Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Started a game as the Zoroastrian Abbasid vassal in 767. Normally I don't last long before the Caliph starts revoking, but I guess the province changes from the last patch puts you on a stronger footing. Four generations in I'm always on the council, have received titles, have formed the kingdom of Daylam, and am slowly eating away at his vassals in Persia. Besides maybe Egypt I'm his most powerful vassal and fought him to a white peace the one time the Caliph tried to revoke a title his father had granted me. I only wish his tributaries would revolt so I could fill out my de jure territory.

Decided to give it a try at Croatia with the new DLC on the 1066 start.

8q5eMa7.png

Got the game on Black Friday, and I just started a 769 campaign as the Eastern Roman Empire/Byzantium.

Things were going...well not very good really. I'd conquered some territory but for the most part my hands were tied by an internal revolt every other year. I managed to Antioch after the...Idon'trememberads imploded before the Abbasids could scoop it up.

But I'd used the custom ruler creator to make my own and had to put down Iconoclast revolts, peasant revolts, noble revolts, and so on for forever. Ate up a lot of time, and releasing the captured for the ransom probably wasn't the best idea. But I usually netted 6-12 every time a noble tried to rise up and could ransom them for over a hundred gold which let me pay for mercenaries which let me put down more revolts in a vicious circle. Eventually I figured this out, and instead started to release some of the less threatening if they converted to Orthodox.

by 800 things were looking up. I'd pushed the Bulgarians back over the Danube, conquered Croatia, and most of the country was steadily becoming Orthodox. Still had to put down a lot of revolts, which kept me from taking advantage of the Abbasid's implosion, and Khazaria as well. Towards the end my second ruler's reign however pagan hosts started to descend upon the land which was a whole other level of difficult to deal with.

But I managed to more or less keep the realm intact and started chipping away at the Avars who'd conquered the parts of the Balkans between me and Lombardy. They were harder to deal with as their leader had gone Catholic and I couldn't just holy war everything.

Still not bad.

But it was with my third ruler that I made a huge mistake. Her first son hadn't been born in the purple but was heir to various kingdom titles I'd created. I made him a bishop, but it was too late as he'd had a son. A son I'd stupidly put in charge of city and was planning on dealing with via blinding, but I didn't want to waste the piety/prestige since I needed all I could get to get another chunk out of Avaria.

Suddenly Most Serene Republic's everywhere!

Tried to revoke and started a massive Civil War apparently.

Now I'm dealing with that mess.

ALL UNDER HEAVEN

95zVHNa.jpg

Rus are free because they decided to play nice and submit to the throne of heaven by converting to Taoism, Danes are in some wars I declined to join, but they'll be back in the fold soon enough...

Last edited:
latinempire_by_kitfisto1997-dbvi4ze.png

The glorious Latin Empire stands tall over the corpses of the Turks and heretical Greeks! Deus Vult! :p

Oh, and Genghis Khan killed himself, so the Mongols are having a harder time than usual...

What the fuck the AI HRE just executed SEVEN Piast children, with ages ranging from 9 to newborn. I'm playing Cesare Borgia and even I find it excessive.

EDIT: Here they are:

7LvDe22.png

And here's Cesare btw:

aag2nXt.png

Last edited:
My first ever game as a Norse chief is going quite well.

opGxuMi.jpg

13 years after the King of Zealand, Sigurðr ormr í auga, was crowned King of Denmark, he added the crowns of Norway and Sweden to his domains, reforming the Germanic faith and becoming the first Fylkir. Only the North Sea islands and a few petty chiefdoms in Scandinavia remain independent from the Fylkir, who is also planning to expand in East Francia and Frisia, where other Germanic holy sites are located.

How can I spread the reformed Germanic faith without war, though? I was thinking about marrying off Sigurðr's many daughters to several pagan chiefs in the Baltic, but I'm not sure about it.

My previous game as Sigurdr went to hell for gavelkind-related reasons, but through careful planning I just did this:

0bUDQOF.jpg

As soon as the game started, I made Sigurdr divorce his wife, to prevent the birth of heirs other than Knud among which the realm could've been partitioned and, without selecting any ambition, I waged a war of conquest against the Swedish tribal realm; only then I selected the ambition to become king of Denmark, and annexed Jutland; the following war against the powerful Haraldr Fairhair was the last obstacle between Sigurdr and the direct or indirect rule over the whole of the Norse homeland: as soon as the Kingdom of Denmark was created, in 871, I made several tribal leaders swear loyalty to Sigurdr just by asking them, while the ones that were already my vassals were single-handedly responsible for plenty of conquests in northern Germany and the North Sea - only the Jarl of West Gotland, that had carved a realm for himself between Norway and Sweden, resisted the son of Ragnarr Lothbrok, something he paid for in blood.

I centralized the realm and improved the capital's infrastructure by spending on it almost all the money I had, so that when the Fylkirate was created in 885 I could transition to elective monarchy and feudalism - I didn't have enough Legalism for primogeniture. With succession secured, both Knud and Sigurdr married: Knud wed a Bohemian woman with the Genius trait that didn't pass on said trait to her children - she did however convert to the Reformed Germanic faith - while Sigurdr married an Estonian priestess he would soon enough proceed to cheat on with several women.

The Empire of Scandinavia was created in 908; at the ripe old age of 68, Sigurdr will probably die soon, having spent the last decade of his life involved in several wars.

The members of House Knytling in 908:

Fylkir Sigurdr, Emperor of Scandinavia, King of Denmark, King of Sapmi (68)

His children:

Prince Knud, Count of Vestergautland, son of Blaeja and heir to the realm (51)
Princess Skuld, Khatun of Bulanid and Shieldmaiden, daughter of Ere (19)
Princess Astrid, married to High Chief Yemelyan of Kiev and Shieldmaiden, daughter of Ere (18)
Princess Sigrid, daughter of Ulfhildr (12)
Prince Barid, son of Yngvild, a distant relative of Haraldr Fairhair (9)
Princess Yngvild, daughter of Yngvild (6)
Prince Tjudmund, son of Yngvild (1)

Knud's children:

Aslaug, married to Chief Einarr of Öland (16)
Sigurdr, bethothed to Elin, a direct descendant of Björn Ironside (14)
Hrolfr, a newborn baby (0)

As you can see, Sigurdr has a very active sex life for a 68 year old, and I forgot that you can't manage your children and grandchildren's marriages if you give land to them so Knud has made some very questionable choices that might come back to bite me in the arse later, but at least Sigurdr junior is not a younger version of Hodor like his older sister, he's just mediocre so far.

Started a game as Ubbe Ragnarrson (gave him the county of Austisland via console command) and had moderate succes in carving out a realm for myself and swore fealty to Harald Fairhair of Norway. I somehow won independence via faction and I now finally have acces to the prepare invasion CB.
20171214165236_1.jpg

Brittania has turned into little Scandinavia since there are almost no Christian rulers left. The Hvitserk and Ivaring Dynasties still hold sway over it despite gavelkind doing what it normally does.

20171214165427_1.jpg

20171214165406_1.jpg

The Af Münso's got pummeld by Norway early on but still hold on to much of their lands. Also the HRE formed under East Francia under Emperor Karlmann the great and Asturias did pretty well for itself but has since bend the knee to the Umayyads.

20171214165529_1.jpg

Started a game as Ubbe Ragnarrson (gave him the county of Austisland via console command) and had moderate succes in carving out a realm for myself and swore fealty to Harald Fairhair of Norway. I somehow won independence via faction and I now finally have acces to the prepare invasion CB.
View attachment 360265

Brittania has turned into little Scandinavia since there are almost no Christian rulers left. The Hvitserk and Ivaring Dynasties still hold sway over it despite gavelkind doing what it normally does.

View attachment 360266
View attachment 360267

The Af Münso's got pummeld by Norway early on but still hold on to much of their lands. Also the HRE formed under East Francia under Emperor Karlmann the great and Asturias did pretty well for itself but has since bend the knee to the Umayyads.

View attachment 360268

What mod is that?

By the way...

AVvOIYJ.png

I've had CK:II for ages but been intimidated by the learning curve, suggested places to start?

The best place to start is probably Ireland in the 1066 start. By this point, there are no pagan or Muslim powers who can holy war you in the vicinity and in my experience, England is very sluggish to expand across the Irish Sea. You can therefore use Ireland as a place to experiment and learn how to build up a dynasty from a county to kingdom level. After that, I'd think about Scandanavia in 1066 (there are pagans there but they are weak) or if you are feeling confident, Iberia in 1066 (under no circumstances earlier because Al-Andalus is very strong in the 8th and 9th century).

teg

The best place to start is probably Ireland in the 1066 start. By this point, there are no pagan or Muslim powers who can holy war you in the vicinity and in my experience, England is very sluggish to expand across the Irish Sea. You can therefore use Ireland as a place to experiment and learn how to build up a dynasty from a county to kingdom level. After that, I'd think about Scandanavia in 1066 (there are pagans there but they are weak) or if you are feeling confident, Iberia in 1066 (under no circumstances earlier because Al-Andalus is very strong in the 8th and 9th century).

teg

I'll get back to you when the British Isles are entirely Irish :p

Irish Isles.

Deal with it :D

What mod is that?

I'm using a combination of cosmetic mods. Revolutionary Borders/Water, Blue Duke and Interface:Century Gothic/Stellaris Colors chance for the UI. Patrum Scuta for the Coat of Arms, and CPRplus for the portraits. All are available on the Steam Workshop, Most you can get Ironman Compatible.

By the way...

Cool! Did you take the decision to go feudal yet, or are you still tribal? I find when playing as a tribal people that getting the necessary requirements can be tricky!