years long lurker, first time poster here.

in 1793, Paine was arrested in France on charges of "treason". The most probable reason is that he was seen as too moderate when compared to Robespierre and other Jacobins. While in prison, Paine was working on "The Age of Reason". He was eventually released through the help of Future president, James Monroe.

What if he was guillotined in France before Monroe could secure his release (of if the French Revolutionaries ignored his pleas)? Would this have caused an even deeper rift between the two nations than in OTL? This was still before the whole XYZ affair. Would Paine's legacy be viewed differently today? What about his work on "The Age of Reason"?

Paine wasn't too popular in the US in his later years. The man was a brilliant drunk writer and a lifelong screw-up who had the lack of wisdom to announce his French citizenship to the world and publicly castigated George Washington's reputation while in prison. Had he "worn the scarlet ribbon" there would be a few "ah, shuckses" in America, but hardly an outcry.

I believe most of his unpopularity and criticism of Washington came after his time in prison, in this TL he dies before being released or publishing The Age of Reason. Also, he was respected enough for Monroe to intervene. Even if he was unpopular, perhaps he could have been made into a martyr. I'm sure Adams would have pointed to that during his admin.

Adams and Hamilton would be looking across the table at Jefferson during cabinet meetings and saying "I told ya so." Jefferson would personally regret the loss of Paine but political he would remain pro-French simply because he loathed the British.

The Age of Reason seemed to have had its greatest impact amongst British radicals so the butterflies would be more pronounced there if he is unable to finish the work.

Jefferson may have been pro French, but I suspect Adams would have tried to pass some measures that were even more extreme than the Alien and Sedition Acts.