TL-191: Featherston's Finest - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the CSA and Freedom Party

Some other stuff from the Confederate Military of TL-191 that no-one thinks about. This time being their potential field rations, since I do believe these and hand grenades are subjects in TL-191 that need to be discussed.


Here is a video by Steve1989 for some ideas.
 
Confederate rations were notably awful enough for it to be mentioned multiple times in every book, and that the US had much better canned goods.
 
Speaking of Quality Control and the Confederacy...

At the start of the war, the Confederate weapons and equipment might be very good, but by war's end, they looked crudely made to the point that some Union soldiers said that they looked like something out of the Stone Age.
 
Speaking of Quality Control and the Confederacy...

At the start of the war, the Confederate weapons and equipment might be very good, but by war's end, they looked crudely made to the point that some Union soldiers said that they looked like something out of the Stone Age.
That seems like a strong plausible idea.

Have them start out to have high-quality technology and then run out of enough material/time at the end.

Had Dr. Turtledove written the concentration camps to first be work camps, instead of death camps, then the idea of the CSA re-instituting legalizes slavery and having a stable labor force with a continuous production of war material would have kept the quality of weapons higher for a little bit longer.
 
Here's my idea of what the contents of the Confederate Field Ration would be

Breakfast:

5 wheat biscuits
3 hard-boiled candies
1 small tin of instant coffee
3 tablets of sugar
1 can of instant grits
1 can of chopped ham, eggs, and potatoes

Supper:

5 wheat biscuits
3 hard-boiled candies
1 packet of orange beverage mix or a tin of coffee
3 tablets of sugar
1 can of pork and beans or meat with vegetable hash or ham and lima beans

Dinner:

5 wheat biscuits
1 chocolate disk
1 small tin of instant coffee or a packet of tropical juice mix
3 tablets of sugar
1 can of meat stew and beans or meat stew and vegetable or pork and rice

Accessory Pack:

5 tablets of sugar
1 pack of 5 cigarettes
1 book of 20 moister resistant matches
15 sheets of toilet paper
1 small bottle of water purification tablets
1 wooden spoon

and then there is the Reserve Rations aka "Iron Rations":

1 can of 15 hardtacks
1 can of corned beef or or ham chunks or ground turkey or tuna
1 packet of instant coffee
2 tablets of sugar
1 pack of three cigarettes
1 packet of salt.
2 pieces of hard boiled candies
 
Last edited:
Speaking of Quality Control and the Confederacy...

At the start of the war, the Confederate weapons and equipment might be very good, but by war's end, they looked crudely made to the point that some Union soldiers said that they looked like something out of the Stone Age.
Considering what Featherston's CSA is Based on...have you SEEN some of the "Volksgewehr" the Germans designed in 1945? some "rifles" are little more than a single-shot bolt-action barrel crudely fastened to a board.
 
Considering what Featherston's CSA is Based on...have you SEEN some of the "Volksgewehr" the Germans designed in 1945? some "rifles" are little more than a single-shot bolt-action barrel crudely fastened to a board.

Look here with these K98s, I could see stuff like the Tredegar rifles undergoing a similar evolution over the course of the war.
 

Tredegar Rifle M1916 Police Rifle

Despite the designation, the M1916 was infact entered service with the Confederate Military in the mid 1920s. The reason for this designation was that it would not raise any suspicion to the Union of the impression that the Confederacy was rearming, which was a violation of the peace terms. To further this deception, the rifle was also designated in the production papers as a Police Rifle, though the rifle was purely intended to arm the Confederate Military. The rifle would remain in production at the Tredegar Arms Factory until 1937 when it was halted in preparation for the production of the M1938 Battle Rifle. During the later stages of the Second Great War, the M1916 along with older iterations of the Tredegar Rifle would be used in frontline combat with the Confederate Military.

Inspiration came from OTL's Karabiner 98b
 
Some Confederate Artillery


A Confederate M1914/29 Heavy Field Gun and an M1917 Howitzer on display at the Confederate War Memorial Museum at Richmond, Virginia, circa 2014 (ignore the Croatian text)

The 105mm M1914 Heavy Field Gun was a Confederate licensed produced model of the Schneider Canon da 1913 cannon, which was the 3rd most common artillery gun of the CSA during the 1st Great War with around 8,560 guns produced by the Tredegar Steel Works and the Atlanta Cannon Foundry. Following the end of hostilities and the subsequent peace treaty, the Confederate Armed Forces would be reduced in size, as a result, the Confederacy was forced to turn over to the Union as war reparations 4,000 of the M1914 Field Guns, and was permitted to legally retain 150 of the guns, while the rest was to be disposed of (though the Confederate Military would hide a total of 500 guns away and sold 300 guns to the Mexican Royalist faction). In the Post-War period, the M1914 guns would serve with frontline units throughout that time, and from 1929 to 1933, all of the guns would be modernized to the M1914/29 standard with new Pneumatic tires and optics. In the mid-1930s, the Confederacy would 200 guns to Mexico and modernize the one already in Mexican service to the M1914/29 standard. Throughout the 2nd Great War, these cannons would be used for secondary roles such as instructional and training guns with the majority of the guns being used for Coastal Defense purposes.

The 150mm M1917 Howitzer was a result between the secret collaboration between Tredegar Steel Works and the Swedish Bofors Company in developing a new artillery piece for the Confederate Armed Forces in the late 1920s. The agreed design was to be built in Sweden as the M31, whereas the Confederate Military were to use under the designation of the M1917. The type would enter service in 1932 with the Confederate Army when the first 100 M1917 guns had arrived from Sweden. Later that year, Tredegar would begin the construction of these guns, and later in the 1930s, the Atlanta Tractor Factory (which was previously the Atlanta Cannon Foundry) and United Steel of New Orleans would also produce the gun. By the end of the 2nd Great War in 1944, a total of 4,400 guns would be manufactured, making the model the 5th most numerous artillery piece in the Confederate Arsenal. The Confederates would also sell guns to Panama, Mexico, Venezuela, Paraguay, and Columbia.


A former Confederate M1935 Heavy Cannon on an emplacement at a Museum along the coast of Virginia, circa 2016.

The 120mm M1935 Heavy Cannon had it's origins going back to the late 1920s when the Confederate Ordnance Board began investigations into the secret development of new artillery guns. One specification called for the caliber to be 120mm or 4.72 inches in diameter, and was to feature a split trail carriage. The design would be finalized and would enter into production as the M1935 Heavy Cannon, replacing the earlier 120mm M1904/24 cannon from Confederate Military service. Prior to the outbreak of war, small numbers would be sold to Mexico, Greece, and Peru, though the overall majority of newly made guns would be exclusively built for the Confederate Military. During it's production run from 1935 to 1944, 6,000 guns would be manufactured, making it's the 2nd most numerous artillery piece in the Confederate inventory. Despite it's heavy weight, the gun would prove to have a great range and would be nicknamed as the "Featherston's Hammers" by Union soldiers.
 
Last edited:
Some more of my Headcanon Artillery and Vehicle concepts.


An ex-Confederate Army M1936 Anti-Barrel Gun at the National Museum of the Second Great War, circa 1995. The 47mm M1936 was the primary anti-barrel artillery piece of the early stages of the 2nd Great War with a total of 5,032 guns produced. The weapon would also be exported to Mexico, Venezuela, Peru, Argentina, Portugal, Paraguay, Columbia, Spain, Greece, Persia, and Australia.


Two Union soldiers inspecting a knocked out T-3 Barrel-Buster in Southern Indiana, circa 1942. The T-3 was a barrel-busting variant of the T-1 light tank, armed with the 47mm M1936 AB gun. Total of 52 T-1 hulls were converted to this pattern from 1937 to early 1939 and were attached to Confederate Infantry Divisions. During the opening days of the conflict, these vehicles proved themselves effective against Union barrels such as the Mark 2 "Custer" and Mark 3 "Pulaski". As the war progressed, the armor on Union vehicles got stronger, and thus, the T-3 increasingly proved useless and the survivors were re-delegated to the training role in November of 1942.


A photo of an early production T-1 Light Barrel, circa 1934. Following the First Great War, the Confederate Army was forbidden to posses to construct barrels. In the late 1920s, the Confederate Army began working on circumventing the terms of the peace treaty by designing a light barrel. The design and ultimate production vehicles would be given the designation of T-1 (T standing for Tractor) to disguise these vehicles as agricultural tractors. The armament on the T-1 was very basic being a 7.7mm Vickers Machine-Gun. Production of the vehicle would commence at the United Steel Tractor Factory at Jackson in late 1933 and would continue until May of 1935 with 316 vehicles produced. In 1937, the CSA would sell 30 of the T-1 tanks to Venezuela, 20 to Mexico, 25 to Peru, 10 to Siam, and 31 to Portugal. A further 52 of the vehicles would be converted into the T-3 Barrel-Buster, along with 40 vehicles converted into artillery tractors (with their turrets removed), 14 into artillery observation vehicles, 2 being rearmed with a modified M1917 105mm Howitzer as experiments, and 22 converted into artillery ammunition carriers. The remaining vehicles would be re-delegated into training vehicles in 1940 with a few being used in the futile defense of the Confederacy in the closing days of the 2nd Great War.


A T-2 light barrel at Fort Benning, Georgia, circa 1936. The T-2 was a follow-on to the T-1 which was first drawn up in 1932 as a T-1 variant re-armed with a 20mm Automatic Cannon. The first prototype of the new model was first tested in the Summer of 1934 and in September of that year, was ordered into production at the United Steel Plant. The production of the model would last from December of 1934 to March of 1937 with 733 vehicles produced. The early models of the T-2 were armed with a 20mm Hispano Suiza Automatic Cannon with the later models being rearmed with the 47mm M1936 Anti-Barrel gun. The Confederacy would sell 10 barrels to Peru, 15 to Siam, 15 to Portugal, and 5 to Paraguay, and 45 (20 47mm hulls and 25 of the 20mm armed hulls) to Mexico from 1936 to 1938. During the early days of the 2nd Great War, the 20mm variants would be equipped out to Infantry and Reconnaissance units while the 47mm variant would equip the armored, cavalry, and mechanized units of the Army. Additionally, the early armored forces of the Freedom Party Guards would be equipped with 20 vehicles with the 20mm gun and 15 with the 47mm gun. In February of 1943, the vehicles armed with the 47mm gun were upgraded into Barrel-Busters by being re-armed with the 65mm M1942 AB gun alongside a handful of the 20mm armed barrels. The earlier 20mm cannon variants would be upgraded throughout the course of the war and would remain in use as recon tanks until war's end.
 
Last edited:
Now for some Confederate Armored Vehicle Crew uniforms.

M1931 Uniform.png
M1931 Uniform_1.png

The M1931 Pattern of AFV uniform, which consists of a Butternut Tunic and Trousers, Brown High Boots, and the left drawing has a Leatherjacket (which was discontinued after 1937 but kept but a few people afterwards) and also having a Corporal Rank chevron in cherry color, indicating an armored car crewman.
M1938 Overalls.jpg

A diagram of the M1938 Overalls, which was to replace the M1931 Leather Jacket, and the sergeant rank color indicates barrel crewman.
M1939 Uniform.jpg

In 1939, a new model of armored vehicle working clothes was introduced, which added pockets to the trousers as well as the unpopular M1931 High Boots being replaced by the M1939 Ammunition Boots.
M1941 Overalls.jpg

The M1941 pattern of AFV overalls, note the pockets on the lower part being moved down and crews would increasing wear their clothing with an open collar. Also note that the lance corporal rank is in a pink color, indicating the anti-barrel branch of service.
M1942 Uniform.jpg
M1942 Overalls.jpg

In July of 1942, a new pattern of uniform for AFV crews would be adopted, in which the buttons were changed from brass to steel, which was a measure to reduce the production time. (The Red Stripes on the overalls indicate the mobile artillery branch of service)
M1944 Uniform.jpg

On January 2nd of 1944, a brand new tunic would be adopted which was shortened version of the older patterns of tunics.

The M1931 Leather Crash Helmet was the main headgear for AFV crews which would prove to be unpopular and was officially discontinued after May of 1940.

The M1933 Black Beret would prove to be more popular with the AFV crews, and would remain in production and service until the end of the GW2 in 1944.
 
Some livaries of the planes by @cortz#9

CSA  Mule (Asskicker).png

An Asskicker dive bomber belonging to the 62nd Tactical Wing in Ohio during Operation Blackbeard, July of 1941.
_FW-154.png

A V-43 Dragonfly from the 8th Assault Wing in Arkansas, circa August of 1943.
A38 Hound Dog.png

A Hughes A38 Hound-dog from the 19th Fighter Wing based in Tennessee, Spring of 1942.
RAPTOR+.png

An A44 Raptor from the 65th Fighter Wing based at the Atlanta Municipal Airport, circa June of 1944.

Now for a bonus...

A38 Hound Dog (Captured).png

An A38 Hound-Dog originally from the Confederate 11th Fighter Wing being used for evaluation by the Union Air Force after it crash landed in West Virginia in the Winter of 1941. This very Hound-Dog is now on display at the Smithsonian (on loan from the Museum of the US Air Force) in it's original CSAF paint scheme.
 
Top