Finally! The Peshawar Lancers Map!

csa945 said:
I don't have the book on me right now so I can't look it up, but did the Appendix discuss the status of Egypt, and if so what did it say? Correct me if I am mistaken, but before the Fall, its status was kind of in limbo, right? Legally owned by the Ottomans but occupied by Britain. I don't recall it being mentioned at all in the book; I would assume that if it wasn't mentioned as part of the "Crown Colonies" that the Caliphate would have grabbed it.
In 1878 (the date of the Fall) Egypt wasn't yet taken over by the British, but still under the Khedive.

B_Munro said:
There is mention of "Don Pedro's Gaucho cavalry" and their bolas, which does suggest Argentina is part of the S. American empire - something I'm a bit puzzled over, given that the Argentines should have done much better than Brazil post-fall: northern Brazil is hit by tidal waves and famine, while the book says the "Southern cone" misses the "worst effects": should be a magnet for European and american refugees, too. ..
The southern Brazilian state of Rio Grande do Sul also had gaucho's, so by itself this mention does not imply Brazil being any bigger than it was.

I’m going to revive this thread, because it has some very good stuff. However, I’m hijacking it for my own question:

Based on the book, what was the actual damage to the South and Midwest of North America? I know crops failed, and the waves were bad enough to hit the Appalachians, but something tells me that if the human reaction was any different, maybe life could have gone on in the southern areas of the Louisiana Purchase states, and the southwest.

Also, for the last time, the Free Cities of California were NOT Nipponese-influenced. They’re the future battlefield between the Raj and Dai-Nippon, but they’re culturally Anglo-Hispano. And according to the book, they’re “weird theocratic”, which I really wish Stirling would explain.

Additionally, there's no Argentina. I'm working on a fan extended version of TPL, where a caudillo tries to split up the Brazilian Empire, but at the time of the book South America was more or less ruled by Dom Pedro.

Strategos' Risk said:
I’m going to revive this thread, because it has some very good stuff. However, I’m hijacking it for my own question:

Based on the book, what was the actual damage to the South and Midwest of North America? I know crops failed, and the waves were bad enough to hit the Appalachians, but something tells me that if the human reaction was any different, maybe life could have gone on in the southern areas of the Louisiana Purchase states, and the southwest.
Well, if I remember the appendix, there were supposed to be a few meteor hits into the Midwest. The south and west coasts were pretty much intact. Of course, when you factor the famine caused by cometary nuclear winter, civilization is gonna be breaking down pretty fast.

Suez was British at the time of the fall though.
There is mention in the book that they are considering redigging the canal, IIRC the alliance with France was part of working towards this.

Rocano

Banned
Made up

If your making stuff up I thought about a United States of Africa centered around West Africa

This is my take on the Peshawar Lancers map (I've used Stirling's appendices as a guideline, but some of them are contradictory, e.g. India consists of 'what would have becomes the republics of India, Pakistan...' but the Caliphate holds Baluchistan, which is part of OTL Pakistan. So I've used my own discretion.

But "from the Danube to Baluchistan" could mean either:

It holds Baluchistan;

or

It borders Baluchistan;

or

It holds OTL Iranian Baluchistan, while the Raj holds Pakistani Baluchistan.

:p

The problem with that is that France-outre-mere's ambassador to the Raj, Fleaury, specifically mentions that Senegal's overrun with neo-barbarians.

Can you give me a page? I don't remember that. (19th century, sure. But I had the impression that they had at least returned to trade and gunboat diplomacy with south-of-the-Sahara Africans).

Bruce

Oh, and I'm putting my new version of the map on the map thread: I'm going with the "Caliphate extends _to_ Baluchistan but not _into_ it" version: I can hardly see the Raj giving up on it. ("What we have, we hold" and all that).

Bruce

Bring her in. A new map is always welcome. :cool:

Well, here it is:

Peshawar Lancers (With Text) (2035).PNG

Just a point:

Stirling mentions in The Peshawar Lancers that there is no US. Further more, the only states on any sort mentions in the former US are some sort of Mormon state and the "Bear Flag League" or something to that effect...

Other than that, great job!

Just a point:

Stirling mentions in The Peshawar Lancers that there is no US. Further more, the only states on any sort mentions in the former US are some sort of Mormon state and the "Bear Flag League" or something to that effect...

Other than that, great job!

AE's map is of an alternate Peshawarverse, where the USA manages to survive.