The Union Forever: A TL

Anyone want to speculate on naming conventions for American weapons, ships, and vehicles. I was thinking of animal (usualy cat) names for the TL's tanks. Thanks for the feedback.

Anyone want to speculate on naming conventions for American weapons, ships, and vehicles. I was thinking of animal (usually cat) names for the TL's tanks. Thanks for the feedback.

Well, we're going with 1940-ish level of technology, yes? Here's some cat names you might consider for tanks ITTL, along with recommendations for their OTL equivalents:

-Bobcat (M1 Combat Car)
-Serval (M3 Grant),
-Lynx (M2 Light Tank),
-Ocelot (M24 "Chafee"),
-Cougar (M4 Sherman),
-Hellcat (M18, also called Hellcat IOTL :D...and yes, I know that was a "Tank Destroyer")

For aircraft, I really can't see anything replacing birds/rapid creatures (Warhawk, King Cobra, Kestrel) or aerial phenomena (Typhoon, Lightning, Thunderbolt) for combat aircraft. I could offer examples of exact names if I knew what exactly the doctrine for the USAF is ITTL; is it mostly there to support the ground troops? Is it more about air dominance (winning dogfights, launching deep raids on the enemy rear)? We pretty much know that strategic bombing as practiced IOTL is a no-go.

Ships IMHO could follow the following convention:
-Capital ships (battleships and carriers) after either states, Presidents past, or "heritage" American names (e.g. Chesapeake, Essex, Wasp, Saratoga, etc.),
-Heavy cruisers/battlecruisers after state capitals, lighter cruisers after other cities,
-Destroyers/destroyer leaders/frigates after important US Navy individuals, or after war heroes/fallen service members, and
-Submarines after "denizens of the deep" (as is right and truly proper...cities for names, indeed!)
-Smaller vessels after maritime phenomena, classical weaponry, or bodies of water (rivers, lakes, etc.)

Also, what are we looking at for infantry weapons? Personally, I'd think the Garand would still enter service (hopefully with detaching mags as the inventor had envisioned), since research into self-loading rifles continued (and ITTL would still continue) even in the midst of the Great War. Machine guns shouldn't be too different from OTL's, the Mg-42 was the game changer regarding GPMGs as opposed to light ones like the Bren, and heavier pieces like the Vickers or M1919 (as an aside, they could use the M + year of introduction as the designation system for infantry arms instead of M1 for everything, or M-whatever).

Last edited:
Well, we're going with 1940-ish level of technology, yes? Here's some cat names you might consider for tanks ITTL, along with recommendations for their OTL equivalents:

-Bobcat (M1 Combat Car)
-Serval (M3 Grant),
-Lynx (M2 Light Tank),
-Ocelot (M24 "Chafee"),
-Cougar (M4 Sherman),
-Hellcat (M18, also called Hellcat IOTL :D...and yes, I know that was a "Tank Destroyer")

For aircraft, I really can't see anything replacing birds/rapid creatures (Warhawk, King Cobra, Kestrel) or aerial phenomena (Typhoon, Lightning, Thunderbolt) for combat aircraft. I could offer examples of exact names if I knew what exactly the doctrine for the USAF is ITTL; is it mostly there to support the ground troops? Is it more about air dominance (winning dogfights, launching deep raids on the enemy rear)? We pretty much know that strategic bombing as practiced IOTL is a no-go.

Ships IMHO could follow the following convention:
-Capital ships (battleships and carriers) after either states, Presidents past, or "heritage" American names (e.g. Chesapeake, Essex, Wasp, Saratoga, etc.),
-Heavy cruisers/battlecruisers after state capitals, lighter cruisers after other cities,
-Destroyers/destroyer leaders/frigates after important US Navy individuals, or after war heroes/fallen service members, and
-Submarines after "denizens of the deep" (as is right and truly proper...cities for names, indeed!)
-Smaller vessels after maritime phenomena, classical weaponry, or bodies of water (rivers, lakes, etc.)

Also, what are we looking at for infantry weapons? Personally, I'd think the Garand would still enter service (hopefully with detaching mags as the inventor had envisioned), since research into self-loading rifles continued (and ITTL would still continue) even in the midst of the Great War. Machine guns shouldn't be too different from OTL's, the Mg-42 was the game changer regarding GPMGs as opposed to light ones like the Bren, and heavier pieces like the Vickers or M1919 (as an aside, they could use the M + year of introduction as the designation system for infantry arms instead of M1 for everything, or M-whatever).

I wouldn't mind a tank or armored vehicle being called a Rhino, but that's just because I'm a 40k junkie:D

Good Advice

Profile: Wilhelm II
The People of the Union Forever

union.png

Wilhelm II (1859 –1941)

wilhelmdoorngross.jpg

Wilhelm II was born Frederick William Victor Albert in 1859 to Princess Victoria and Prince Fredrick. Growing up as the heir apparent to the Kingdom of Prussia, Wilhelm from much of his life lived in the shadow of his father whom he often disagreed with on political matters. Regarded as difficult and impatient, Wilhelm had a modestly successful career in the Prussian Army. During the Great War, Wilhelm served on the Prussian General Staff where he often butted heads with other generals. Upon the death of his father Fredrick III in 1914 Wilhelm succeeded to the throne as King of the Germans. Wilhelm II was considerably more conservative than his father and he chaffed under the liberal constitution of the new Federal Kingdom of Germany which granted him little decision making powers. Arguably one of the most controversial events during his reign was his 1923 confrontation with Wenzel Boch of the Liberal Federalist Party after he refused to recognize Boch as German Prime Minister. In the end, the German Parliament stripped the monarchy of the royal prerogative of approving prime ministers, effectively forcing the monarch out of legislatorial matters. In recent years Wilhelm II’s legacy has improved somewhat largely due to Gustaf Kurzmann’s influential book King of the Germans: The Reign of Wilhelm II and the creation of a united Germany. Kurzmann’s book argues that while Wilhelm II is often remembered today for confrontations with parliament, it was during his reign that the united German state solidified and became the leading political and economic force in Europe. In 1941 Wilhelm II died of a blood clot at the age of 82. He was succeeded to the throne by his son who was crowned Fredrick IV.

Last edited:
The Flag for the State of Jefferson

That's quite nice. Better than I could've done, with the sealin the middle. My only quibble would perhaps be that lion's heads feel a little too European, compared with the OTL state seals?

I almost wondered if you were gonna go with this

That flag was a crack at how the "state government" (read: publicity stuntmen) felt themselves double-crossed by Salem and Sacramento.

That flag was a crack at how the "state government" (read: publicity stuntmen) felt themselves double-crossed by Salem and Sacramento.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

I'd like to try to come up with flag designs for these new states and submit them for consideration, but I can't art.

That's quite nice. Better than I could've done, with the sealin the middle. My only quibble would perhaps be that lion's heads feel a little too European, compared with the OTL state seals?

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

I'd like to try to come up with flag designs for these new states and submit them for consideration, but I can't art.

I agree with the lion's head but the seal used is Thomas Jefferson's coat of arms.

Also I created all these flags in MS paint so really anybody can do and probably better than myself. I would love to see people's ideas for state or other nation's flags. Cheers!

I agree with the lion's head but the seal used is Thomas Jefferson's coat of arms.

Well, then I agree that it is only right that the state coat of arms should be similar.

Also I created all these flags in MS paint so really anybody can do and probably better than myself. I would love to see people's ideas for state or other nation's flags. Cheers!

The German flag is the standard black-red-gold, right? What is the flag of the Imperial Eurasian Federation? I have an idea that I think might work out. It's the white-gold-black "Romanov Flag", with the Imperial (two-headed) Eagle in the centre, surrounded by as many stars as there are states in the Federation.

I came up with a half-decent flag for Pasapa. Took the Sioux flag, put it off center, and added the original symbol for South Dakota when it was "the sunshine state".

I don't like the sizing of it, but not sure how to get that perfect. I wanted to put the seal of South Dakota inside it, but couldn't edit the text so that "South Dakota" would say "Pasapa" instead and still look alright.

Pasapa.png

I came up with a half-decent flag for Pasapa. Took the Sioux flag, put it off center, and added the original symbol for South Dakota when it was "the sunshine state".

I don't like the sizing of it, but not sure how to get that perfect. I wanted to put the seal of South Dakota inside it, but couldn't edit the text so that "South Dakota" would say "Pasapa" instead and still look alright.

I like it. But lets use your design as the base for the flag for Dakota. The following is what I have created for Pasapa.

Flag of Pasapa.png

1949: Part 4

Part 4: The Trinity Offensives

On November 1, 1949 Free Americas forces began what would prove to be the decisive action of the war. Known as the Trinity Offensives, the campaign consisted of three different operations separated by thousands of miles. Taking advantage of the Free Americas undisputed control of the sea, General Henslee's plan was to apply simultaneous pressure on the two main ground fronts then, with the majority of Peruvian and Bolivian forces fixed along the front lines, make amphibious landings in the enemy’s rear to cut off their avenue of escape.

Operation Karma

In the predawn hours of November 1st, U.S. and Mexican aircraft began striking Peruvian troop concentrations and supply depots along the Maranon River. The following day tens of thousands of Ecuadorian and Colombian troops began advancing south liberating the cities of Nauta and Concordia after fierce fighting. In an effort to retake Concordia on November 6th, the Peruvians once again deployed chemical weapons. Their effectiveness however was greatly reduced by the widespread dissemination of gas masks and FA forces were able to retain the city. The heaviest fighting on the Ecuadorian front occurred along the coast where American vessels pounded Peruvian strong points in the cities of Tumbes and Talara both of which would fall by the end of the month. Less successful was a hasty Free Americas effort to capture the Peruvian city of Piura which met with failure, resulting in both sides digging in for a protracted siege.

Operation Carerra

203paras001.gif

Troopers of the U.S. 31st Airborne Division landing behind enemy lines
November 9, 1949​

After months of trench warfare centered near the Chilean town of Chanaral, Free Americas forces were finally ready to resume the offensive. Named after the 19th century hero of Chilean independence, Operation Carerra began with a 30 hour aerial and artillery bombardment of Bolivian and Peruvian positions. At noon on November 8th Free Americas infantry swarmed forwared towards the enemy trenches. Although the majority of the attacking forces were Chilean, American troops played a decisive roll in breaking the stalemate. Especially effective were American cataphract units armed with the T5 Ocelot and T7 Puma which were well equipped to cross wire obstacles and reducing gun emplacements. Another important American contribution was the landing of elements of the 31st Airborne Division behind enemy lines. This was the first major use of airborne troops in military history but it proved a mixed success with roughly a quarter of the troops being “misdropped” by their aircraft. However, the threat of FA soldiers landing behind them and on their flanks severely unnerved the Peruvian and Bolivian commanders. After 8 days of tough fighting, Free Americas troops had effectively dislodged the enemy from their positions. Moreover, news of American and Mexican landings at Arica on November 15th threw Bolivian and Peruvian forces into a full fledge retreat to the north.

Operation Hippo

omaha-beach.jpg

U.S. Marines hitting the beach near Arica
November 15, 1949​

Operation Hippo would prove to be the most technically complex of the three offensives involving two separate amphibious landings on the Chilean coast. On November 15th, elements of the 1st Marine Division and a battalion of Mexican Naval Infantry landed amongst intense enemy fire at the port of Arica. Crucial to the landing’s success was the air cover provided by the presence of three American carriers, the USS Manifest Destiny, USS Abraham Lincoln, and USS Warrenton, that kept the skies free from enemy planes. By the end of the first day of fighting American and Mexican forces had penetrated as deep as 10 miles inland. Despite the heavy losses, the Arica landings were little more than a diversion for the larger landings to the south on November 17th at Antofagasta. After a short naval bombardment, Free Americas troops landed and immediately began pushing west catching the enemy by surprise. Despite the restricted terrain and the best efforts of the enemy, the city of Calama fell to FA soldiers after two days of bitter fighting on November 29th. The loss of Calama, effectively cut off the majority of the Peruvian and Bolivian forces in the south from their sanctuary to the north.

Taken altogether, the Trinity Offensives shattered the sense of stalemate which had characterized the ground war for the last eight months with the nations of the Free Americas taking the clear upper hand. In Lima and Sucre, fault lines in the ruling regimes widened as the prospect of victory or even a negotiated peace appeared to be worsening by the hour.

Last edited: