TLIAM: A Series Of Quite Fortunate Events

nbcman

Donor
Woah, did the US drop a nuke on Vietnam to force the North Vietnamese to stop the war? The use of a nuke is a HUGE genie out of the bottle now.

EDIT: Now I am thinking about times when there could be future usage. I am not going to post my guesses on them in the thread out of respect for the Authors.

Last edited:

Japhy

Banned
The correctness of my prediction leaves me in awe.

As does the comic fall of Powell. And the slow death of Labourite England. And the "Post-Partisan" nature of the NDLP. And how you're going to deal with the issues of the ministry of Macmillan's successor?

Woah, did the US drop a nuke on Vietnam to force the North Vietnamese to stop the war? The use of a nuke is a HUGE genie out of the bottle now.
They dropped a nuke in Ha Long Bay, a rehash of the rumoured Tokyo Bay plan from 1945. Nobody was killed – officially. Unofficially, everyone knows a few poor fishermen got incinerated.

Sulemain

Banned
I am concerned about the increased social conservatism of the country, but every silver lining has a cloud.

I am concerned about the increased social conservatism of the country, but every silver lining has a cloud.
Fun fact: nothing really suggests the country is more socially conservative than OTL, one of the themes explored in this update is the low public support for Jenkins and Wilson's social reforms. They didn't have to do them, and could have got away with not doing them. Different people in charge with different priorities might have taken different choices.

There are definitely going to be knock-on effects to social attitudes from a country that's been voting !Tory since 1951, however (though it did vote Labour in 1968...). We may be beginning to see them now.

Sulemain

Banned
Fun fact: nothing really suggests the country is more socially conservative than OTL, one of the themes explored in this update is the low public support for Jenkins and Wilson's social reforms. They didn't have to do them, and could have got away with not doing them. Different people in charge with different priorities might have taken different choices.

There are definitely going to be knock-on effects to social attitudes from a country that's been voting !Tory since 1951, however (though it did vote Labour in 1968...). We may be beginning to see them now.

Okay, that's very interesting and makes sense. Thank you :) .

No! Not Ted Heath! Can we not scrape up someone better? Did Michael Stewart join the Labour defectors? Willie Whitelaw? Geoffrey Rippon? Peter Thorneycroft? Patrick Wall from the further right? Julian Amery? But enjoying the TL tremendously !

No! Not Ted Heath! Can we not scrape up someone better? Did Michael Stewart join the Labour defectors? Willie Whitelaw? Geoffrey Rippon? Peter Thorneycroft? Patrick Wall from the further right? Julian Amery? But enjoying the TL tremendously !
Heath came second, Mac's successor hasn't been revealed in this update. Glad you're enjoying it!

OK...OK...MacMillan is the PM and George Romney is the president--wait, Romney nuked North Vietnam?!? The hell?!?

Good update...

Oh dear indeed - Reallysupermac and Rotten Oak George making the fish glow (may I say that's a rather original take on Romney!). Quite interested in finding out who wins the notLDP leadership contest - Heath isn't it so perhaps Angus Maude, though I'm just spit-balling. Great update anyhow!

Have to wonder - is Nasserism any more popular TTL?

Japhy

Banned
Fun Fact: Nuking the Waters off of North Vietnam in a show of force was something considered by the "Kitchen Think Tank" that Nelson Rockefeller perpetually paid to be around him and develop foreign policy solutions in the event he became President. Totally makes sense for Romney to have gone though and collected some of those folks for his own administration, after all Nixon did with a fellow named Henry Kissinger (And incidentally, so did Hube Humphrey in '68 with Kissinger also).