In 1941 June 26 unidentified aircrafts conducted an airstrike on the Hungarian city of Kassa, which led the Hungarian declaration of war upon the Soviet Union. The attack was blamed on the Soviet Union, even though the true identity of the attacking nation has never been established.

Let's say the bombing of Kassa never happens, or simply Hungary doesn't declare war after the bombing.
What could happen? How could Hungary maintain its neutrality? How much would the lack of the ~200 000 men strong Hungarian Second Army alter the retreat of the Germans at river Don?

What do you think about Hungary declaring war on Axis in 1944, possibly before the Romanians turning sides? How much more prepared would Hungary be for the war with five years of armament instead of just two? Could Hungary reconquer more of its former territories?

Thanks for your answers!

In 1941 June 26 unidentified aircrafts conducted an airstrike on the Hungarian city of Kassa, which led the Hungarian declaration of war upon the Soviet Union. The attack was blamed on the Soviet Union, even though the true identity of the attacking nation has never been established.

Let's say the bombing of Kassa never happens, or simply Hungary doesn't declare war after the bombing.
What could happen? How could Hungary maintain its neutrality? How much would the lack of the ~200 000 men strong Hungarian Second Army alter the retreat of the Germans at river Don?

What do you think about Hungary declaring war on Axis in 1944, possibly before the Romanians turning sides? How much more prepared would Hungary be for the war with five years of armament instead of just two? Could Hungary reconquer more of its former territories?

Thanks for your answers!
Well Hungary, Romania and Slovakia were playing for favors with Germans. If Hungary didn't declare war on Soviet Union after questionable bombing of Kosice? Firstly Hungary may forget all the weapons it OTL acquired from Germans, even if it was not enough. Most of Bf 109, Pz 38s but also Pz IVs and other material would go to Romania. Some of it would get Slovakia and maybe Croatia. Remember during WWII these 3 German allies almost recreated something like Little Entente against Hungary. So Hungarian position will be well troubling. Maybe even comparable with Czechoslovakia in 1938.

Now to maintaining Hungarian neutrality. What does Hungary have to offer to Germany to accept its neutrality? But let say it goes as you propose. It may mean till 1944 more Hunagrian Jews or Jews who escaped there survive (not deportation of 20 000 to Ukraine, or death of many in work battalions at Eastern Front).
Can Hungary declare war on Axis in 1944 before Romanians do? I doubt. Hungarian Army will be lacking modern tanks and air force. It was lacking it anyway but problems will be much bigger. Without possibility to let Soviets in and "help" they would be in same troubles Slovaks were in August 1944 when Uprising started. With bigger army but with worst terrain to defend, well except Carpathian Ruthenia of course but I do not believe that would be center of interest for Hungarians in case Hungary would try to switch from neutrality to armed conflict with Axis - Germany.

As to lack of 2nd Army on Don? Germans will need to find something else. Maybe more Romanians, Slovaks and maybe Croats, thing of something else or change their strategy?

trurle

Banned

Thanks for your answers!
I tend to agree to KACKO. Hungary neutrality wold be difficult to maintain.But if neutrality holds, the most prominent result would be tens of thousands Soviet Army refugees swarming to be interned in Hungary. It mean smaller Vlasov`s army under German command, and possibly Prague Uprising of 1945 failing along with Warsaw Uprising in 1944. It is difficult to predict effects of lack Hungarian soldiers on Eastern front, but effect is likely to be minor. More effect would be disruption of the Bf 210 fighter-bomber production. It may mean slightly earlier demise of German advantage in air during 1942.

Hungary neutrality wold be difficult to maintain.

It would definitely never hold past the start of September 1944. By that point, the Soviets would either demand that they switch sides and declare war on Germany and let the Red Army in or face a Soviet invasion. We have a solid precedent of this OTL: Bulgaria basically did what the OP suggests Hungary did and that is what happened to them.

How could Hungary maintain its neutrality?

Hungary cannot maintain its neutrality, as Hungary participated in the invasion of Yugoslavia in April 1941 (before BARBAROSSA) and annexed parts of Yugoslavia. Hungary also allowed German forces to move through and operate from its territory. Hungary could refuse to send troops to participate in BARBAROSSA, but I don't think that would do Hungary much good. Bulgaria sent no troops to the Eastern Front, and surrendered when Soviet forces arrived in August-September 1944, but the Soviets occupied Bulgaria anyway, imposed a Communist government, and liquidated most of the leaders of the old regime.

IMO, Hungary would fare no better.

Well Hungary, Romania and Slovakia were playing for favors with Germans. If Hungary didn't declare war on Soviet Union after questionable bombing of Kosice? Firstly Hungary may forget all the weapons it OTL acquired from Germans, even if it was not enough. Most of Bf 109, Pz 38s but also Pz IVs and other material would go to Romania. Some of it would get Slovakia and maybe Croatia. Remember during WWII these 3 German allies almost recreated something like Little Entente against Hungary. So Hungarian position will be well troubling. Maybe even comparable with Czechoslovakia in 1938.

Now to maintaining Hungarian neutrality. What does Hungary have to offer to Germany to accept its neutrality? But let say it goes as you propose. It may mean till 1944 more Hunagrian Jews or Jews who escaped there survive (not deportation of 20 000 to Ukraine, or death of many in work battalions at Eastern Front).
Can Hungary declare war on Axis in 1944 before Romanians do? I doubt. Hungarian Army will be lacking modern tanks and air force. It was lacking it anyway but problems will be much bigger. Without possibility to let Soviets in and "help" they would be in same troubles Slovaks were in August 1944 when Uprising started. With bigger army but with worst terrain to defend, well except Carpathian Ruthenia of course but I do not believe that would be center of interest for Hungarians in case Hungary would try to switch from neutrality to armed conflict with Axis - Germany.

As to lack of 2nd Army on Don? Germans will need to find something else. Maybe more Romanians, Slovaks and maybe Croats, thing of something else or change their strategy?
Thanks, for your answers, they are well detailed.
I don't know anything about Hungarian-Croatian relations, but Romania and Slovakia sure were hostile.
I can't see why would the worsen the Hungarian military position. Sure, they wouldn't get the vehicles from the Germans to use, but wouldn't the Germans be eager to produce their equipments in a friendly and neutral country? Like that, they could avoid the bombings of the producing factories, while the Hungarians could lay their arms on German technologies, and produce it to themselves too. what do you think?
I tend to agree to KACKO. Hungary neutrality wold be difficult to maintain.But if neutrality holds, the most prominent result would be tens of thousands Soviet Army refugees swarming to be interned in Hungary. It mean smaller Vlasov`s army under German command, and possibly Prague Uprising of 1945 failing along with Warsaw Uprising in 1944. It is difficult to predict effects of lack Hungarian soldiers on Eastern front, but effect is likely to be minor. More effect would be disruption of the Bf 210 fighter-bomber production. It may mean slightly earlier demise of German advantage in air during 1942.
About the production read what I wrote to KACKO, and please tell me what do you think. :)
Hungary cannot maintain its neutrality, as Hungary participated in the invasion of Yugoslavia in April 1941 (before BARBAROSSA) and annexed parts of Yugoslavia. Hungary also allowed German forces to move through and operate from its territory. Hungary could refuse to send troops to participate in BARBAROSSA, but I don't think that would do Hungary much good. Bulgaria sent no troops to the Eastern Front, and surrendered when Soviet forces arrived in August-September 1944, but the Soviets occupied Bulgaria anyway, imposed a Communist government, and liquidated most of the leaders of the old regime.

IMO, Hungary would fare no better.
Even though Hungary participated in the invasion of Yugoslavia, the Allies didn't declare war on them for various reasons. The two main reasons were the suicide of the Hungarian Prime Minister(Teleki Pál /Paul Teleki) and the fact, that Hungary attacked only after the collapse of the Yugoslavian state.
It would definitely never hold past the start of September 1944. By that point, the Soviets would either demand that they switch sides and declare war on Germany and let the Red Army in or face a Soviet invasion. We have a solid precedent of this OTL: Bulgaria basically did what the OP suggests Hungary did and that is what happened to them.
The difference between Hungary and Bulgaria, as I wrote to Anarch King is that Hungary wasn't in war with the Western Allies, only after their attack on the Soviet Union.

Thank you for all of your answers, I hope others will give their opinions too!

A variation for this might be Hungary retaining a Communist of leftist government thru to 1938/39. How would that affect the Cezch Crisis, the Polish Crisis/War, and beyond into 1940 & 41?

trurle

Banned
I don't know anything about Hungarian-Croatian relations, but Romania and Slovakia sure were hostile.
I can't see why would the worsen the Hungarian military position. Sure, they wouldn't get the vehicles from the Germans to use, but wouldn't the Germans be eager to produce their equipments in a friendly and neutral country? Like that, they could avoid the bombings of the producing factories, while the Hungarians could lay their arms on German technologies, and produce it to themselves too. what do you think?

About the production read what I wrote to KACKO, and please tell me what do you think. :)

In other words, you propose the Hungary to follow the example of Swiss. Limited cooperation with Axis, but keeping neutral. IOTL, Swiss cooperation with Germany was very limited since 1941. They kept military equipment for themselves (as deterrent) and even interned some of the German aircraft who ended in Swiss territory due mechanical failures while flying across or near border.

Even though Hungary participated in the invasion of Yugoslavia, the Allies didn't declare war on them for various reasons. The two main reasons were the suicide of the Hungarian Prime Minister(Teleki Pál /Paul Teleki) and the fact, that Hungary attacked only after the collapse of the Yugoslavian state.

The difference between Hungary and Bulgaria, as I wrote to Anarch King is that Hungary wasn't in war with the Western Allies, only after their attack on the Soviet Union.

Thank you for all of your answers, I hope others will give their opinions too!
Well I see somehow nor very optimistically possibility of Germany move or built its production in unfriendly or neutral country. Even if Hungarians just wanted to buy licenses to start production themselves it would be hard to negotiate. I believe Hungarians tried that approach wit Pz III or Pz IV OTL sometimes in 1939 but financial compensation Hermans were asking for were not very encouraging for Hungarians. That's why they ended up buying Skoda design and improving to their needs. Hungary built pretty impressive armament industry with what they had available which was still not enough to modernize their army as much as they wished.

I would seeore likely Germans invest more in Romania or Slovakia where they acquired and took over ownership of armament factories built by Czechoslovak companies in 30-ties.

In my opinion last chance for Hungary to stay neutral was before Munich 1938. Afterwards whole Central Europe become heavily under German influence.

By summer 1941 all states in area were under heavy German influence. And of course Germans were exploiting mistrust Hungary, Romania and Slovakia had against each other. From my reading Slovaks for example were always watching Hungary. Even in March 1944 Slovaks were watching situation and if Germans asked for assistance they would very likely provide it with hope of gaining either pre 1938 border or at least teaquiring lost territories with Slovak majority.

Again as all other states in region Hungary was very limited on what it could do. Bulgaria was able to resist Germany in their demand to join Barbarossa but was involved in Greece and Yugoslavia.

Hungary on other side was on important logistical route to Romania and southern sectors of Eastern Front.

Hungary IMHO wasn't much better off than Poland. They had the Reich (via annexed Austria) on one side and the USSR (via Ukraine) on the other. They probably figured they could either throw in with Germany, or be taken over by them. They did try to negotiate a peace deal with the Allies after the Hungarian 2nd Army was annihilated during the Ostrogozhsk-Rossosh Offensive (a.k.a. Operation Little Saturn, the Soviet encirclement of Stalingrad). Germany found out about this and occupied Hungary. So basically there was no way to stay out of the war

A variation for this might be Hungary retaining a Communist of leftist government thru to 1938/39. How would that affect the Cezch Crisis, the Polish Crisis/War, and beyond into 1940 & 41?
In my opinion a communist Hungary could expect even worse relations with its neighbours and with the World overall. Its only friend could be the Soviet Union. The Germans and the Italians would never support any border revision in favour of a communist state neither the British and French. Like this, after the München agreement, when Czechoslovakia breaks up, we could see a much larger Slovakia emerging possibly possessing Carpathian Ruthenia too. Still, it would be a German puppet.

After the German invasion of Poland, its very likely, that Hungary would be invaded shortly after, maybe just before Barbarossa. It could mean some territorial gains for Romania and maybe Slovakia, but it definately would be reversed after the victory of Allies.

In other words, you propose the Hungary to follow the example of Swiss. Limited cooperation with Axis, but keeping neutral. IOTL, Swiss cooperation with Germany was very limited since 1941. They kept military equipment for themselves (as deterrent) and even interned some of the German aircraft who ended in Swiss territory due mechanical failures while flying across or near border.
Yes, something like that, but maybe the Sweden might be a better comparison. :)

Well I see somehow nor very optimistically possibility of Germany move or built its production in unfriendly or neutral country. Even if Hungarians just wanted to buy licenses to start production themselves it would be hard to negotiate. I believe Hungarians tried that approach wit Pz III or Pz IV OTL sometimes in 1939 but financial compensation Hermans were asking for were not very encouraging for Hungarians. That's why they ended up buying Skoda design and improving to their needs. Hungary built pretty impressive armament industry with what they had available which was still not enough to modernize their army as much as they wished.

I would seeore likely Germans invest more in Romania or Slovakia where they acquired and took over ownership of armament factories built by Czechoslovak companies in 30-ties.

In my opinion last chance for Hungary to stay neutral was before Munich 1938. Afterwards whole Central Europe become heavily under German influence.

By summer 1941 all states in area were under heavy German influence. And of course Germans were exploiting mistrust Hungary, Romania and Slovakia had against each other. From my reading Slovaks for example were always watching Hungary. Even in March 1944 Slovaks were watching situation and if Germans asked for assistance they would very likely provide it with hope of gaining either pre 1938 border or at least teaquiring lost territories with Slovak majority.

Again as all other states in region Hungary was very limited on what it could do. Bulgaria was able to resist Germany in their demand to join Barbarossa but was involved in Greece and Yugoslavia.

Hungary on other side was on important logistical route to Romania and southern sectors of Eastern Front.
I wouldn't say that Hungary was unfriendly towards Germany, since it actually signed both the Anti-Comintern Pact and the Tripartite Pact, and it let the German troops through its territory. With a relation like this my suggested cooperation might be possible in my opinion. Still the Germans possibly would stand high demands for it. Maybe in a latter phase of the war would it be more feasible(1943,'44).

In the argument of armament, the most important factor is time. Actually the Hungarians had a rearmament program, the so called "Győri program" (it's in the tags too). The budget of the Győri program originally were set at 1 million Hungarian Pengős (600 000 to the army and 400 000 to infrastructure and others), but it constantly grew, and already in 1940 only the army got 1,6 million Pengős in itself. If such a trend takes place in this TL too, the five years of intensive development of the army could result in a quite muscular Hungarian army in the late war.

Since Hungary was a de facto ally of Germany (even though not in war), they could, and actually did let the German troops and logistics to cross the country.

It all was just my opinion, maybe I'm oversimplificiing it. I'm looking forward for your answer!

And ofcourse, to anyone's answers!

In OTL a major aim of Romania was the revision of the Second Vienna Arbitrage, Antonescu spoke to Hitler in his first meeting about this and in the later meetings as well. Hitler in OTL had a vague non-committal attitude and never came on one side or the other. If Hungary does not cooperate, would the Fuehrer be more receptive to Romanian pleas?

In OTL a major aim of Romania was the revision of the Second Vienna Arbitrage, Antonescu spoke to Hitler in his first meeting about this and in the later meetings as well. Hitler in OTL had a vague non-committal attitude and never came on one side or the other. If Hungary does not cooperate, would the Fuehrer be more receptive to Romanian pleas?
It is sure possible, but you have to consider that too, that Hitler probably wouldn't want a war between Hungary and Romania since he needed the Romanian troops on the Eastern Front, and even a short war with Hungary could interrupt a lot in his planes, especially if we are talking about the latter phases of the war(1943). The best chance for Antonescu to win Hitler to his cause could be, if the Hungarians would join the Allies after the Invasion of Normandy, but that may be already to late, Romania was already in a very bad shape around that time, and the coup of the King would neglate it anyway. If you have an other idea, share it with me. :)

It's hard to imagine the Allies would ever allow the Vienna Awards to remain in full. They are, after all, Hitler's work. And while the Allies did not declare war after Hungary attacked Yugoslavia - they still broke off diplomatic relations and were, needless to say, extremely displeased.

Probably the best Hungary can hope for is a partial revision of the Awards, in which Romania and (Czecho)Slovakia recover only recover about half of the seized territories. That and some minor territorial revisions on the Hungarian-Yugoslav border, along the lines of Teleki's 1940 proposals.

Horthy himself would need to step down as early as possible - perhaps immediately after declaring war on the Axis; or his presence might jeopardize the whole thing. The Allies favored the old statesman Istvan Bethlen as the keystone of a hypothetical new regime, although it's not certain who his primary partners might have been.

Neither was Bulgaria. The UK actually declared upon Bulgaria near the end of '41 rather then vice-versa. That's likely to be the case with Hungary. Even a "neutral" Hungary will be so blatantly pro-Axis (what, with letting German troops and supplies full access to their territory and resources) that the Allies would never tolerate it longer then they could afford too, as was the case with Bulgaria.

In my opinion a communist Hungary could expect even worse relations with its neighbours and with the World overall.
Its only friend could be the Soviet Union. The Germans and the Italians would never support any border revision in favour of a communist state neither the British and French.
In 30-ties very likely.

Like this, after the München agreement, when Czechoslovakia breaks up, we could see a much larger Slovakia emerging possibly possessing Carpathian Ruthenia too. Still, it would be a German puppet.
Well as Vienna agreement was again not very just to Slovaks, Slovakia should be larger anyway then it was after Vienna. As to Slovakia holding on Carpathian Ruthennia? There is no way for more then one reason. Slovaks themselves were not interested in territory where except border regions around Uh river no Slovaks were living. Not in OTL conditions. On territories acquired by Hungary on other side over 0.5 millions Slovaks stayed so of course they were interested in that or at least into more for them favorable revision.

Second reason is that when in March 14 1939 Slovakia declared independence next day Ruthenia declared it's own.

After the German invasion of Poland, its very likely, that Hungary would be invaded shortly after, maybe just before Barbarossa. It could mean some territorial gains for Romania and maybe Slovakia, but it definately would be reversed after the victory of Allies.
I presume we are talking what if Hungary was communist. Well Slovakia wouldn't be much interested in acquiring more territory. Maybe, just maybe would try to perused Hungarian Slovaks to move to Slovakia. At least some 120 000 there. Have seen even larger numbers.

Yes, something like that, but maybe the Sweden might be a better comparison. :)
However much different geographical position.

I wouldn't say that Hungary was unfriendly towards Germany, since it actually signed both the Anti-Comintern Pact and the Tripartite Pact, and it let the German troops through its territory. With a relation like this my suggested cooperation might be possible in my opinion. Still the Germans possibly would stand high demands for it. Maybe in a latter phase of the war would it be more feasible(1943,'44).
I was operating with fact that Hungary would try to stay neutral. That would be considered unfriendly to Germans.

Neutral Hungary just couldn't allow transport of German troops through Hungary to Bulgaria for attack on Yugoslavia and Greece. It could not allow transfer of German troops to Romania for prepration for operation Barbarossa and definitely it could not allow transfer of troops and material through it's territory after operation Barbarossa started if it wanted to be seen as neutral. That would Germans consider to be unfriendly.

In the argument of armament, the most important factor is time. Actually the Hungarians had a rearmament program, the so called "Győri program" (it's in the tags too). The budget of the Győri program originally were set at 1 million Hungarian Pengős (600 000 to the army and 400 000 to infrastructure and others), but it constantly grew, and already in 1940 only the army got 1,6 million Pengős in itself. If such a trend takes place in this TL too, the five years of intensive development of the army could result in a quite muscular Hungarian army in the late war.
Don't know about Gyori program. However there was Elod Plan from 1932 which planned for expansion of Hungarian Armed forces. Not fully implemented in 1940 was revised into Huba I following Huba II in 1941 and Huba III in 1943.

OTL Hungary manufactured impressive number of tanks and SPG - 531, however most of them were basically lighter types. Plus Armored cars and SP AA Nimrod.
On other side Hungary imported 443 tanks and SPG from Germany. Some were lighter types as Pz 38, Pz II.

With fighter planes before the war and it is early years Hungary imported from Italy or manufactured based on Italian license 437 fighter planes. However from Germans it acquired (or manufactured German designs) some 821 fighter planes.
Base on numbers I have seen similar can be said for AT and AA guns as well as partially for field artillery.

My believe if Hungary wanted to go as neutral many of this would not arrive. Meaning despite various modernization plans Hungarian army would be very likely equipped with less advanced weapons. Yes there would not be casualties from Eastern front so no equipment loss but these weapons would be in 1944 anyway have much lower value. Also, Hungarian army and officer corps would lack combat experience from Eastern front. And this is very important! As an example I will throw in again Slovak national uprising best results in defense and attack had Slovak officers with experience from Eastern Front. Fought on much different terrain then Hungary has took Germans 2 months to defeat, but well they didn't throw everything at it anyway as it was after 2 Slovak division were eliminated in Eastern Slovakia by quick German reaction basically in their garrisons. Uprising was then concentrated into hilly region. Biggest concern for German was to open railway Zilina-Kosice (Zsolna-Kassa).

Since Hungary was a de facto ally of Germany (even though not in war), they could, and actually did let the German troops and logistics to cross the country.
But then they wouldn't be neutral especially after operation Barbarossa started! To be neutral they needed to keep away from Barbarossa. Germans could not have that. Germans needed to pull them into the war (and that's why around bombing of Kosice are so much conspiracy theories - Germans did, Romanians, have seen even Slovaks blamed based on Avia B-71 being in Slovak Air Force - but only 1 pcs. or Soviets wanted to attack Slovak town Presov (Eperjes) and got lost - Presov and Kosice are only some 20-30 km apart and both towns have some hills around them, both had railway station and church and center of the town, Soviet bomber crews could get easily confused). It's my strong believe that if Hungarian government indeed try to go this way there would be either occupation or early Ferenc Szalasi government (or somebody similar).

Interesting scenario I was playing with was if Hungarians, Romanians and Slovaks overcome their animosity and managed to coordinate their efforts in August 1944. That would really screwed up Germans and Hungary may even be able to keep some of territory with clear Hungarian majority in Slovakia and maybe even Romania. It wouldn't be post 1938, 1939 or post 1940 borders but well I can see for Example Komarom and region around it, some areas around Ipel (Ipoly) river and some areas in south east of Slovakia around Ujhely. Kassa would be very likely handed back to Czechoslovakia as population there was more evenly divided between Hungarians and Slovaks, Jews and Germans being smaller but still significant number. (That's was kind of smart move on Czechoslovak part when Jews were allowed to claim their own nationality. As most of them spoke as their major language Hungarian or German it lowered statistical numbers of Hungarians or Germans. That's what you need to keep in mind when looking at higher numbers of Hungarians in Slovakia claimed by Hungary and lower claimed by Czechoslovakia. Well another was people from mixed families and thus bilingual. They claimed Hungarian nationality before 1918, Slovak nationality in period 1918-1938/9, then Hungarian in 1938-1945 and then back Slovak ;) ) kind of interesting part of our History especially for me. My father was born in Hungarian kingdom in January 1945 shortly before Hungarian and German troops were pushed out from the town. Basically I can ask for Hungarian citizenship by Hungarian laws, right? ;)

Central European countries with Germany as overlord of European continent after fall of France didn't had much chances to stay neutral. You can probably play these scenario if France didn't fell and managed to stop Germans though. Of course then there wouldn't be Second Vienna award if Hungary wanted to stay neutral.
Just my fillér or two to discussion.

Last edited: