Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Out of context this is hilarious.
Well! Genghis Khan converted to Greek Orthodoxy so I guess problem solved unless he decides to play Legacy of Rome and mend the Schism. He still has his 100k event stack though.

Meanwhile the Cumans converted to Catholicism and the Hospitaller Order has pretty much become the Cuman Order.

823F7A0EBBDE032CF1D8EF524934DFE82D746176

There are some things in this game that are hella fun.

There are other things, such as AI-created viceroyal HRE england, that make me want to claw my eyes out with a pair of rusty pliers.

I have CK2 on my steam account but haven't played in years. I'm conscious that the map only keeps scaling up, and the game tended to get slow enough back when Persia was the end of the world.

Any advice on what kind of capacity I need to get the thing running smoothly? I'm suspicious I'd have to get a new computer.

I mean for the longest time my computer was pretty potato, 4GB RAM and like Nvidia 610 (gross), and (still) an i5 Sandy Bridge, 2nd gen (yuck) and the worst I ever dealt with was lengthy loading times. But i upped myself from 4 to 16GB (DDR3) (2x8GB) and it was zoom zoom. So, depending on the Motherboard you're running, you could improve the performance buy a (relatively speaking ) inexpensive RAM upgrade. Graphics Card for this game probably isn't the biggest worry, I have a 1050ti and it runs like butter. Great website is www.pcpartpicker.com (Canadian site but click the flag for your country) If you are going to go full hog and rebuild take a look. It's so much cheaper just buying the parts and either putting it together or if you don't feel confident paying a techie friend to help and or do it/show you how--I have no shame saying that's what I do. :)

B-29_Bomber

Banned
I mean for the longest time my computer was pretty potato, 4GB RAM and like Nvidia 610 (gross), and (still) an i5 Sandy Bridge, 2nd gen (yuck) and the worst I ever dealt with was lengthy loading times. But i upped myself from 4 to 16GB (DDR3) (2x8GB) and it was zoom zoom. So, depending on the Motherboard you're running, you could improve the performance buy a (relatively speaking ) inexpensive RAM upgrade. Graphics Card for this game probably isn't the biggest worry, I have a 1050ti and it runs like butter. Great website is www.pcpartpicker.com (Canadian site but click the flag for your country) If you are going to go full hog and rebuild take a look. It's so much cheaper just buying the parts and either putting it together or if you don't feel confident paying a techie friend to help and or do it/show you how--I have no shame saying that's what I do. :)

Actually Sandy Bridge is still reasonably capable. Coupled with Nvidia 10 Series graphics, it can still play most modern titles.

Actually Sandy Bridge is still reasonably capable. Coupled with Nvidia 10 Series graphics, it can still play most modern titles.

Yeah. it gets the Job Done as it were. Next year (hopefully) I'm doing a from the Ground Up build. If i was a man of means I'd love me a 1080ti but...ah well. The card I have suits my needs for the moment, not like im doing VR or AAA tiles at 60fps or anything too crazy. :)

B-29_Bomber

Banned
Yeah. it gets the Job Done as it were. Next year (hopefully) I'm doing a from the Ground Up build. If i was a man of means I'd love me a 1080ti but...ah well. The card I have suits my needs for the moment, not like im doing VR or AAA tiles at 60fps or anything too crazy. :)

If I were you, I'd consider a Ryzen build.

It's not too expensive and has a decent upgrade path. AMD announced 2nd gen Ryzen will use current the socket AM4. You could easily build a 4-500 USD computer that'll press all your buttons.

Before the latest DLC kicks in and breaks the ASOIAF mod I've decided to do a Frey game during the Storm of Swords start. I quickly burnt through Late Lord Frey, Stevron, and Stevron's sons and grandsons and I'm now on a non canon Damon Frey who has recently forged a claim to the Trident, the Tully's are extinct and Rickon's mad son is my liege lord and everyone hates him. The Other's are invading, Shireen's daughter Elyn is Queen on the Iron Throne, but the 'North and Trident' are independent, the Westerlands, the Vale, Dorne, AND the Reach have all successfully broken away.

So guess who's going to stab the Starks in the back and seize the Trident, then secede?

Last edited:
If I were you, I'd consider a Ryzen build.

It's not too expensive and has a decent upgrade path. AMD announced 2nd gen Ryzen will use current the socket AM4. You could easily build a 4-500 USD computer that'll press all your buttons.

I've heard good things about those. I will admit to being a bit of an Nvidia fanboy. But yeah Ryzen builds I've heard are pretty decent and good Bang for the Buck :D

So the next expansion "will cover something a lot of people have asked for". Guesses (that aren't secret bears)? I'm thinking 'not playable theocracies', but that leaves a lot of other possibilities.

B-29_Bomber

Banned
I've heard good things about those. I will admit to being a bit of an Nvidia fanboy. But yeah Ryzen builds I've heard are pretty decent and good Bang for the Buck :D

There's nothing wrong with building an AMD/Nvidia build.

I'm going to be building a Threadripper 1950X/1080 Ti SLI setup when I get the money and a Ryzen 5/1070 build for my father.

China update drops today, I'm gonna try to get the DLC and hope it doesn't completely break my ongoing Roman Empire game (I have this brilliant hermetic society run going with an empress who reincarnated into her own daughter, and I just got absolute cognatic succession so it's gonna take a while to rebuild all that from scratch).

The new DLC is so good. It's just so good. I've never had so much fun playing in the Tarim Basin.

Agreed the new China mechanics are fantastic and the new casus belli are wonderful. I'm having a blast playing as a Hindustani dynasty.

The Tang dynasty fell about twenty years into the campaign and were replaced by a Jurchen dynasty, ever since there's been an unending stream of plagues and famines in China.

Agreed the new China mechanics are fantastic and the new casus belli are wonderful. I'm having a blast playing as a Hindustani dynasty.

The Tang dynasty fell about twenty years into the campaign and were replaced by a Jurchen dynasty, ever since there's been an unending stream of plagues and famines in China.
I started as one of the vassal Uyghur khans in 769, overran western Tarim and formed the custom Kingdom of Fergana in fairly short order. Now I'm having fun interacting with China.

I started as one of the vassal Uyghur khans in 769, overran western Tarim and formed the custom Kingdom of Fergana in fairly short order. Now I'm having fun interacting with China.

I also started in 769, I've founded Rasathan and I'm letting my threat rating go down before I start invading the rest of India. My goal is to create India and then reform into a Chinese style empire and expand into Tibet, then I'll put a family member on the throne of China.

I've married my heir to a Chinese princess. Interestingly the heir to the Abbasid Caliphate is also married to a Chinese princess so in two generations my cousin will be the Caliph.