What if Portugal and Spain join the Allies & France,Belgium and the Netherlands were seen as a collaborator after the end of World War II ?

Venditg

Banned
What would happen to their colonies and to the countries themselves? I know the Soviet Union doesn't have the capacity to influence Africa or Asia yet after World War II, I'm trying to think of a scenario where the colonies of this countries get an earlier Independence than our timeline. As I see it :

• Syria and Lebanon might be merge with Jordan
  • Spain might get territories from France, I remember they wanted the Cameroon and Gabon plus Morocco
  • Friends empire gets dismantled and run by the United States
  • In Indochina might remain United?
  • Indonesia might not get to fight against the Netherlands
  • Belgian Congo is a mystery, might become a federal republic?
  • Dutch and French Guiana are merged with British Guyana?
  • Dutch and French Caribbean are merged with the British West Indies?
  • Italy keeps Corsica?
Any order intuition or suggestion or source is welcome.

By the end of WW2, the Americans were a LOT more involved in 'carving up the peace' than after WW1. Ideas of handing out overseas colanies etc. as 'spoilts of war' that were acceptable after WW1 (when the Americans had minimal interest in the carve up) would be a lot harder to 'sell' ... One constant American theam was 'self determination' ...

I belive the idea sold to Stalin was a return to the borders of 1939 .. so if US / GB start handing out colonies Stalin is going to demand the Soviet Union borders are moved west into hat East Germany, Poland, Romania etc. (i.e fully are incorporated with no 'independent' Governments)

HOWEVER you can for sure have a post WW2 United Nations set up 'Protectorates' of the loosing countries colonies. However only the major powers are likley to have the resources or willingness to take on the job of guiding them to their (US influenced) 'road map to indpendence' ...
Trying to reconcile the various different local differences that are simmering below the surface and only kept repressed by the common goal of 'independence first, wipe out the minorities second' is a tankless taks that continues to echo down the years. Even today, many Arab coutries in particular put all their problems down to the French/British 'crave up' post WW1 ....

See formation of Israel or Partition of India for what happens when a colonial power throws in the towel.

Portugal:
Sometime during the war, Açores and Madeira are ocupied by the allies, returned at the end. The colonies? Angola, Moçambique and the areas in India are taken over by the UK, since they are the closest allied nation. Since the UK is trying to hold on to the empire, in the imediate post-war period, the idea of giving Angola Moçambique would set a bad precedent. Otoh, there's the public view of "UK as ocupant"; so they are either returned or the UK dithers and sways for so long they rise up with their own independence movements. Cabo Verde and Guine Bissau go thru similar processes. As for the sections of India, they are most likely given to India in 1948. Timor ends up as part of a free Indonesia.

Last edited: