Upcoming AH books

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by JSmith, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Grey Wolf Writer, Poet, Publisher, Cat-sitter

The British Lion is waiting for me in my local Post Office. It looked good and I pre-ordered the paperback, which didn't go live til last week.

Best Regards
    Grey Wolf

2. Thomas27 Kerala of Travancore

Summary:
    La Seconde Guerre mondiale est certainement l'événement le plus marquant des cent dernières années. Au Japon comme en Allemagne, des hommes vont tenter de sauver leur pays de la destruction vers laquelle semblent les mener leurs dictateurs. Manigances politiques, coups d’État et batailles apocalyptiques à travers l’Europe. Cette autre Seconde guerre mondiale, n’en sera pas moins sanglante et posera les bases d’un Nouveau Monde. Bienvenue « Au Bord de l’Abîme ». (Contient une centaine d'illustrations en noir et blanc).

3. Major Major Tired Old Man

Where everyone watches for two minutes in May
    Bitter Weeds -- An Alternate WW II

It's been about a month since I submitted A Man and a Plane to Amazon, and I hope you all buy a copy.

However, now that interest is stirring, I have a story of an alternate World War II on the market there:

http://www.amazon.com/Bitter-Weeds-...rnate-ebook/dp/B01COJPYNW/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

In this case, the divergence starts very small, and some of the changes are very subtle, but there is more yet to come. I have something like five volumes, and may do an aftermath one.

And then I can do some of my other AH timelines. The Frederick the Great one is bogged down, but if it looks encouraging and now that it is warmer, I should be able to go on.

4. Dave Howery laughs at your pain

the sequel to "Clash of Eagles", titled "Eagle in Exile", is coming out soon... in this one, our lost Roman is apparently going to try to unite the Cahokia and fast forward them into the Iron age to prepare for the inevitable Roman invasion... looking forward to it... :)

5. mudhead Little-Known Member

The New Statesman has a review by Joanna Bourke of Margaret MacMillan's book History's People, which contains elements of alternate history.

The reviewer is no fan of AH, but gives the book a favourable review (perhaps for logrolling or ideological reasons). Could be worth a look.

Full review here.

6. V-J Cold Blooded Meanness Kicked

I may just try it.

7. Major Major Tired Old Man

8. KACKO Well-Known Member

I liked first book and just got second from my local library. It's not beech time, when I read most but well... Nothing else to do as for now I am done with garden and weather is not so inciting for bicycling trips. :D

9. Major Major Tired Old Man

10. Thande As a 5th period halogen, I Donor

Four new books from Sea Lion Press, including Agent Lavender, Not An English Word and a version of Arose From Out The Azure Main as well as an all-new story about a successful Jacobite rebellion.

11. Laqueesha The Right Honourable and Quasi-Learned Laq'

Placentashire, Placentaland, Placenta Kingdom
    Underground Airlines, new book coming out this summer. Set in present day, when ACW never happened.

PachPachis and Qhapaq Inka like this.
  12. DaleCoz Well-Known Member

My sort of AH novella The Wrath of Athena is available in Kindle and (small-around 80 pages) paperback formats, with other formats coming soon. I workshopped Wrath in the Writers' section of this forum, so you can check out a rough draft version at

https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=360111

The buy link at Amazon is:

https://www.amazon.com/Wrath-Athena-Snapshot-Dale-Cozort-ebook/dp/B01F9PS2VE

The published version is a major step up from the workshopped one, much more tightly written, with stronger characterization and a lot of little touches that help establish a sense of place.

13. mudhead Little-Known Member

The New Statesman (16 May) has a piece by James Cooray Smith: Lines of Duty: Tales of the Jacobites, and other alternative successions. Quite interesting, about possible different successions, and dynasties, in England and the UK.

Full article here.

14. mudhead Little-Known Member

David Means: Hystopia

A new novel set in an alternate USA where JFK has survived multiple assassination attempts, and the Vietnam war still drags on.

The book (haven't read it, just the review by Laura Miller in The Guardian) is set in Michigan, a state given largely over to traumatised war veterans, and concerns the efforts of the Psych Corps to deal with these casualties.

Review is somewhat mixed, read it here

15. mudhead Little-Known Member

Manchester Metropitan University is running an exhibition Making post-war Manchester: visions of an unmade city, which is basically an alternate history of what might have been in terms of architecture and town planning. It runs until 24 June

Guardian review of it here.

Looks pretty interesting, possibly worth visiting if you're local.

16. Major Major Tired Old Man

17. Dave Howery laughs at your pain

the final book in the Temeraire series by Naomi Novak will be out pretty soon... even though it violates one of the standard rules of AH (a huge POD that doesn't seem to change much, leads to the same nations/people that were around in OTL), it has been a hell of a good series...

wilcoxchar likes this.
  18. wilcoxchar Free City Fanatic

Definitely. I've only read up through Tongues of Serpents so far, but it's an awesome series.

19. Major Major Tired Old Man

The Ten Just Men -- An Alternate WWII

Now available on Amazon.com for your reading pleasure. The Second World War is coming to an end, but there are still some surprises and sudden changes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HXQ21F0

20. Thande As a 5th period halogen, I Donor

Nice title reference.