT: Here's a map with some alterations (please comment):

EDIT: I've not divided up Anatolia just yet, though...
Now (except for Naples and Sicily) your Austria is exactly the same as mine!:eek::cool:

Why does the Raj claim Prussia (minus Silesia) and Scandinavia?

Because it can:D.

My guess would be that they were the electors of Hannover so they claimed Hannover, and also somewhere in the books it says the Raj has bases at most of the major European rivers so claims would probably follow those bases.