The Union Forever: A TL

Hey everyone,

Please remember to vote for this TL in this year's Turtledove Awards. An update on the war in South America will be coming shortly. To tide ya'll over here is the flag for the Kingdom of Afghanistan which will be discussed in the next few updates. Thanks for your support.

Flag of Afghanistan.png

Hey everyone,

Please remember to vote for this TL in this year's Turtledove Awards. An update on the war in South America will be coming shortly. To tide ya'll over here is the flag for the Kingdom of Afghanistan which will be discussed in the next few updates. Thanks for your support.

That coat is from the 1921 flag, no?
Very nice flag, can you explain the colors, or will that be in a later update?

Glen

To my utter shock, I seem to have missed this timeline by and large, and in fact have never commented here. Excellent timeline, well thought out and written with some really fun divergences - it get's the Glen Seal of Approval (not to be confused with a Sealion).:cool:

Well, I woke up this morning expecting to have won the best continuing 19th Century TL but it looks like an 11th hour surge by Union and Liberty has beat us out. (Now I know how Romney must feel ;)). A tip of the hat to Wilcoxchar and his excellent Union and Liberty TL. Thanks for everybody who voted, we did extremely well and with any luck this TL will be around for next year's Turtledove. Cheers!

Well, I woke up this morning expecting to have won the best continuing 19th Century TL but it looks like an 11th hour surge by Union and Liberty has beat us out. (Now I know how Romney must feel ;)). A tip of the hat to Wilcoxchar and his excellent Union and Liberty TL. Thanks for everybody who voted, we did extremely well and with any luck this TL will be around for next year's Turtledove. Cheers!

You're taking it better than I am :cool: 2 freakin' votes!
Stay classy, and MORE UPDATES!

To my utter shock, I seem to have missed this timeline by and large, and in fact have never commented here. Excellent timeline, well thought out and written with some really fun divergences - it get's the Glen Seal of Approval (not to be confused with a Sealion).:cool:

You're taking it better than I am :cool: 2 freakin' votes!
Stay classy, and MORE UPDATES!

This TL is amazing, keep up the good work! can't wait to see how the 2nd Atacama war ends.

Thanks for ya'lls support. Should be having a new update soon. Cheers!

Profile: William H. Taft
this is one of mi favorites TL of the site

plis don't screw mi country too much :D

Once again this is a marvelous TL Mac Gregor! I'm absolutely loving the post war history! Keep up the good work.

Just finished reading the TL as posted in completed TL's. Pretty damn good. Pretty damn good indeed.

Thanks for all of the support. Here is another tidbit to tide ya'll over.

The People of the Union Forever
Part 8

union.png

William H. Taft (1857-1933)

whtaft-port.jpg

William Howard Taft was born in 1857 near Cincinnati, Ohio. A gifted student, Taft graduated from Yale University in 1877 but turned down plans to attend law school with the outbreak of the Spanish-American War. Like many other men of his generation he volunteered for service and served as a second lieutenant in the United States Army. During the war, Taft saw considerable action fighting under George A. Custer in the Cuban Overland Campaign and in the Battle of Havana. Finding army life to his liking, William “Big Bill” Taft, stayed in the army, serving at a number of posts in the American West. In the early 1880’s, Taft returned to Ohio where he became a successful business and family man raising six children with his wife Nellie Grant, the daughter of Civil War Major General Ulysses S. Grant. With the outbreak of the Great War in Europe in 1907 and the prospect that America could be dragged into the conflict, Taft and two other concerned citizens founded the Frontier Rangers of America, an organization for local young boys to teach them patriotism, civic duty and wilderness survival skills. The Frontier Rangers of America, often known simply as the Rangers, would spread like wildfire during the war years where they participated in numerous scrap metal drives and public safety campaigns. The Ranger Movement would prove to be such a huge success that Taft would serve as the organization's first president, or Chief Ranger, founding chapters in every state in the Union as well as planting the movement in the United Kingdom and Germany. Taft died in 1933 at the age of 76. He was buried in Cincinnati, Ohio in his Frontier Ranger uniform.

factsheet_taft.jpg

William "Big Bill" Taft with chapter #1 of the Frontier Rangers of America

Last edited: