The Union Forever: A TL

To put it in perspective, Greece was very possibly the most democratic country on the planet.

I'm frankly not sure I understand your argument here. Are you saying that because Greece gave people the vote earlier than most other places, that means they're 100% immune to backsliding? You do know they had a military government IOTL, right?

To put it in perspective, Greece was very possibly the most democratic country on the planet.

Oh, that all men can vote means that the country is totally free? And in OTL Greece had military government on 1960's and 1970's. Sounds that you very free? And even that there is elections doesn't mean that these would be free and fair. In Mubarak's Egypt in OTL was too elections but they were far from free.

• In June, the world of horse racing was rocked by allegations that previous year’s Triumvirate winner Blue Rampage had used steroids.[1] The fallout of the scandal led to stricter drug testing standards as well as a short jail term for horse owner Herschel Stallworth.

I wasn't aware you could administer steroids to horses.

I was bored. Heres a better map of the world before the great war. A couple questions, what exactly were the fronts of the Chinese Civil War at this point, are the borders in Africa correct? Anything else?

Something seems off to me about the Nebraska border; do they have the panhandle in this timeline? Also, Alaska and Hawai'i are definitely territories at this time. I can't remember which other nations were.

There should be no American Panama territory; it was purchased after the Great War. The Panama Canal should be French, and the rest belonging to Panama.

St. Pierre and Miquelon should be French as well. Belize should be a British colony. I don't think Iceland should be independent at this time. The Palatinate should belong to Bavaria, not Prussia. Poland's eastern border looks a little wonky. Vatican City is missing. Dalmatia belongs to Austria proper, while Bosnia should be separate from them both (I believe) or still under condominium with the Ottomans.

I'm not sure if Tuva should be independent at this point. Should Nepal be shown the same as Bhutan and Sikhim? It seems odd for them to be shown differently than those two. Also, New Caledonia should be long to France; it went to Australia after the war. Southeast Papua should be a separate colony from Australia (I think)

I think that Vatican was part of Italy on this point.

But there is few things more:

Afghanistan and Nepal were under influence of United Kingdom.

Korea was part of Japan.

Sweden-Norway was still exist.

I think that Siam-French Indochina border is wrong.

Ireland get dominion status after Great War.

Clipperton belong to France before Great War.

Ah, point. I forget about the Vatican captivity.

Also, about the African internal borders: I think that Tunis is still separate from Tripolitania. The Tripolitanian-Algerian border shown is the one that was finalized after the war (I think. It was a result of the retcon of the world maps). I think Cameroon was the same, and it was closer to the OTL borders. (Maybe. take that one with a grain of salt)

Nebraska border is wrong, it will be fixed

Indeed, the Panama Canal should be French while the rest goes to Columbia

St. Pierre and Miquelon are indeed French

Belize is British. Its just hard to see because of the claim lines of Guatemala

I guess the Palatine should go to Bavaria, the old maps have it as a Prussian puppet.

I gave Poland and extra province by mistake

Vatican city didn't exist

I will give Dalmatia to Austria, but I would like to see MacGregors opinion on the situation in Bosnia

Tuva actually is De Jure independent, so are Tibet, East Turkestan, and Mongolia, China is colored by spheres of influence, I was reading the old chapters, China is even more of a mess than OTL at this point, as the civil war between Imperialist and Republicans dragging on

Afghanistan and Nepal ARE under British influence, forgot to put that on the map

Is Korea part of Japan? I'm pretty sure its just a puppet

Sweden-Norway is still a thing. Forgot it lasted long ITTL

I think the Siam-French border is wrong too, but I don't know what it would be

Again, I'm pretty sure Ireland was already a dominion

I will give clipperton to France

You are probably right about Africa. I will change that.

SuperFrog, I hope you get bored more often because I have been wanting to redo some of the old maps for a while.:D Thanks!

To touch on some of the things discussed...

Concerning the Chinese Civil War; The Imperials would be based mostly in the north with their capital in Peking. The Republicans are largely in the south with their capital in Canton. The west is still fought over by various warlords so most of Tibet, Mongolia, Tuva, and Uyghurstan (known early in the TL as East Turkestan) is probably under local control but they won’t become officially independent until the civil war's end in 1921. I also don’t think the French would have that much of southern china.

Concerning Africa's borders; Looks good although honestly the internal border for France’s African colonies are up for debate.

Some things that have been mentioned the Nebraska/Laramie border needs to be fixed, Sweden-Norway exists, Iceland is not independent, Bhutan and Sikkim should be princely states. Ireland did not become a dominion until 1919.

Bosnia should be part of Austria-Hungary

The Siam-French Indochina border should resemble what it looks like currently in the TL.

Korea should be part of Japan (this was a retcon change).

I would remove Argentina’s provincial borders as they never have been discussed ITTL so I imagine there would be changes. Let me know if anybody has any ideas.
Thanks again for all the help!

Kendrick Arneson(1891-1920)

Kendrick Arneson in his flying gear.

Born in Smithville, Absaroka, May 14th, 1891, Kendrick Arneson was determined to make a name for himself. At 18, shortly after graduating high school, Arneson joined the army to fight in the Great War. After a few months in the trenches, Arneson transferred to the Air Force where he quickly rose in rank to Sergeant. After the war, he stayed in the Air Force and was eventually promoted to Captain. He married Maud Lindburgh on June 12th, 1912. They had four children, Theresa, Joan, Irene and Robert. A believer and promoter of flight Arneson saw the potential of the airplane to connect the world together. Sadly, Kendrick Arneson was killed in a plane crash on June 19th, 1920 at age 29.

rick007 thanks again for another great installment, keep them coming. Am I correct in assuming that Maud Lindbergh is a relative of OTL's Charles Lindbergh? I'm not sure about Arneson joining the "Air Force." ITTL their was and still is no independent Air Force. How about him joining the U.S. Army Flying Brigade?

rick007 thanks again for another great installment, keep them coming. Am I correct in assuming that Maud Lindbergh is a relative of OTL's Charles Lindbergh? I'm not sure about Arneson joining the "Air Force." ITTL their was and still is no independent Air Force. How about him joining the U.S. Army Flying Brigade?

Yeah, I wondered whether I should make it the Army/Air Force. Maud Lindbergh is Charles Lindbergh ITTL.

I'm frankly not sure I understand your argument here. Are you saying that because Greece gave people the vote earlier than most other places, that means they're 100% immune to backsliding? You do know they had a military government IOTL, right?

Oh, that all men can vote means that the country is totally free? And in OTL Greece had military government on 1960's and 1970's. Sounds that you very free? And even that there is elections doesn't mean that these would be free and fair. In Mubarak's Egypt in OTL was too elections but they were far from free.

I'm not saying it can't become authoritarian, just that something had to happen for that to occur, and I'd like to know what that thing was.

How exactly did Greece become "not free?" In OTL, it granted universal male suffrage before essentially any other nation in Europe, in 1844.

Ah yes, because universal male suffrage = perfect democracy.

I'm not saying it can't become authoritarian, just that something had to happen for that to occur, and I'd like to know what that thing was.

frustrated progressive excellent question. Let me explain. As you mentioned Greece did grant universal male suffrage extremely early. However, as in OTL, this doesn't mean it was exactly fully "free" in our sense of the word and the situation would vary from time to time as the monarchy and parliament vied for power. ITTL the death knell of Greek freedom was the Great War when the country was militarized. Since then a conservative coalition of monarchists and the Greek Army has kept Greece from becoming a true democratic country. The Russians/IEF have been all to happy since the Great War to help Greek conservative remain in control.

Last edited:
Alright, updated map. Is midway still separate from Hawaii at this point ITTL? Since Germany has no colonies before the great war, what happens to their sphere of influence in China? I gave it to France, while giving its concession ports to the dutch (France already has concessions at those places), though thats probably illogical. Would their still be South American border disputes at this time? Does the condominium between Britain and France over Vanuatu exist here?

the union forever after the war.png

Alright, updated map. Is midway still separate from Hawaii at this point ITTL? Since Germany has no colonies before the great war, what happens to their sphere of influence in China? I gave it to France, while giving its concession ports to the dutch (France already has concessions at those places), though thats probably illogical. Would their still be South American border disputes at this time? Does the condominium between Britain and France over Vanuatu exist here?

Thanks for updating the map! This will be a big help when I start updating this in the completed TL forum.

Midway Atoll (known as Middlebrook Atoll ITTL) was then and is now part of Hawaii. Prussia had a concession in Tianjin along with other European nations but did not have a exclusive port like Tsingtao in OTL. There are still border disputes in South America between Chile and Bolivia over the Pacific coast and between Bolivia and Paraguay over the Chaco region. Because of poorer relations between the UK and France there was no condominium over Vanuatu (then and now known as the New Hebrides). Before the great war the islands belonged to France and were acquired by the UK in the peace treaty. Also, southern Papua is probably a British not Australian colony.

1990: Domestic Developments

Domestic Developments

attachment.php

NAVIHO satellite in orbit

On March 16, America’s space-based global navigation program, commonly referred to as NAVIHO for Navigational Homing Orbitals, became fully operational with the launch of the 24th satellite in the system’s constellation. NAVIHO replaced earlier positioning systems created by the U.S. Navy and was open to anyone who had a receiver. In the decades to come the NAVIHO system would expand and become integral to the development of self-driving autos and autonomous unmanned machines.

In the fall, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled 7 to 4 in Chicago Business Advocacy Council v. United States that federal law limiting financial contributions to political campaigns was constitutional.

In a landmark piece of legislation, President Lincoln signed into law the 1990 Military Reform Act in September. Arguably the biggest overhaul of the U.S. Army and Navy in American history, many of the changes had been hotly debated since the Asia-Pacific War. The single largest reform was that the Departments of War and Navy were now placed under a single Department of Defense. The Navy was increased to seven fleets; North Atlantic, South Atlantic, West Pacific, South Pacific, Central Pacific, East Pacific, and Indian Ocean. The fact that four of these fleets were located in the Pacific was not lost on China who decried the military expansion as a threat to peace. The Marine Corp, which remained under the Navy, was reduced to a single division of four brigades. America’s nuclear arsenal of over 800 warheads remained divided between the navy’s submarines and the army’s bombers and ballistic missiles. While some had called for an independent “Air Force” this was rejected by the Army and Navy. The Army Air Corp was reorganized into three aviation divisions. The rest of the Army was expanded to ten divisions. President Lincoln hoped that these reforms would better enable the United States to ensure global stability in a world increasingly divided between rival power blocs.

Division Name "Nickname" (HQ location)
1st Infantry Division “First to Fight” (Ft. Greene, North Carolina)
2nd Aviation Division “Ready Steady” (Ft. Roosevelt, New York)
3rd Infantry Division “Crocodiles” (Ft. Kheillor, Hawaii)
5th Cataphract Division “Rolling Thunder” (Ft. Oglethorpe, Georgia)
7th Infantry Division “Caesar’s Own” (Ft. Sherman, California)
8th Air Cavalry Division “Roughshod” (Ft. Stuart, Cuba)
10th Aviation Division “Thunderbirds” (Ft. Jackson, Tennessee)
17th Cataphract Division “Battle Born” (Ft. Grant, Ohio)
28th Cataphract Division “Rhinos” (Ft. Sheridan, Laramie)
31st Airborne Division “Cloud Soldiers” (Ft. Ramirez, Panama)
42nd Aviation Division “ Gryphons” (Ft. Sumner, Washington)
64th Infantry Division “Daredevils” (Ft. Simpson, Guiana)
88th Infantry Division “Los Locos” (Ft. Bell, Arizona)

Last edited:
Which branch of the military is in charge of space operations?

Is there a worldwide "orbital" imaging project in the US like the OTL Landsat program? OTL it started in 1972, and by 1990 the Landsat 5 could image the entire planet in 16 days. I imagine there are competing nations with similar programs, but without the cold war space race there mightn't've been such a push for them.

Which branch of the military is in charge of space operations?

Is there a worldwide "orbital" imaging project in the US like the OTL Landsat program? OTL it started in 1972, and by 1990 the Landsat 5 could image the entire planet in 16 days. I imagine there are competing nations with similar programs, but without the cold war space race there mightn't've been such a push for them.

Well, it has been stated that space technology is more primitive than OTL, but with new tensions starting to heat up between the forces of liberalism and technocracy I'm not so sure that will be the case any time sooner, especially since the technocrats have a much strong industrial and technological base than the Soviets did at the end of the war.

Wasn't Samoa in its' entirety a US territory at this point as well, or was that retconned?

And great update, Mac Gregor. I like that there's still an Army Air Corps.