Massively Multiplayer: Gaming In The New Millennium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who won Euro 2000 and how did England do?
We Will Adress Euro 2000 in the Upcoming Updates, with otl and 2000 olympics we forgot about it...sorry, and i'm even soccer fan,xd.

So what is Gundam Soul all about? What is it's plot. What universe calendar is it set in?

That will be a suprise..just wait for it... Something will be sure, will not be throw out to the wolves like X gundam and OTL Turn A were....

Super Robot Wars Omega
Here is my contribution to your thread. As you can see, this game actually existed, but it was originally supposed to be released in the States but wasn't due to Harmony Gold's control of the Robotech IP(the game included Macross). To keep true to the element of butterfly effect I've decided to change some plot elements. I also feel this is the only SRW that might remain relatively intact series wise from what it was in OTL:

Super Robot Wars Omega is part of the Super Robot Wars franchise, and was published for the Katana by Banpresto in 2000. It is noteworthy for being the first Super Robot Wars crossover game that was localized for American localization on December of 2001, in part due to the popularity of Gundam Wing. The localization was decided, after consent with the various copyright holders of the anime involved in the crossover, as well as Harmony Gold in order to deal with how issues surrounding the Macross license will be handled with.

Plot:

In the year 295 of the New Universal Calendar, the One Year War breaks out between the Earth Federation and the Principality of Zeon, but is halted when an object crashes to Earth, landing on South Atalia Island. An investigative team from the "Extra-Over Technological Investigative Institute" discovers the object is an alien battleship with highly-advanced technology. Heeding the warnings of Dr. Bian Zoldark, the Federation secretly increases its military power, while hiding the evidence of intelligent extraterrestrial life beyond the Earth. In the meantime, Bian utilizes "Extra-Over Technology" found on the ship to devise weapons capable of protecting the Earth from alien forces, should the planet become embroiled in conflict. However, the economic troubles caused by the Federation's buildup sees the rise of many anti-Federation movements, such as the Neo Zeon, who have retreated to the asteroid Axis. In response, the Federation establishes special forces units, including the Titans and the Organization of Zodiac. The Titans and OZ's autocratic behavior however incites further anti-Federation sentiments in the colonies, leading to the formation of the Anti-Earth Union Group and the launching of Operation Meteor against the Earth Federation

Other forces, like the Dinosaur Empire and Dr. Hell begin their plans for world domination, but are pushed back by the "Super Robot" teams of Mazinger Z, Getter Robo, and Raideen.

In the year 187, the battleship Excelion engages a force of "STMCs" (Space Terrible Monster Crowd) when they are suddenly attacked by another unknown alien fleet, codenamed the "Aerogaters". From there the game allows players to select from either a super robot or a real robot storyline, putting the player in command of the Grungust Type-2 or the Huckebein MK II, respectively. The Real Robot storyline starts with the player joining the AEUG after a run-in with the Titans seeking to take control of the Huckebein, while the Super Robot storyline starts out with the player working with the Magzinger and Getter teams to fight Dr. Hell and the Dinosaur Empire.

This game is noteworthy for introducing various original characters such as the SRX team, which was created by Bian Zoldark to test out technology capable of fighting the Aerogaters. They were originally led by Ingram Prisken and consists of Ryusei Date, Raidiese F. Branstein, Aya Kobayashi. Ingram betrays the player's team halfway through the game and Ryusei takes over. If certain conditions are fufilled, it is possible to gain the SRX mech that is formed by combining Ryusei, Rai and Aya's mecha. This may also open up the possibility of convincing Ingram to return to the side of the heroes in the final battle with the Aerogaters. It is also possible for players to recruit the missing SRX pilot Mai Kobayashi, who was brainwashed by the Aerogaters into becoming the enemy pilot Levi Tolar of the Judecca mech. Recruiting of Mai would allow her to use the R-Gun mecha used by Ingram before his betrayal.

The main antagonists are the Aerogaters, who are revealed to be a strike force of the larger Ze Balmary Empire. While much of the focuses in the various story branches focus on dealing with the villains of various series, the Aerogaters themselves are woven into the story through it's alliances with some of the villain groups respective to the various mecha series involved in the crossover, these being the antagonists from Victory Gundam, Combattler V and Voltes V. They also gain control of elements of the Titan army through Zeta Gundam villain Paptimus Scirocco, whom manages to take control of the Titans by launching a coup somewhat similar to his seizure of power in Zeta Gundam late in the game[*].

This game is noted for branching paths depending on what choices the player makes through the Story. The branching paths are usually sorted out into three groups "Gundam UC", "Victory Gundam and After Colony", as well as "Super Robot". Accompanying the Gundam UC series for their story branches are the various Macross series, accomplying Victory Gundam and Gundam Wing story branch is Aura Battler Dunbine. The series is also significant for it's handling of the Neon Genesis Evangelion plot, which plays a key role in unified routes.

Through a tradition at this point in the series, the game is noted for giving players will often have the chance to prevent the death of an ally, as depicted in his or her animated series, while some games take this a step further and prevent heroic deaths freely, without extra effort on the player's part. Additionally, some enemies can be convinced (usually those who are not completely villainous, or who have good intentions) to abandon the antagonists and join the player, whether they do so in their respective series or not. When these concepts are combined, players can create a team that has no chance of existing within the original series. This plays an important part in the final stage, as players can recruit a important antagonist character to fight against the Aerogaters/Balmary Empire; said character piloting a exceptionally powerful unit. Players that focus on the Gundam Wing path branches can get Zechs as an ally for the final stage, the Universal Century Gundam route offers Haman Karn and Anaval Gato as potential allies, while the Super Robot Route offers Prince Heinel of Voltes V as the secret ally.

Series List:

Reception: The game garnered mixed to positive reviews from the critics, whom noted the open-ended stage design and a diversity of secrets allowed for much replaybility. However criticism came over the fact that the game was not dubbed, but simply subbed, and that the tactics-RPG style gameplay was not one casual gamers could get into. They also noted how hard it was to get some of the "SR Points" needed to unlock the various secrets. The game itself sold quite well, in part due to the popularity of Gundam Wing at that time, and it's relative success was responsible for further Super Robot titles being localized and maintaining the popul. The game was also praised for its handling of the Evangelion storyline, with the characters, particular Shinji Ikari, being portrayed as more likable and having more "mature" characterization in contrast to his more polarized reception and characterization in Evangelion itself.

Unsuprisingly the Gundam Wing route splits proved to be the most popular of the path branches among American Gundam fans.

Controversy: Through Super Robot Wars Omega was a successful release, it has received controversy due to how the English port handled treatment of the Macross Storyline. In order to appease Harmony Gold and secure the localization of Super Robot Wars, much of the Macross characters had their names changed to resemble those of their Robotech counterparts. Also stages involving Macross Plus in the Japanese version was omitted in the English port and the stages involving these characters were changed significantly to accommodate the omission of Macross Plus. This was rectified in the 2010 remasted edition, which restored the Macross plotline and introduced Macross Plus.

[*] Much of the changes in plot in Super Robot Wars Omega from OTL's Super Robot Wars Alpha was to to accommodate the series to US players so some plot points that play out differently in OTL Alpha play out the same way they do in the series as a way to introduce the plot of various series to the US audience. Aside from Zeta Gundam`s plot being handled closer to what it was in the anime, the plot of Gundam Wing is giving more emphasis with White Fang playing a greater role in the plot in contrast to OTL SRW Alpha, where they don't really appear, with stage 56 revolving around the heroes trying to stop White Fang, allied with Gihren's Zeon, from dropping Libra onto Earth(in OTL stage 56 was just the final confrontation against Gihren). Also the New Universal Calendar places more emphasis on AC than UC, with the date being 295(a reference to After Colony 195) rather than 179.

Last edited:
Umm pretty good daniel but at the time should be saturn snes-cd/playstation and remembered what happened here with bandai...

Harmony Gold Bin Harmony Gold would be an ironic If is game make robotech Popular again like the dvd cause... somethings just don't change....

This game will be goldmine for early Internet Imagine the awful Crossover and shipping war this one will Start( did misato filtring-seiyuu joke with Amuro are still there?

Regardless fine job daniel-san

Umm pretty good daniel but at the time should be saturn snes-cd/playstation and remembered what happened here with bandai...

Harmony Gold Bin Harmony Gold would be an ironic If is game make robotech Popular again like the dvd cause... somethings just don't change....

This game will be goldmine for early Internet Imagine the awful Crossover and shipping war this one will Start( did misato filtring-seiyuu joke with Amuro are still there?

Regardless fine job daniel-san

Thank you. My intention however is not to make Robotech popular again through. It does regain popularity, but the controversy over the omission of Macross Plus in the US version of both Alpha and Alpha Gaiden leads to a greater push leading to Macross being available in full form in the US.

You can edit it to accommodate with the timeline too through,

Also please note that much of the butterfly changes in plot is actually to accommodate many of the series to US players as I feel they had a clearer intention to release this in the US, so some plot points that play out differently in OTL Alpha play out the same way they do in the series as a way to introduce the plot of various series to the US audience. For instance, the Titans survive past the death of Paptimus Scirocco in OTL Alpha, but here Scirocco kills Jamitov and takes over the Titans in the name of the Zanscare Empire and the Aerogaters.

Titan remnants will still be showing up in Alpha Gaiden through, but led by Jamaican Daninghan after Jamitov and Bask die at Scirocco's hands in Alpha, and we see some OG Neo DC villains as part of the Titans. I'm thinking for my post on Alpha Gaiden to have G Gundam replace Gundam X and Turn A. If the plot of Gundam Soul is set in the future or some apocaplytic environment I can also use it. I will do my Alpha Gaiden post once I have information on Gundam Soul through. And you can all reccomend me any super robot seasons that probably didn't exist OTL to use for the Alpha Gaiden post.

Sorry should have been more clear as jus saturn as both Sega own bandai and snes-cd playstation is deas at this point Plus saturn is trully the otaku system by now....
About butterfly away anime... send private message to me and rysenkari and we gladly Will talk about it...

That's a lot of info to take in, I'll have to look at it later and decide where/if it fits in the timeline. As for Gundam Soul, it's got lots of fantasy elements but I didn't intend to cover it in much detail until later on, since for the moment I'm trying to focus on games. So let me check out your Robot Wars post and I'll try to get back to you on Gundam Soul, though it may not be right away.

In the meantime, does anyone have any more thoughts on The Victorian Legacy?

Yes, actually. Namely, of the two possible paths, which, if either, is considered "Official" among the fans?
For that matter, which is the Cannon ending that informs the sequels? (and I presume there will be sequels)
Also, I really liked it!
BigGrin.png

The Canon ending is the "rejection" path, where Victoria never marries James and he lives. He returns in a future game.

Summer 2000 (Part 4) - Blackheart/Valor
"You can't be an assassin if your emotions overwhelm you. You must be willing to do anything to complete your mission. The best ones even start to enjoy what they do."
-Sadira, Blackheart

Blackheart

Blackheart is a stealth/action game developed by Ubisoft for the Ultra Nintendo. Its main character is a female assassin named Sadira Blackheart (though Blackheart isn't her real last name, it's one Sadira gave herself after realizing her coldhearted nature). Sadira herself, while a coldhearted assassin who doesn't mind killing (and in fact, even enjoys some aspects of it), can be rather witty at times and even a bit playful, making cheeky comments toward defeated foes (she's not over the top cheeky like Bayonetta, it's more of a dry wit). Sadira works under the employ of various black ops government organizations to provide a "permanent" solution to dangerous people like crime bosses, terrorists, and even heads of enemy states, by killing them. In order to achieve her missions, Sadira uses a variety of tactics, both lethal and non-lethal, though she always kills her target. The game itself is divided into a series of levels, where Sadira is given various tasks to complete in furtherance of her mission. The gameplay is a sort of proto-Splinter Cell, with elements of games like Metal Gear Solid and even Bayonetta mixed in. As a stealth game, completing missions without being noticed is important, though the game uses a sort of "carrot" rather than "stick" approach to stealth: rather than punishing players for failing to maintain stealth, they are rewarded for being sneaky through damage bonuses, special moves, and even bonus scenes/lines for completing tasks in a stealthy way. Sadira prefers to attack with ranged weapons such as sniper rifles and tranquilizer guns, but isn't afraid to get up close and personal, and has a variety of melee moves to dispatch enemies with (the melee combat aspect of the game is highly praised, even though a skilled player won't need to use melee often). Though she must kill her targets, she can choose to spare the lives of others such as guards and others who interfere with her mission. There's not a lot of open-world type roaming in the game, levels are relatively compact, though there are opportunities to go somewhat off the beaten path and take alternate routes to your goals. The game's voice cast is made up of mostly unknowns, including the main character Sadira: Ubisoft put a lot of money into the game's graphics, and decided to skimp on voice acting. Despite this, the voice acting itself is decently received, with particular praise going to Sadira's voice actress.

The plot of the game is that Sadira has been hired by a very reluctant Interpol to assassinate a criminal overlord named Federov who has gotten his hands on nuclear material and is attempting to find a buyer. Sadira must first track Federov down by hunting down his contacts and associates, killing those who are too dangerous and intimidating others for information. Along the way, Sadira crosses paths multiple times with a woman codenamed Messiah, an ex-special agent gone rogue, who is now Federov's primary bodyguard. Sadira goes all over the world in her hunt for Federov, clashing with Messiah and dodging numerous assassination attempts on her own life as she uncovers more of Federov's evil deeds. Ultimately, Sadira discovers that Federov is trying to sell the material to a man known as the Vindicator, who is attempting to start World War III by bombing numerous cities around the world. Sadira also learns that Messiah is a double-agent who was trying to prevent Federov from selling the nuclear material to a rogue nation, and only serving as his "bodyguard" to keep an eye on his activities. However, Messiah was also given a second mission by her handlers, which is to kill Sadira. Eventually, Sadira kills Federov, tracks down the Vindicator, and has one more battle with Messiah (which she wins, but instead of killing Messiah, she spares her and leaves her in a rather humiliating position). Sadira then kills the Vindicator, preventing nuclear armageddon. She's completed her mission, but as she returns home, we see that Messiah has escaped and is now harboring an extremely deadly grudge against Sadira, setting up a plot thread for the sequel.

Released on August 7, 2000, Blackheart had received a lot of hype prior to its release, with favorable previews in magazines and on the internet. It won several awards at E3, and with the hype mounting, Ubisoft gave the game a substantial promotional push leading up to its release. The game itself didn't disappoint: it won high praise for its gameplay, characters, and storyline, making it one of the best reviewed titles of the year. The excellent reviews and strong promotion drove plenty of sales for the game, and it became one of the Ultra Nintendo's biggest hits of the summer and the beginning of a major franchise for Ubisoft.

-

"I enlisted because there were people somewhere in the world who needed my help. Even if I'm the only one fighting, I've gotta help whoever I can."
-Kenneth Perch, Valor

Valor

Naughty Dog's second major Ultra Nintendo game of summer 2000, and its first really serious (and M-rated) game, Valor is a war game in the vein of such games as Battlefield and Medal of Honor, though it differs from those games in that it features a third-person perspective and a great deal of exploration (in the vein of Naughty Dog's epic games from OTL like Uncharted and The Last Of Us). It takes place during World War II, in the days immediately following the D-Day invasion. Kenneth "Ken" Perch is a paratrooper who finds himself separated from his unit, and ends up having to liberate a small French village from a brutal SS commandant. The game takes inspiration from Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan, and Naughty Dog put a great deal of time and effort into producing a serious but entertaining World War II game. The combat interface is somewhat similar to OTL's Uncharted titles, in that Ken can take cover, shoot at enemies from distance (using the right control stick for aiming), or sneak up on them for melee attacks. He can even use grenades to take out groups of enemies from afar.

Over the course of the game, Ken undertakes various missions to defend the village from the Nazi soldiers. He spies on their encampments, he lures them out of the village, he sets booby traps for them, he rescues villagers who are being punished by the occupiers, etc. He ultimately becomes a one-man army, though it's clear that Ken is just biding time for the rest of his unit to arrive, and a major plot point of the game is Ken looking for his unit so that he'll have backup to help him take out the Nazis.

The game makes a point of developing Ken's relationships with numerous villagers. It gives him a love interest in a young French widow named Marguerite, whose husband was killed during the initial Nazi invasion in 1940. Ken also befriends a kindly old couple over the course of the game, and also befriends a young boy who reminds him of his younger brother back home. These relationships give Ken a reason to defend the village for more than just an "it's war and I have to kill Nazis" justification, he comes to care about these people like a second family, and whenever any of them is killed (and several of the villagers do die over the course of the story, including the young boy and the old couple), the player truly feels Ken's pain.

Ultimately, Ken's deeds earn him notoriety within the Nazi ranks, and the SS commandant finally sends a crack team of elite troops after Ken, pinning him down with a wounded Marguerite in an old ruin. When all seems lost, the remainder of Ken's unit comes to his rescue, and the final level of the game is an epic battle between Ken's squad and the elite Nazi troops, with Ken and the commandant having a final showdown in an underground bunker. Ken and his squad liberate the village, and Marguerite recovers from her wounds. She begs Ken to stay with her, but he tells her that he's needed with his squad, and that he'll come back once Germany is defeated and France is free. He reunites with Marguerite in the streets of Paris on V-E Day, and asks her to marry him, which she accepts.

Valor is released on August 21, 2000. Its excellent graphics and gameplay and its compelling (and at times heartrending) story earn it excellent reviews that surpass even those for Tales Of The Seven Seas: The Victorian Legacy. It becomes one of the company's biggest hits to date, ultimately selling more than four million total copies to become one of 2000's biggest hits and setting a new standard for war-based video games, surpassing even the praise and sales received by Medal of Honor.

-

This Naughty Dog Can Bark

With two of the summer's biggest games under its belt, Naughty Dog is a rising power in the video game industry. Tales Of The Seven Seas: The Victorian Legacy and Valor have already sold a million copies between them, and with excellent reviews for both, they should remain top-selling games for the rest of the year.

But what lies in Naughty Dog's future? Right now, development is in progress on Dog Dash 4, the latest game in the company's hit platformer franchise that's moved more than five million units worldwide. Dog Dash 4 is set for release next spring, and it's going to introduce a new character to Clark and Woofle's world: Jonjo, a mysterious magician who meets the heroes as they journey to a huge tropical island. It's unclear whether Jonjo is friend or foe, and Naughty Dog is keeping tight-lipped on the game, though they've shown off plenty of screenshots detailing the amazing new graphics of the game's tropical locale. Another big project on the way for the company is a platformer title known as Goblins, taking place in a massive underground world. The company is being even more secretive about this game, but promises to reveal more about it by the end of this year.

Then there's Team ND Racing, a kart-racing title in the vein of the famous Mario Kart games. Featuring characters from Dog Dash, Tales Of The Seven Seas, and Crash Bandicoot, it sends them zipping along a variety of fun and zany tracks, giving them weapons to blast one another off the road. So far, 16 playable characters have been revealed, and Naughty Dog is teasing more than 20 available for the finished game. Speaking of Crash Bandicoot, though Naughty Dog has no current plans to make more console games for this current franchise, a port of the original Ultra Nintendo title will be released next year for the Game Boy Nova, with more handheld titles promised if the game sells well. There's also a Tales Of The Seven Seas port in the works for the Nova, and possibly a Team ND Racing port down the road.

When asked if Naughty Dog, which works closely with Sony but is not owned by the company, has plans to release any games for the upcoming Sega Katana system, Andy Gavin stated: "We are proud of our association with Sony and with Nintendo, whose quality game consoles have been the perfect platform for our games to flourish. We have no plans to make any games for Sega's systems at this time." For now, Naughty Dog's games remain exclusive to the Ultra Nintendo, and will be a valuable arrow in Nintendo's quiver once the new generation Sega system is released.

-from an article posted on Gamespot.com on September 16, 2000

Valor sounds pretty awesome. I love the idea of seeing Naughty Dog's Uncharted/The Last of Us style gameplay being applied to a World War II setting. Better add that one to my list of TTL Games that I wish I could play OTL.

I've changed the title of SRW Alpha to Omega to accomodate an upcoming Square Enix title for the Katana
Not Square Enix, just Enix.

Yeah and Better Move the game for the Katana as early life game would greatly improve the chance of sucess both side of Pacific, so the game would look like OTL Dreamcast Version, maybe even better at times?(closer to late PS2 games?) that will help a lot the game being a minor hit, anyways amazing input for the timeline from your part, if you want can focus in the SRW Series, mostly sega exclusive as they own banpresto now.

I take it that, given some of the similarities and the game being seemingly open world, that Valor is TTL's much earlier equivalent of pandemic's The Saboteur(minus the noir backdrop of the latter of course)?

Summer 2000 (Part 5) - Super Mario RPG 2
"When Fujioka-san asked if he could explore Mario and Luigi's backstory for this game, it gave me pause, as it was something I'd not thought of very much before. We sat down and discussed it together for a very long time. I went back and reviewed every game, everything that Mario had appeared in to come up with a suitable origin story for the Mario Brothers. We had some disagreements, but in the end what you see in this game is what I feel is an appropriate story for the beginning of these heroes' great saga."
-Shigeru Miyamoto in the May 2000 issue of Famitsu, one of the final interviews he gave

Super Mario RPG 2: A Plumble Beginning is the direct sequel to 1996's SNES-CD game Super Mario RPG: Legend Of The Seven Stars. Developed jointly by Nintendo and Square, it shares many similarities with the original game, including its turn-based RPG battle system and its three-dimensional art style, though the Ultra Nintendo's graphics make the game look significantly better than the original. It also shares a few similarities with OTL's Paper Mario, mostly in stylistic choices such as the battle menu, which gives the player significantly more options than the original title did, including combination attacks and ultimates. Counter attacks return from the original. The game also includes badges, which are similar to the accessories featured in the original Super Mario RPG, but more than one can be equipped. In fact, the game uses the Badge Point system from OTL's Paper Mario, so stronger badges come with higher costs, while lesser badges come with a lower cost. The game features jumping sequences and puzzles similar to the original Super Mario RPG. The game is mostly designed by Squaresoft, with much of the original team, including composer Yoko Shimamura, returning for the new game, giving the game a distinctly different musical sound than OTL's Paper Mario. The game features limited voice acting in the form of narration and in-battle sounds, but is largely a non-voiced game. There are seven total playable characters, each of whom occupies a different role in battle. Three of them can be in the party at the same time. Characters can level up to 99, unlike in the original game, where they could only level up to 30, and the player can choose a stat to give a bonus to after each level up.

The seven playable characters are as follows, with three returning from the original game and four newcomers:

Mario: The heroic plumber is back and largely has the same moves as the original game, with the ability to jump and use Fire Flowers, though now, Ice Flowers are added to his repertoire. He's a jack-of-all-trades for the most part, similar to the original game, with good physical attack and decent magic.

Luigi: Mario's brother makes his RPG debut. Though he has similar skills to his brother, he lacks Fire Flowers and Ice Flowers, and instead has more melee attacks, making him more physical than his brother.

Geno: Geno returns from the original Super Mario RPG. In this game, he's a time traveler, who travels back in time to protect the Mario brothers on their first adventure, operating in a kind of "sage" role to them. He still has his familiar Star Gun and rocket punch fists, and now specializes in positive buffs for the rest of the party.

Lana: Lana is a plucky human thief who lives in the Great Kalamari Desert. She joins Mario fairly reluctantly, but her speed and thieving skills make her a valuable asset. Her main ability is thievery, she can pilfer some of the best items in the game off of enemies.

Petey: Petey is a young Piranha Plant who decides to join up with Mario and friends after Kamek enslaves his family. He is the main physical attacker of the party, playing a similar role to Bowser in the original game.

Toad: Toad joins the party this time around. He specializes in healing the party, but can also hit the enemy with debuffs and status effects, and he's fairly durable for a healer.

Wizzler: Wizzler is a Wiggler who knows powerful offensive magic. He joins up with Mario's group in the forest, and he's trying to do good deeds so that he can become a beautiful butterfly.

The game begins with a quick cutscene revealing for the first time the origins of the Mario Brothers, though it's only part of the story, with the rest revealed later on in flashbacks. Mario and Luigi came from Italy, with their parents immigrating to Brooklyn when they were only a few years old. The two grew up in Brooklyn and became plumbers, and that's where the game begins, with Mario and Luigi in the sewers beneath New York City, investigating a strange disturbance in the pipes. This serves as the sort of "tutorial" level, where the player learns basic controls and moves. Eventually, after fighting a boss creature, the two are sucked into a pipe that takes them to the Mushroom Kingdom, where they are greeted as heroes and taken to Princess Peach's palace. Though the brothers are confused at first, they are assured that it is their destiny that they are here and that the kingdom is being threatened by the evil wizard Kamek and his army. The brothers are introduced to Peach for the first time, and Mario seems to be smitten, though he bravely accepts the task he is given, which is to liberate a nearby village of Toads from a bullying monster. The monster turns out to be a jumbo Hammer Bro., and one of the Toads that Mario and Luigi rescue join them for the boss battle. After another quest, the castle comes under attack, and Princess Peach is abducted by Kamek. The Mario brothers and Toad follow Kamek's army across the desert, but they pass out. Mario wakes up by himself in a mysterious town, where he is accosted by a thief named Lana who steals all of Mario's items and money. Mario pursues the thief, catching up to her, and the two eventually join forces. Meanwhile, Luigi ends up by himself as well, but after a bit of exploration, meets up with Geno, who claims to be from the future and that Mario and Luigi are known as great heroes in his time. The two pairs eventually reunite in the massive Pyramid dungeon, which requires the player to switch back and forth between the two parties to clear each other's paths, before Lana is captured by the dungeon's boss and Mario and Luigi reunite to take down the boss with Geno's help. For the first time, the player has a party of more than three and has to choose who to leave out (though like in the original game, party members who don't fight still earn experience).

The quest continues, with the party visiting more strange places, fighting more enemies, and learning more about Kamek's evil plans (this is where the party learns about Bowser for the first time and that Kamek kidnapped Peach to give Bowser a bride). The party reunites with Toad, then Wizzler and finally Petey join the party, Petey joins about halfway through the game, completing the party. Around this time, the group discovers another large dungeon where they must split into two parties, a massive tower where Kamek and Bowser are holding Peach. There's a climactic showdown with Bowser, and Peach is rescued, but Kamek is determined to win, and he tries to finish off Mario and Luigi once and for all. Geno seemingly sacrifices himself to save the two of them, and everyone is returned to Peach's Castle. Though Peach is saved, she does not yet wish for Mario and Luigi to leave, and asks them to journey to the Star Road Library to find a book that she thinks might explain why they arrived in the Mushroom Kingdom. Lana also leaves the party at this time, as does Petey, leaving Mario, Luigi, Toad, and Wizzler to explore the library together. The library itself is another large dungeon, and at the end, they find the book they're looking for. The book explains that Mario and Luigi, along with Peach and Bowser, are Star Children, created by the wishes of the people of the Mushroom Kingdom. This explains why Mario and Luigi can jump so high, among other unique things about them. They were born from starlight in the Mushroom Kingdom and delivered by stork to their parents. But Kamek, whose evil wish brought Bowser into existence, saw the stars fall and identified the brothers as a threat to his future rule. He attacked and stole Luigi away, and the only thing that stopped him from taking both brothers was the timely arrival of a band of heroic Yoshis (the events of Yoshi's Island). The Mushroom Kingdom's great wizard Toadmerlin knew that as long as the brothers remained in the Mushroom Kingdom, their lives would be at risk. He created a portal to Earth and sent Mario's family through it. They landed in Italy, but after a few years there, Kamek discovered them there as well, forcing them to move to Brooklyn, a large city where they could hide. But Kamek eventually discovered them there too, sending evil magic and monsters into the world to flush the brothers out.

Now knowing their origins, Mario and Luigi realize that they were born to protect the Mushroom Kingdom from evil, and decide to find Kamek and defeat him once and for all. They return to Petey's jungle to help him liberate his family from their captors, then after that is done (and Petey rejoins the group), they return to the Mushroom Kingdom, only to find Peach missing again and Lana seated in the throne. Lana assures them that she had nothing to do with Peach's latest appearance, and in fact arrived just in time to spot Bowser kidnapping Peach once again. Lana says that Kamek is demanding that three Mystic Treasures be found in exchange for Peach, setting in motion the next set of events of the game. Lana says that she's never been able to find the treasures, which have been scattered all over the planet, but with the team's help, she can track them down. The party hunts down the treasures, facing increasingly difficult perils each time. They then go to Bowser's Castle for the exchange, but when they reach Kamek and Bowser, they find out that of course, the two of them are lying and have no intention of giving up Peach. The two set a trap and the party is nearly killed, but Geno returns and saves everyone just in time, including Peach. They return to Peach's Castle, but even though everyone is safe, there's a problem: Kamek and Bowser have the Mystic Treasures. They have taken them to a place known as Dark Star Road, where they intend to use them to open a portal back up to Earth, where they intend to rule in a world without Star Children. Dark Star Road is the final true "dungeon" of the game, but after beating Kamek and Bowser in successive boss fights, Mario and friends are unable to stop the portal from being opened anyway, and Bowser is sent through it into Brooklyn, where Kamek transforms him into a massive, skyscraper-sized monster. Bowser threatens to destroy the city, kicking off a huge final boss fight between Mario's party and the gigantic Bowser. Bowser is taken down and forced back through the portal, which is about to be sealed off forever. Mario and Luigi have a decision to make: stay in Brooklyn and continue their peaceful lives as plumbers, or return to the Mushroom Kingdom to live out their days as its protectors. Of course, they choose to go to the Mushroom Kingdom, saying goodbye to home forever, but hello to a fresh start as the famous Mario Bros., heroes of the Mushroom Kingdom. Lana returns to her desert kingdom as a heroine (and with a lot of pilfered treasure to her name), while Wizzler turns into a butterfly in front of everyone, and Petey and his family resume their normal lives in the jungle. The post-credits ending reveals that many of the other Mario characters we love so much, like Daisy, Wario, and Waluigi, are Star Children as well, and that Mario and Luigi are destined to meet them in their future adventures. Geno closes a book and returns to his own time to resume his own duties as the Protector of Wishes, and the game ends.

Released on September 4, 2000 in North America (after an early June 2000 release in Japan, and before a November 2000 release in Europe), Super Mario RPG 2 is a critical and commercial success, though it's not nearly as big of a success as other Squaresoft RPGs like Final Fantasy VII or Final Fantasy VIII. It sells slightly more copies overall than Legend Of Mana. Reviews praise the game for its expanded battle system and large world to explore, along with giving the Mario Bros. a compelling origin story (though fan reception toward the origin story is a lot more mixed, especially the aspects of the story that incorporate Brooklyn, which previously appeared only in Western TV adaptations).

-

Lyssa Fielding: Super Mario RPG 2 is really fun. It's more of the same, which is a good thing if, like I did, you loved the original.

Alex Stansfield: Maybe too much of a good thing? I loved the colorful graphics and the soundtrack was great, but as RPG battle systems go, this game's was a bit boring, even with timed hits, battles got repetitive and compared to last year's awesome Final Fantasy VIII or all the modern action RPGs we have now, this one came away a bit dated.

Lyssa: I thought it was just fine. And you have to admit that the battle menu is really creative!

Alex: The battle menu looks great, the game is really polished, but I just felt that something's missing.

Lyssa: Well, it could have used another girl. Princess Peach spent most of her time captured, remember the last game where she actually got to fight? Here her role is taken by Toad.

Alex: And the one playable girl we did get, Lana, was pretty useless overall. You CAN use her to swipe some good stuff from bosses, but she does pretty lousy damage even if she does get to strike first. Overall, Super Mario RPG 2 IS a good game, don't get me wrong, and if you liked the first one, this one's right up your alley. Just don't expect any major improvements. I'm giving it a 4 out of 5.

Lyssa: And I'm giving it a 4.5. Without spoiling too much, I'll say that the final boss fight might just be my favorite of the year.

Alex: Oh yeah, definitely the biggest improvement over the original.

-from the September 5, 2000 episode of GameTV

With Mario's backstory rewritten for this TL, will Yoshi still get his own game abeit with a different plot?

With Mario's backstory rewritten for this TL, will Yoshi still get his own game abeit with a different plot?

Well, the Yoshi's Island events still happened. Mario and Luigi were born from a star wish and delivered by a stork, when Kamek intervened and kidnapped Luigi, setting the events of Yoshi's Island in motion. After the Mario brothers were safely returned to their parents, Toadmerlin decided to send the family to our world for safety.

Hopefully the next Mario RPGs will have more original villains besides Bowser and some of the witty humor the Mario and Luigi series is known for. At the same time, this better not lead to story heavy Mario platformers.

Status
Not open for further replies.