TLIAM: A Series Of Quite Fortunate Events

Great update!

instead, the NCW had come through its awkward teenage years and developed into a vast network of trade unions

I don't think I'd have come through my awkward teenage years quite so soon. I still haven't developed into a network of trade unions.

The year is 2055 and Harold Macmillan is celebrating a century in office...

Philthy stuff bois. I particularly enjoy the stuff about the 'Department of Decency'. It sounds exactly like the faintly sinister, but probably quite popular policies that a broadly socially conservative party would introduce.

I am very interested by the prominence, or rather lack of prominence, of figures who by this point IOTL were Prime Ministers or Leaders of the Opposition.

Japhy

Banned
I'm really cementing my user title with my prediction.

As always guys Great Stuff. I certainly liked the script flip in NI and the fall of Ian Smith. Excited to see who's next.

Excellent as usual - one quibble:
Public opinion was less clear cut on Ulster. Although the Ulster Unionists had been founding members of the NDLP, the Government’s policy (done, it was rumoured, under pressure from the White House, itself lobbied by Irish-American Senators), was distinctly more forthcoming to nationalists than the heirs of Edward Carson would have desired. 1974’s Government of Ireland Act greatly reduced the scope of Unionist gerrymandering at both Westminster and Stormont, prompting a number of radicals to establish the Ulster Covenant Party aimed at restoring the unique character and principles of the province rather than - as the young Tommy Herron noted - “Basingstoke on the Lagan”.​
Despite Carson's earlier conduct, didn't he attack the Stormont government for alienating Catholics too much in the 20s?

“PRIME MINISTER DEAD” screamed the white-on-black of Private Eye’s final cover. Any attempt whatsoever to make light of the tragedy would likely have backfired on the satirical publication. But long-serving editor Richard Ingrams chose to accompany the headline with an image of Macmillan at his most gaunt and skeletal-looking. The resulting outcry – whipped up by a pro-Macmillan Fleet Street – saw emergency legislation sail through parliament, and the Eye was banned from sale the following week. Never one to waste an opportunity to renew his government, Macmillan exploited the crisis further with the creation of the new Department for Culture.

Bal tragique à Birch Grove, eh?

Excellent as usual - one quibble:

Despite Carson's earlier conduct, didn't he attack the Stormont government for alienating Catholics too much in the 20s?
That was before the NI parliament actually sat ("...let them see that the Catholic minority have nothing to fear from a Protestant majority") and had as much to do with years of Westminster intervention as anything else. However he did grow very disillusioned with the NI state.
All of which tends to be forgotten...

Time Magazine, January 2003:

'iMac - How the Prime Minister Adapted to the Digital Age'

"The first British mainframe, known as the Electronic Brain of Great Britain, was developed for the British Government during the Sixties. Similar computers were purchased, not just by the Government, but also by Industry and the Banks. Soon everyone had the EB-GBs"

You've made me hate Harold Macmillan. I didn't know it was possible to hate Harold Macmillan, or feel any emotion about him other than apathy. Kudos.

The bombing of an Irish pub in Manchester and the assassination of the Archbishop of Liverpool on the same grim afternoon in March 1976 brought Ulster Terror to the mainland.
…Please tell me you didn't just murder Derek Worlock.

(I know, butterflies, but still)

This continues to throw up twists by, er, keeping the same person in power seemingly indefinitely – which is an interesting trick, and speaks to the quality of your writing. My one quibble with this update is that the gentle quiescence of the NDLP to Macmillan's continued premiership seems a little too pat; given his age and increasing frailty, and the supermajorities he commands, surely there must be some dissension in the ranks?

But it is just a quibble; I look forward to seeing just how Macmillan manages to wind up remaining in power in the next instalment (though he surely can't go on much longer now – I know he lived to be 92 IOTL, but our Supermac hadn't spent two decades leading a nuclear power day-to-day…).

inb4 the end of TTL is actually a reveal that the Macmillan regime is actually a full-on dictatorship where Maurice took over the reins when Mac died and this is actually a case-study of propaganda being used as course-reading in an Australian politics seminar

I'm wondering whether the events will mean Macmillan postpones his retirement again.

I'm not sure why the NDLP feel the need to stack the deck so much in their favour given their already nearly complete dominance. They are evidently very successful at it though.

I am intrigued by the industrial relations touched on in this update. I would guess that the ‘obstructionism versus integralism’ debate relates to whether the unions were integral to the Macmillan system or obstructing it, though could definitely be very wrong. I wonder why most disputes are seemingly settled for years after being arbitrated by Sunny Jim and co. Some sort of secret agreement, superb negotiation skills, government pressure? It seems odd that they manage to make it so successful. Seemingly it will not endure for two long though, as it talks of the IAB's first incarnation, so it will be replaced at least temporarily by something else and then reconstituted or its remit and abilities will change under new leadership.

Interesting too that the intervention in Rhodesia was so successful. Being able to do that in the 1970s is obviously a big difference to OTL.

Fascinating and enjoyable, far more details than a PM list, lots of lovely moments

Loving RGM as the forlorn hope of the arrest Ian Smith brigade, hero of the Commonwealth of Nations. Patriotic kids with his poster on the wall a no-one giving me sh1t for naming my son James Robert (Mrs Warthog's gyno actually complained before I explained that we named him after my Grandad - the communist, not the Methodist minister)

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
The NDLP is a bit like the LibDems of Japan, but instead of having multiple PMs who build up a party that is near unbeatable, it's just one man.