Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Stays Neutral

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • Gets Anschluss, while rests gets Puppeted

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • Joins the Allies

Votes: 19 31.7%

• Total voters
In an alternate scenario, where Charles I of Austria was allowed to stay in power, and he reforms the crumbling Austria-Hungary, into the United States of Greater Austria (Wilson is ignored even more ITTL). The New Federation has to pay a debt like Germany.

upload_2018-10-20_19-29-34.png

(NOTE: Polish and Romanian territory would go back to their countries, and Yugoslavia still forms without Slovenia)

(NOTE: not an accurate map of the Federation, but best I can imagine it)

Now it's 1930s. Hitler still rises to power. What does he does with Charles I (who lives longer in this Timeline) and The United States of Greater Austria?

How would Charles I react to Hitler and the Axis Powers

How would Charles I react to Hitler and the Axis Powers

He is too busy and/or exhausted from all those independence movements the Czechs, Slovaks, Slovenes and even the Hungarians have (probably up to several civil wars) to actually do anything about Germany.

And as the others already wrote, WWII and maybe even Hitler coming to power might have been butterflied away entirely.

Why would Czechoslovakia merge with Austria and Hungary?

Well if Czechoslovakia never emerged from Austria-Hungary then....

As Albidoom hinted above holding the USGA together would have been tough but likely had it survived until the 1930s then it would have a profoundly stabilising effect on Mitteleuropa. This would very likely have aborted a lot of the sort of moves any would be German dictator might make, for one it provides a large trading block for the Balkan nations to do trade deals with. It would also likely at the same time look it was on the verge of meltdown giving lots of apparent opportunity for interference and the backing of local fascist/nationalist groups.

I would imagine it as the unstable stabilising centre of central Europe, sadly I doubt I have the detailed knowledge of the political characters of the four or five main nations to pull off a convincing TL but I think it would be fascinating even if it did doom before birth The World at War documentary series.

So basically, Germany lost WWI, but Austria-Hungary didn't lose (or suffered a very limited defeat, with just border territories going to Romania, Poland, Serbia and Italy), right ?

Croatia would stay with Austria in such case. Of course, only in loose federation.

I don't see how is possible for USGA to stay out of WW2.

I'm going to say neutral for as long as they can manage it. Although when the Allies invade Italy, I could see them trying to 'help' by 'liberating' South Tyrol.

They might also "help" the Soviets when they invade Romania, by "liberating" Transylvania. Or depending on point of view, "save" the Transylvanians from Communism.

BigBlueBox

Banned
Hitler hated the Habsburgs and if they were still in power when he came into power he would destroy them at the earliest opportunity.

Ironically, I can see Hitler wanting to invade or destroy Austria-Hungary, and managing to unite all the ethnic groups of the Habsburg Empire (who were previously at each other's throats) against him, ensuring the survival of the Empire as a united culture that fought off the barbarian Nazis.

This federation would likely have a close alliance with France and play the same geopolitical role in interwar politics as a larger Czechoslovakia. The more Wilson is ignored the better, he's probably one of the worst foreign policy presidents of the 20th century. Even with chaotic internal politics, it still provides an important counterweight to Germany and Italy.

What this state loses in homogeneity compared to OTL it gains in geopolitical and economic viability. Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia might have pretended to been nation-states on paper, but they just functioned as smaller, more unstable versions of Austria-Hungary. The Czechs in Czechoslovakia played an analogous role to Germans and Magyars in the double monarchy, with sizable Germans, Hungarians, Poles, and Ukrainians/Rusyns minorities and a Slovak population that increasingly thought of itself as a minority.

Expanding on my earlier idea. I can see Austria-Hungary recovering economically (even though there is ethnic strife), and then Hitler trying to woo the Austrians into an Anschluss (where the Germans would dominate the other groups even more)... and the Austrians being quite happy with their democracy and economy, and wanting nothing to do with the Nazis.

Surprised that most People picked Neutral, since I would think that there was no way it could stay Neutral with an Agressive Nazi Germany at its doorstep, even with its size

Steyr-Daimler-Puch, Böhler, Lohner-Werke, Skoda Works, Zbrojovka Brno, Česká zbrojovka, ČKD, Aero Vodochody, Avia, Letov Kbely, Manfréd Weiss Steel and Metal Works, FÉG, Danuvia, Ganz Works, MÁVAG, Repülőgépgyár Rt., Stabilimento Tecnico Triestino...

Can we just take a moment to bask in how much of a total chad the Common Army could be in WWII.

Last edited: