Wrapped in Flames: The Great American War and Beyond

Chapter 11: Are We Prepared?
Chapter 11: Are We Prepared?

The White House, Washington, the District of Columbia, February 1862

“I still raise my earlier objections to the evacuations of our coastal enclaves.” Stanton said angrily as the subject of the reorganization of the Army came up yet again. Seward took a deep puff from his cigar as the ever angry looking Secretary of War scowled around the table. His nickname of Mars was almost too on the nose in Seward’s opinion. Welles wearily raised the old counter point.

“May I remind you Edwin that as the president pointed out to me earlier in the month, we simply could not have maintained those large forces off the Carolina coasts if the Royal Navy were to make a sudden descent upon our shores?”

“In turn this frees up thousands of rebels who can be concentrated here against the capital with nothing to hem them in!” Stanton said angrily. “McClellan already complains of having too few troops, and I’m almost inclined to agree with him! Even ten-thousand new troops put ashore here in Washington can only give us parity with the same number which the rebels could push north! And now we find ourselves having to put more men forward to the coasts and the border with British North America! I tell you we need every advantage to keep the rebels off balance, and this is not providing it.”

“I believe we have been over this ground well enough for one day.” Lincoln said quietly seeking to defuse the coming quarrel with two equally opinionated members of his cabinet. “I’m afraid that for now the decision stands and I will not be moved by it.”

Stanton clearly seemed to want to further object but he swallowed the issue for now, instead he moved on to the next subject he was intent to speak on. “Thus far with the men withdrawn from Virginia and the Carolinas we have added three further divisions to McClellan’s forces on the Potomac, but those would not be enough to replace the men who would be moved in case of a sudden outbreak of war.”

“How many men are you assuming would need to be shifted?” Lincoln asked, relieved to be moving on to a more productive topic.

“My discussions with the Defence Board lead me to believe that at minimum we would have to move six divisions to the border with British North America, while a further five would need to be moved to cover the most likely places of assault a British army could conceivably land.” Stanton stood and smoothed out a map of little quality pinned to the wall of Lincoln’s office. He frowned at it as though the piece of paper itself were disappointing him. Seward imagined it did in some ways. Good maps of any area were hard to come by, and they didn’t even possess detailed maps of the South, let alone those of Britain’s possessions to the North. The current one was a railroad map from 1860 showing the important railroads and cities, but nothing in the way of terrain. Stanton went on, still scowling though.

“Just as a holding measure on the border Burnside’s Division at Albany is sufficient to counter any thrust the British might offer in the next two months, but to push back a more significant force, or to even launch an offensive operation of our own would require five further divisions to both tie down the British along the frontier, and to provide a force significant enough to put points like Kingston and Montreal under siege. And those gentlemen are the two most important points besides Quebec which we must capture.”

“Where will the men come from to invade the western portion of Canada?” The Secretary of the Interior asked.

“The men will have to be detached from the armies fighting out on the Mississippi and in Tennessee, not that they have done much to be praised for in the past few months.” Stanton’s mouth grimaced sourly and Seward noticed Lincoln frowned slightly as well. They’d been attempting to push the commanders out west for some sort of decisive action for months, and so far none had shown any real inclination for action.

“What about the defence of the coasts? I confess that even though the navy has grown in the last few months since our troubles began, we cannot hope to provide a vessel for every port and town at present.” Welles said.

“We will have to rely on state troops and militias for that, if we were to spare a division for every single point on the coast which was important we would have few men left to hold the line against the secesh forces gathering south of the Potomac.” Stanton replied.

“All of which will be expensive.” Seward said matter of factly. All eyes shifted to the haggard looking Chase who seemed to wilt slightly under their gaze.

“It is one thing to talk of raising new men for the field; it is another thing entirely to pay them.” Chase said somewhat sullenly. “The state of our finances at present is…well uncomfortable is not the right word and it’s certainly short of disastrous, but the banks have suspended specie payments since December. We have for the last month been unable to make payment to the contractors working with the government and have been issuing more promises than payments. The foreign banking houses won’t extend credit and we are dangerously short of hard money to hand in the treasury. Bond sales have dropped precipitously and the little word I’ve had from abroad shows few willing to finance our efforts against England.”

“It cannot be that bad-” Stanton began to say, but Chase cut him off angrily.

“While I respect your abilities in a house of law and those in managing your new office, I would respectfully request that you do not presume on the state of the nations’ affairs, sir.” Stanton clamped his mouth closed startlingly fast and Chase took in everyone around the room with a level look and a sudden new confidence. Sighing he straightened himself up in his chair. “Gentlemen the treasury at present has no specie to pay its bills, we are leaning on the banks to attempt to push new money into the markets but they are fearful of losing their own reserves. Bond sales are drying up as fears of war with Britain heighten, but not all is lost I will say.”

“I myself am no accountant Chase, I’ve known many and liked less, but I am glad to see you are not given to despair.” Lincoln said as Chase paused to take a breath. Chase shot the president a weary grin before pulling out a note from his pocket.

“In my many discussions with Senator Fessenden we have bandied about many possible solutions, mainly leaning on the banks, but in the past months we have received a new, if risky idea. An old associate, one Edmund Taylor, telegraphed me with a proposition to solve some of our money problems. He’s currently out seeking to establish an arms factory in Illinois to supply the Western war effort. His proposition is simple though, he suggests we issue some form of fiat currency, basically just to print money asking us to ‘just get Congress to pass a bill authorizing the printing of full legal tender treasury notes. Pay for goods with them and pay your soldiers with them and go ahead and win your war with them also. If you make them full legal tender they will have the full sanction of the government and be just as good as any money; as Congress is given the express right by the Constitution.’ And he is right there.”

“Would this money be redeemable in gold?” Lincoln asked curiously.

“Technically yes, but since banks have mostly voted to suspend specie payments, I have serious doubts whether we could actually authorize such a redeeming any time in the near future.”

“So what precisely would the basis of this currency be?” Seward asked furrowing his brow.

“The money would be in effect, backed purely by the power of the Federal Government; that will mean something to people.” Chase said “We don’t have an abundance of options however. We can’t lean on the banks continuously and it’s simply unprofitable to lean heavily on foreign investments, nor can we count purely on the strength of gold since the costs continue to climb. This may be our best option.”

“If you say so Chase.” Lincoln nodded. “Proceed at your discretion and if it works so much the better. Are there any other pressing issues for today?” Welles spoke up.

“Yes, I have here for the Cabinet’s convenience a report delivered by Henry du Pont, head of the Dupont Powder Company, and one of my own naval officers, Commodore John A. Dahlgren. They write regarding a grave issue facing the conduct of the war. You see gentlemen, it has been brought to my attention that the Union is facing a powder crisis.”

“Preposterous!” Stanton snapped “If that had been so I would have heard of it!”

“I’m afraid that the Army and the Ordnance Board are not aware of this problem, and it was only made clear to me in the past few weeks. I gave the men time to present their findings in full and we face quite a difficulty. At the start of the conflict with so few men in the field no one anticipated many problems, as we amply were provided for the in the Mexican War and our stocks and capabilities had expanded since then. Now though, the army expands at an unprecedented rate, growing into the hundreds of thousands. The Navy also continues to expand. Dahlgren only became aware of the matter in early November as we began equipping more ships, DuPont discovered the problem around roughly the same time when he discovered the demand for powder was eating into the stocks faster than the mills could fill them. It was with this in mind he set out for England in November the purchase of 2300 tons of nitre was negotiated. However, the British government passed a suspension on the supply of nitre to us after the when this whole crisis began. Though he attempted numerous times to organize the purchase of these stocks, he was rebuffed by the British authorities and he returned to our shores to attempt to seek a solution to the problem.”

“A question.” Lincoln said interrupting. “Why is it that you must look to England to procure such large amounts of nitre for powder?”

“As DuPont explained to me when I asked this very question: Britain rules India, which by quirk of fate is uniquely displaced for the mass consumption of nitre. The denizens of those far off kingdoms regard the cow as a sacred animal, and as such it is allowed to wander where it pleases. The manure is rich in nitre which when fermented can be made into the suitable base chemicals for the production of gunpowder. As such the continent swims with the basic raw materials, giving Britain an unprecedented advantage in its production. One which other nations can only dream of.” Welles replied with a shrug, indicating he could only take the powder magnate at his word.

“How much nitre do we have, roughly, on hand?” Lincoln asked with some concern. Welles consulted the report.

“Based on the rough estimation of the amount imported pre-December, and the stocks in Union hands provided by these men, we have roughly some 1700 tons of power on hand, with the stock of nitre in place to make up to 3300 tons. Or roughly 7,400,000 pounds of powder within our own stocks.”

“That number doesn’t seem so bad.” Lincoln said.

“The army expends roughly 450,000 pounds of powder in a month sir.” Usher said speaking up. “That has been since the war began. I don’t think we have spent that much over the winter, but it seems as though when the campaigning season begins we will be expending just as much, if not more.” Stanton’s eyebrows shot up immediately and even Lincoln seemed to find a quick mental calculation sobering. Seward tallied the number up as well and thought it made for rather depressing reading.

“Despite this, DuPont has assured me there is a way to rectify these problems. It is somewhat unusual though sir.” Welles said hesitantly.

“Go on, it can’t be all that bad.” Lincoln replied.

“Well, since Britain holds a monopoly on the trade of vast quantities of nitre, most nations have adopted ways of developing their own small nitre manufacturing capabilities. The two most inexpensive and by far the most successful which have been advertised to me are the Swiss and Prussian methods. DuPont has assured me that of the two methods, the Prussian method is best tailored for the climate of the East Coast and Mid-West, which means that we could, with immediate work, establish beds for our own needs. The nitre beds are simply the collection of waste, preferably bovine or equine, into beds which are then allowed to ferment for a period of time. We would merely need to set aside land for the collection of said materials and men to process them.”

“Manure farming.” Lincoln said simply.

“Er yes sir.” Welles said somewhat sheepishly.

“Well that’s a job fit for a congressman if ever I have heard one.” Lincoln quipped. The Cabinet laughed good naturedly. Lincoln grinned and spoke up as the laughter subsided. “Well we must make the necessary preparations, it as I have said, I fear war is coming and I do not mean to be caught unawares. Draw up whatever plans you need and I’ll sign off on them.”

Welles and Usher exchanged looks and nodded in silent communication. Stanton seemed intent on grumbling about being uniformed and simply nodded as well.

“Our response must have arrived in London by now.” Seward said absently. There were murmurs from the other members of the cabinet and Seward was sure that they were all reflecting on the fact that the British minister had departed many weeks previously.

“The British will do what they will do, and as shall we.” Stanton said stoically.

“Well friend Mars, that reminds me of a story.” Lincoln said into the silence. “It was right after the Revolution, right after peace had been concluded. And Ethan Allen went to London to help our new country conduct its business with the king. The English sneered at how rough we are and rude and simple-minded and on like that, everywhere he went. ‘Til one day he was invited to the townhouse of a great English lord. Dinner was served, beverages imbibed, time passed as happens and Mr. Allen found he needed the privy. He was grateful to be directed thence. Relieved, you might say.” There were chuckles at the comment. “Allen discovered on entering the water closet that the only decoration therein was a portrait of George Washington. Ethan Allen done what he came to do and returned to the drawing room. His host and the others were disappointed when he didn't mention Washington's portrait. And finally his lordship couldn't resist and asked Mr. Allen had he noticed it - the picture of Washington - he had. Well what did he think of its placement? Did it seem appropriately located to Mr. Allen? And Mr. Allen said it did. The host was astounded.”

“‘Appropriate? George Washington's likeness in a water closet?’” Lincoln said in a mocking British accent,"‘Yes,’ said Mr. Allen, ‘where it will do good service. The whole world knows nothing will make an Englishman shit quicker than the sight of George Washington.’" There were peals of laughter from the assembled men and the tension bled out from the room almost immediately. Laughing riotously Lincoln wiped a tear form his eye as the laughter subsided.

“Oh I love that story. But gentlemen, we have a long and arduous road ahead of us. Let there be no doubt about that. Enemies foreign and domestic assail our Republic, but the spirit of liberty shall prevail as it has before. We humbled the British in the Revolution, and we humbled them again in 1812, we shall do so now if they come, we must do so. The very essence… no the very spirit, of our republican ideals demands it. Though we may fight them on the seas and in the fields we shall not be humbled until the nation has spent every last drop of blood and every pound of treasure it must, but we shall save our Republic.”

Whitehall, London, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, February 1862

The day was appropriately overcast, damp, and cold for London in February. The light fog served to hide the remainder of the long plaza of government buildings nestled in the heart of the capital of the British Empire. Built on the site of the old residence of the monarchs, it was now the beating heart of the administrative offices of the largest empire on earth housing the Admiralty and the Horse Guards alongside it. In the imposing hallways and boardrooms of Downing Street the offices were kept warm by coal furnaces and grand old fireplaces, and in a particular board room, the most powerful men in the Empire sat in conference.

Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, sat at the head of the conference table, presiding over what was slowly becoming known as the War Cabinet for its composition of the men largely in office overseeing the maintenance of the fighting capabilities. There was Granville Leveson-Gower, 2nd Earl Granville, Lord President of the Council, Edward Seymour, 12th Duke of Somerset, First Lord of the Admiralty, Sir George Cornewall Lewis, Secretary of State for War, Henry Pelham-Clinton, 5th Duke of Newcastle, Secretary of State for the Colonies, and finally His Royal Highness Prince George, the Duke of Cambridge, Commander-in-Chief of the forces.

Few had gotten any real rest in the last number of days, and so far were in the same state of frantic activity which seemed to have gripped all of Britain since late November when the crisis had broken. Palmerston had even taken to sitting to do his work where normally he preferred to stand, and despite a chipper attitude he could see the strain of the last number of weeks frantic preparation etched into the faces of even his far younger colleagues. Orders and reports appeared hourly flowing in and out of the buildings that made up the government. Palmerston sincerely wished he could pry his eyes away from yet another request from some junior clerk in whatever office needed his permission for a few hours with a weekend approaching, but the honor of the nation came first. He shifted in his chair returning to the task at hand.

“And thus far,” Lewis continued on in his update on the despatch of forces from Britain to North America. “There have been thirty-three battalions of infantry dispatched or readied for dispatch to North America from the Home establishments and garrisons, seven regiments of cavalry and two batteries of Horse Artillery, and twelve batteries of artillery accompanying them. This does not include the staff and military train or engineers. Unfortunately, due to the severity of the storms on the Atlantic, two vessels, the Victoria and the Admiral Kannaris, have been forced to turn back after departing which has caused the delay in the dispatch of the 78th Regiment of Foot and the Coldstream Guards alongside a company of engineers and several hundred tons of munitions.”

“This is a poor season for shipping in the best of times; delays are only to be expected.” Somerset said.

“And perhaps,” Palmerston added mildly “we might have avoided some delays earlier had the concerns of many of the men here been addressed in fashion which would no doubt have greatly alleviated the present state of affairs.” Though he addressed no one in particular Somerset shifted uncomfortably in his seat, there was little doubt of who he could be offering the remark to. Lewis coughed slightly and continued.

“While the forces in North America are presently below the minimum we believe necessary to defend against any sudden descent by the Northern forces we do believe that those in place are currently sufficient to hold off all but the most determined assaults from across the border. With the numbers of men being prepared for duty it seems that once the campaigning season opens in spring we will be able to counter a thrust by the Americans towards Montreal or Quebec.”

“I believe it can be safely presumed now that the American forces are not able to mount any sort of decisive assault over the frontier until the campaigning season opens up in May.” The Duke of Cambridge said.

“This is agreed upon by our military planners Your Highness?” Palmerston asked. Cambridge nodded.

“Quite emphatically! All the horrors of Moscow would be repeated should the North be so foolish as to plan an assault on any of our possessions in British North America at any time in the winter months. General Winter will be no more forgiving an army encamped outside Montreal than he was the one Napoleon brought to bear on Moscow!”

“Though what is the state of our forces in the colonies should this perhaps unthinkable event happen?” Palmerston asked. Lewis pulled a file from the pile of papers in front of him on the table and began reading.

“As of Williams latest dispatch, some two weeks old I’m afraid, there were fourteen battalions of foot present in the Province of Canada, that does not include the Royal Canadian Rifles of course, and in the Maritime colonies there were seven other battalions present as well. Of course this does not include any of the other troops dispatched in the last few weeks who may or may not have made it to the North American stations yet. He also wrote that he had six field batteries available to him, and the one regiment of cavalry. No accurate numbers have yet been made available to me of our whole force currently on station.”

“This is all well and good, but what news of the Colonials has there been? I’ve had multiple assurances from Monck myself but all the military minds put to the task have agreed that the defence of the Province of Canada should be impossible without the firm support of the people there.” Cambridge said putting on an authoritative air.

“I’m afraid Your Highness that other than similar dispatches received from Monck about preparations and meetings we have not had any solid information on the disposition of the militia forces available to us in North America. The only new report across my own desk has been the muster of some six-thousand volunteers in Nova Scotia in January.”

There was some grumbling around the table about the lack of information available and Palmerston could not help but share the chagrin of the others. Unlike the late war with Russia where information could be couriered from the seat of war to ports on the continent where British consuls could cable the news to Britain in a few days news crossing the Atlantic was painfully slow. Unlike the flurry of activity in November and December where urgent messages seemed to arrive weekly from merchants and courier boats, now the whole series of unfortunate events leading up to the current crisis had led to an eerie quiet across the whole diplomatic front as the British demands were debated in Washington. The waiting time for news from the Americas made everyone nervous, and it was well known that events could easily spiral out of control as they had so clearly done from October to December. The simple fact was that even at the best of times it took two weeks for a fast steamer to cross the Atlantic and deliver news or orders to the British representatives who then had to act on those orders. Even then at best it still took two weeks for confirmation of the receipt of those orders to be carried back to Britain. Even with a steady stream of news crossing the Atlantic it was a month or more before those in Britain could be certain of any events in North America. Not as terrible a delay in information as had been the case in either earlier war, but it was vexing non-the-less for the men seated around the table. Palmerston sighed irritably and shifted in his seat.

“Rather than reflecting on what we do not know for the moment, I would prefer to turn our attention to what we do know. What is the state of the preparations in the true striking force of the empire? How fares the navy?”

All eyes turned to Somerset who, with an irritating calm, picked up one of his notes and began reading.

“We have taken many steps to alleviate the concerns of this cabinet in preparing the navy for war. Since the 6th of December the men of the naval dockyards have been working double shifts to prepare us in case of war and we opened the steam reserve soon after and have been inspecting the gunboat reserve since the end of that month.”

“And what is the number of vessels made available to us by this effort?” Newcastle asked.

“Thus far from the reserve we have activated some three line of battle, five frigates, twelve corvettes and sloops and over a dozen steam gunboats for service. As well there are another three line of battle, five frigates, and seven sloops and corvettes fitting out for service in harbor as we speak here.”

“No further gunboats?” Palmerston asked with an edge of concern in his voice. Somerset nodded.

“The sheds hosting the fruits of the Great Armament put forward from the last war with Russia have been checked infrequently of late, and it has been discovered that at least thirty of the older gunboats have either rotted so as to require extensive repair, or have simply rotted out so much as to be completely unsuitable for service. We are seeing what can be salvaged and what must go to the breakers, but so far it seems that the expense of repairing many of the older boats would vastly outweigh the cost of simply building new ones.”

“A pity.” Gladstone said almost absently. He seemed to be tallying figures in his head as he listened. Palmerston for his part was merely eyeing his First Lord of the Admiralty with some appreciation, but more than mild disdain. Had the fool listened to my warnings months ago we might have known this much earlier! Now though it seems the least we can do is avoid public anger and inquiry by pointing to our preparations.

“While this is all well and good gentlemen,” Lewis said interrupting Palmerston’s thoughts “,who precisely will be manning these vessels? The Good Lord knows that we have enough seamen in the Empire to man a thousand warships should we so choose, but where are we going to find enough capable seamen for this force? I’m no admiral, but I remember well some of the earlier debacles in the Baltic from the last war.”

“I am glad you ask that.” Somerset said with a proud smile “For we have at present, some odd thirty-thousand men capable of being called into service in an emergency from the men on shore. These include the men of the recently created Royal Navy Reserve, some ten-thousand, the near ten-thousand marines on shore, some four-thousand coast guard on shore, forty-four hundred able bodied naval and marine pensioners, and several hundred riggers from the dockyards. However, were I to include the Coast Volunteers we would have a further eight-thousand men for service putting some forty-thousand men at our disposal for the manning of Her Majesties ships. It is from these reserves we have already the ships from the reserve, more men will be working up the ships as they are readied for service.”

Palmerston was about to make what he thought would sound like a congratulations when a knock on the door silenced him. A clerk entered and bowed to the assembled notables.

“My Lords.” He said straightening “I beg your pardon for the interruption, but the most recent despatch’s from North America have arrived.” He produced a case and acceded to Granville’s motion to enter and placed it on the table before leaving. The case sat there for a few moments before Palmerston reached over and opened it. With a calm he had not expected to experience in receiving this news, he read over once the letter from Lyons and placed it quietly on the table.

“I fear it is to be war after all gentlemen.” He said into the dead silence of the room.

“And how long can it last?” Granville asked into the silence. Suddenly Somerset seemed unable to contain his enthusiasm.

“This will be a great opportunity to once and for all demonstrate the superiority of British arms on the North American continent! With our navy on the waves and our armies checking their advance on land they cannot hope to overcome us!”

“Six months my lords!” Cambridge said exuberantly “In six months they shall be asking us for terms as their shores burn and their armies are broken on our bayonets!”

To Palmerston this all seemed a reasonable assumption. He had no doubt that the Northern armies could not hope to prosecute a war against both Britain and do their bloody work in subjugating the South at the same time. He knew that British valor was better than the nation of shopkeepers which resided across the sea. Their form of government was anarchy personified, without order or reason, certainly their devolvement into civil war proved that! Still though, a nagging thought tugged at his mind. Are we prepared for the storm?

Outside, a light rain began.

A nice update here, remember it from the original thread and really shows the differences in style between the cabinets. I don't know if this has been brought up before Canuck, but have you come across British attempts to recruit troops from the US during the Crimean War? It wasn't very successful but might be an incident worth looking into, if it hasn't cropped up already.

And I have a biography of Palmerston that I really need to read upon but I rather get the impression that his only problem with gunboat diplomacy was that he never got to physically fire the shots himself.

A nice update here, remember it from the original thread and really shows the differences in style between the cabinets. I don't know if this has been brought up before Canuck, but have you come across British attempts to recruit troops from the US during the Crimean War? It wasn't very successful but might be an incident worth looking into, if it hasn't cropped up already.

Thank you! I'm glad you like it! And that you don't find some of the reposts so far tedious :p

I had come across the British scheme to recruit Americans by proxy in North America, which was a surprise when I read about it! Mind you it gave me some ideas, and Joseph Howe (one of the major players in that plan) is going to play a major role in the TL later on!

And I have a biography of Palmerston that I really need to read upon but I rather get the impression that his only problem with gunboat diplomacy was that he never got to physically fire the shots himself.

From all my own readings on Palmerston that sounds about right! Cantankerous seems like an apt word to describe him. He really was a British exceptionalist in his time!

So will Britain recognize the CSA now? I imagine the news of the outbreak of war will be met with the proverbial opening of champagne bottles in Richmond.

So will Britain recognize the CSA now? I imagine the news of the outbreak of war will be met with the proverbial opening of champagne bottles in Richmond.

Well like OTL, the politics of recognition will be...complicated, to say the least. While there are certainly those who pushed for the recognition of the CSA historically (Lindsay, Roebuck, Gladstone) there were more who were ambivalent of the whole issue.

For the moment the British are intervening purely in service of British interests (national honour, upholding their neutral rights) and the needs of the CSA are completely secondary to that. The only reason they are even lifting the blockade of Southern ports is to try and smash as much of the U.S. Navy as possible. They currently expect a short war, but if it lasts longer than they think... well anything is possible!

Chapter 12: Send On Your Burial Cases
Chapter 12: Send On Your Burial Cases

“It is, from my opinion as an officer, that we are now on the verge of the greatest war which has taken place in our days.” - Garnet Wolseley to Robert Biddulph, December 1861

“Let me say, I am shocked by the readiness with which the people and government of Great Britain have commenced war… it is as though the whole civilized English world has gone mad with rage.” - Charles Sumner to John Bright, March 1862

“The American response arrived in London on the 5th of February. The reaction of the government was clear, the government of the United States had refused the terms of the ultimatum despatched to Washington and so had refused the only terms Britain was prepared to offer. The American offer of international arbitration was rejected and on the 6th of February 1862, Her Majesties Government declared that a state of war now existed between the British Empire and the United States of America.

At the American legation in London the American Minister, Charles Francis Adams, Sr. was ordered out of the country. Adams, the son and grandson of presidents and ambassadors, had inherited nothing less than the great diplomatic prowess from his esteemed forefathers; however news of the rupture saddened him greatly. However much he felt that the administration in Washington had done little to keep him abreast of the events happening at home, he was a man of duty to the Adams family name, and his nation, and would attempt to put the best face possible on his departure to the many foreign diplomats who inquired as to his nations attitude in the days leading up to closure of the legation. He wrote to Lord Russell before leaving the British capital “Though I could do naught but pray for peace and despise the thought of bloodshed between our two nations, I regret to say that if it is to be war, then my countrymen shall be glad of it. We shall not suffer such dishonor as has been heaped upon us…I may not speak for my government, but I fear they shall invite you simply; ‘send on your burial cases’.

He and the legation were allowed a swift departure from London, and many other Americans in Britain would take the opportunity over the next few weeks to relocate from these hostile shores. The legation itself would relocate to Belgium awaiting further orders from Washington and meeting with the previous diplomatic mission dispatched by Seward and led by Thurlow Weed in Brussels. Others would choose to stay in order to see what aid they might provide as events unfolded…

…In London itself opinions were all for war. Lewis for his part was grimly confident of victory writing that “we shall soon iron the smile out of their face” predicting a short war which would see Britain restore its national honor. Palmerston himself assured the Queen that “Great Britain is in a better state than at any former time to inflict a severe blow upon and to read a lesson to the United States which will not soon be forgotten.” an expectation which the Queen herself would come to share. Lord Clarendon even managed to make the whole affair sound inevitably mundane, writing that “They have been long desirous for an opportunity to quarrel with us. I believe that now that is has come sooner, it is all the better. For we are not likely to ever have a better case to go to war about, nor shall we ever be better, or they worse, prepared for war.”

With the declaration of war Britain’s first duty was to send word to each of her distant stations and colonies that hostilities had broken out between the United States and Her Majesties domains. Fast steamers were immediately chartered for this purpose and dispatched with orders and news of the declaration. The Admiralty also issued the order that all ships going to and from North America and the West Indies must now travel in convoy, a move which though proved unpopular at first due to the increased costs from slower travel times, soon became seen as a wise policy…

…In North American waters themselves the now Vice-Admiral Alexander Milne was put upon to carry out the conditional orders he had been given in December. The first action of course was to ensure all the forces at his command were aware of the outbreak of war and that he would be ready for movement as soon as possible.” The World on Fire: The Third Anlgo-American War, Ashley Grimes, 2009, Random House Publishing

“News of the British declaration of war arrived in Washington on February 19th 1862. A special envoy was landed at Baltimore from a British ship flying a flag of truce and soon a white gloved Queen’s messenger was placed on a special train and shuttled to Washington with all speed, where he solemnly delivered the official word Her Majesties Government to the administration. To Lincoln this news was hardly unexpected, and he reacted accordingly. In a statement drafted for the consumption of the nation on the 20th of February he stated: “Though this nation has been for the past ten months engaged in a contest for its very survival, we have shown hostility to none save our enemies domestic who threaten the integrity of our nation... Now we face grave injustice as new foreign enemies circle our shores seeing an opportunity to pounce upon what they believe to be easy prey. It is in my estimation that they shall soon be disabused of this notion… And so we shall fight them on the seas and in the fields, but we shall not be humbled until the nation has spent every last drop of blood and every pound of treasure in her defence, and God willing, we shall have the rewards of victory and justice.”

Lincoln and his policy makers had hardly been idle in these circumstances. War plans lain in the winter months were soon activated, and the state governments had hardly been idle with schemes of fortifications and the raising of volunteers. Only the bank panic of late December had stalled these measures, but with the passage of the Legal Tender Act on February 22nd and the authorization of 250 million dollars of United States Notes, this soon became practical and work was redoubled as men and materials were organzied from the ongoing mobilization of the North’s resources and redirected towards the defense of the nations’ coasts.

All the while men marched north to positions planned out only weeks before, and Colonel Waite stepped aside to lend command of this new northern frontier to a man deemed by the Cabinet to be of a great military mind, Major General Henry Halleck…

...While all these preparations were underway though, a great tragedy would strike far closer to the heart of the nation in the halls of power itself…” To Arms!: The Great American War, Sheldon Foote, University of Boston 1999.

-x-x-x-x-
“Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.” – Matthew Chapter 5, verse 4

“Ever since my first introduction to Mrs. Lincoln I had been engaged in continuous labor as her modiste, designing many new items for her wardrobe. The war had now been in earnest since April and news from the front was near constant, but little action had taken place in the tense months of December and January, save for the remarkable events in the Bahama Channel and off St. Thomas. The White House had been a stir of politicians and diplomats much like an ant hill overturned by a curious child, and Mrs. Lincoln was in a constant effort to reassure the public.

The first public appearance of Mrs. Lincoln that winter was at the reception on New Year's Day. This reception was shortly followed by a brilliant levee. The day after the levee I went to the White House, and while fitting a dress to Mrs. Lincoln, she said:

"Lizabeth"--she had learned to drop the E - "Lizabeth, I have an idea. These are war times, and we must be as economical as possible. You know the President is expected to give a series of state dinners every winter, and these dinners are very costly; Now I want to avoid this expense; and my idea is, that if I give three large receptions, the state dinners can be scratched from the programme. What do you think, Lizabeth?"

"I think that you are right, Mrs. Lincoln."

"I am glad to hear you say so. If I can make Mr. Lincoln take the same view of the case, I shall not fail to put the idea into practice."

Before I left her room that day, Mr. Lincoln came in. She at once stated the case to him. He pondered the question a few moments before answering.

"Mother, I am afraid your plan will not work."

"But it will work, if you will only determine that it shall work."

"It is breaking in on the regular custom," he mildly replied.

"But you forget, father, these are war times, and old customs can be done away with for the once. The idea is economical, you must admit."

"Yes, mother, but we must think of something besides economy."

"I do think of something else. Public receptions are more democratic than stupid state dinners--are more in keeping with the spirit of the institutions of our country, as you would say if called upon to make a stump speech. There are a great many strangers in the city, foreigners and others, whom we can entertain at our receptions, but whom we cannot invite to our dinners."

"I believe you are right, mother. You argue the point well. I think that we shall have to decide on the receptions."

So the day was carried. The question was decided, and arrangements were made for the first reception. It now was January, and cards were issued for February.

The weather of that sad period was changeable, and the constant comings and goings of the White House, and Mrs. Lincoln’s own hectic schedule of public appearance soon began to tell. The children, Tad and Willie had developed a bad cold, it was believed through the regular exercise of their fine ponies, but Mrs. Lincoln had as well come down with a bad cold which deepened into fever. Such was her commitment to duty that though she ordered the children to be confined to their beds she continued abreast of her social functions until she near collapsed while entreating with the Russian Ambassador the Baron de Stoeckl.

Mr. Lincoln ordered her to bed rest immediately and she obliged, but would incessantly visit to fuss over her children against her doctors orders. Throughout late February both Willie and Tad would fluctuate fiercely between good health and mortal peril. Mrs. Lincoln would worry herself constantly, and when she was too ill to rise she would entreat me to visit them on her behalf to cheer their spirits. I am not ashamed to say that it was in this difficult period that she and I became quite close in bonding over the health of the children, for she feared they would waste away and she would be left with a single child, having already endured the loss of one in the early years of her marriage.

Even Mr. Lincoln himself would call on me to inquire on the health of his wife and children when duty pulled him away from the tense deliberations of those bleak winter months. In January the British minister, Lord Lyons, had departed and soon we feared that war with Britain was imminent, the great reason for Mrs. Lincoln’s commitment to her schedule.

As the days dragged wearily by she grew weaker and more shadow-like. She could hardly rise from bed by the end of February, and so grew more dependent upon my constant visits to her children, who seemed to be improving at the same time. I fear her constant worries and agitations over the state of Willie and Tad weakened her constitution, and she struggled to regain her own strength. It was Friday the twenty-first of February I last spoke to her.

“Lizabeth,” she said to me “You must tell me how the children are doing.”

“They are doing well Mrs. Lincoln. Tad has even rises from his bed and is walking around with Willie. Their strength seems to return by the day.”

“Oh this is wonderful news! Blessed be the Lord!”

“They ask when they can visit you.”

“I cannot risk letting their strength fail, not while I am so deep in the throes of this terrible fever. Oh Lizabeth, I fear my time has come!”

“Mrs. Lincoln! You cannot say such a thing!” I was genuinely shocked to hear such dreadful words from her mouth. She was quick to assure me though.

“Perhaps not yet, but I feel my strength failing. You must look after them for me Lizabeth, you must watch the children if I am to be gone!”

I would attempt to comfort her for some time, but she grew tired and eventually I withdrew to let her sleep, and hopefully regain her strength. It was only the next morning that it was discovered she would not wake. I was summoned to the rooms by the doctors as they inquired on what state she had been in before I left her for bed.

Finally Mr. Lincoln himself appeared. I never saw a man so bowed down with grief. He came to the bed, lifted the cover from the face of his beloved wife, and gazed at it long. Great sobs choked his utterance. He buried his head in his hands, and his tall frame was convulsed with emotion. I stood at the foot of the bed, my eyes full of tears, looking at the man in silent, awe-stricken wonder. His grief unnerved him, and made him a weak, passive child. I did not dream that his rugged nature could be so moved. I shall never forget those solemn moments--genius and greatness weeping over love's idol lost. There is a grandeur as well as a simplicity about the picture that will never fade. With me it is immortal--I really believe that I shall carry it with me across the dark, mysterious river of death.

Mrs. Lincoln was laid to rest in the cemetery with solemn ceremony, and the White House was draped in mourning. Black crape everywhere met the eye…”Behind the Scenes: Or, Thirty Years a Slave and Four Years in the White House, Elizabeth Keckley, New York: G. W. Carleton & Co., Publishers, 1868[1]

“The death of Mrs. Lincoln shook Washington society. Despite rumours and gossip regarding her spending on the White House and her widely reviled sense of fashion, the passing of the First Lady was seen as a great tragedy. The whole capital was draped in black and Lincoln himself would not wear any other color for the rest of his presidency. Observers in those dreary February days described him after his wife’s funeral as “shrunken” and “bowed with grief” and it was perhaps only the survival of his children which pushed him to further efforts.

The service for Mary Lincoln was conducted in the East Room on the 26th of February 1862 at 3 p.m conducted by Phineas Gurley, minister of the New York Avenue Presbyterian Church. Gurley attempted to bring a message of consolation and hope to the room and by all accounts it served to raise Lincoln’s spirits.

In spite of this though, Lincoln would produce no official correspondence for over a week, and he would not properly return to the running of the nation’s affairs until the end of March, leaving events largely in the hands of his cabinet…” Snakes and Ladders: The Lincoln Administration and America’s Darkest Hour, Hillary Saunders, Scattershot Publishing, 2003

Mary_Todd_Lincoln_colloidon_1860-65.jpg

Mary Todd Lincoln, 1818 - 1862

-x-x-x-x-
“The news of the official outbreak of war arrived in Quebec on February 20th and Williams was quick to issue orders to his officers in the field. The first was the dispatch of orders to Doyle at Halifax, and then to the frontier at Woodstock where the 62nd Regiment of Foot was stationed in two wings headquartered at Woodstock under Lt. Col James Daubney, and at Tobique under Col. William Ingall. These wings were ordered to seize the border posts at Houlton and Fort Fairfield.

Daubney had made a discreet reconnaissance of Houlton in mid-January writing that “The Town consists of scattered houses extended over more than a mile in length & lying at the bottom of a hill. The only garrison in the place were 60 Volunteers, whom I saw marching in the Town without arms to the inspiring air of Yankee Doodle played on a solitary fife accompanied by a big drum, so that the 62nd would not have had a hard task to preform.” Indeed even planners in Washington had recognized the weakness along the frontier there, as it lacked railroad connections with the rest of the state, the European and American Railroad being unfinished past Bangor, making its reinforcement in winter a difficult proposition.

And so on the morning of the 22nd of February, two wings of the 62nd Foot marched across the frontier, each numbering some 300 men, to make the first British offensive of the war. Well supplied with ammunition, and even supported by two small gun batteries of the New Brunswick volunteers, each column made good time to their objective. Opposed only by small companies of United States Volunteers armed with an assortment of weapons from shotguns to hunting rifles the resultant “battles” of Houlton and Fort Fairfield saw little actual fighting and the grand total of casualties were one American killed and three wounded in return for a single British soldier wounded during the occupations. These small skirmishes were relatively bloodless, and served to give a false sense of ease to the British officers, and buoyed the confidence of the Canadian people. In the United States though, they provoked an outpouring of outrage and a call to arms. The war had begun in earnest.

Two days later, on the Niagara Frontier, two explosions broke the morning calm. The men of the Royal Engineers had destroyed the Suspension Bridge below Niagara Falls and the old Lewiston Bridge in order to deny their use to the enemy on Williams orders. That thunderous morning would only be eclipsed in its fury as the snow melted in the spring thaw and armies mobilized for war…” Blood and Daring: The War of 1862 and how Canada forged a Nation, Raymond Green, University of Toronto Press, 2002

-----

[1] Parts of this piece has been directly lifted from Mrs. Keckley’s memoir as a framing device and to help capture the “voice” of Mrs. Keckley, but by and large the account is fictional for my own purposes.

Last edited:

Saphroneth

Banned
Something I felt might be useful - based on a mention that the average lifetime of a weapon in the ACW was two years, I calculated that the average draw on weapons was 3.5% per month - that is, 100,000 men consume 3,500 weapons per month in replacements.
This is quite sensitive - if it's an average of 20 months instead, it's 4.2%, while an average of 30 months means 2.5%.
This might go a long way to explaining the discrepancies in our calculated weapons availability to the Union - nine months with armies of 400,000 would burn through 126,000 weapons.

Have to say I feel for Lincoln after this update. It's going to be a long war now for him without Mary there beside him. Feels like the poor sod's getting dogpiled on at this point.

Something I felt might be useful - based on a mention that the average lifetime of a weapon in the ACW was two years, I calculated that the average draw on weapons was 3.5% per month - that is, 100,000 men consume 3,500 weapons per month in replacements.
This is quite sensitive - if it's an average of 20 months instead, it's 4.2%, while an average of 30 months means 2.5%.
This might go a long way to explaining the discrepancies in our calculated weapons availability to the Union - nine months with armies of 400,000 would burn through 126,000 weapons.

Interesting statistic! It may explain our discrepancies (added with my tendencies to count up) in how the imported weapons count adds up. It's one that would be interesting to account for, but I'm not sure I could make more than a reasonable educated guess at how this would effect TTL!

Have to say I feel for Lincoln after this update.

That's what I was going for!! :extremelyhappy:

It's going to be a long war now for him without Mary there beside him. Feels like the poor sod's getting dogpiled on at this point.

Well his son William did die around this point historically, changing it to his wife isn't really a softer blow, but it does really capture the spirit of what I was hoping to portray and certain effects Lincoln dearly. I didn't kill any more immediate friends and relations...this time.

Saphroneth

Banned
Interesting statistic! It may explain our discrepancies (added with my tendencies to count up) in how the imported weapons count adds up. It's one that would be interesting to account for, but I'm not sure I could make more than a reasonable educated guess at how this would effect TTL!
Well, here's one detail I like - the total Union weapon production as of mid 1862 was not more than 15,000 rifles a month. This is enough to keep pace with replacements (absent any major battles leading to weapons being cast away by retreating troops) for an army with 430,000 rifles deployed. So - more than that and the total rifle count is shrinking, equal to that and they're not growing, and if they've got 400,000 deployed they can build up a slow surplus at about 1,000 rifles a month.

Well, here's one detail I like - the total Union weapon production as of mid 1862 was not more than 15,000 rifles a month. This is enough to keep pace with replacements (absent any major battles leading to weapons being cast away by retreating troops) for an army with 430,000 rifles deployed. So - more than that and the total rifle count is shrinking, equal to that and they're not growing, and if they've got 400,000 deployed they can build up a slow surplus at about 1,000 rifles a month.

does that take into account accelerated production as the war went on? For the 1861 Springfield alone, just that one rifle, saw 250,000 made between 1861-63 (11,000 a month average). Over one million Springfield 1861 and 1863 rifles were made. A total of 1.5 million 1853 Enfields were made as well. According to quick research mind you. All of the US rifles were made during the Civil War, while the Enfields obviously predate it by several years (in time to start the Mutiny in India)

Saph I think you a severely underestimating Union arms manufacturing capability. Texas, hardly an industrial power in 1863, by itself had this

"According to a report read in the Confederate Congress on August 18, 1863, Texas had four gun factories making 800 arms a month, two powder mills, and a percussion cap factory."
https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/dlg01

In other words, Texas, which in 1863 was an agricultural state with pretty limited manufacturing of any kind was making 800 weapons a month.
That is after actually building those factories and other assets. According to this, the Springfield Arsenal was turning out 600 rifles a day by 1863.....just that one production facility.
http://www.essentialcivilwarcurriculum.com/assets/files/pdf/ECWC TOPIC Small Arms and Ammunition Essay.pdf

The Union already has far more than this, and indeed by February 1862 has been retooling and accelerating production since Fort Sumter 10 months before. There are also the well over 100,000 Henry and Spencer magazine carbines, or the well over 200,000 other carbines made during the war (Burnside and Sharps carbines for example). This doesn't count of course the various weapons in state and federal arsenals when the war began, which did include a lot of smoothbores but also a large number of 1855 Springfields for example.

The purchase of Enfields was important early in the war for both sides, although far more so for the South than the North due to the lead time the Confederacy had in building facilities from scratch even after acquiring important molds and dies from the Harpers Ferry arsenal. But while lack of access after December 1861 would hurt and slow down the Union troop buildup, it would only delay it.

So it seems pretty clear that the import of weapons from Europe was important in 1861 and early 1862 but far less so by 1863 which would seem to indicate that in the early to mid 1862 period most of the weapons that were coming from Europe have already arrived and Union production is taking care of Union needs and that production is accelerating quickly all through the year.

That's what I was going for!! :extremelyhappy:

Well his son William did die around this point historically, changing it to his wife isn't really a softer blow, but it does really capture the spirit of what I was hoping to portray and certain effects Lincoln dearly. I didn't kill any more immediate friends and relations...this time.

What exactly butterflied the death from his son to his wife?

I must apologise for intruding myself into this thread for while I wish to compliment Mister EC for the continuing quality, I would also like the ask the usual cast of experts assembled here a question or three - first things first, I would like to say that the events of this timeline continues to read like a very high-quality Tragedy and that English Canuck's prose remains a model of lucidity without losing some emotional heft.

Concerning my secondary purpose, I would very much like to know if there are any resources that could offer some insight into the Confederate Armaments Industry; I'm trying to work out what form that Industry would take in an Independent CSA, as well as where that Industry would be concentrated (and while I agree that Confederate Agrarians are going to put up a bitter resistance to "Yankee Industrialisation" being inflicted on the South by it's own Government, one suspects that the Armaments Industry is likely to be the Exception that proves the Rule - even a Planter might agree that "the Arms Industry is no mere grubby Trade, but rather a Patriotic Duty!" to coin a phrase).

Could any of you kind persons please tell me where I might more appropriately ask this sort of question?

I must apologise for intruding myself into this thread for while I wish to compliment Mister EC for the continuing quality, I would also like the ask the usual cast of experts assembled here a question or three - first things first, I would like to say that the events of this timeline continues to read like a very high-quality Tragedy and that English Canuck's prose remains a model of lucidity without losing some emotional heft.

Concerning my secondary purpose, I would very much like to know if there are any resources that could offer some insight into the Confederate Armaments Industry; I'm trying to work out what form that Industry would take in an Independent CSA, as well as where that Industry would be concentrated (and while I agree that Confederate Agrarians are going to put up a bitter resistance to "Yankee Industrialisation" being inflicted on the South by it's own Government, one suspects that the Armaments Industry is likely to be the Exception that proves the Rule - even a Planter might agree that "the Arms Industry is no mere grubby Trade, but rather a Patriotic Duty!" to coin a phrase).

Could any of you kind persons please tell me where I might more appropriately ask this sort of question?

A quick search yesterday gave me the information on Texas I posted, and a couple of things on North Carolina and several on the general Confederate efforts to create an arms industry essentially from scratch. Some pretty impressive efforts too I might add. I didn't save any of the links but I used "how many rifles were made during the Civil War" as a starting point on firefox and took it from there

What exactly butterflied the death from his son to his wife?

William Lincoln's death in OTL was most likely caused by typhoid fever (or a flu, I am not entirely certain of the details beyond that each boy got sick and it seems biographers are not certain on what disease killed the boy OTL either) which he caught while at the White House. My thinking is that Mrs. Lincoln ITTL due to her stressed state also falls ill alongside the boys and while they make a full recovery, she does not. The butterfly is basically that the three Lincolns get sick but only one dies.

You're too kind! I'm very happy the most recent chapter has had the heft I was going for, it's a change that I had some difficulty carrying out!

There are numerous places on the web which can deal specifically with that. I think a Google search for "Arming the South" could turn up a number of reasonable sources. Having not delved very deeply into that particular aspect of the war beyond what little I know of the Tregedar Iron Works, guns pilfered from Northern arsenals and prisoners, and items imported, I cannot offer much more.

However, a useful site with members knowledgeable about all things Civil War related can be found here. I'm a member and I find the discussion can be very enlightening!

Concerning my secondary purpose, I would very much like to know if there are any resources that could offer some insight into the Confederate Armaments Industry;

War of the Rebellion, Series IV vols. 1-3 are probably worth looking at, if you haven't done so already. Assuming you haven't, here's the homepage, and here's what volumes 1, 2 and 3 have to say about "Tredegar" to get you started.