Upcoming AH books

JSmith

Banned
So Turtledove is making Joe Steele a full-length novel. I love his standalone books, regardless of their plausibility, so I'm quite excited.

http://uchronia.com/bib.cgi/label.html?id=turtjoeste

http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Steele-Ha...d_sim_b_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=0CSYDEH4AAQMJRSXADS1

Joe Steele Hardcover – April 7, 2015
by Harry Turtledove (Author)

New York Times bestselling author Harry Turtledove’s thought-provoking forays into the past have produced such intriguing “what-if” novels as Ruled Britannia, Days of Infamy, and Opening Atlantis. Now “the maven of alternate history” (The San Diego Union-Tribune) envisions the election of a United States President whose political power will redefine what the nation is—and what it means to be American….

President Herbert Hoover has failed America. The Great Depression that rose from the ashes of the 1929 stock market crash still casts its dark shadow over the country. Despairing and desperate, the American people hope one of the potential Democratic candidates—New York governor Franklin D. Roosevelt and California congressman Joe Steele—can get the nation on the road to recovery.

But fate snatches away one hope when a mansion fire claims the life of Roosevelt, leaving the Democratic party little choice but to nominate Steele, son of a Russian immigrant laborer who identifies more with the common man than with Washington D.C.’s wealthy power brokers.

Achieving a landslide victory, President Joe Steele wastes no time pushing through Congress reforms that put citizens back to work. Anyone who gets in his way is getting in the way of America, and that includes the highest in the land. Joe Steele’s critics may believe the government is gaining too much control, but they tend to find themselves in work camps if they make too much noise about it. And most people welcome strong leadership, full employment, and an absence of complaining from the newspapers—especially as Hitler and Trotsky begin the kind of posturing that seems sure to drag America into war.

untitled.png

Ugh...Turtledove, I know you're selling to the lowest common denominator, but why do you have make things so determinist. Making Stalin a highly competent president, yet paranoid and ultimately tragic figure like Nixon with dash of Jackson's homicidal tendencies would be so much better.

Kingpoleon

Banned
I personally would recommend Zhirinovsky's Russian Empire, which I purchased before I discovered it was free on here. It's one of the many things that inspired me to join these forums. On the Kindle app, it's quite cheap if you want the actual book by itself, without AH.commers' comments.

I personally would recommend Zhirinovsky's Russian Empire, which I purchased before I discovered it was free on here. It's one of the many things that inspired me to join these forums. On the Kindle app, it's quite cheap if you want the actual book by itself, without AH.commers' comments.

Thank you and welcome to AH! :D

And glad you enjoyed the book! I am really glad to hear of someone who discovered ZRE on Kindle, and I really appreciate you buying a copy!

And if it isn't to much to ask, if you could leave a review on Amazon. ;)

I'll check it out, but I need to do some finagling with my old debit card first (my boss pays me all in cash, which is a massive pain).

EDIT: I ended up picking it up on an unscheduled visit to Barnes and Nobles.

Last edited:
I hope this is ok to post here. I recently published CSS Appomattox. It is currently available on the Kindle and by late February I am hoping to release it for the Nook and Google Play stores as well.

Cover%2B-%2BAm%2BI%2Blearning%2BAnything.jpg

The CSS Appomattox is a work of alternative history fiction. In October 1862, the Confederacy is recognized by both France and Great Britain. Lincoln opens peace negotiations that effectively ended the American Civil War. Decades later, the young Confederacy forges an alliance with Spain – a fading empire desperately clinging to its remaining Caribbean colonies. The Confederate Military assigns the young crew of the airship CSS Appomattox to assist their country’s new ally. The Appomattox is despatched with a token Naval force to Puerto Rico. Here they will stand against the coming threat of an expansionist German Empire and its ally, the United States.

If you are interested, the book can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/CSS-Appomattox-Devareaux-Alternative-Adventure-ebook/dp/B00P0A4ACY/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Thanks,

Chris Stoesen

Last edited:
The Cuban Missile Crisis Invasion

I forgot to post about my historical study of Op Plan 316 - the planned invasion of Cuba during the missile crisis.

http://www.amazon.com/Fires-October-Planned-Invasion-Missile-ebook/dp/B00G1N4Z6A/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1421510971&sr=8-7&keywords=blaine+pardoe

This is a strictly historical book - using newly declassified materials to present the planned invasion of Cuba. I did do a chapter as to how the invasion might have played out as well.

One thing is for certain, this was never going to be the cakewalk that the US military envisioned. I doubt seriously after the losses we would have suffered in Cuba, if Vietnam would have ever happened.

Of course, I had to carry it out to the extreme -- so I presented Operation Sentinel, the simulated nuclear attack on the US in the autumn of 1962. A fascinating look at what WWIII would have looked like in the US.

Lots of fertile material here for alternate history fans.

Blaine Pardoe