TL Help Needed! "Deco-Punk"?

Ok, so here's the story. You might have heared or seen mini previews of the huge seires of TL's and stories iv'e been working around the place. However, i'm having trouble wiht the asthetics so to speak. Judging from the style of writing,the fictional architecture, fashion and technology, the best way i can describe the theme is Decopunk, i.e, it's like steampunk in the sense that it emulates apears the styles of the Mid 20's-Mid 30's era, just as steampunk emulates the Vicotrian Era. Anyway, does anyone think they can help me with this story by providing advice, images or ideas to go with this style and build up the idea? Sorry if this is hard to understand, but this is the best way i can describe it. Thanks :).

I'd recommend looking at the game "Bioshock" and the film "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" a lot of what you say is similar to the "Dieselpunk" style so you may want to look at that.

This should really be in chat by the way!

Doc Savage, The Shadow. The stories will probably do you better, but for visual ideas the movies aren't bad. Well, maybe Doc Savage is a little over the top. For an interesting AH read Aaron Allston's Doc Sidhe which is basically an elven Doc Savage in New Amsterdam. If you've got access to Steve Jackson Games' first AH books take a look at "Gernsback", a Tesla-centric Art Deco world.

Tovarich

Banned
'Mr X' comics (Dean Motter stuff from the '80s, not the Marvel stuff)

MRX.jpg

MotterMrX.jpg

and 'Metropolis' sections from 'Ratchet & Clank' games

ratchet_screen007.jpg

metropolis_concept.jpg

I'm reading this timeline, because that is how I wish we stayed....

Thanks :). Warning though! The TL itself is divided up into Three Parts which also includes short stories and spin off Mini Tl's so far with the POD being in 1897. However, so far it goes right into the 6000's, so it's huge :eek:.

In all probability you know more about this than I do, but there is no harm in telling you anyway: you can search for the work of the famous designer Raymond_Loewy.
We all know that airships are a well known alt. history cliche, but flying boats also have some potential. I have posted one painting and two CGs of (historically existing) British flying boats in another forum of this board here: https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=2787160#post2787160

Here is another well known flying boat, although its performance was less impressive than its looks, the German Dornier Do X (first flight in 1929)

Dornier Do X.jpg

A French flying boat, the Latecoere 631 (first flight in 1942, only a handful were built, the last was withdrawn from service in 1955)

Latecoere 631 Graphik.jpg

Gotta love the Do X! :D

Flying Boat junkie here myself, AMF. It was the SM.55 (a RL "Dieselpunk" aircraft if there ever was one) that introduced me to the exploits of Italo Balbo.

Been kicking around an idea for a Flying Boat Wank along the lines of zoomar's Zepplinwank. Maybe we can do a collab. instead. PM me if you're up.

Good find on Loewy, BTW. I'd also recommend the work of Norman Bel Geddes. Particularly his "Streamline" stuff. Particularly particularly his Airliner #4!! :eek:

belGeddes1.jpg

Oh, as to the OP:

Yes, Spitfire, you're talking "Dieselpunk". I hate that name, BTW. Makes me think too much about "Mad Max". That, and most of the vehicles from the period the genre is emulating used Gasoline engines rather than Diesel. I use the name "Combustion Punk", but I'm anal. :p

Thanks :). Warning though! The TL itself is divided up into Three Parts which also includes short stories and spin off Mini Tl's so far with the POD being in 1897. However, so far it goes right into the 6000's, so it's huge :eek:.

Do you have links to the TLs? I'm interested.

I see that no one's mentioned William Gibson's short story The Gernsback Continium, in which a professional photographer, starts to halluinciate about a "Stremeline Moderne" world, while doing a photographic commission for a book dealing with said world, or the 1936 Alexander Korda Film adaptation of H.G Welles "The Shape of Things to Come" as reference material...
As for Flying boats, the Saunder-Roe Saro Princess from the 1950's, you could argue, was metaphorically the "last gasp" for Airliner style flying boats...