Under Center: The NFL In The New Millennium

Baseball
Add Jed York to that list too. Screw him.
Any who, how's SF doing?

Denise Debartolo and John York are still the principal owners and operators at this time. Jed York doesn't have any reason to be "Impeached". He is, again, another legacy owner (or will be) who operates well in a lucrative market.

The Niners are up and down, stuck in a division with the newly-powerful Rams and the Seahawks. Jason Campbell is providing them with strong QB work, but his interceptions get in the way of any real progress, and it doesn't help that he doesn't have much of a team around him except Joe Thomas, who is still his Hall of Famer on a bad team self. At this point, they're only visible because of Spiral, the HBO Show starring a fictional QB-WR brother duo that plays for the 49ers, along with a fictional head coach and fictional half-back. The marketing for the team increases its popularity but doesn't change the underwhelming real-world performance.

I'd also like to talk about baseball while I'm at this point. Madison Bumgarner ends up with Clayton Kershaw on the Dodgers and produces a young dynasty that wins the 2010 World Series (they just drafted this quiet guy, Mike, from Millville), and will compete with three other powerhouses, the Albert Pujols-led Cardinals in the NL (who won the '04, '08, and '09 Series, and competed in the '07 Series) and the Bill Beane headed A's (competed in the '05 and '10 Series, won the '07 Series) along with the veteran-laden Blue Jays (competed in the '09 and '04, won in '06) in AL, for further championships in the future.

I wish we could. I know the fans would impeach him. Speaking of which, how are the presidents doing?

Fans in San Fran put up with him. It's not like Dan Snyder where he will bring legal action against you for breathing the wrong way in his direction. Well, it's Bush and Obama so far, not like we can change that. I was originally going to have Roger Goodell become a politician in New York (his family includes several Republican politicians), but then I decided the likelihood of him leaving the NFL to become a junior Representative from upstate New York was slim to none. I plan on having a certain player run for office later on, but other than that I see not very much changing until 2016. Trump was too much of an independent, random variable to be repeated. Plus, I see the FFL having Trump written all over it. I'll either have Hillary, Romney or Jeb win in 2016.

Chapter Eleven, Part Three: 2010 NFL Season Standings
Been meaning to post this:

2010 NFL Season Standings:

NFC East
Giants: 11-5
Eagles: 9-7
Redskins: 7-9
Cowboys: 4-12

AFC East
Stallions: 11-5
Patriots: 10-6
Jets: 5-11
Dolphins: 3-12-1

NFC North
Packers: 10-5-1
Vikings: 8-8
Lions: 7-9
Bears: 4-11-1

AFC North
Ravens: 10-6
Browns: 9-7
Steelers: 4-12
Bengals: 3-13

NFC South
Saints: 12-4
Panthers: 9-7
Buccaneers: 3-13
Falcons: 1-15

AFC South
Colts: 13-3
Titans: 11-5
Jaguars: 3-13
Texans: 2-14

NFC West
Rams: 10-6
Seahawks: 9-7
49ers: 4-12
Cardinals: 4-12

AFC West
Raiders: 14-2
Broncos: 10-6
Chargers: 5-10-1
Chiefs: 3-13

Chapter Eleven, Part Four: Luckmania, The Fever Pitch, The 2011 NFL Draft
April 8, 2011: Luckmania reaches a fever pitch as he appears on three sports shows in the span of two hours, after an appearance on the Today Show and then, later that night, the Tonight Show.

April 15, 2011: The choices for the Redskins new name is narrowed down. It is now down to the Renegades and Washington Football Club, the two biggest vote-getters in the competition so far.

April 28-30, 2011: With the #1 overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select Heisman-winning QB Andrew Luck out of Stanford. With the #2 overall pick, the Houston Texans select QB Cam Newton out of Clemson. With the #3 overall pick, the Las Vegas Express (from Cincinnati), select DE JJ Watt out of Wisconsin. With the #9 overall pick, the Baltimore Ravens (from San Fransisco) select QB Andy Dalton of Houston. With the #12 overall pick, the Washington Football Club selects CB Patrick Peterson of Florida. With the #15 overall pick, the Denver Broncos select LB Von Miller out of Oklahoma. With the #24 overall pick, the Los Angeles Rams select WR Julio Jones of Notre Dame. With the #29 overall pick, the Indianapolis Colts select DE Cameron Jordan out of USC. (Colin Kaepernick would play both football and baseball in college, impressing more as a power-hitting pitcher, and would ultimately be drafted by the Detroit Tigers. He would make the majors within a year and a have a good, not great career, eventually making an attempt at being a dual sport athlete, but I get ahead of myself.)

With Montreal winning in the poll, and San Diego and Amsterdam tying, I'm going to post a run-off between Amsterdam and San Diego. Here's hoping the Admirals come through.

Chapter Eleven, Part Five: Federal Don, Trade Of The Year, & Tom Touches Down
May 3, 2011: Donald Trump is announced as an investor in the FFL, hoping to own a team either in New York, his hometown, or Miami, near his Mar-A-Lago estate. He was previously an investor in the USFL and is a close friend of McMahon’s.

May 21, 2011: In a blockbuster trade, the Atlanta Falcons trade veteran five-time Pro Bowler LB Keith Brooking and two first-round picks (one of their own and another from the New England Patriots) to the San Fransisco 49ers for four-time Pro Bowler OT Joe Thomas and a third-round pick. Thomas has been named twice to the All-Pro Second Team, and twice to the First Team, and nearly won the 2007 Offensive Rookie of the Year Award, losing to Green Bay Packers WR Calvin Johnson.

June 4, 2011: Tom Brady announces his retirement from football after several seasons that were either injury-shortened or made up of subpar play, at the age of 33. “Touchdown Tom” said in his press conference:

“It pains me to say that I must leave the sport I love. But I have to go because the toll it has taken on me pains me so much more. This game has been, for my whole life, who I was as a human being. I must now move on and find more in life. With my wife, Morgan [Morgan Matlock, former Miss Texas], and my two kids, Patrick and Sarah, I will carry on, and find a new life outside of football.”

He signs on as an NFL analyst with ESPN later that day and begins regularly appearing on Skip Bayless’s show and Colin Cowherd’s show.

tenor.gif

I hope SF at least gets their act together.... I do not trust Campbell.

Trust in Campbell. There’s a rebuild, but it’s a result of a mentality that wants to win within three years. Joe Thomas was traded only because they are drafting offensive lineman like crazy, and they plan to continue to do so with the two acquired picks.

Chapter Eleven, Part Six: Bloody Ben, Bronco Brotherhood, & A Minor Note
August 13, 2011: Ben Roethlisberger is involved in an altercation outside of a bar in Denver, after he was attacked by another patron of the bar, bodybuilder Landon Erickson, over a girl they both hit on. Erickson threw a punch at Roethlisberger, hit his eye, and then the two began trading blows until Erickson was on the ground and Roethlisberger began repeatedly punching him in the face, three times until he was defenseless. Erickson would later die of his injuries. Roethlisberger is arrested for involuntary manslaughter. His case is debated by many legal experts, as it revolves around whether or not Roethlisberger would have been committing assault if Erickson had not died. Some argue that due, to the severity of the beating, he would have been, but others say that, since he was acting in self-defense, he wouldn’t have been found guilty.

August 14, 2011: Ben Roethlisberger hires the same legal team that had previously defended him to help him in this trial, as he is booked and his trial date is announced for September 2. He is suspended indefinitely without pay by the NFL, due to violating the player policy, and deactivated by the Denver Broncos, although the team is visibly more behind Roethlisberger now, and refuse to release him. Teammates say that he is not a man who would intentionally murder, and his head coach, Gary Kubiak (hired after Mike Shanahan retired), tells the press “We are with Ben.” John Elway, Roethlisberger’s idol and the Broncos’ GM, says “Ben Roethlisberger will be proven not guilty, and will come back stronger than ever.”

A Minor Note From The Author

While I'm thinking about this, I would like to address the uniforms. The Denver Broncos began wearing their iconic "Orange Crush" jerseys once again, in 2008 and brought back their old logo as well. The logo is updated to be more stylized, and the uniform becomes one of the most popular in the league. The New York Giants bring back some of the components of their older uniforms, including the red neckline, although their lighter shade of blue is kept, while the red line on their helmets is made thicker. The Seattle Seahawks create a new, revolutionary uniform kit, with primarily neon green helmets, wide feather designs on the shoulders, a dark blue primary jersey color, and a larger, slicker logo, called the "Charging Hawk", on the helmet. The Express have changed their logo to a stylized man riding a horse, and they take up a very light powder blue with an electric yellow secondary color, similar to that of the Chargers, but lighter. The Toronto Stallions take up a burgundy primary color, and royal blue and platinum secondary, along with a strong horse logo. The Washington F.C. keeps the gold and red colors but replaces the logo with a red cursive "W" (rather similar to the Nationals' logo, although ITTL they're the Senators and take the block W logo) encircled in red and gold.

Last edited: