What would Stalin do if Moscow is overrun?

Deleted member 96212

If the Nazis, by some stroke of luck, are in the process of capturing Moscow and Stalin was in danger of falling into enemy hands, what would the Soviet dictator do? Would he commit suicide to avoid capture, remain in the city despite the danger, or make an escape attempt?

If the Nazis, by some stroke of luck, are in the process of capturing Moscow and Stalin was in danger of falling into enemy hands, what would the Soviet dictator do? Would he commit suicide to avoid capture, remain in the city despite the danger, or make an escape attempt?

He would "Die heroically leading the defence of Moscow, bravely giving his life to defend the workers of the Motherland" and not be shot in a Moscow backstreet on Beria's* orders before Molotov & Zhukov lead the country to victory.

*shortly before Beria dies of a "heart attack in his office while working tirelessly to protect the Soviet people". A heart attack brought on by a pistol round to the back of the head.

Deleted member 1487

Well IOTL he opted against evacuating with the rest of the government to Kiubysheev. He recognized unless he stayed the public would freak out. I know that ON is going to come and say the NKVD straightened everything out, but if the Germans were in a position to overrun the city there would be a mass breakdown of public order and self evacuation east. I'm thinking Stalin stands and dies or only tries to flee when it is clear that Moscow is already lost. Not sure he can make it out of the city in one piece then, but I get the impression his team at the time felt he was the only guy that could hold the country together in spite of his failures of command. At that point I think the country starts unraveling because morale would drop off a cliff once the capital is gone, while Stalin's leadership, as well as those of his generals, wasn't enough to hold the capital and industrial heart of the nation at that point (the Urals as the new heart was only just being assembled). So things could go many ways in terms of Stalin, but personally I think he stays and it is 50-50 whether he dies in Moscow or bails at the last second. We'd kind of need to know the details of how Moscow is overrun to really comment on the situation specifically. If Stalin dies then politically the USSR starts to unravel at this point, because there is no clear successor and there is a lot of bad blood between Beria and everyone else, which Beria knows and will react to, which undermines the ability of the surviving government officials to actually unify. The army isn't going to trust him and may move to remove him. This isn't 1953 after there was more peace in which to work out the details of Stalin's succession, while his team was more unified.

At that point I think the country starts unraveling because morale would drop off a cliff once the capital is gone,

Unlikely - it'll be "Napoleon made it to Moscow and lost, General Winter and scorched earth will save us again".

I'm not so sure he was that personally brave.
There is story him once and obly once visiting some close to front area where Germans were just pushed out. He needed to take shit and was going to step off the road. He was told not to do it as road sides were not yet checked for mines. Upon hearing it he took shit right there on the road.

Just story I read somewhere.

He would "Die heroically leading the defence of Moscow, bravely giving his life to defend the workers of the Motherland" and not be shot in a Moscow backstreet on Beria's* orders before Molotov & Zhukov lead the country to victory.

*shortly before Beria dies of a "heart attack in his office while working tirelessly to protect the Soviet people". A heart attack brought on by a pistol round to the back of the head.

Soviet politics are fun :D

RousseauX

Donor

1941 era Beria & co did not have the guts nor the capacity to shoot stalin, they had their chance in June-July but at the end of the day those guys were psychologically dependent on Stalin and the government doesn't actually function w/o him

Stalin would stay in Moscow until the last moment.
When he realized the city MUST fall, he would be evacuated to a safe location to continue the war.

Loghain

Banned
Can you imagine the parade the Nazis would throw for the soldiers who took out Stalin's tank?

Screw the Parade can you imagine the propaganda if USSR still wins the war ? Stalin "Man of Iron in russian" dying in tank fighting.
Stalin as goddamn Che Guevera jesus christ