TL-191: Yankee Joe - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the U.S. Armed Forces

You know what we don't talk about here a lot? Artillery. You guys think the US Army would outgun the Confederates in this department? Any ideas as to calibers or what the they'd be rolling in? Towed Artillery and such?

You know what we don't talk about here a lot? Artillery. You guys think the US Army would outgun the Confederates in this department? Any ideas as to calibers or what the they'd be rolling in? Towed Artillery and such?
Yes the US would out-gun the CS, the US has more industry for building the big guns. I think Turtledove even mentions this in the books.

Yes the US would out-gun the CS, the US has more industry for building the big guns. I think Turtledove even mentions this in the books.

Yes, not only that, but I also imagine that Yankee artillery would generally outrange the Confederate guns as well. Though I can't say how specifically.

In general though, I feel like the US Army's artillery would be one of the few precious solid advantages they would have over the Confederates. They're lacking in the small arms department when it comes to firepower and their tanks (in the initial stages of the war at least) are outperformed by the Confederate tanks. Perhaps even anti-tanks gun would be lacking in potency when dealing with Confederate tanks too. The artillery would be one factor that at the US can least have confidence in, pounding the Confederates at distance to soften up. Later-war, that advantage is exploited to its extreme. In way, I imagine that the US Artillery would be something of the army's pride and joy. It would be like the Soviets in a way in OTL, where they used their own artillery to its fullest advantage possible... when they started learning how to properly utilize and such.

Helps that they have a close relationships with the Germans as well, so a bit of tech sharing and trading may have occurred to give the US some excellent guns in their arsenal.

Again, Featherston would be quietly or obviously frustrated by this.

During one of the Armstrong segments in In at the Death, the text goes along the line of, the US didn't have screaming meemies (CSA rocket artillery), but batteries of 105's made up for that. So the US has enough 105 mm field guns to match the firepower and destructiveness of a rocket barrage.

During one of the Armstrong segments in In at the Death, the text goes along the line of, the US didn't have screaming meemies (CSA rocket artillery), but batteries of 105's made up for that. So the US has enough 105 mm field guns to match the firepower and destructiveness of a rocket barrage.

Holy shit, that's a lot of dakka. And I mean that's a fuck ton of 105s if that's true. I mean, perhaps that's an exaggeration, but rocket arty is pretty devastating already. The fact that the US can easily match that with conventional artillery pieces is pretty impressive. Combine that with their long range heavy guns and you'd get a murderous barrage.

@cortz#9 - Looks we have a Union nickname for "Joshua's Organ" :)

Yep. As for the US 105's I think that they'd be a mix of OTL American 105's and German 105's

For context

1280px-M101-105mm-howitzer-camp-pendleton-20050326.jpg

US 105

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-031-2415-16%2C_Russland%2C_Soldaten_an_leichter_Haubitze.jpg

German 105

Accidentally sent this to Featherston's Finest

Accidentally sent this to Featherston's Finest

Yeah, maybe put the German 105's wheels on the US gun, if it fits. Or vise versa, whatever suits anyone really. I don't imagine the 105mm would be the only common place gun the US would rely on, right? Maybe they're using 155mm "Long Toms" and 75mm pack guns still.

Yeah, maybe put the German 105's wheels on the US gun, if it fits. Or vise versa, whatever suits anyone really. I don't imagine the 105mm would be the only common place gun the US would rely on, right? Maybe they're using 155mm "Long Toms" and 75mm pack guns still.
US Wheels on German gun would fit better, because US Arty is more motorized than OTL German, though I believe the US guns had a few better features. Probably US has 76mm/3" light guns of some sort, 152mm/6" of varying types (howitzer and gun), plus heavier pieces (203mm/8" and a larger piece). Would not be 155mm or 75mm, that OTL came from copying French guns in WWI because not enough US guns were ready

I think I’ve mentioned my head canon that the US uses the 88mm caliber. Since there was no indigenous US 90 mm caliber around WWI IOTL, I figure they just license-cloned the German shell and guns to fire it.

All references to 3.5” guns ought then be understood as 88 mm.

Rocket artillery in CS use is a question. Featherston’s OTL artillery experience and stated distrust of wunderwaffen ideas suggests that he should not be a big backer of the new tech. That implies that, kind of like the OTL Sturmgewehr, rocket artillery is developed behind his back but he’s so impressed with the result that he gets enthusiastic about it around 1940. My head canon for that is that rocketry in the CS originates for sounding rockets—weather observation for the CS Coast Guard, since they’re particularly vulnerable to hurricanes—and only later in the 1930s do they think to use it as a weapon.

I found this while wandering through Das Wiki. THe US had a 4.7" Gun (120mm) prepared as its main medium size gun, but it ended up being pushed aside because it was easier to equip the men with French guns than to ship the guns overseas. (My grandfather told me about this as well, as his father was an artillery instructor in France in 1918, teaching men how you use the 75.) I could see this being widely produced, and perhaps even continued on into the Second Great War, with 120mm guns forming a part of the US artillery in field gun or anti-barrel forms in a way they didn't OTL.

4.7inchGunUSModel1906BatteryPosition.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4.7-inch_gun_M1906

I found this while wandering through Das Wiki. THe US had a 4.7" Gun (120mm) prepared as its main medium size gun, but it ended up being pushed aside because it was easier to equip the men with French guns than to ship the guns overseas. (My grandfather told me about this as well, as his father was an artillery instructor in France in 1918, teaching men how you use the 75.) I could see this being widely produced, and perhaps even continued on into the Second Great War, with 120mm guns forming a part of the US artillery in field gun or anti-barrel forms in a way they didn't OTL.

4.7inchGunUSModel1906BatteryPosition.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4.7-inch_gun_M1906
Interesting, then TL-191 this gun would still probably be in service in both great wars.