The Union Forever: A TL

1991: Foreign and Domestic Developments

Foreign and Domestic Developments

VdBJnlZ.png

Fùzhì the first successfully cloned animal​

The 1991 World’s Fair was held in the Chinese capital of Peking. In a powerful blend of the ancient with the modern, the Chinese Technate staged an impressive spectacle. Visitors could tour the ancient Forbidden City then stroll to Heng Jiang Plaza, formally known as Tiananmen Square, to see the latest technology. Easily the biggest attraction at the fair was Fùzhì a chow chow and the first successfully cloned animal.

In the British dominion of the Federated States of West Africa, the African Nationalist Party gained control of the Federal government in the January general election. Over the course of the next ten months the Nationalists leader Isatou Camara, a veteran of the Asia-Pacific War turned lawyer and politician, pushed through a referendum for full independence. West Africa’s abrupt departure from the British Commonwealth was a slap in the face to British Prime Minister Ned Fraiser who had campaigned on keeping the Commonwealth together.

After months of negotiation, the Nuclear Arms Limitation Treaty (NALT) was signed in Geneva by representatives of the United States, China, France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom, Persia, and the IEF. The treaty limited the number of nuclear warheads to no more than 500 with a combined yield of no more than 75,000 kilotons. While the treaty was signed by individual nations, one of its unique features is that the signatories acted as “trusted guardians” for their various alliances. That is to say that they alone would be allowed to operate nuclear weapons in their various alliance systems. Therefore France and Italy which had developed nuclear weapons under a joint program and were both members of the Turin Pact were only entitled to a combined total of 500 warheads. Likewise, Russia was in theory prevented from helping one of its allies, say Romania, from developing its own nuclear weapons. Reaction to the treaty varied. While most Americans supported the treaty, foreign policy hawks resented having to give up over a third of their nuclear arsenal. Anti-nuclear groups like the Better World Society thought the treaty didn’t go far enough and wanted the total abolition of nuclear weapons.

In July, the IEF announced the deployment of 80,000 additional troops to squash the growing bands of technocratic and nationalist insurgents plaguing Manchuria. With neighboring China providing sanctuary and support, IEF security forces had a very difficult time securing the area. The Manchurian Crisis, as the conflict was often known, proved deeply unpopular in the non-ethnic Russian parts of the IEF especially in Central Asia. Bronislav Mihaylov, now serving in his ninth year as Prime Minister, hoped to win the conflict before the IEF destabilized further.

In November, the movie Void Quest by American director J.S. Mathieson broke all preexisting records to become the biggest box office bomb to date losing an estimated $98,000,000. An extravagant in not somewhat bewildering space opera, Void Quest became a synonym for cinema debacle. The flop bankrupted the studio West Coast Entertainment and ruined Mathieson who would eventually immigrate to Tibet to live out his life as a Buddhist monk. Curiously, over the years Void Quest would develop a cult following with regular midnight screenings for its devoted fans.

Having failed to gain statehood during the chancellorship of Herman Lasker, the German colony of Cameroon saw a series of protests and demonstrations by various groups upset with the status quo. Some organizations such as the Deutsch-Kamerun Partnerschaft (DKP) wished for complete integration while other like the Kameruner Volks Dämmerung (KVD) wanted full domestic autonomy if not outright independence. In Berlin, the new conservative government of Ernst Osterloh largely ignored the situation but did send a commission under Stanislaw von Hassel to “formulate possible future options.”

Last edited:
I'm worried about the future of the Federated States of West Africa.
Technocratic regimes are not to be trusted.

West Africa might meet much problems on future. There is many different ethnic groups and there might be too some conflicts between Muslims and CHristians.

Another nest of problems might be Nigeria.

Good work Void Quest. Though I think that should say 'studio' not 'study'?

What exactly about Void Quest was bad?

The quest. There just wasn't much substance.

Void Quest had a number of things going against it. It was massively expensive but the tone of the movie was to dark for mainstream audiences to connect. The film also suffered from bad acting although some have blamed the poor writing and not the actors. Comparing it to our timeline I would say it is closest to a weird blend of David Lynch's Dune with the Wachowski's Jupiter Ascending.

Question: If nukes haven't been used and are seen as really big bombs, why is there a well known nuclear disarmament group?

These have tested and some results not be very nice looking.

Good question Roland Traveler.

Lalli is right. Tests, especially German ones in Cameroon, have a well documented history of causing radiation poisoning and destroying he environment. However, even before that there were still anti-nuclear groups who understood that nuclear weapons weren't simply "big bombs." You don't actually need to see wartime results to grasp that a weapon that can destroy an entire city and irradiate the countryside is a threat.

I'm worried about the future of the Federated States of West Africa.
Technocratic regimes are not to be trusted.

West Africa might meet much problems on future. There is many different ethnic groups and there might be too some conflicts between Muslims and CHristians.

Another nest of problems might be Nigeria.

You are right to be worried about the FSWA, however Camara's regime isn't Technocratic its Pan-African Nationalists. I'll cover more on this during the next update. Lalli does make a good point both the FSWA and Nigeria are a hodgepodge of different ethnic groups.

Well, looks like a war will definitely be breaking out in Asia. The IEF wants to win the war, but they can't win the war until China stops funding insurgents, which is not going to happen. Although, for all the noise that those Central nations within the IEF are making, would they prefer to be one of a series of Chinese-dominated technates instead? The devil you know, and all.

Poor Cameroon. Give them some recognition now, Germany. I mean, there has to be a sizable population of ethnic Germans there, now. I imagine that the economic difficulties in completely integrating the African province are limiting, but it is the center of the German Space Program, isn't it?

For that matter, what are the demographics within German Cameroon, along with Belgian Congo, French Algeria, and Italian Tunisia & Tripolitania? How close are the rest to direct integration with the metropole politically as well as economically?

Well, looks like a war will definitely be breaking out in Asia. The IEF wants to win the war, but they can't win the war until China stops funding insurgents, which is not going to happen. Although, for all the noise that those Central nations within the IEF are making, would they prefer to be one of a series of Chinese-dominated technates instead? The devil you know, and all.

Poor Cameroon. Give them some recognition now, Germany. I mean, there has to be a sizable population of ethnic Germans there, now. I imagine that the economic difficulties in completely integrating the African province are limiting, but it is the center of the German Space Program, isn't it?

For that matter, what are the demographics within German Cameroon, along with Belgian Congo, French Algeria, and Italian Tunisia & Tripolitania? How close are the rest to direct integration with the metropole politically as well as economically?

All excellent questions.

German Cameroon: As of 1990, Cameroon has a population of 16,840,000 of which 9% is German. Cameroon is heavily tied to Germany economically and is the center of the German space program.

Belgian Congo: After the loss of the eastern part of the country in 1984, White Belgians make up 1.9% of the remaining Dominion of the Congo's population. All other Europeans, mostly Germans, make up another 1%. The DotC has partial self-government and will have a referendum on full independence in 1994. Its major trading partners remain Belgium, Germany, and the rest of the Association of European States.

French Algeria: Algeria is fully integrated into France as provinces. Unless I have posted something different elsewhere, French Whites make up roughly 12% of the population.

Italian North Africa: Like Algeria it is a constituent part of the mother country. White Italians make up 14% of the population.

Last edited:
Special thanks to Lalli for attempting to nominate this TL for a Turtledove. However I was surprised to learn that I won back in 2011, and am therefore ineligible to run this year. Thanks for your support.

sHtBaCE.png

TUF Retcons

Hey everyone, wanted to give y'all a heads up that I have been updating this TL in the Finished TL Thread as can be found here. It has been slow going due to the poor quality of the early posts but I have just finished through 1862. Although the overarching story will stay the same I have made a few retcons.

1) Following the fall of Richmond in June 1862, The Confederate and Virginia State governments flee to Lynchburg not Danville. I made this change because Danville was tiny in 1862 with only a few hundred residents. ITTL as in ours, Lynchburg was the largest Virginian city not to fall into Union hands.

2) ITTL I have replaced Joseph E. Johnston with Edmund Kirby Smith as commander of the Army of Tennessee. I did this because I doubt that Jefferson Davis would give Johnston such an important command so soon after loosing the Confederate capital.

3) The Proclamation for Emancipation and Restoration of the Union (P.E.R.U.) now has a suspense date of January 1, 1863 not March 1, 1863. I thought it was more believable for Lincoln to give a four month period for Confederate states to rejoin the Union instead of the longer six.

4) There have also been some other small changes regarding dates, battles, and commanders which will hopefully make this TL more accurate.

Let me know what y'all think of these changes and if you have any other suggestions. Cheers!

Apologies for not having a proper update. Here is the TL's flag of Nevada to tide you over.

cjsxu7F.png

Although Nevada joined the Union in 1868 it did not adopted a state flag until 1901. The gold and silver stripes represent the state's abundant mineral wealth. The two stars stand for the state's motto Freedom and Progress. The blue of the central stripe is the same as that on the American Flag.