Unbuilt Britain

Planned extension to Portsmouth Harbour, in the face of the growing size of Steamships, from 1861.
(Original plans to be found in the city museum.)
Gosport1861_zpsa9abbc2b.png

Planned extension to Portsmouth Harbour, in the face of the growing size of Steamships, from 1861.
(Original plans to be found in the city museum.)
View attachment 831254

What i've never understood about this plan is the coal stores are on made ground rather than on existing shore which massively increases the amount of material needed and pushes the whole construction out further than it needs to be.

Also, no sign of dry docks, which are kind of useful.........

Additional information

2023-05-14 20_07_21-Window.png

Last edited:

Devvy

Donor
West Midlands:
(nice little Edgbaston Expressway just blasting through there!)
westmids.JPEG

Leicester:
Seemingly a load of pedways...
leicester.JPEG

And finally Newcastle:
Apparently widespread demolishing of the city centre in favour of motorways. <facepalm>
newcastle.JPEG

All out of a book from a 1973 study about city centre redevelopments, and the local government plans for redeveloping.

In Coventry the blitz was used as the excuse to built the pre-war planned Precinct despite that the area marked for it was not as bombed as much as the Council would have you believe.
Much like America Britain demolish swaths of their cities to make way for new developments, motorways, and so forth.

In Newcastle it's not just the post war planners that are at fault for destroying things needlessly. The Victorian East Coast Mainline Railway cuts through the 12th century castle that gives the place its name. Only the Keep and a Gatehouse remain.

OIP.VX2oBlySrNT_7pMkbQrTSAHaE6
OIP.Z4F3SzpLyWxBx6OrEx_o1gHaFj
260px-60163_Tornado_at_Newcastle_31_Jan_09_pic_4.jpg

Last edited:
Leicester:
Seemingly a load of pedways...
The Leicester plan looks quite old. It misses St Margaret’s Way (the A6) which opened in the late ‘70s (78?) but was planned much earlier (to link the the large council estates to the north of the city and provide a better through route for the A6 out of Leicester). It also seems to build around the Clock Tower - in particular where the Haymarket shopping centre was built (opening in ‘73). It has the Leicester inner ring, including the Southgate’s Underpass (opened in ‘68). I’d say this is probably am early part of the 60’s plans by Konrad Smigielski. He had very ambitious plans (and mucho mucho lots of concrete) including monorail, pedestrian ways etc.

The main thing I noticed is how incredibly flat Liverpool is. All very low rise.
There's not many high rise buildings along the waterfront, they're mostly around the city centre just to be left of where that photo shows. You can't see the Graces in that photo either, because they block the view of the cathedrals from further up the river. I'd say the photo is probably taken somewhere around Port Sunlight or Eastham.

Liverpool does, however, remain the most beautiful city in the world.
Liverpool-U.K.jpg