To wear two Crowns an Anglo-French timeline

Chapter 1
On 1194, Mathilde of Brittany is married to Frederick of Austria with a generous dowry with 35,000 of silver to end the incarceration of Richard I and for that reason, Philippe Auguste would demand the hand of Eleanor of Brittany to his son Louis, the son of Philippe Auguste and Isabella of Hainault to guarantee peace between the Angevins and the Capetians.

Mathilde of Brittany would reinvigorate the Babenbergs as she would have produced two sons, Henry b. 1200 and Gottfried b. 1208 and two daughters, Matilde b. 1202 and Margaret b. 1206.

On 1213, Mathilde of Brittany the regent of Austria for her sons Henry and Gottfried would reveal to Eleanor that her marriage with Louis VIII would not have been possible had she never existed as the Holy Roman Emperor would never allow her marriage with the French as she was affianced to her late husband and she talked about their sister, Margaret of Brittany who was born prior to their mother’s death in 1201 as well as their brother, Conan V, Margaret is affianced to the Duke of Savoy.

Despite having difficulties with the regency, she was quite happy of the regency as it gone through tough times when her brother in law was difficult to deal with.

Mathilde of Brittany would betroth her own daughter, Mathilde to the impressive Konrad the Curly of Silesia and her other daughter, Margaret to the future count of Burgundy, the son of Joanna I of Burgundy, she would remain calm and living as the regent to Austria but her brother in law would have two daughters only, named Margaret(1204) and Hedwig(1210), who would have a lower ranking for marriages, she would die on 1215.

Chapter 2
On 1195, Eleanor of Brittany is affianced to the future Louis VIII and given to the care of Philippe Auguste with the condition of peace between the Angevins and the Plantagenets which would start the treaty of Nantes wherein the peace between the Plantagenets and Angevins would happen, on 1195, the two would be married.

The conditions in the Treaty of Nantes were that Anjou, Maine, Normandy and Aquitaine would remain Plantagenet holdings under French suzerainty and they are not allowed to interfere with the other French vassals.

Apparently after the fact that Berengaria and Richard have been together for many years the two would have never have children as Richard would not have been fond of his wife which would lead to the situation and rivalry between his nephew Arthur I, Duke of Brittany and his own brother, John.

Richard and Philip II would have a good relationship and the two would remain in peace until his death on 1199.

On 1199, Richard I would die of an accident after trying to stop a revolt and he would remember that his heirs via his brother Geoffrey would be trustworthy for him so he would decide to disinherit Geoffrey’s kin for the Angevin Empire and given the succession to John.

Chapter 3
On 1199 Richard I would die and appoint his brother, John as the heir to his lands and disinherited his nephew, Arthur of Brittany and niece, Eleanor of Brittany, the future Queen of France of the inheritance of England and all of his lands as he would not trust Arthur as he is on French hands

John I would quickly discard, his wife, Hawise who was forbidden for him to touch for another bride, Isabella of Angouleme, a scion to a tract of lands in the south of France in Angouleme, as she is the sister of William VIII of Angouleme b.1198 and daughter of Aymer of Angouleme.

On 1202 Arthur I of Brittany, Philippe II of France and Hugh of Lusignan would fight against John as John would completely ignore summons and Philippe wanted to help Hugh of Lusignan and Arthur of Brittany and Philippe II would consider the French lands of John I as forfeit.

On Mirabeau, Arthur I of Brittany killed in action by John of England’s barons which would cause the French to completely deprive John of his lands in England.

Eleanor of Brittany as the wife of the future French King would swear vengeance upon John herself along with her husband as soon as she heard of the news that her brother is dead.

John would not be able to have a peaceful sleep knowing that the French would be his enemies, on the death of his mother, Philippe II would confiscate her own duchy of Aquitaine causing the end of the Plantagenets on France, after the birth of his grandson, Philippe.

Eleanor of Brittany would give birth to the following children, Philippe b. 1202, Constance b. 1204, Mathilde b. 1205, William b. 1206, Eleanor b. 1209, Charles, Count of Anjou and Maine b. 1210, Richard, Count of Toulouse and Provence b. 1215, Elizabeth b. 1218 and Arthur, Count of Anjou and Maine b. 1220.

Last edited:
Chapter 4
Constance of Sicily herself would given birth to many children, two sons; Frederick(1186) and Henry(1192) and two daughters; Joanna(1188) and Beatrice(1193), she would have secured the succession of the Holy Roman Empire however her husband would want and desire Sicily starting on the death of William II of Sicily himself.

In November 1189 William died at Palermo, leaving no children. Though Robert of Torigni records a short-lived son in 1181: Bohemond, who was named Duke of Apulia.

After his death Norman nobles led by Matthew of Ajello supported Tancred, Count of Lecce, an illegitimate cousin of William, to succeed him, instead of Constance, to avoid German rule.

However on 1193, after the birth of their second son, Henry VI would attack Sicily and Constance would go to Tancred as a hostage and Henry IV would defeat and kill Tancred on 1194 causing Sicily to fall under the rule of Henry VI who would die on 1197 and Philip I would replace Henry VI on the throne of the Romans.

Chapter 5
On 1200, Constance of Brittany would give birth to another son, named Conan with her husband Guy of Thouars preventing the annexation of Brittany to France.

The son would ensure that Brittany would be an independent player between England and France, however the marriage of his sister would help Brittany in the long run as the regency of Brittany since the death of Duke Arthur is good to France, his sister’s country and a betrothal between Princess Berengaria of Portugal and Conan V of Brittany is made with the suggestion of Queen Ingeborg of France to her estranged husband Philippe II instead of Princess Marie of France who she treated as a bastard of the King’s chosen bride, Conan V and Berengaria would have three children namely, John(1218), Berengaria(1220) and Arthur(1223).

Another shenanigan that Ingeborg would approve is the marriage between her brother, Valdemar to Marie of France as she would consider it as a settlement for her being humiliated by her husband, Marie of France would be known as a dutiful bride to her husband.

Chapter 6
On 1208, Philip I of Germany would be murdered on the marriage between Henry of Sicily and Joanna of Burgundy after the granting of dispensation by Innocent III, which would caused a devastation of Empress Irene Angelina but Irene would carry on her child and finally give birth to a daughter that Duchy of Swabia needed and she would name the child as Joanna after her niece, but she would die of Puerperal fever after the birth of the child causing the children of Philip I of Germany to be under the care of the Countess of Burgundy and her husband.

On 1208, Jeanne of Burgundy, the countess of Burgundy is married to Henry of Sicily, after her dispensation has been granted, both Eleanor of Brittany and Louis VIII would be interested to meet their cousins who are now the ruler of the Holy Roman Empire, she would have been granted dispensation by Pope Innocent III, who was not that good in granting dispensations and the marriage would have produced 3 surviving offspring, Otto b. 1209, Eleanor b. 1212 and Henry b. 1216, while her sister, Beatrice is married off to the Duke of Andechs-Merania with many children.

Since the murder in the wedding she was traumatized after the marriage as her uncle died there and it gave her nightmares at night and she cannot sleep even as the empress of the holy roman empire, she lacked the strength of her grandmother, Eleanor of Aquitaine as she mentioned to her cousin Eleanor of Brittany.

Frederick I of Sicily would view this as an opportunity to gain the throne that was gained by his uncle due to his father dying prematurely and was crowned as the Holy Roman Emperor and his wife, Constance and Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor would go back and forth between the Holy Roman Empire and Sicily.

He took the opportunity in 1208 to rise to the rulership of the Holy Roman Empire and married his sister, Joanna of Sicily to the the Anti-King of Germany, Otto of Brunswick to buy him off and his sister, Beatrice of Sicily to Vratislav of Bohemia to guarantee strong support from them and for him to gain a strong support on the German Empire itself.

Last edited:
Chapter 7
Ladislaus III succeeded Imre of Hungary, his brother Andrew became his Regent. Andrew soon took over all regal authority while Ladislaus and Constance were little more than his prisoners. Constance managed to escape to Vienna with Ladislaus.

Constance would remarry to the 18 year old Frederick I of Sicily so that she and Ladislaus III would have some support against Andrew of Hungary, she would remain with Frederick I of Sicily with her son, finding a way to restore the rule of her son in Hungary, Constance of Aragon would give her second husband Frederick I of Sicily two sons and one daughter namely, Henry b. 1205 and Frederick b. 1214 and a daughter named Beatrice b. 1212.

She would be able to restore her son, Ladislaus III on the throne on 1214 when her son nearly reached his majority as Frederick II would bribe Henry of Brunswick by making him marry his sister and removing his uncle, Andrew from power in Hungary.

Unfortunately for Queen Constance she would die on 1216 and her husband would pick a second wife in the person of Margaret of Flanders, the eventual heiress to the Counties of Flanders and Hainault.

Last edited:
Chapter 8
Freepedia

Albigensian Crusade

Lastours and the castle of Cabaret

By the time operations resumed in 1211, the actions of Arnaud-Amaury and Simon de Montfort had alienated several important lords, including Raymond de Toulouse, who had been excommunicated again. The Crusaders returned in force to Lastours in March and Pierre-Roger de Cabaret soon agreed to surrender. In May the castle of Aimery de Montréal was retaken; he and his senior knights were hanged, and several hundred Cathars were burned. Cassès fell easily in early June. Afterwards, Simon marched towards Montferrand, where Raymond had placed his brother, Baldwin, in command. After a short siege, Baldwin signed an agreement to abandon the fort in return for swearing an oath to go free and to not fight again against the Crusaders. Baldwin briefly returned to Raymond, but afterward defected to the Crusaders and remained loyal to them thereafter. After taking Montferrand, the Crusaders headed for Toulouse. The town was besieged, but for once the attackers were short of supplies and men, and Simon de Montfort withdrew before the end of the month. Emboldened, Raymond de Toulouse led a force to attack Montfort at Castelnaudary in September. Montfort broke free from the siege but Castelnaudary fell that December to Raymond's troops and Raymond's forces went on to liberate over thirty towns before the counter-attack ground to a halt at Lastours in the autumn where he died in action and his son, his namesake would die of mysterious causes shortly.

Eleanor of Brittany would be happy that at last she had gained the inheritance of her ancestor, Philippa of Toulouse back and Louis VIII was able to enforce it not like his grand father to Eleanor’s namesake Grandfather

Chapter 9
On 1216, a barons war against King John of England would erupt and would invite Prince Louis of France as the King of France as the descendant of William the Conqueror and dejure uxoris for Eleanor of Brittany and he and Eleanor would make a voyage to England to reclaim the lost throne and Eleanor would give birth to two last children, Richard and Elizabeth on England and she and her husband would war with King John I.

King John's death in October 1216 caused many of the rebellious barons to desert Louis in favour of John's nine-year-old son, Henry III, however Eleanor and Louis would negotiate with the barons to recognize William, the second son of Eleanor of Brittany and Louis VIII as the King of England instead of the son of King John and she would brought forward her daughter, Constance of France as the bride of Alexander of Scotland to marry the King and Eleanor and Louis VIII would sign Magna Carta for their son, William.

Isabella of Angouleme and her sons would leave for Angouleme and remarry to Hugh of Lusignan and reclaim her inheritance of Angouleme while her children would be under the care of William Marshal who would go to Ireland and establish a separate Kingdom of Ireland that claims the Kingdom of England as they would rule it as the rulers of Ireland itself and they would try to invade England again on 1221 without success.

On 1217 due to the success of Eleanor of Brittany and Louis VIII, the two would remain on England until 1218 and they would assign the Duke of Champagne as their regent for England for William III until his majority on 1221 when he married Mahaut of Boulogne uniting the Blesvin and Angevin claims and set for England for him to start his own rule.

Last edited:
Chapter 10
On 1210, the Mongols, who were formerly a Jin Tributary, ended their vassalage and attacked the Jin Empire on 1211. In the light of this event, the Song court debated ending tributary payments to the weakened Jin and they would choose to stop making the tributary payments with Jin which would help the Song Dynasty’s survival in the end.

The Mongols would annex the Jin Dynasty on 1220 as the Song Dynasty would stop giving tributary payments with Jin and also because the people were also panicking and some of the people from the Jin Empire would migrate south to the Song Dynasty prior to the fall of the Jin Dynasty, the Song Dynasty would sign a peace treaty with the Mongols.

On 1224, Zhao Xun would succeed Emperor Ningzong of the Song Dynasty as Emperor Rizong of Song Dynasty.

Chapter 11
Eleanor of Brittany would hold her grandmother’s vase in St Denis as she is already in her late 30s in 1220, she is happy that she has accomplished everything that her grandmother had wanted in her life.

Eleanor of Brittany would say to the Vase

“Grand Mother, Eleanor, my namesake, I had done everything, I have now succeeded as the Queen of France what you did not even succeed in your first marriage.”

Eleanor of Brittany understood that her marriage was just like her grandmother’s it is a dynastic marriage and for peace between England and France.

Eleanor of Brittany would remember her dead uncles and her dead mother who have died already on 1202 as well as her sister, Matilda of Brittany, the Duchess of Austria, as well as her dead brother, she felt so alone.

Eleanor of Brittany would be shock back into her senses and decided to focus on grooming her son, Philippe as the next King and also the arrival of Princess Berengaria of Castile, the Younger, she would feel excited about meeting her a distant relative of hers.

She would be sad to see her daughter Mathilde go as she would be married to Ferdinand III of Castile but she should accept as that would be for the good of the Kingdom.

Last edited:
Children of Eleanor of Brittany and Louis VIII
Eleanor of Brittany m. Louis VIII(a)

1a. Philippe III of France b. 1202 m. Berengaria of Castile

2a. Constance of France b. 1204 m. Alexander II of Scotland

3a. Mathilde b. 1205 m. Ferdinand III of Castile

4a. William III of England b. 1206 m. Mahaut of Boulogne(a)

5a. Eleanor b. 1209 m. Valdemar III

6a. Charles, Duke of Normandy b. d. 1210

7a. Richard, Count of Toulouse b. 1216 m. Margaret I of Provence

8a. Elizabeth b. 1218, nun, later Saint of France

9a. Arthur, Count of Anjou and Maine b.d. 1220

Last edited:
Chapter 12
On June 18, 1218, Alexander officially settled the lands Jedburgh, Hassendean, Kinghorn and Crail to Constance as her personal income. She and Alexander married on June 21, 1218 at York Minster. Alexander was twenty. Constance was almost fourteen. Queen Constance at first did not have a strong position at the Scottish court, which was dominated by her mother-in-law, queen dowager Ermengarde but Constance and Ermengarde would be fond of each other. Her English and French connections nevertheless made her important regardless of her personal qualities. Constance accompanied Alexander to England in September 1236 at Newcastle, and in September 1237 at York, during the negotiations with her brother King William III of England over disputed northern territories. In York, Joan and her sister-in-law Mahaut of Boulogne agreed to make a pilgrimage to Thomas Becket's shrine in Canterbury.

Constance died in the arms of her brothers King Philippe III of France and William III of England in 1238, and was buried at the Abbey of St Genevieve in Paris.

Constance of France and Alexander II of Scotland would have the following children;

Margaret of Scotland b. 1219 – married to Sancho II of Portugal

Alexander III of Scotland b. 1220 – married to Marie de Coucy

David b. 1230

Last edited:
Chapter 13
Chapter 13

In 1221, Matilda of Boulogne married her husband, William III of England, a younger, son Louis VIII of France and Eleanor of Brittany. By marriage to her, William III of England became her co-ruler of Boulogne, Mortain, Aumale and Dammartin-en-Goële.

Matilda of Boulogne and William III of England would have the following children;

Henry III of England b. 1221 – married to Eleanor of Provence

Joanna of England b. 1223 – Third wife of Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor

Louis of England b. 1230 – abbot

Chapter 14
Ramon Berenguer was the son of Alfonso II, Count of Provence, and Garsenda, Countess of Forcalquier. After his father's death (1209), Ramon's mother sent him to the Templar castle of Monzón in Aragon. He was accompanied by his cousin King James I of Aragon whose life was also under threat. He left Monzon around 1217 to claim his inheritance, which included the county of Forcalquier--inherited from his mother.

On 5 June 1219, Ramon Berenguer married Dulce of Leon, Alfonso IX of Leon and Theresa of Leon. They had three daughters who reached adulthood, all of whom were well educated and married kings.

stillborn son (1220)

Margaret I of Provence (1221–1295), wife of Richard I of Toulouse

Eleanor of Provence (1223–1291), wife of Henry III, King of England

Beatrice of Provence (1229–1267), wife of Baldwin X/VII of Flanders

Chapter 15
In her youth, Blanche of Castile visited the Abbey of Santa María la Real de Las Huelgas, founded by her parents, she would at times would be sent letters by her cousin Arthur I of Brittany who wanted to marry her until his untimely death on 1202 in Mirabeau, on the death of her sister, Mafalda who was betrothed to Ferdinand of Leon, she would be the one chosen to replace her on the marriage which would happen on 1205 after the death of her sister.

Blanche of Castile would marry the heir to the King of Leon and the stepson of her sister, Berenguela, the marriage would produce two children, Alfonso X of Leon(1206) and Fernando(1208) which would be left under the care of Alfonso IX of Leon, Alfonso X of Leon would reign as King on the death of Alfonso IX and a bride was easily obtained for King Alfonso X on the 1220s by his grandfather and it is Isabel of Swabia, a daughter of the late Philip I of Germany who would provide his grandson of political connections and he was not wrong regarding that.

On the 1216, Berenguela, her sister would convince her sister to remarry to the heir of Navarre, the Count of Champagne, a dashing young knight, Theobald, the second marriage would produce three children; Blanche b. 1218, wife of John I of Brittany, Theobald II of Navarre b. 1220 and Henry b. 1222.

@Kurt_Steiner @isabella

Note:
Blanche of Castile is the mother of the King of Leon and King of Navarre here.

Last edited:
Chapter 16
While on their way to Flanders, the newlyweds were captured by Joan's first cousin Louis of France (the future Louis VIII), eldest son of King Philip II. The French prince intended to recover a large portion of the territory that he considered as belonging to his late mother's dowry, including the Artois that Joan's father had taken back by force after the death of Louis' mother in 1190.

On 1218, the Holy Roman Emperor, Frederick II would marry Margaret of Flanders as negotiated by Theresa of Portugal, Margaret a woman who was debauched by Bouchard of Avesnes so that an alliance between the Counts of Flanders and the Holy Roman Emperor would have an alliance, Avesnes has not brought a child with Margaret and that union would force Louis VIII to release Joanna of Flanders and Ferdinand to avoid a german takeover of Flanders but that would not be successful as Joanna of Flanders would die on 1222 without children.

On 1220, Holy Roman Emperor, Frederick II would leave Sicily to his son, Henry I of Sicily and his daughter in law, Margaret splitting the German and Sicilian realm leaving his other son, Frederick as the heir to his other aspirations as planned from the beginning.

Margaret, Countess of Hainault and Flanders would have three healthy surviving children named Baldwin, Joanna and Adela and during that time the Holy Roman Emperor would decide to strengthen his alliance with Ireland by marrying his daughter to Henry I of Ireland, son of the usurper King John.

On the death of the Margaret, a marriage between Joanna of England and Frederick II which would have issue to end the support and alliance of Ireland and the Holy Roman Empire on 1233 after the death of Empress Margaret, Countess of Flanders and Hainault, the marriage would produce two children, Conrad, Duke of Swabia(1240) and Margaret, Landgrave of Thuringia(1242).

On his death on 1249, Frederick II would have firmly put his children and kin on Sicily and Flanders and have secured on his kins future.

Children of Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor
Children of Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor

Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor m. Constance of Aragon d. 1220(a) Margaret, Countess of Flanders and Hainault d. 1231(b) Joanna of England(c)

1a.Henry I of Sicily b. 1205 m. Margaret of Austria b. 1204, daughter of Leopold of Austria and Theodora Angelina, nephew of Frederick I of Austria

2a. Frederick, Duke of Swabia b. 1214 d. 1240 m. Agnes of Bohemia

3a. Beatrice b. 1212 m. Henry I of Ireland

4b. Baldwin of Flanders and Hainault b. 1223

5b. Joanna of Germany b. 1226 m. Alfonso X of Castile[1]

6b. Adelaide (Alexandra) of Germany b. 1230 m. Theodore II Laskaris

7c. Conrad, Duke of Swabia b. 1240

8c. Margaret of Germany b. 1242 married to Albert, Landgrave of Thuringia

Beatrice of Sicily b. 1193 (a)Vratislav of Bohemia d. 1220

1a. Margaret b. 1218 m. Boleslaw the bald of Poland

1. Son of Matilda of France and Ferdinand III of Castile

Chapter 17
Freepedia

Chapter 17

Freepedia

Ferdinand III of Castile

Family

In 1219, Ferdinand married Matilda (1205–1235), daughter of the French king Louis VIII and Eleanor of Brittany. Their children were:

Alfonso X, his successor married to Joanna of Germany or Juana de Suabia

Frederick

Ferdinand (1225–1243/1248)

Eleanor (born 1227), died young

Constance (1228–1288/89), a nun at Las Huelgas

Philip (1231–1274). He was promised to the Church, but was so taken by the beauty of Christina of Norway, daughter of Haakon IV of Norway, who had been intended as a bride for one of his brothers, that he abandoned his holy vows and married her. She died in 1262, childless.

Sancho, Archbishop of Toledo and Seville (1233–1261)

Manuel of Castile

Maria, died an infant in November 1235

Second marriage

After he was widowed, he married Joan, Countess of Ponthieu, before August 1237. They had four sons and one daughter:

Ferdinand (1238–1264/1269), Count of Aumale

Eleanor (c. 1241–1290), married Edward I of England. They had sixteen children including the future Edward II of England, and every English monarch after Edward I is a descendant of Ferdinand III.

Louis (1243–1269)

Simon (1244), died young and buried in a monastery in Toledo

John (1245), died young and buried at the cathedral in Córdoba

Note:
We have a Henry III, who is a son of William III and also an Edward I with a similar birthdate but this Edward I is a Capetian.

Last edited: