Established in the 19th century, the Senussi are/were a Sufi religious order which eventually formed the ruling dynasty in the Kingdom of Libya. In the first few decades of the 20th century, the order was governed by Ahmed Sharif as-Senussi:
Wikipedia said:
Ahmed Sharif as-Senussi (Arabic: أحمد الشريف السنوسي‎) (1873, Jaghbub, Ottoman Empire (today Jaghbub, Libya) – 10 March 1933, Medina, Saudi Arabia) was the supreme leader of the Senussi order (1902–1933), although his leadership in the years 1917–1933 could be considered nominal. His daughter, Fatimah el-Sharif was the Queen consort of King Idris I of Libya.
In August 1918 he left Libya for Austria-Hungary, then to the Ottoman Empire.

Before abolishing the Ottoman Caliphate, Atatürk reportedly offered the caliphate to Ahmed Sharif as-Senussi, on the condition that he reside outside Turkey; Senussi declined the offer and confirmed his support for Abdülmecid II.[11]

He later moved to Hejaz, where he died at Medina on 10 March 1933.[12]
What if Ahmed Sharif as-Senussi accepts Atatürk's offer and takes on the title of Caliph? Presumably, when Ahmed dies in the 1930s, Idris I of Libya not only inherits the leadership of the Senussi order but the role of Caliph as well.

How would this impact the Italian occupation of Libya? WW2? The Cold War?

Crazy Boris

Banned
I don't think the Senussi would be accepted as Caliphs unless Abdulmecid himself surrenders the title to them like the Abbasids did to Selim the Grim.

The title of Caliph is useless unless the Caliphate controls Mecca and Medina, so Sharif would be taking a crown from the gutter and putting it on his head, for all the title of Caliph is worth. (Yeah, I know caliphs didn't wear crowns. Don't ruin my metaphor)