USA Anthem Poll

What should have been the National Anthem?

• Total voters
Count me as well among the ultra-secularists.

However the Battle Hymn of the Republic is one of my favorite songs. One of the only songs I know all the words to as well. I often sing it in the shower and on those occasions where I've imbibed more than I ought, I've been known to parade through the streets of Brooklyn in the middle of the night belting it out at the top of my lungs.

Despite my love for it though, it's not fitting for a national anthem.

There are many options in that list better suited as national anthems, which is exactly why I didn't choose them. The United States doesn't need a generic anthem which worships the soil and proclaims the great character and glory which spring forth from it. Every country has one of those. Stupid nationalist jibberish.

What we need is an anthem which has humble beginnings, say as a drinking song. And then lyrics laid down during a seminal event in the country's shaping. Lyrics that aren't of the run of the mill , our country is great, our rocks and dirt are better than your rocks and dirt sort. But lyrics which are emblematic about what makes this country different. The United States was the first country where the defining characteristic of the national identity was a shared idea. A country based on concepts and symbolism should have an anthem about a symbol, about an idea.

About a flag, and what it stands for. Or rather, the hope evoked when seeing that flag.

There may be many things about this country I don't like, but the anthem is not one of them. We nailed that bitch down tight.

*edit*
I just wanted to add I realize that when you include the other 3 or 4 verses which commonly aren't sung you do have some references to the land and to God. Actually I think the song uses the generic "Praise the Power" something something. My general point is that the most common criticism of the anthem, that it is just a song about the flag, is actually it's greatest strength. By having the song be about the symbol of the country, you have the anthem stand for whatever the country symbolizes for each individual. Which is a neat trick in my opinion.

Last edited:
1931 wasn't special. The national anthem could have been selected by congress at any time. Such as 1866 during Reconstruction.

Yeah, but he's saying that selecting Battle Hymn of the Republic in 1931 would be the equivalent of selecting some 1940s song today. In 1931, BHOTR might not've been seen as a patriotic emblem to America (due to its "recentness"). I don't necessarily agree, because it was still some time ago, close to the "half-way mark," and related to America's re-birth in the Civil War.

In 1931 you still had living survivors of the Civil War. I doubt the southernly half of the country would have been very supportive of a national anthem which evoked the asswhuppin' they had received only sixty some odd years prior.

I do like "Battle Hymn of the Republic", even as an atheist, however, I don't think having an overtly religious song as a national anthem in a nominally secular country is a good idea.

I voted for Star Spangled Banner. It manages to give me goosebumps and I'm not even American.

Hapsburg

Banned
In 1931 you still had living survivors of the Civil War. I doubt the southernly half of the country would have been very supportive of a national anthem which evoked the asswhuppin' they had received only sixty some odd years prior.
And not only that; 1931 was in the middle of that period of time where the South was being vindicated, of sorts, by popular culture. The common view had shifted from "The South, haha, scoundrels" to "The South, our worthy opponents", and even in some circles to "The South, they were right all along". Hence why movies like The Birth of A Nation and the later Gone With The Wind were wildly popular.

Choosing Battle Hymn as our anthem in any time from the late 1890's to the mid 1940's would have been anathema to the popularly-held notions of the day.

Stars and Stripes Forever!!
Let martial note in triumph float
And liberty extend its mighty hand
A flag appears 'mid thunderous cheers,
The banner of the Western land.
The emblem of the brave and true
Its folds protect no tyrant crew;
The red and white and starry blue
Is freedom's shield and hope.

Other nations may deem their flags the best
And cheer them with fervid elation
But the flag of the North and South and West
Is the flag of flags, the flag of Freedom's nation.

Hurrah for the flag of the free!
May it wave as our standard forever,
The gem of the land and the sea,
The banner of the right.
Let despots remember the day
When our fathers with mighty endeavor
Proclaimed as they marched to the fray
That by their might and by their right
It waves forever.

Let eagle shriek from lofty peak
The never-ending watchword of our land;
Let summer breeze waft through the trees
The echo of the chorus grand.
Sing out for liberty and light,
Sing out for freedom and the right.
Sing out for Union and its might,
O patriotic sons.

Other nations may deem their flags the best
And cheer them with fervid elation,
But the flag of the North and South and West
Is the flag of flags, the flag of Freedom's nation.

Hurrah for the flag of the free.
May it wave as our standard forever
The gem of the land and the sea,
The banner of the right.
Let despots remember the day
When our fathers with mighty endeavor
Proclaimed as they marched to the fray,
That by their might and by their right
It waves forever.

There are many options in that list better suited as national anthems, which is exactly why I didn't choose them. The United States doesn't need a generic anthem which worships the soil and proclaims the great character and glory which spring forth from it. Every country has one of those. Stupid nationalist jibberish.

What we need is an anthem which has humble beginnings, say as a drinking song. And then lyrics laid down during a seminal event in the country's shaping. Lyrics that aren't of the run of the mill , our country is great, our rocks and dirt are better than your rocks and dirt sort. But lyrics which are emblematic about what makes this country different. The United States was the first country where the defining characteristic of the national identity was a shared idea. A country based on concepts and symbolism should have an anthem about a symbol, about an idea.

About a flag, and what it stands for. Or rather, the hope evoked when seeing that flag.

There may be many things about this country I don't like, but the anthem is not one of them. We nailed that bitch down tight.

*edit*
I just wanted to add I realize that when you include the other 3 or 4 verses which commonly aren't sung you do have some references to the land and to God. Actually I think the song uses the generic "Praise the Power" something something. My general point is that the most common criticism of the anthem, that it is just a song about the flag, is actually it's greatest strength. By having the song be about the symbol of the country, you have the anthem stand for whatever the country symbolizes for each individual. Which is a neat trick in my opinion.

g-damn right.

It is an American anthem, and, the best part of the United States is The Idea the country was founded on and the ongoing struggle to measure up to that idea. (Y'know, all folks created equal, rights to life, liberty, pursuit of happiness, elaborated on nicely by plaque on Statue of Liberty, and so on.) The Idea is frankly the only thing that practically everyone can enthusiastically agree on being worth celebrating. (Our size? Thank small pox, millions of dead American Indians, and land-lust. Our strength? See size, perhaps. Our wealth? Not a guaranteed thing for the long term, not for most citizens anyhow. Et al.)

none of this 'oh how much we love these hills' when you know the suckers get paved two years from now to make a residential subdivision with an outlet mall on the side.

"Solidarity Forever" is classic, "This land is your land" is nice but really ah arguably topical or something like that. I mean, yeah, I am pretty damn liberal, but I'm still not sure an anthem should be ... dare I say ... folksy?

And an American anthem shouldn't of course be borderline depressing like say Israel's national anthem, titled "The Hope" tho the tune is perfect for honoring a terrifically tragic set of events. (disclosure: I'm Jewish, my parents are from Israel.)

gimme the drinking song with lyrics written by an American lawyer in British Imperial custody, inspired by explosions and s---.

I voted for Battle Hymn of the Republic... just because I think it would be hilarious to watch ultra-secular types heads' explode at every baseball game. :p

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord:
He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored;
He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword:
His truth is marching on.

(Chorus)Glory, glory, hallelujah!
Glory, glory, hallelujah!
Glory, glory, hallelujah!
His truth is marching on.
Robert E. Lee was a traitor and should never have supported the Confederacy.

Also, no.

I'm not seeing a reason to switch from the Star Spangled Banner, really. Most of the other choices tend towards being non-secular or just not as well known.

Stars and Stripes Forever!!

I've been watching singing videos, and most seem to use an alternate set of lyrics:

Unfurl the banner and raise it to the sky!

Let Eagle cry from mountain high the never ending watch word of our nation.
Now behold this gem of old, the wonder of the Western sky.
The emblem of the brave and true, the flag of our liberty, flag of our destiny.
Red and white and starry blue stream out of the banner so high.

Every heart will sing a part as all across the land we raise our voices.
Far and near, for all to hear, the echo of a chorus grand!
Every heart will swell with pride to sing of our liberty, sing of our destiny.
As with joy we now extol the flag waving over the land.

Let us all hail the flag in one accord, let us cheer it with fervid elation.
It's the flag of the martyrs gone before, it's the flag of flags, the banner of our nation.
It's a beacon for all who share our dream of a new day without domination.
It's the hope of the peoples now oppressed and a symbol of their own emancipation.

Hooray for the flag of the free! May it wave as our standard forever.
The gem of the land and the sea, ever hoist it proud and high.
All nations remember the day when our fathers with mighty endeavor
proclaimed as they marched to the fray that by their might and by their right, it waves forever.

Every time the people hear the bell of freedom calling, (calling) one and all.
Every living patriotic citizen will answer, (answer) freedom's call.
Everywhere the bold and gallant souls come forth to bear the cross of duty.
Rising up as one to fight and die behind the flag of freedom's beauty.
Patriotic hearts will falter never, following the stars and stripes forever.
Marching to the quest, to east or west, they quell distress, the freed oppressed cry out.

Hooray for the flag of the free! May it wave as our standard forever.
The gem of the land and the sea, ever hoist it proud and high.
All nations remember the day when our fathers with might endeavor proclaimed as they marched to the fray,
"Defended by our might, ever standing for the right, it waves forever!"

Hail to the banner that waves the stars and stripes,
we give our lives for Stars and Stripes!

Different, but having a nice ring nonetheless :)
(Really, my only qualm -- I still don't know how I'd feel about an anthem you couldn't really sing as a solo)

Now I know this will probably sound horrible ASB, but how about following General Lafayette’s “Grand Tour of America”, Congress decides to adopt an Americanized version of “La Marseillaise”.

However the Battle Hymn of the Republic is one of my favorite songs. One of the only songs I know all the words to as well. I often sing it in the shower and on those occasions where I've imbibed more than I ought, I've been known to parade through the streets of Brooklyn in the middle of the night belting it out at the top of my lungs.

Despite my love for it though, it's not fitting for a national anthem.

Ha! Ditto on all counts. I'm probably not someone who'd be labeled as an "ultra secularist" since I'm what you might call a religious man, but as far as public affairs are concerned, yes, I'm definitely a secularist. Or maybe, more accurately, a pluralist.

"America the Beautiful" is the one I hear most often suggested as an alternative. Thematically, it's really very interesting - in many ways, the perfect anthem for liberal patriotism. It's all about loving America in spite of its flaws. Although the later verses are more explicit, even the first verse hints at it: "America, America, God shed his grace on thee" - implying that our country needs to be forgiven. Later on, of course, we get "God mend thine every flaw" and "May God thy gold refine": the process of fixing the country will be difficult, even painful. More beautiful sentiments could hardly be asked for in a national anthem, but again, there's way too much God stuff to make it an appropriate anthem for the entire country.

"SSB", on the other hand, is much more of a conservative's anthem: you can knock us down, but we're going to keep on fighting. Also a stirring theme, and though it's cliche, it really did move me during that 2001-2002 period where most of us did feel like the country had been knocked down. In an AH scenario where the idea of "national anthems" was more fluid, I've thought that it would be cool for Congress to name "SSB" the wartime anthem, choosing "America the Beautiful" or something else as the anthem for peacetime.

Robert E. Lee was a traitor and should never have supported the Confederacy.
Are you attacking my post, not because of who I am, but because of who my username is named after? I'm not sure if that's some convoluted form of ad hominem.

Anyway, I respectfully disagree; Robert E. Lee loved the United States, he just loved Virginia even more and could stand to see it invaded (or invade it himself) without doing something.

I said it before on this thread and I'll say it again --

It's the song of the Apocalypse.

19th century Evangelicals didn't believe in the apocalypse. They had a postmillennialist interpretation of the book of Revelations. Christ would return to earth after a 1,000 years (or long undefined period) golden age of peace. That's why they were reformers. It was their mission to transform the world into that golden age to hasten the 2nd coming. Satan would be defeated slowly through the expansion of this Godly Kingdom of Peace. No Apocalyptic battles on Earth.

Completely different from the apocalyptic interpretation that modern premillennialist evangelicals have. They forsee an apolayptic battle with the Devil, and of Christ appearing at the last minute to save the world after it seems all is lost. After which the golden age will commence. That's why they put the emphasis on conversion and see social justice as a distraction. The end is just around the corner and the little time left should be spent saving souls.

Last edited:
America the Beautiful: I personally like "Hail Columbia" better, but it really hasn't stood the test of time, and America the Beautiful has acquired far deeper meaning.