WI: President-Elect Hoover Was Assassinated In South America?

severino_di_giovani2.jpg

Severino Di Giovanni, Argentine anarchist leader and Galleanist

The late 1800s and early 1900s saw a number of assassinations and terrorist attacks perpetrated by anarchists performing what they called "propaganda of the deed." This highly controversial application of Bakuninist political theory to terroristic tactics - propaganda of the deed wasn't limited to violent action - was resisted by many notable anarchists, including Errico Malatesta and Peter Kropotkin. Despite this, the idea of "using violent action to resist the violence of the state and inspire the great mass of the people to revolution" was particularly attractive at a time when the tensions between the classes were mounting rapidly in the industrialized world.

Italian immigrant to Argentina and anarchist Severino Di Giovanni was an enthusiastic proponent of terror tactics in the war against capital. The main leader of the Galleanisti (followers of the Italian anarchist Luigi Galleani) in Argentina, he clashed with both the authorities and the anarcho-syndicalist partisans of Diego Abad de Santillán who rejected the use of terrorism. His supporters bombed the American Embassy in Buenos Aires, a few hours after Sacco and Vanzetti were condemned to death, in revenge for the unfair verdict. On November 26, 1927, Di Giovanni and others bombed a Combinados tobacco shop. On December 24, 1927, Di Giovanni blew up the headquarters of the Citibank and the Bank of Boston in Buenos Aires in protest of the execution of Sacco and Vanzetti.

Perhaps the greatest chance for Di Giovanni to change the course of history came in December 1928, when he and others failed in an attempt to bomb the train that held the President-elect Herbert Hoover. Hoover was visiting the Argentine President Hipólito Yrigoyen in an attempt to solidify friendships with other American nations. Police discovered the plot and arrested several of the conspirators before the attack could be made.

So, what happens if Di Giovanni and the Galleanisti successfully kill President-Elect Herbert Hoover? Does this mean a wave of police crackdowns on all leftism in Argentina's future? Does Di Giovanni manage to escape the long arm of the law yet again after such an audacious attack? What would a Charles Curtis presidency (interestingly, he would be the first Native American president, since he was an enrolled member of the Kaw Nation thanks to his mother) look like, with the Depression looming just around the corner?

Last edited:

Deleted member 109224

Charles Curtis would become president, no?

A President who was both Senate Majority Whip and Majority Leader could be pretty impactful.

Curtis was of significant native American descent. During the inauguration he got a native american jazz band to play.

I think Curtis would have trouble getting renominated. Perhaps there's a draft Coolidge campaign come 1932 and an actually competitive race.

Warren G Harding (1921-1923)
Calvin Coolidge (1923 - 1929; 1933)
Charles Curtis (1929 - 1933)

Of course, Coolidge died in January of 1933 OTL and inauguration was not until March 4th at the time. If Coolidge wins in 1933 we'd end up with his VP as president. 1928 all over again. I wonder who his running mate would be. Hughes? Dawes? Curtis? Root? Pershing?

Last edited by a moderator:
I started a thread on this a few months ago:

On December 12, 1928, the police of Buenos Aires raided a house at 1184 Estomba Street, where they discovered in the attic, besides bombs and dynamite, the "[p]lans of Caseros railway station...A bomb was to be exploded there two days later when...Herbert Hoover president-elect of the United States would be passing through on a visit." Osvaldo Bayer, Anarchism and Violence: Severino Di Giovanni in Argentina 1923-1931, pp. 132-33. https://archive.org/details/Osvaldo...verinoDiGiovanniInArgentina19231931/page/n121 (Hoover was on a "good-will" tour of Latin America, during which he was to meet Argentina's President Yrigoyen. Hoover attached considerable importnce to improving relations with Latin America, and was later to claim with some plausiblity that it was he rather than FDR who had originated the "Good Neighbor" policy.) Alejandro Scarfo, an anarchist who had lived in the attic for some months, was arrested; he was a disciple of the extremely violent Italian anarchist Severino Di Giovanni, who had lived in Argentina since 1923. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severino_Di_Giovanni

What if the attempt to kill Hoover had succeeded? The first thing to note is that, strictly speaking, Hoover at that point was not president-elect; true, he had overwhelmingly defeated Al Smith in November, but after all the president is not elected by the voters but by the Electoral College, and the electors did not vote until January 2, 1929. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=2i8iAAAAIBAJ&sjid=_aMFAAAAIBAJ&pg=4996,147293 Who would the Republican electors have voted for in the event of Hoover's death?

Presumably the Republican National Committee would meet to nominate a new candidate. An obvious solution is to bump Charles Curtis up from vice-presidential to presidential candidate. After all, if Hoover had been assassinated shortly after taking office, Curtis would become president, so the GOP could hardly deny that Curtis was fit for the job if Hoover died shortly before taking office. Curtis would be the first Native American POTUS; according to my 1957 Encyclopedia Britannica, vol. 6, p. 883, he was "born on Indian land now included in North Topeka...His mother was half Indian and his early youth was spent with the Kaw Indian tribe." (Curtis called himself "one-eighth Kaw Indian and one hundred percent Republican.") In that event, the question is who is chosen as Curtis' vice-president. The RNC might try to have Charles G. Dawes continue in that post, but Dawes had made himself unpopular with senators because of his attack on Senate rules. https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/common/generic/VP_Charles_Dawes.htm

Anyway, is it clear that the vice-presidential candidate must be "bumped up" in such an instance? The only analogy I can see in US history is Horace Greeley's death in 1872. Evidently the majority of the Greeley electors then did not think they had a duty to vote for Greeley's running mate Gratz Brown for president. (42 voted for Thomas Hendricks and only 18 for Brown; three were scattered and three Georgia electors tried to vote for Greeley even though he was dead--their votes were not counted by Congress.) Admittedly, the analogy is imperfect for a number of reasons: (1) Greeley lost, so his electors could vote for whomever they wanted and know it would make no real difference. (2) Many of the Greeley electors were Democrats who had only reluctantly supported the Liberal Republican candidate Greeley as a "lesser evil" than Grant; and the death of Greeley freed them to vote for a "real" Democrat (Hendricks). (3) Gratz Brown was a notorious drunk. Still, one could argue that whether a candidate was on the winning or losing ticket, if the ticket's electors were willing to vote for him for vice-president, they should be willing to vote for him for president.

In any event, it is likely that some members of the RNC would want to consider someone other than Curtis--for example, an effort might be made to get Calvin Coolidge to accept another term. (A number of Old Guard Republicans, suspicious of Hoover's record as a Bull Mooser in 1912 and his later association with the Wilson administration, had wanted to "draft" Coolidge even after his "I do not choose to run" statement. Curtis might arouse less suspicion, yet to some Coolidge would seem the only really prestigious candidate once Hoover was dead. But I doubt that Coolidge would be wiling to accept, even under these circumstances.)

The most plausible alternative to Curtis or Coolidge for the presidency if the RNC felt itself free to choose, would be Frank Lowden, former governor of Illinois, who had been one of the leading candidates for the GOP presidential nomination in 1920 and who had turned down the party's vice-presidential nomination in 1924. In 1928 Lowden was IIRC the only fairly serious rival of Hoover for the GOP presidential nomination (the other candidates were basically favorite sons) but only entered a limited number of primaries and withdrew his candidacy before the first ballot at the convention. In his withdrawal statement, Lowden criticized the GOP convention for not doing enough to address the farm problem--something that would not have endeared him to the RNC in December 1928. Charles Dawes would be another possibility, but as I have already noted, his 1925 attack on the Senate's rules had greatly angered GOP senators.

Of course in Argentina this would be an embarrassment to Yrigoyen, but his government would not survive very long anyway.

The one thing I am sure of is that people would later speculate that if only the Great Engineer had lived, the Depression would not have happened or would have been less severe...

https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...anarchists-in-argentina-december-1928.452850/

Wow, impressive detail in this post, @David T

What if the attempt to kill Hoover had succeeded? The first thing to note is that, strictly speaking, Hoover at that point was not president-elect; true, he had overwhelmingly defeated Al Smith in November, but after all the president is not elected by the voters but by the Electoral College, and the electors did not vote until January 2, 1929. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=2i8iAAAAIBAJ&sjid=_aMFAAAAIBAJ&pg=4996,147293 Who would the Republican electors have voted for in the event of Hoover's death?

Presumably the Republican National Committee would meet to nominate a new candidate. An obvious solution is to bump Charles Curtis up from vice-presidential to presidential candidate. After all, if Hoover had been assassinated shortly after taking office, Curtis would become president, so the GOP could hardly deny that Curtis was fit for the job if Hoover died shortly before taking office. Curtis would be the first Native American POTUS; according to my 1957 Encyclopedia Britannica, vol. 6, p. 883, he was "born on Indian land now included in North Topeka...His mother was half Indian and his early youth was spent with the Kaw Indian tribe." (Curtis called himself "one-eighth Kaw Indian and one hundred percent Republican.") In that event, the question is who is chosen as Curtis' vice-president. The RNC might try to have Charles G. Dawes continue in that post, but Dawes had made himself unpopular with senators because of his attack on Senate rules.

Is there any real reason why they'd try to have someone else put in the White House? Curtis seemed like a relatively popular moderate that wasn't really offensive to either wing of the party. Yes, he was part-Native American, but that didn't stop him from rising as high as he did already and anyway the politics around membership in Native American tribes in the States has always been distinctly different than, say, a Black American being placed in high office.

Of course in Argentina this would be an embarrassment to Yrigoyen, but his government would not survive very long anyway.

I'm interested in how Argentina's leftist scene would evolve: this isn't just some hit on a bank, this was the successful elimination of a pro-business American President-Elect. I wonder if this means a new wave of anarchist assassinations elsewhere by emboldened Galleanist-types and a corresponding police war against them. Definitely makes Di Giovanni a high-profile figure, added to the fact that he was not just some hanger-on turned killer like Leon Czolgosz, but an actual central figure in Argentina's anarchist underground with theoretical standings and polemics written by him.

The one thing I am sure of is that people would later speculate that if only the Great Engineer had lived, the Depression would not have happened or would have been less severe...

Definitely agree. TTL's AH.com would be flooded with timelines like "An Engineered Solution: What If Herbert Hoover Lived" that have the man dodging the worst of the Depressuon and being remembered as a hero. This leads to the question of how Curtis would deal with the coming economic disaster.

Deleted member 109224

Charles Curtis would become president, no?

A President who was both Senate Majority Whip and Majority Leader could be pretty impactful.

Curtis was of significant native American descent. During the inauguration he got a native american jazz band to play.

I think Curtis would have trouble getting renominated. Perhaps there's a draft Coolidge campaign come 1932 and an actually competitive race.

Warren G Harding (1921-1923)
Calvin Coolidge (1923 - 1929; 1933)
Charles Curtis (1929 - 1933)

Of course, Coolidge died in January of 1933 OTL and inauguration was not until March 4th at the time. If Coolidge wins in 1933 we'd end up with his VP as president. 1928 all over again. I wonder who his running mate would be. Hughes? Dawes? Curtis? Root? Pershing?

Alternatively, FDR is elected in 1932 and gets shot by Zangara. Two elections in a row the President-elect has been killed by an anarchist...

If Curtis is primaried in 1932, perhaps he comes back in 1936. He died of a heart attack, so that is preventable in an ATL.

Alternatively, FDR is elected in 1932 and gets shot by Zangara. Two elections in a row the President-elect has been killed by an anarchist...

I can only imagine the hell unleashed by having two elected presidents in a row shot by leftists - it's not like the States was friendly to them already but draconian laws and sweeping police powers (well, more of those things) might come about in reaction to this.

If Curtis is primaried in 1932, I think he could come back for another election. 1936, maybe 1940.

Would his chances of being primaried be high? I'm not really an expert on internal Republican politics in this time period, but it seems possible, especially depending on his performance throughout the term he inherits from Hoover.

Some other likely consequences:

Anarchists everywhere would be inspired to attempt similar "propaganda of the deed" actions.

The US Secret Service would become extremely paranoid about the President traveling anywhere outside the US - maybe even traveling within the US outside Washington.