TL Help Needed! "Deco-Punk"?

Well, interestingly enough, the TL does have a German (Non Nazi) dominated european continent for alot of the begginging, so a massive broad guage railway system is not out of the questain :).

Just to keep you guys haning and to prove my point, i'll repost the Map of the German Empire and the European Community from the TL circa 1950. Any comments?

German Empire Map WWIII.PNG

German Empire Map WWIII.PNG

One war machine that appeared in 1925 was the British tank prototype Vickers A1E1 Independent, a design with one central turret housing a 3 pounder surrounded by four turrets with machine guns. Although just this one prototype was built, it influenced designs in Japan, Germany and the Soviet Union (I think this last nation followed the concept the farthest). There was also at least one prototype for a US heavy tank in 1940, called the T-1 with two turrets housing a 75mm gun each, another with a 37mm, and still another with a 20mm cannon.
For tank development before 1946, see this site:
http://www.tankhistory.com/

Vickers A1E1 Independent

Vickers A1E1 Independent.jpg

The Soviets built most of the multi-turreted tanks, their most important type being the T-28, which had three turrets, and an armament of one 76,2mm cannon and four or five machine guns. According to the wikipedia article they operated 411 tanks of this type at the beginning of Barbarossa and most of them were lost within two months.

The pinnacle of the development of the multi-turreted tank, however seems to have been the T-35 heavy tank with five turrets and an armament of one 76,2mm cannon, two 45mm cannon and five or six machine guns. Only sixty-one were produced. They were slow and mechanically unreliable. Ninety percent of them were not lost to enemy action but due to mechanical failures and the crews' abandoning their tanks, according to the wikipedia article.

A T-35 that has shed one of its tracks

T-35 mit abgeworfener Kette Graphik.jpg

Last edited:
I think that Hitler's plans for a broad gauge railway (Breitspurbahn in German) system might also be interesting. The wikipedia article article does not say when exactly Fritz Todt introduced the idea to Hitler, so it is possible that they belong more to the nineteen-forties than the thirties. They would probably not have made economic sense, and are more likely to be built by a dictatorship than by a democratic country, but on the other hand they seem to have no direct connection to the murders committed by the Nazis and they do look impressive:

Years ago there was a model train (or just a railroad) magazine that had an article about the Breitspurbahn with original pictures reproduced in it. Very interesting, but unfortunately I never purchased it.

Thanks :). Warning though! The TL itself is divided up into Three Parts which also includes short stories and spin off Mini Tl's so far with the POD being in 1897. However, so far it goes right into the 6000's, so it's huge :eek:.
Could you kindly inform us what the POD is? I am very curious already:confused::)!

Let's not forget the SM.66, a passenger version of the SM.55 that took Balbo and company over the Atlantic! :D

Savoia_S-66.jpg

PS: flying boat info and pics galore at www.seawings.co.uk (where I found this).

Check out their Forum! (I post there as Cap'n Tony). :cool:

Okay, so after reading this thread, I started googling 'dieselpunk' and looking at pictures and read the wikipedia article, and one name kept coming up in the section on architecture: Albert Spear, Hitler's chief architect.

I thought I might direct you to stuff about the "Welthaupstadt Germania" that Hitler planned to build after the war in the 1950s. I went to the exhibit in Berlin on this during my summer trip, and (putting the Nazi part asside, along with the fact that these plans would have destroyed and reshaped much of historic berlin) the exhibit was really cool, especially the prop-model from the movie "Downfall". The reason Spear is cited for 'dieselpunk' architecture is becuase of his larger-than-life designs that are truely amazing (albiet intimidating, and some might say impossible to actually achieve).

Here's one article about the exhibit:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,540558,00.html

Just google "Germania exhibit" for more

On the subject of architecture, Hugh Ferris sort of comes to mind when I think of decopunk although his stuff blended into the 1950's era cold war architecture.

Here are some of his charcoal works.

GRP19-502.jpg

100.jpg

bridgescraper.jpg

hughferriss.jpg

The last pic is a bit odd, but I also love the bridge too. The first two are what I picture when I think art deco.

That building with the (rail?) road going through it reminds me of the plans for Charles/MGH Station in Boston when it was first built in the late 20's/early 30's, which was to build a large Art Deco skyscraper over the station (which was itself elevated)- I had a picture of it once, but can't find it now. The plans were canceled due to the Great Depression, sadly.

Apparently Hugh Ferris also liked Seaplanes (I know it may not look like a seaplane, but notice the statue of liberty in the background and you can guess that this is right by the water).

Hugh_Plane_4web.jpg

Ok, so here's the story. You might have heared or seen mini previews of the huge seires of TL's and stories iv'e been working around the place. However, i'm having trouble wiht the asthetics so to speak. Judging from the style of writing,the fictional architecture, fashion and technology, the best way i can describe the theme is Decopunk, i.e, it's like steampunk in the sense that it emulates apears the styles of the Mid 20's-Mid 30's era, just as steampunk emulates the Vicotrian Era. Anyway, does anyone think they can help me with this story by providing advice, images or ideas to go with this style and build up the idea? Sorry if this is hard to understand, but this is the best way i can describe it. Thanks :).

You should definitely watch the movie Metropolis, which is a Sci Fi movie from 1927. It's boring as hell and unintentionally funny in parts, but it's visually stunning and a must-see if you're doing deco-punk.

metropolis-cityscape.jpg

A neat thread on modern attempts at Art Deco.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=174715

Cool!

Actually, here in DC things are starting to go really Neo-Decco. In part this is due to the number of 20's/30's vintage buildings already downtown, particularly all the neoclassical Gov't buildings of the Federal Triangle (I'm in one: the Herbert Hoover Department of Commerce building - yes, irony fans, the DOC is in a building named after the Depression President. :D).

Here's the Reagan Building across the street from me (officially listed as "Postmodern Architecture"):

cfiles16853.jpg

Corner on Pennsylvania Ave.

ronald_reagan_building.jpg

Atrium

89e79463-c314-4a6d-b6de-98c68f668927.jpg

The Statuary

Check out their photo gallery as well

And here's more at the American Architecture website.

Well, interestingly enough, the TL does have a German (Non Nazi) dominated european continent for alot of the begginging, so a massive broad guage railway system is not out of the questain :).

Just to keep you guys haning and to prove my point, i'll repost the Map of the German Empire and the European Community from the TL circa 1950. Any comments?

View attachment 83186
Please, please can't you let me have an independent Ethiopia? Please? You can take the Ogaden away! Please?