The Union Forever: A TL

Good comments y'all. To discuss a few points..

1) Indeed the Compact death toll was higher. This was due to a few reasons such as the Allies having better technology, some of the bloodiest fighting happening on their territory (Indochina, India, Hainan, Formosa, etc.), and starvation due to the Allied blockade.

2) While not discussed there was a peace treaty with Venezuela known as the Treaty of Mexico City. The treaty made minor border adjustments in favor of Colombia, outlawed corporatist parties, placed limitations on the Venezuelan military, called for democratic elections, and forbade Venezuela making a military alliance with a nation outside of the Western Hemisphere.

How did Guyana fare?

Hrm. I don't know if the natives of the island would be that happy. If I recall correctly, there has always been a great deal of friction between the Taiwanese and the mainland Chinese. OTL, the natives were not happy when Republic of China relocated to the island. After 85 years, I would think that they would have gotten used to the Japanese. They will be restless against Chinese efforts to reeducate the natives to consider themselves the same as the mainlanders.

That's what I have understood it to be too. I honestly don't think there were all that many native Han people on Formosa. I could be wrong though.

I will be worried about China's interference in Korea.

Thankfully, they don't have a land connection. There is only so much they can do. But with the IEF looking weaker, and the Tartary(ies) thinking about declaring independence, a rising China may attempt to readdress that status quo as well.

Regarding Korea, wasn't it supposed to be a buffer state after Japan pulled out of the Great War? Did it end up being a retcon like the original 2011 ending?

From this post(https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=5194421&postcount=1215):
Foreign Developments

Rise of the Kobushi Party

Flag of the Kobushi Party​

Following Japan’s withdrawal form the Great War per the stipulations of the Treaty of Honolulu, the Empire of Japan entered a prolonged period of self imposed isolation and introspection. The much despised treaty had ended Japanese influence in Manchuria and terminated their control over the Korean Peninsula which was established as a neutral buffer state between them and the Russians. With only Formosa remaining , the Japanese people were deeply resentful of the nation’s decline in status from great power to hermit kingdom. Utilizing this public disenchantment, Katsuo Akiyama , a former Japanese army officer and veteran of the Great War founded the rightwing Kobushi Party in 1929. Meaning “fist” in Japanese, Akiyama’s Kobushi Party sought to return the Japanese Empire to its former glory and end the parliamentarian bickering which he claimed had paralyzed the government since the Great War. In 1941, Akiyama became Prime Minister after a Kobushi led coalition of rightwing parties achieved control of the Japanese Diet. Within three years, Akiyama and his “Fisters” had solidified near total control over the government absorbing or banning all other political parties. Although he had reservations about the Kobushi Party and Akiyama in particular, Emperor Kazuo went along with their plans for Japan which called for a strong central imperial government, dramatically increased industrialization, greater emphasis on education, and an expansion of the empire’s military.

And from this post, which is why I'm wondering if there was a retcon(https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=6937927&postcount=2175):

Foreign Developments

• With the rise of Tatsuo Shimoji to the premiership of the Japanese Empire in June of 1951 the ruling Kobushi party began deliberate steps to consolidate the Empire’s possessions in preparation for future expansion. Having annexed the Korean Peninsula in 1899, the Japanese government after nearly 52 years of rule, issued the somewhat oddly titled Act of Cultural and Ethnic Understanding for the Perpetuation of National Unity which curtailed many of the regressive political and economic measures the Japanese had emplaced over the last half century. The act dramatically increased the ability of Koreans to travel and work in Japan as well as serve in the military. While Koreans remained second class subjects compared to full blooded Japanese and continued to be denied access to most decision making circles it did represent an important shift in government policy to be more inclusive of ethnic minorities. Although several hardliners in the Kobushi party opposed the policy most thought it a prudent step to try and co-opt the unruly and sometimes rebellious Koreans into becoming more productive members of the Empire.

Last edited:
Hrm. I don't know if the natives of the island would be that happy. If I recall correctly, there has always been a great deal of friction between the Taiwanese and the mainland Chinese. OTL, the natives were not happy when Republic of China relocated to the island. After 85 years, I would think that they would have gotten used to the Japanese. They will be restless against Chinese efforts to reeducate the natives to consider themselves the same as the mainlanders.

That's what I have understood it to be too. I honestly don't think there were all that many native Han people on Formosa. I could be wrong though.

You are correct in thinking that the native Taiwanese aren't happy about the Chinese moving in and reforming Formosan society around Technocratic lines. However, there aren't many Taiwanese aborigines. According to Wikipedia "On the eve of the Sino-Japanese War about 45 percent of the island was administered under direct Qing administration while the remaining was lightly populated by Aborigines.[34] In a population of around 2.5 million, about 2.3 million were Han Chinese and the remaining two hundred thousand were classified as members of various indigenous tribes" This should still hold true for the TL so there really aren't that many Taiwanese aborigninese. By 1976 ITTL, Formosa is majority Japanese (or assimilated Chinese) with a sizable Han minority and a tiny aboriginal population.

I will be worried about China's interference in Korea.

Thankfully, they don't have a land connection. There is only so much they can do. But with the IEF looking weaker, and the Tartary(ies) thinking about declaring independence, a rising China may attempt to readdress that status quo as well.

We will just have to wait and see what happens with Korea. Luminous does make some interesting points though.

Regarding Korea, wasn't it supposed to be a buffer state after Japan pulled out of the Great War? Did it end up being a retcon like the original 2011 ending?

From this post(https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=5194421&postcount=1215):

And from this post, which is why I'm wondering if there was a retcon(https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=6937927&postcount=2175):

Indeed, you are correct. Korea was retcon like the original ending. In the TL's current form Japan annexed Korea in 1899 and allowed to keep it after the Great War.

I know this has been brought up before about the TL's confusing retcons. Does anybody know which administrator and how to contact him in order to get those things changed?

True. I just remember reading somewhere (that I cannot find, so take it with a grain of salt) that even that Han that lived on the island thought of themselves differently than the mainland Han, especially after the first generation. Then again, with the majority of the islands population either Japanese or assimilated Japanese, the point is rather moot. The technocracy won't care, either, if there is a small population of Taiwanese Han descendents who aren't particularly fond of the mainland coming over and imposing their new order.

Also, if the trend is to a Russo-Sino war, things could get rather messy. China has already lost a ton of manpower, and their reserves aren't bottomless. If Russia proper starts to be threatened, and considering the relative isolation of the Russian heartland from the front compared to the Chinese heartland, we could finally see our first use of nuclear weapons in war, to a degree much worse than OTL. China may bite off more than they can chew.

Indeed, you are correct. Korea was retcon like the original ending. In the TL's current form Japan annexed Korea in 1899 and allowed to keep it after the Great War.

I know this has been brought up before about the TL's confusing retcons. Does anybody know which administrator and how to contact him in order to get those things changed?

Nah, leave them so that there's technically two timelines. We just need to track down the POD between them.

Report the posts, and in the report box ask them to either delete the posts or (my recommendation) have them insert a big red RETCONNED across the top or something like that.

You could also PM CalBear or TDM.

Report the posts, and in the report box ask them to either delete the posts or (my recommendation) have them insert a big red RETCONNED across the top or something like that.

You could also PM CalBear or TDM.

I particularly agree with the latter, TBH; it'd still get the message across, but it would also ease the mods' workload as well. :)

I particularly agree with the latter, TBH; it'd still get the message across, but it would also ease the mods' workload as well. :)

It would be the same on their workload, but have the benefit of showing up in the mods' forum so they can see if someone else already took care of it rather than seeing it in their inbox and going to fix it, only for it to already have been taken care of.

1980: Foreign and Domestic Developments

Foreign and Domestic Developments

250px-Salyut_7_from_Soyuz_T-13.jpg

German Space Station Freiden
February, 1980

In February, Germany’s Imperial Space and Aeronautics Commission established the world’s first space station, the Freiden. Having completed their lunar program the previous year after seven successful landings, the German Empire viewed the Freiden as the next step for further manned exploration of the solar system.

On April 25, the 1,200 km North African High-Speed Railway began service from Oran to Tunis. A joint French-Italian project, the railway was at the time the longest high-speed railway in the world. While celebrated by most as an engineering marvel, some critics derided it as an over expensive ploy to placate France and Italy’s North African citizens.

1980 in the United States saw the dramatic rise in popularity of a music genre called metcrew. Made popular by artists such as Heather Durand and the band The Plumbers, metcrew usually featured a piano, Spanish guitar, and drums. While metcrew songs covered a wide variety of topics, they are most remembered today for their wistful tone and sorrowful love ballads.

During the summer general election, German Chancellor Ulrich von Ritter and his Conservatives retained control of the government. Infighting amongst the Social and Christian Democrats seriously undermined their efforts to capitalize on public hostility to the ongoing war in the Belgian Congo. Following their defeat at the polls, the leadership of the Social and Christian Democrats began negotiations to merge their two parties in order to create a united front against Conservative dominance. However, by the end of the year a formal agreement remained elusive.

On October 12, the Technate of China exploded their first atomic bomb in the Gobi Desert under the cryptic code name “Shining Gear.” While originally designed for use against Japan during the Asia-Pacific war, Technate Chief Executive Heng Jiang believed that possessing nuclear weapons would only further his nation’s growing clout on the world stage.

In November, President Margaret Stewart was reelected by a landslide, capturing over 60% of the popular vote and a whopping 565 electoral votes. Her Republican challengers Lloyd Hostetler of Kentucky and Corrine Atherton of Washington, the nation’s first female vice presidential candidate, managed to win only Kentucky, Santo Domingo, and a handful of western states. Most pundits believed that Hostetler and Asherton did as well as could have been expected considering President Stewart’s popularity. In the end, military victory and a bustling economy made President Stewart all but unbeatable. The Democrats also managed to win the House of Representatives. The Republicans only consolation from the election was retaining control of the Senate.

attachment.php

Last edited:
So by this point ITTL, the Germans still have the lead in the space race, and are about 5yrs behind OTL? Any hints onto where there next few steps will lead?

No shocker on the US elections, though, nor Chinese instant sunshine.

After the war, it looks like a collective, "What's next?" across the globe.

And China joined to nuclear weapon camp. Possible war between IEF and China might be very bad for possible altough IEF has probably more nukes.