The Union Forever: A TL

Arthur Freiherr Arz von Straussenburg, one of the better A-H commanders during the OTL war,

Did Sam Houston and Samuel Colt die as OTL, during the early days of the US Civil War?

OH!
What about Dan Wesson and Horace Smith of Smith & Wesson?

How about some love for my favorite German, Kurt von Schleicher.

I am a bit curious about Sir Wilfrid Laurier.

All good names that I will hopefully get to in the near future.

African Redux

Hey everybody, looking at the maps below it is obvious that the exact colonial borders in Africa have been a little fuzzy over the course of this TL. I would like to create a series of definitive maps for this TL going all the way back to the POD. Does anybody have a good world map from 1862? Furthermore, I am unhappy with the way I have drawn the African territory that the British conquered from the French during the Great War. Does anybody care to weigh in on a more realistic African map? Any changes are permissible as long as it doesn’t contradict something already written in the TL. Thanks for all the help.

Africa Redux.png

A question for the board, which of the two maps above do people think is the most accurate? I want to get a firm foundation to base all future maps for the TL off of. Thanks.

A question for the board, which of the two maps above do people think is the most accurate? I want to get a firm foundation to base all future maps for the TL off of. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the Global version is more accurate. It is definitely the updated one, it doesn't skip most of the Pacific islands, Hawaii is where it actually is, and it shows relationships between states more accurately (ie. Sweden/Norway being in personal union, iirc). I know sizes of islands is MUCH more accurate. I'd go with that one.

I'm pretty sure the Global version is more accurate. It is definitely the updated one, it doesn't skip most of the Pacific islands, Hawaii is where it actually is, and it shows relationships between states more accurately (ie. Sweden/Norway being in personal union, iirc). I know sizes of islands is MUCH more accurate. I'd go with that one.

I agree. Could you point me towards a 1866 map of this version please. Thanks.

I agree. Could you point me towards a 1866 map of this version please. Thanks.

Going to look for one now good sir

I've posted a request in the basemap thread, hopefully one exists. According to the basemap news thread, it might not. I found an older version of 1870.

ucs_1871c.png

Last edited:
1949: Part 1

Part 1: The Atacama War Escalates

1949 would go down in history as one of the most important years of the twentieth century. During its 365 days the world would be forever changed as breakthroughs in science and political upheavals marked a dramatic turn in global affairs.

Leroy R. Conner takes Office

image_resize.php

President Leroy Conner during his first days in office
March, 1949

During his inauguration speech on March 4, 1949 President Leroy R. Conner outlined his administrations two chief goals. First and foremost Conner vowed to tackle the current civil rights issue and end racial segregation during his time in office. Conner’s second primary focus was on foreign policy with him declaring that he will take “decisive action” to support America’s ally Chile in their ongoing war with Peru and Bolivia and carryout the Republicans’ long held plan to forge some sort of permanent hemispherical alliance. Unbeknownst to Conner, developments in South America would soon escalate America’s involvement in the conflict far farther than he had originally intended.

Ecuador enters the War

In less than six months of fighting the invading armies of Bolivia and Peru had achieved their war aims of regaining territory that had been lost to the Chileans during the nineteenth century. Unfortunately for them however, the resolute Chilean President Arturo Diaz refused to negotiate any end to the conflict which ceded control of Chile’s northern provinces. This coupled with the heavily restricted terrain created a stalemate centered a few miles south of the Chilean town of Chanaral where both sides began to fortify in earnest. It was during this lull in the fighting that Peruvian dictator Armenta, without consulting his Bolivian ally, would make a decision that would dramatically alter the scope of the war.

attachment.php

Flag of the Republic of Ecuador​

Armenta wished to take advantage of his rise in stature after the resent triumph over Chile by trying to press Peru’s land claims against their longtime rival to the north the Republic of Ecuador. Although not wanting to spark an all out war, things soon spiraled out of control when on March 29, 1949 Peruvian and Ecuadorian soldiers clashed along the north bank of the Maranon River resulting in over 350 casualties. Ecuador, who only a few months ago had held their first real democratic elections in decades, cited the incident as declaration of war by the Armenta regime. The Maranon River incident sparked a firestorm in the American press who painted the attack as the second strike in an attempted to stamp out democracy in South America. In response, President Conner and the Republican controlled House of Representatives were able to pass a massive military and economic aid package to Ecuador and Chile through the Democratic Senate. Conner also authorized the deployment of a small number of military advisors to both Ecuador and Chile and sent American warships into the area to “monitor developments”.

Last edited:
Ooh. Wonder if Brazil might get pulled into this.

Fairly unlikely, iOTL, I don't think that Brazil ever got into a war against a nation which had (or ever had) a Pacific coastline. (I have no idea if Brazil declared war on Japan in WWII or not, I know it did against Germany and Italy)

Fairly unlikely, iOTL, I don't think that Brazil ever got into a war against a nation which had (or ever had) a Pacific coastline. (I have no idea if Brazil declared war on Japan in WWII or not, I know it did against Germany and Italy)
Secret Brazilian law not to get involved in the Pacific? :eek:

I agree it is unlikely that Brazil will get involved, although it would make things very interesting.

I don't know how similar/different they are from OTL but I suppose if there is any kind of rivalry (real or perceived) between Brazil and the US, perhaps over hegemony in South America, perhaps US's support of Chile/Ecuador could turn Brazil against them, if only for the sake of being seen as the dominant power in the region.

Again, not sure how realistic that is, but would make it interesting. I don't know what the US would have to gain from a war with Brazil, or what Brazil would think it had to gain.