Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kind of hit a roadblock on the linguistic map for my ideal world map, so I did a revised version of my ideal Europe:
upload_2018-1-9_17-16-25.png

Major changes:
United Ireland, independent Scotland/Brittany/Basque Country/Catalonia
Germany gets most of the area that was culturally German up to the early 20th century (Alsace, Luxembourg, Silesia, Pomerania, and East Prussia); Austria, Switzerland, and Sudetenland are the big exceptions
Uber-Greece, Greater Romania, United Netherlands, and an enlarged Finland (sans the Aland Islands)

And a preview of the linguistic map:
upload_2018-1-9_17-23-41.png

fashbasher

Banned
WI: The Nynorsk/Bokmål divide in Norway (in which two written forms of Norwegian are developed, one based on educated speech with heavy influence from foreign languages and one based on the thickest and most unique local dialects) spreads globally as part of the 19th century nationalism and romanticism movement. In the US, written American English splits in two: "Book Language", based mainly off of educated Northeastern English, and Numurican, which is mainly drawn from rural Southern dialects with some influence from down-east New England. The map below shows which states officially use Book Language in their schools and legislatures and which use Numurican. About 10%-15% of American students are educated in Numurican, while about 85-90% are educated in Book Language.
0VZVmLT.png

The same divide is found in many linguistically homogeneous countries ITTL: Written English is divided into High British (derived mainly from Scots and rural Northern English) and Low English (based on the English used in Parliament and by the royal family, with an abundance of French words). Japanese has two "Nynorsk" equivalents, one based on the Kansai dialect and one on a blend of Kagoshima and the Ryukyu languages, and German develops three regional standards based respectively on Swiss dialects, Austrian dialects, and Low German.

WI: The Nynorsk/Bokmål divide in Norway (in which two written forms of Norwegian are developed, one based on educated speech with heavy influence from foreign languages and one based on the thickest and most unique local dialects) spreads globally as part of the 19th century nationalism and romanticism movement. In the US, written American English splits in two: "Book Language", based mainly off of educated Northeastern English, and Numurican, which is mainly drawn from rural Southern dialects with some influence from down-east New England.

You can't present a linguistic scenario that interesting without some samples of what these Englishes look like!

fashbasher

Banned
You can't present a linguistic scenario that interesting without some samples of what these Englishes look like!

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Book English:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. (in Bahston accent)

Numurcan:

Wes hald 'ese trufs ta'be sef-evadan, det all folk be cryated equal, that thur en dowd by thur Lawd Gawd wit certun n'alienable Rahts, en det mung em bes lyf, librty, en da pursuit of hapnes.

fashbasher

Banned
Ai thænke this ih what dæ Sœthorne Tung mait luk lik

I'm thinking of the same thing in Age of Civs, where all the creole languages (and Caribbean Spanish) undergo this phenomenon where either the thickest patois becomes the written standard (English, Spanish) or Creole-sounding words are used to replace French-derived ones:

gt1nUqB.png

French / OTL Haitian Creole / New Kreyol (using some Google Translate magic, I created moun + leta (people + state) as a New Kreyol translation for Republic)

Numurcan:

Wes hald 'ese trufs ta'be sef-evadan, det all folk be cryated equal, that thur en dowd by thur Lawd Gawd wit certun n'alienable Rahts, en det mung em bes lyf, librty, en da pursuit of hapnes.

That almost looks offensive :winkytongue:
It does remind me of the way Mark Twain wrote colloquial speech, which is appropriate.

Last edited:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Book English:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. (in Bahston accent)

Numurcan:

Is it wrong that I now want to see a daughter language of English based on redneck-talk or Southern dialects? :cool:

fashbasher

Banned
Is it wrong that I now want to see a daughter language of English based on redneck-talk or Southern dialects? :cool:

Sadly, Age of Civs frowns upon American culture (climate change, consumerism, and the military-industrial complex) and especially Southern culture. (The only Americans well respected are left-leaning and/or victims of police brutality; Michael Brown is viewed better than Ronald Reagan in the not-so-grimdark but still uber-political future). You might still see some linguistic fun in the graphics thread in coming days, work schedule permitting.

Book English:

Numurcan:

Sheddup 'bout arr accents. Fixin' to teach ya some things....

Sadly, Age of Civs frowns upon American culture (climate change, consumerism, and the military-industrial complex) and especially Southern culture. (The only Americans well respected are left-leaning and/or victims of police brutality; Michael Brown is viewed better than Ronald Reagan in the not-so-grimdark but still uber-political future). You might still see some linguistic fun in the graphics thread in coming days, work schedule permitting.

Well in that case, and present company excluded of course;

V1iy7IK.jpg

Seriously though, I look forward to your further work in that regard in THIS venue :biggrin:

WI: The Nynorsk/Bokmål divide in Norway (in which two written forms of Norwegian are developed, one based on educated speech with heavy influence from foreign languages and one based on the thickest and most unique local dialects) spreads globally as part of the 19th century nationalism and romanticism movement. In the US, written American English splits in two: "Book Language", based mainly off of educated Northeastern English, and Numurican, which is mainly drawn from rural Southern dialects with some influence from down-east New England. The map below shows which states officially use Book Language in their schools and legislatures and which use Numurican. About 10%-15% of American students are educated in Numurican, while about 85-90% are educated in Book Language.
0VZVmLT.png

The same divide is found in many linguistically homogeneous countries ITTL: Written English is divided into High British (derived mainly from Scots and rural Northern English) and Low English (based on the English used in Parliament and by the royal family, with an abundance of French words). Japanese has two "Nynorsk" equivalents, one based on the Kansai dialect and one on a blend of Kagoshima and the Ryukyu languages, and German develops three regional standards based respectively on Swiss dialects, Austrian dialects, and Low German.
I thought High English would be used by the Lords amd conservative voters in the south, while the working labour classes in the north would use Low English

Status
Not open for further replies.