Finally! The Peshawar Lancers Map!

I'm certain the book says something about the plate (probally spelt totally wrong) which is the main part of Argentina.

After the comet winter die off, the trees growing in the newly abandoned farms all over the northern hemisphere would just be sucking CO2 out of the air. Figure on global cooling, big time, when combined with the salt and dirt particles floating in the air and reflecting the incoming sunlight, or absorbing it too high and reradiating back out to space.

Well, from what I saw at soc.history.what-if, Stirling's general idea seemed to be something along the lines of a Brazillian-Argentine union, so what I drew is vaguely plausible.

Oh, and I just realized that technically, the Tsar at the time of the Fall, Alexander II, might have had a chance of surviving. After all, the capital was in St. Petersburg, not Moscow.

Ivan Druzhkov said:
Well, from what I saw at soc.history.what-if, Stirling's general idea seemed to be something along the lines of a Brazillian-Argentine union, so what I drew is vaguely plausible.

Oh, and I just realized that technically, the Tsar at the time of the Fall, Alexander II, might have had a chance of surviving. After all, the capital was in St. Petersburg, not Moscow.

Well, the psychic girl says that the leader of the refugees that were moving down into Central Asia was Grand Duke Nikolai, who later became Czar. It was he who discovered the psychic women and became the patron of the Tchernobog cult. Did Alexander have any brothers or uncles named Nikolai?

Thank you so much. I have been trying to make a scenario in Civilization III based on this book for quite some time, but I could never figure out exactly what went where.

Matt Quinn said:
Well, the psychic girl says that the leader of the refugees that were moving down into Central Asia was Grand Duke Nikolai, who later became Czar. It was he who discovered the psychic women and became the patron of the Tchernobog cult. Did Alexander have any brothers or uncles named Nikolai?

Here we go. There's a guy named Grand Duke Nicholas Nikolayevich who was alive and an adult in 1878. In OTL, he was a moderately important Russian general who became the center of the exiled Russian monarchist movement after the RCW (Russian Civil War). He also had a bit of an interest in mysticism. I believe he was also a nephew of Alexander II, so the succession would still work.

Oh, and csa945, if you make that scenario, you'll want to increase the costs of industrial and modern advances (the book claims technology advanced slower in the post-Fall world), though you might want allow Research Labs to be built once Combustion is discovered, maybe renamed as "Babbage Machines".

Ivan Druzhkov said:
Here we go. There's a guy named Grand Duke Nicholas Nikolayevich who was alive and an adult in 1878. In OTL, he was a moderately important Russian general who became the center of the exiled Russian monarchist movement after the RCW (Russian Civil War). He also had a bit of an interest in mysticism. I believe he was also a nephew of Alexander II, so the succession would still work.

-- that's who I had in mind. Although it proved devilishly difficult to pin down exactly where he was.

Someone wrote:
For Want of a Nail

A saying goes: For want of the nail the shoe was lost. For want of the shoe the horse was lost. For want of the horse the rider was lost. For want of the rider the message was lost. For want of the message the battle was lost. For want of the battle the kingdom was lost. And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

Ivan Druzhkov said:
Oh, and csa945, if you make that scenario, you'll want to increase the costs of industrial and modern advances (the book claims technology advanced slower in the post-Fall world), though you might want allow Research Labs to be built once Combustion is discovered, maybe renamed as "Babbage Machines".

Thanks for the tips. I was just planning on starting everyone in 2020 w/ not much more than early industrial advancements: steam power, nationalism (I also just changed Fascism to Satan Worship w/ the Russians as a "Satanic" flavored Civ and gave them as the ability gained by it "canibalism" like the sacrificing slaves that can be done by Meso-American Civs in the 2 Conquests featuring them :) ).

I thought they called the enormous computer an "engine" though. I was thinking about making it a Great Wonder (scientific).

csa945 said:
I thought they called the enormous computer an "engine" though. I was thinking about making it a Great Wonder (scientific).

Well, it is called "The Engine", but we all know it's a Babbage machine. I was under the impression that there were two or three of them in the Indian Viceroyalty, but I don't remember off-hand.

Good stuff, though.

Ivan Druzhkov said:
Well, it is called "The Engine", but we all know it's a Babbage machine. I was under the impression that there were two or three of them in the Indian Viceroyalty, but I don't remember off-hand.

Good stuff, though.

Would they have been called Babbage machines? I know virtually nothing about Babbage other than that he did early work on computers. Was he British or American? If the former, would his ancestors have been in a high enough class to be part of the exodus to India?

Btw, small quibble: India wasn't a viceroyalty; just Australia and South Africa. India was the seat of the royalty.

Thande

Donor
Bow beneath my mastery of DIAGONAL LINES!

This is my take on the Peshawar Lancers map (I've used Stirling's appendices as a guideline, but some of them are contradictory, e.g. India consists of 'what would have becomes the republics of India, Pakistan...' but the Caliphate holds Baluchistan, which is part of OTL Pakistan. So I've used my own discretion.

Red = British Empire/Angrezi Raj
Mid blue = France-outre-mer
Yellow = Dai-Nippon
Purple = Emirate of Afghanistan
Gold = Empire of All Russias (aka 'land of evil cannibal Satanist Russkis!')
Dark green = Caliphate of Damascus
Weird shade of lavender = Kingdom of Madagascar
Orange = Batavian Republic
Odd shade of pale bluey-purple = Californian theocratic city-states
Mid green = Mexico
Pale green = Empire of Brazil
Pale blue = Argentina
Dark blue = Ethiopia
Beige = Tuaregs
Brown = Sultanate of Egypt
Black = Here there be dragons!

Claims of land which is not actually possessed are indicated by diagonal lines.

Peshawar Lancers, 2025.GIF

Last edited:

Leo Caesius

Banned
Thande said:
This is my take on the Peshawar Lancers map (I've used Stirling's appendices as a guideline, but some of them are contradictory, e.g. India consists of 'what would have becomes the republics of India, Pakistan...' but the Caliphate holds Baluchistan, which is part of OTL Pakistan. So I've used my own discretion.
He probably means the Iranian Baluchistan, as opposed to the part that Pakistan has. There's an Iranian Azerbaijan, an Iranian Baluchistan, an Iranian Kurdistan, an Iranian Arabistan (Khuzestan), and several other bits and pieces of countries that tend to complicate things.

swamphen said:
If I'm not mistaken, Babbage (who was British) called his invention a "Difference Engine".
Okay, from what I've read, the machine in question would probably be some type of Analytical Engine. While such a machine would have been essentially a giant gear-driven calculator (the word "computer", in my opinion, falsely implies they are like modern computers), they would have been capable of performing any type of mathematical calcuation. The "Difference Engine", an earlier design, was good only for polynomials. For various reasons, Babbage never build his Analytical Engine.

Oh, and nice map, Thade. I know I threw an update for my map on the Map Thread somewhere.

I don't have the book on me right now so I can't look it up, but did the Appendix discuss the status of Egypt, and if so what did it say? Correct me if I am mistaken, but before the Fall, its status was kind of in limbo, right? Legally owned by the Ottomans but occupied by Britain. I don't recall it being mentioned at all in the book; I would assume that if it wasn't mentioned as part of the "Crown Colonies" that the Caliphate would have grabbed it.

Thande

Donor
No. Egypt is specifically mentioned several times as independent of both the Caliphate and France-outre-mer, specifically described as 'the Sultanate of Egypt'. At one point they mention that the royal family's airship has clearance to cross the Sultanate of Egypt's airspace, and there is also a discussion about how the Raj and France will agree a codominium over Egypt, or possibly just the Suez Canal zone.

It's just not mentioned in the appendices for some reason.