Finally! The Peshawar Lancers Map!

AE's map is of an alternate Peshawarverse, where the USA manages to survive.

Well, OK then. I agree with AE's point though, the meteors didn't hit that much of the US, I guessed the governement could have moved south. Of course, maybe it was too close to Reconstruction for that to happen...

I really like the idea of the U.S. military and the remnants of the government moving south and taking over parts of Mexico, leading to the creation of an "United States of Mexico" and a distinctly Mexican-American culture. Given the incestuous nature of alternate history fiction, there can be all sorts of references and in-jokes to For Want of a Nail.

I really like the idea of the U.S. military and the remnants of the government moving south and taking over parts of Mexico, leading to the creation of an "United States of Mexico" and a distinctly Mexican-American culture. Given the incestuous nature of alternate history fiction, there can be all sorts of references and in-jokes to For Want of a Nail.
I think the name 'United States of America' would be kept... but it'd be a far more Mexican USA, and, yes, referencing For Want of a Nail would be fitting in those circumstances.:D

Well, OK then. I agree with AE's point though, the meteors didn't hit that much of the US, I guessed the governement could have moved south. Of course, maybe it was too close to Reconstruction for that to happen...

um in the book there was a tidal wave that wiped out the east cost so i think DC is gone. and in the 1870's the USA wasn't very United, so collapse isn't unlikely

I'd wondered why Stirling hadn't done that in his book. Maybe he likes post-apocalyptic Britwank?

By the way, I've never read For Want of a Nail, how was it?

I still must wonder why some sort of German Southern Exodus didnt occur....

Me too. There are plenty of other things messed up about the book's premise. Northern Italy and much of the Balkans would be home to German refugees, who would probably form the nobility above native Italian and Balkan peoples.

Much, much, much more French and Spanish would make it out of Europe alive. Only a hundred thousand managed to cross the mediterranean, but three million managed to make it from Britain to the Cape, India, and Australia?

IMO, four or five million French and Spanish would get to North Africa, and less British make it to India, say only a million.

The Americans would probably head south. The United States of Mexico idea was a pretty good one. Surviving Indian states would strongly dominate post-Fall North America.

South America would be split between a strong Brazilian empire and various statelets and tribes. The Mapuche would probably have a strong presence in the South, perhaps providing a counterweight to Brazil.

The OE would probably collapse as Stirling suggested, but instead of transforming into an Arab caliphate, it would probably just produce many smaller Turkish and Arab states.

In Africa, I think a second Great Trek would occur, and the Afrikaners move north, establishing several large Boer republics over sub-Equatorial Africa. Egypt would be free of Ottoman influence, and would most likely develop a strong friendship with Britain. Egypt at this time was perfectly capable of forming a considerably strong nation.

Persia is in a nice position ITTL. They could easily grab the Southern Caucasus and Southern Central Asia from Russia, some of Iraq and Kurdistan from the collapsing OE, and fringes of India from Britain.

I haven't even started the list of things that could have happened in the PL-verse.

I still must wonder why some sort of German Southern Exodus didnt occur....
In this map it did...

Austrian Peshawar.jpg

Thande

Donor
I don't understand why the Colombia/Peru area of South America is blank (in both Stirling and euio's map). OK the coast is probably badly damaged from the tsunamis, but what about the interior? They're on the equator, they're going to be rather less affected from the global cooling than Brazil for example. And I don't remember anything about asteroid impacts in that area, either.

I don't understand why the Colombia/Peru area of South America is blank (in both Stirling and euio's map). OK the coast is probably badly damaged from the tsunamis, but what about the interior? They're on the equator, they're going to be rather less affected from the global cooling than Brazil for example. And I don't remember anything about asteroid impacts in that area, either.
It's blank on my map because I'm lazy. A while back I made a different PW map with that area set up far more realistically.