The Union Forever: A TL

I'd like to know what will be the changes to other countries in ATL!2000 like Australia and Canada. We didn't mention them much.

If you want, I can write up a few pieces on Australia with author approval.

I'd like to know what will be the changes to other countries in ATL!2000 like Australia and Canada. We didn't mention them much.

If you want, I can write up a few pieces on Australia with author approval.

That would be great! Send them to me so I can bless off on them. cheers!

I wonder if America will ever have a Technocratic president
It'd be a hard sell for a politician who subscribes to an anti-democratic ideology to ask people to vote for him or her.
Maybe a politician who is really close to being in one of the 2 major parties, but has some democratic-techno slant in his views.

IEF 2000 General Election
Imperial Eurasian Federation
2000 General Election

upload_2016-6-22_22-30-12.png

Anti Motherland Party rioters battle security forces
March, 2000​

The world awoke on the first day of the new millennium to gravely disturbing reports from the Imperial Eurasian Federation. The new acting Prime Minster Mitya Kuznetsov of the conservative Motherland Party had suspended the long awaited general election after the startling assassination of Bronislav Mihoylev. Unsurprisingly opposition groups immediately took to the streets. Strikes by transportation workers paralyzed the country as many refused to go to work until a new imminent date for the election was set. Kuznetsov pressured the aging and often ill Empress Elizabeth II to delay the elections for two months “in order to ensure proper security.” The Empress, who was furious with Kuznetsov for his likely unconstitutional suspension of the election in the first place, reluctantly agreed. Kuznetsov with the backing of many in IEF General Staff and security agencies launched a hurried crackdown on all forms of dissent. Under the guise of trying track possible accomplices in Mihoylev’s assassin, Poland and many other non-ethnic Russian regions of the IEF were effectively placed under martial law. While many Russian conservatives did believe that there was indeed some sort of wider conspiracy, these repressive means were more likely aimed at keeping the Motherland Party in power. A sizable portion of Russian conservatives thought that if the Motherland Party was to lose control of the government, the war in Manchuria would be lost and the nation itself might splinter.

As the citizens of the IEF went to the polls on March 2, 2000 many were greeted by the sight of Imperial Army troops patrolling the streets. In numerous places in the IEF where the Motherland Party was known to not be popular, voters found that their polling stations were either blocked, closed, or that their registration was not in order. A string of bombings and attacks on polling stations in Manchuria prompted the extraordinary declaration from the electoral commission that roughly 38% of ballots would not be counted for fear of enemy “coercion and contamination.”

On the morning of March 4, the results were finally announced. Contrary to nearly all pre-election polls, Motherland and other allied rightwing parties won a majority capturing 53% of the seats in the Duma. Yevgen Pasternak the Ukrainian born leader of Soyuz radi Progressa (Alliance for Progress) the main opposition coalition ridiculed the election as “a fraud, a farce, an outright lie.” In a radio address delivered from party headquarters in St. Petersburg that evening, Pasternak denounced the election results, refused to participate in the new Duma, and demanded that new elections “free of government and military intimidation” be called forthwith. Significantly, Pasternak declared that Kuznetsov’s government was illegitimate and that the subjects of the IEF “should resist any and all actions, decrees, or guidance” that it issues. Pasternak soon found himself in a standoff as security forces and his supporters squared off around his besieged party headquarters

The demonstrations and strikes of the previous months paled in comparison to the violent riots that swept the country that night. In Baku, a mob sacked police headquarters and tore down the IEF tricolor. At Odessa, dockworkers set fire to an unguarded naval supply ship. Throughout the Baltic, crowds took to the streets engaging in numerous confrontations with Imperial Army soldiers, the bloodiest being in Riga where over 112 people were killed or severely wounded. Empress Elizabeth II was scheduled to make a televised address from the Winter Palace that night to urge calm and restraint but the broadcast failed to happen. Various rumors that she had suffered a stress-induced stroke or been forcibly silenced by the government spread like wildfire.

Arguably the most significant event that night, however took place at Yakovlov Prison on the outskirts of the Siberian city of Omsk. In the early morning hours of March 5, as security forces were busy around the country with the growing unrest, around 40 heavily armed men stormed the complex with guns blazing. With help from some bribed guards, the attackers managed to quickly locate and free Ismail Fitrat, the leader of the Turkic People’s Vanguard, who had been imprisoned there for nearly 14 years. A few dozen other high profile political prisoners were also freed. Fitrat was later seen headed south towards Kazahkiya and his base of support in Central Asia where the enraged populace was already rioting and ripe for rebellion.

Last edited:
And here we GO!

With Central Asia about to explode and the situation in Manchuria probably going to go downhill very fast, will there be similar uprisings in Poland, Ukraine, Finland, the Baltics, or the Caucasus?

Shit. The one woman who can possibly talk sense to the Ultranationalists is in "protective custody". Yep; mega-Yugoslavia activate!

While the IEF could still be saved, the chances are declining by the day, and it's Motherland's fault.
Curse you Motherland :mad: If the beautiful IEF is destroyed, it will be, in large, your fault. You silenced the sensible Empress, you stole an election, and you displayed no respect to the ethnic minorities of the IEF.
Let me say it again... Curse you Motherland :mad:.

Last edited:
Makes me wonder whether this is setting the stage for a sort of IEF Civil War/Breakup of Yugoslavia/Soviet Union scenario. Honestly I don't even think those scenarios can be compared to this! This is just crazy in terms of the numbers of people/geography involved.

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
What scares me is this is Yugoslavia level unrest and possibly civil war/breakup but with a powerful nuclear state that I doubt will go quietly into the night, though the threat of nukes may keep China out of the war.

So we have loyalists versus nationalists versus various separatists across the country with the Technocrats, the Europeans and others looking on.

So the Motherland Party is the main factor in the breakup of the largest country and monarchy on Earth due to xenophobic, racist, militaristic and paranoid policies and actions.

Well done.

:mad: