Chapter One
Triumphant: A Davy Crockett Presidency

crockett-david.jpg

A man of the people, David “Davy” Crockett began his career in politics in 1821 as a member of the Tennessee General Assembly before becoming a member of the United States House of Representatives in 1827. Crockett became known for fighting for the fair rights for settlers in land dealings and for voting against President Jackson’s Indian Removal Bill, the sole vote from the Tennessee delegation. Crockett would lose the 1831 election to William Fitzgerald. At first this seemed to be a failure, but as Crockett would soon discover, it was really his great chance.

From Charles McCool’s Backwoods President, published in 2007.

Simply known as the Anti-Jackson Party, the National Republican party scouted and invited the Tennessee native to the National Republican Convention in Baltimore, Maryland in December of 1831. Crockett accepted, himself being an enemy of Andrew Jackson. Crockett surprisingly had a large number of supporters who saw him as the best chance of beating the current president. Crockett was a frontiersman who became a politician and was well known for his passion. The other candidate at the convention was Henry Clay, the delegate from Kentucky. Clay had run for the office of the president of the United States in 1824, and had set his sights on the oval office once again.

Crockett supports convinced the convention delegates that the Tennessean had the best chance at beating Jackson due to the “Common Man” spin they could place on the former representative. Clay would be sidelined yet again, the nomination swinging to Crockett. His running mate was Richard Rush of Pennsylvania to create a more balanced ticket.

From Andrew Williams’s Rising Star: The Presidency of Davy Crockett, published in 2018.

The election of 1832 proved to be the first real test of the National Republican Party. The National Republicans campaigned on the continued survival of the Second Bank of the United States and for the implementation of internal improvements. Crockett constantly spoke out about the hypocrisy of the anti-elitism of Jackson. Jackson was a rich land owning slave owner in Tennessee, which Crockett used against him. National Republicans also called to attention Jackson’s shortsighted economic policies, claiming that a panic was inevitable if the national bank was closed. Jacksonian support of wildcat banks was called “irresponsible” and “a liability” without oversight from the Second Bank of the United States. Crockett supporters also clamored for greater unity, which they said that the internal improvements would further connect the nation. The biggest break for the National Republican party came in late August as Andrew Jackson died on August 7th, 1832 due to his multiple health issues, propelling the Speaker of the House Andrew Stevenson to the office, forcing him to serve as acting president. Stevenson was next in the line of succession due to the resignation of the pro tempore Tazewell in July. David Crockett easily trounced the now deceased Jackson’s running mate Martin Van Buren in November. David “Davy” Crockett would take office in March of 1833, becoming the first National Republican president.

From Charles McCools’s Backwoods President, published in 2007.

TRURqyhwaptMWHf7vOALGND--3ilBnDrZ-zpWKo1DCMYoVM3eFOph4lO4_KSTCLY6rNI7iSSjHjDen8Z_oeQKLs7QkdBU_fgm5lngtuLt-ZX5o1ju4pX3x87Um-5EMEmvtCuYdEF

Andrew Stevenson, Acting President of the United States of America.

The Acting President would have to face the ever growing Nullification Crisis in the Palmetto state. Stevenson, a staunch Jacksonian Democrat, opposed the movement. On January 16th, 1833, Stevenson sent his Force Bill to congress. Calhoun, the former Vice President, opposed the bill and instead offered resolutions contending that the Federal system joined “free and independent States in a bond of union and mutual advantages” which could be preserved by two ways: by member consent or a “government of the sword.” Calhoun thus had the ear of many of the Southerners in Congress. Daniel “Black Dan” Webster, born of New Hampshire, senator of Massachusetts, national embodiment of New England, frequently debated Calhoun. Webster countered the fiery orator’s speeches of a grand past by instead speaking of a grand future where a nationalistic democracy could thrive. As the nation teetered towards conflict, Stevenson was inaugurated as the 8th president of the United States on January 29th, 1833. In the words of Chief Justice John Marshall, “in this time of crisis, our Union could not afford the notion of a pretender in the presidential manor.” In February, two bills were passed; Henry Clay’s Compromise Bill and Stevenson’s Force Bill. Calhoun returned to his native state and convinced South Carolina that Nullification meant war and ruination. The state no longer called for secession and instead nullified the Force Bill. The Crisis had finally come to an end.

From Jennifer McCintosh’s Baptism of Fire: Stevenson & The Nullification Crisis, published in 2014.

Shortly after his election, Crockett was faced with a number of issues that failed to be concluded during the seven month long Stevenson administration, including the Nullification Crisis in South Carolina. Prior to his inauguration, Crockett feared his first act as president would be to wage a war upon South Carolina. Thankfully, the issue was resolved on March 15th, 1833: eleven days after Crockett took residence in the Presidential Mansion. One of the first things Crockett did was to renew the charter for the Second Bank of the United States by the end of April. Crockett however would anger members of his party by vetoing a tariff. Crockett, most likely stemming from his western background, opposed the tariff. But Crockett remained supportive of other measures garnered by his new found party, including the brainchild of Henry Clay, the American System. The new president hoped to build a series of canals to further connect the nation. Crockett announced that the Federal Government would take control of the funding and repairs of the National Road, as well as extending it to Illinois.

The most important issue that Crockett would have to deal with in his term, was with the Native American tribes.

From Andrea Sim’s History of America: 1829-1850, published in 1998.

The Crockett Cabinet

Vice President: Richard Rush

Secretary of State: Henry Clay

Secretary of Treasury: Thomas Ewing

Secretary of War: John Bell

Attorney General: John J. Crittenden

Postmaster General: Francis Granger

Secretary of the Navy: George Badger

Last edited:
Nice! Honestly, I was rather hoping to see Crockett beat Jackson fair and square (maybe smiling at him until Jackson's face melted, or some such :p )

But I will be watching this with interest all the same; it will be interesting if this can lead to a much stronger ajd better organized National Republican Party (or whatever they end up eventually Calli themselves)

Also, i noticed that Webster was referred to as "Black Dan" in this text - does this indicate that his reputetion suffers in the ATL in comparison to OTL? Though it was one of his nicknames in OTL, it's not one of those you hear the most often.

Nice! Honestly, I was rather hoping to see Crockett beat Jackson fair and square (maybe smiling at him until Jackson's face melted, or some such :p )

But I will be watching this with interest all the same; it will be interesting if this can lead to a much stronger ajd better organized National Republican Party (or whatever they end up eventually Calli themselves)

Also, i noticed that Webster was referred to as "Black Dan" in this text - does this indicate that his reputetion suffers in the ATL in comparison to OTL? Though it was one of his nicknames in OTL, it's not one of those you hear the most often.
I wasn't sure if Crockett could still beat Jackson head on, but I figured he could defeat Van Buren.

As for black Dan, I took the nick name from a history book. Not necessarily a preview of his future reputation.

Chapter Two
America has had a rocky history with the indigenous peoples who called the continent home. Conflict over land has been in the New World since Jamestown. During Jackson’s term, many tribes such as the Creek and the Choctaw had been “persuaded” to leave the American South-East and relocate to what would be called Indian Territory. When Crockett took office, he took a different stance. When Worcester V. Georgia took place, the president vowed to support the decision. Crockett sent a letter to the governor of Georgia to “Back the Hell off.” The Cherokee nation had a currently standing treaty with the federal government, and Davy Crockett had no plans to break it.

From Debra Dobbs’s History of the Cherokee, published 2009.

Crockett also attempted to renegotiate a new treaty with the Seminole tribe, but lacked the backing of congress. Crockett was instead forced to watch as the tribe was “encouraged” to leave Florida for the west. Crockett failed to repeal the Indian Removal Act, but did manage to get congress to pass a Seminole Amnesty Act which offered any Seminole who wished to surrender would face no harsh punishments and could be given American citizenship. Crockett’s hope was that it would end the latest Indian War with little bloodshed. Instead, the offer was mostly rejected. Crockett watched as the tribes waged war with the Florida Militia. The president is said to have told his wife Elizabeth Patton Crockett “I spent most of my career opposing Jackson, yet his will is stronger than mine even in death.” Many of the Seminoles would flee deep into the Everglades to evade capture. The event that would come to be called the Trail of Tears by Native American historians saw the loss of power for most of the Civilized Tribes east of the Mississippi river. After Crockett’s time in office ended, many Cherokee would come to appreciate his efforts to preserve their sovereignty.

From Dale Gribble’s Trail of Tears, published in 2000.

While the first half of President Crockett’s term was filled with crises, the remainder was considerably less tense. The National Road continued to be extended and repaired. Crockett, in response to the allegations of Nicholas Biddle’s corruption, removed the President of the Second Bank of the United States. Biddle was replaced with the Jeffersonian Secretary of the Treasury Albert Gallatin in early 1834.

Supreme Court Justice William Johnson died on August 4th, 1834. On January 6th, 1835 Crockett would make his first appointment to the supreme court: Lemuel Shaw of Massachusetts. The Senate confirmed the nomination on January 9th.

s4SNV7GKL-xtgLbxvoqZ62Zyo8JujAf0rAcAvX5Dq0gzadwddo3VSfSvOAiq8GOhVg4mEE6ok6WP74BrHDldrH1gAilyqvv4QmY31EGTf7XTw5zImwIAombWTkTmLiq88WS_hjXp

Lemuel Shaw

1836, the next presidential election, was on the horizon and fast approaching. According to contemporary sources, Davy Crockett apparently asked who would be the presidential candidate at the National Republican Convention in March. The authenticity of this is debatable, though Crockett did seem to have a low view of his own time in the Presidential Mansion. Nonetheless, Crockett was selected as the candidate for the 1836 election with Richard Rush returning as his running mate. The Democratic National Convention met in Baltimore, Maryland in May. The Democratic Party nominated Martin Van Buren, Jackson’s running mate before his untimely passing. Richard M. Johnson was selected to be his running mate. However, many in the party also had doubts about the ability of Van Buren’s electability after his loss to Crockett in 1832. “If Van Buren couldn't beat that coonskin cap wearing nobody from the backwoods in ‘32, who thinks he could beat him at the height of his popularity?”- Missouri Senator Thomas Hart Benton, May 21st, 1835. Benton announced his own bid for the presidency with Roger B. Taney as his running mate under the banner of the American Party in the 1836 election.

As the parties geared up for the election season, Crockett was partly distracted by seeking the replacement of former Justice Gabriel Duvall, who had retired in January of 1835. Crockett put forth the nomination of Henry St. George Tucker Sr. of Virginia in December of 1835, but was rejected by Congress. In February of 1836, Crockett put forward the nomination of Archibald Stuart (also of Virginia), whose appointment was ratified. Crockett also was forced to seek yet another replacement; in July, Chief Justice John Marshall passed away at the age of 79. In a rather shocking move, Crockett nominated former president of the United States John Quincy Adams. Congress confirmed Adams in April, who, despite his misgivings, accepted.

P6O2JbbTCliEQqePkNPVkHaCX7tmDsNggO3LMrxAtY-M6ctK70pi6rtCC0F69YshgGqlUAN8nxb7grOzKsZuLQIbGOpzjZ-5BRmMlBoEYT3hkEQgHvS7CR0u8eldZavB3xQrZAtY

Archibald Stuart

RJuZIs5QIn2fwu-xBZZ-LA7hGYMKudDakYprP7ZmfSUM-5d6_gPUGyeuYBNBbLzdnseL5JOswJDWizu0x-nihy_2LcKMtCHWVRocjStlLvNvB22bzJq4ZhgFzC57be0RfOBVIDn_

John Quincy Adams

The election of 1836 went remarkably well for the National Republicans.

During the election, Benton and the American Party took the states of Missouri, Arkansas, Georgia, Mississippi, and Alabama, with a total of 29 electoral votes.

Van Buren and the Democrats took the states of New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and South Carolina, with a total of 65 electoral votes.

Crockett and the National Republicans took Virginia, North Carolina, Louisiana, Tennessee, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Massachusetts, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and Maryland, with a total of 162 electoral votes. Thus, Davy Crockett won a second term.

1836 Presidential Candidates

E3wD_KWyoKzN-8S4VDgRqJ_tHgiia3DLFLqdiJ1lCa6a2OHjn0LUEKCgCZNpzF0TBWL3R3C7naxBXIq_Swzt3ce2zwOQoNK721TDxlG0CN_YxmVYErq3HWKOwvUQ_IijmDkP8c2Y

Nominee: Davy Crockett
Party: National Republican
Running Mate: Richard Rush
States Carried: 17

220px-Martin_Van_Buren_by_Mathew_Brady_c1855-58.jpg

Nominee: Martin Van Buren
Party: Democratic
Running Mate: Richard M. Johnson
States Carried: 4

220px-Senator_Thomas_Hart_Benton_at_National_Portrait_Gallery_IMG_4408.JPG

Nominee: Thomas Hart Benton
Party: American
Running Mate: Roger B. Taney
States Carried: 5​

Last edited:
Andrew Jackson (Democrat) 7th
1829- August 7th, 1832

Andrew Stevenson (Democrat) 8th
August 7th, 1832- January 29th, 1833*
January 29th, 1833- March 4th, 1833

Davy Crockett (National Republican) 9th
1833-

* served as Acting President

I wonder what Cricket's relationship with Sam Houston is like. Though Houston was a Democrat, I could see the two actually getting along (or hating one another. One if those two for sure :p )

One point, though. I'm not entirely sure that anyone would have offered the Seminole, or any native, citizenship if they surrendered. At this time, Native American tribes were seen as sovereign - or at least semi-soveriegn - nations. Even in OTL it took until the 1920s for them to be granted citizenship.

Possibly something else could be used to sweeten the pit?

I wonder what Cricket's relationship with Sam Houston is like. Though Houston was a Democrat, I could see the two actually getting along (or hating one another. One if those two for sure :p )
One thing they will most certainly agree on is opposition to the Indian removal act. They would probably but heads over economic issues though.
(Intresting enough, in another timeline of mine, Crockett was the vice president of Houston).

Well, since Crockett never went to Texas, I wonder what comes of the Texas Revolution, now that it doesn't have some of its important heroes
Texas will be expanded on in the next update for this timeline. However, don't expect many earth shattering butterflies from the lack of Crockett at the Alamo!

100 million dollars!
*Dr evil pose*
In all honesty, it's a good chance that it could go either or. Still haven't made up my mind.
Can you please keep Texas independent? Haven't seen too many TLs where America is the focal point and Texas remains independent. Texas doesn't have to be strong, either

One point, though. I'm not entirely sure that anyone would have offered the Seminole, or any native, citizenship if they surrendered. At this time, Native American tribes were seen as sovereign - or at least semi-soveriegn - nations. Even in OTL it took until the 1920s for them to be granted citizenship
Part of the reason Congress even passed it was because they knew the tribe would likely refuse the offer. Heck, the seminoles were mostly offended by the offer. It seemed like a down grade.

Crockett was desperate for any move to help the tribe.

At least he managed to save the Cherokee nation in Georgia.

Can you please keep Texas independent? Haven't seen too many TLs where America is the focal point and Texas remains independent. Texas doesn't have to be strong, either
Speaking of Texas; if you're interested, I recommend reading @Sicarius 's timeline "The Stars at Night: A Texas timeline." It's really great and it's what helped get me into alternate history.

As for your request, I'm leaning towards an independent Texas.

Part of the reason Congress even passed it was because they knew the tribe would likely refuse the offer. Heck, the seminoles were mostly offended by the offer. It seemed like a down grade.

Crockett was desperate for any move to help the tribe.

At least he managed to save the Cherokee nation in Georgia.

Well, the nice thing is that in OTL, many of the Seminole were also granted land in the south central central part of the state after the First Seminole War. These areas had yet seen little white settlement.

Perhaps a similar deal is offered in the ATL which could see the tribe better established and able to hold on to these lands in later conflicts.

I do appreciate that the timeline acknowledges that Crockett was strikingly progressive for his day on the topic of American Indian rights during his time as an elected official. On the subject of Indian removal, he said this:

I believed it was a wicked, unjust measure.... I voted against this Indian bill, and my conscience yet tells me that I gave a good honest vote, and one that I believe will not make me ashamed in the day of judgement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Crockett#United_States_House_of_Representatives

Well, since Crockett never went to Texas, I wonder what comes of the Texas Revolution, now that it doesn't have some of its important heroes
Unless there are a lot of butterflies affecting it, Crockett not going to the Alamo would mean there would be about 20-30 fewer men defending it. Not a significant number. Crockett not going wouldn't change Bowie and Travis being there... but once Bowie collapses, Travis would be in sole command without even Crockett to debate with him.