The Union Forever: A TL

Yes, please do continue the TL.

I'd be interested to know more about how the British feel about French control of Egypt. In the event of a war, the French seem perfectly able and ready to stop British goods and trade through the Suez canal. Do the British realize this? Has it impacted how they govern India? Does the Boer War still break out? How is British rule in South Africa progressing? How is the progress towards Dominion status progressing for Australia?

The set-up for the alt-WWI is very interesting from an American POV. The French Panama Canal is a very large potential threat. I expect it's paired with much greater competition for commercial ties in Latin America. What was the fate of Mexico, by the way? I can't recall. In any event, the US may be much more inclined to favor a side in the conflict, given the potential threat in the Western hemisphere.

To answer a few of your questions

1) Yes the British are very nervous that in the case of war France would cut off access to the Suez Canal. This is one of the reasons for the souring of Anglo-French relations

2) The Boer War has not broken out yet, but things might heat up in a few years. South Africa is ruled pretty much the same as OTL pre Boer War.

3) Yes, Australia is a British Dominion in the TL.

4) Mexico is slightly better off in the TL in that the Franco-Mexican war was significantly shorter than OTL's. Mexico is more stable and has good relations with the United States.

The 1900 Presidential Election Part 1: Robert Todd Lincoln

The 1900 Presidential Election

Part 1: The Republican Challenger Robert Todd Lincoln

RTL young.png

Robert Todd Lincoln
At Harvard Law

The eldest and only surviving son of President Abraham Lincoln, Robert Todd Lincoln grew up with the enormous weight and expectations of having such an illustrious father. Born on August 1st, 1843 in Springfield Illinois, Robert Lincoln would become the first of the Lincoln family to attend college graduating from Harvard in 1864. His schooling did prevent him from serving in uniform during the Civil War a fact which Robert regretted for the rest of his life. After graduating from Harvard Law, Robert Lincoln practiced law in Springfield until he was elected to the United States House of Representatives as a Republican in 1872 at the young age of 29. After serving four years as a Congressman, Robert Lincoln accepted the position of Secretary of War under President Arthur Boreman. It was during his stint as Secretary of War during the Spanish American War of 1877-1878 that Lincoln proved his genius for organization and launched Robert Lincoln to international prominence. Following the war with Spain, Robert Lincoln returned to Illinois and was elected to the U.S. Senate in 1882. Lincoln would serve as President Pro-tempore of the Senate for two years until the Democrats gained power in 1884. With the Democrats firmly in power Lincoln chose not to stay in Washington politics and declined to run for reelection. He did decide however, to run for Governor of Illinois and was elected for the first of his unprecedented three terms as Governor in 1888.

RTL middle age.png

Robert Todd Lincoln
As Secretary of War

By the time of the 1900 Presidential election, Robert Lincoln was one of the best qualified presidential candidates in American history having served as a Congressman, Secretary of War, Senator, and Governor in a political career that stretched back nearly 30 years. Throughout his years in office Robert Lincoln had developed a political philosophy that in years to come would be termed as Lincolnism or Lincolnian-Republicanism. The core tenants of which are usually defined by political scientists as

1) America having a proactive role on the world stage
2) Political rights for women and ethnic minorities.
3) Strict enforcement of the Monroe Doctrine and the notion of Manifest Destiny
4) Support for foreign democratic governments.
5) A robust military and strong national defense.
6) A free trade and a pro business economic climate while also targeting monopolies and protecting consumers.

By the end of the 1890’s Lincoln had become deeply troubled by the state of the country. Lincoln blamed Custer and the years of Democratic dominance for the ongoing economic depression. Lincoln also believed that Custer and his democratic predecessors had ignored America’s military and allowed foreign powers to encroach on the Western Hemisphere (i.e. France in Panama). And although Lincoln could have easily secured a fourth term as Governor of Illinois he decided to throw his hat into the crowded ring of Republican presidential candidates. Lincoln’s uniqueness soon stood out and at the 1900 Republican National Convention in St. Louis, Lincoln quickly emerged as the frontrunner and was overwhelmingly selected as the party’s choice on the first ballot. Lincoln’s acceptance speech would become one of the most well known speeches in American political history declaring that “the Twentieth Century will be America’s Century” and that “the day will soon come when this great republic will take its rightful place at the forefront of free nations.” The 57 year old Lincoln ended his passionate speech by declaring “with the Almighty God smiling upon our endeavors we cannot and will not fail! The Constitution and Union Forever!"

Robert Todd Lincoln.png

Robert Todd Lincoln
Republican Candidate for President

Last edited:
Given that speech, Robert's last name, and the real mediocrity of Custer's Presidency, I think Lincoln will take the election.

Im actually really excited for the prospect of a Robert Lincoln Presidency, its quite intriguing! Another reason why this TL is one of my favorite on the site.

Given that speech, Robert's last name, and the real mediocrity of Custer's Presidency, I think Lincoln will take the election.

Im actually really excited for the prospect of a Robert Lincoln Presidency, its quite intriguing! Another reason why this TL is one of my favorite on the site.

Thanks for your support!

Quite a speech Lincoln made there. His public speaking skills, as well as his time as a Congressman, the Secretary of War, and a Senator surely means he's one of the best qualified for the office of the Presidency! It'll deffinatly be intresting to see how things play out. Another great update from a great timeline! Keep it up!

~Lean

The 1900 Presidential Election Part 2: President Custer’s Last Stand

The 1900 Presidential Election
Part 2: President Custer’s Last Stand

The Democratic National Convention

At the 1900 Democratic National Convention in Cleveland, Custer was able to secure re-nomination as the party’s choice for president after beating out multiple disenchanted Democratic challengers. The ailing Vice President Boise however was replaced with Senator Thomas J. Stuart of Virginia the eldest son of former Colonel J.E.B. Stuart as the Democrats’ vice presidential candidate.

The Campaign

During the 1900 Presidential Election the Democrats sought to mobilize their base against Lincoln whom they saw as a “Radical Republican” and adopted a very regressive platform favoring protective tariffs, isolationism, and no change on the political rights of women and Negros. The Republicans, who ran a very progressive and reform minded campaign, were also aided greatly by Lincoln’s famous last name and used it to their advantage as demonstrated by their 1900 campaign song “Lincoln and Liberty” which was an updated version of Abraham Lincoln’s 1860 campaign song.

If Lincoln was the acme of passion, intellect, and energy, Custer was the embodiment of the direct opposite. Compared to their Republican challengers Custer and Stuart seemed lethargic and mentally utterly outmatched as shown when Lincoln trounced Custer is a series of wildly reprinted debates. The Republican candidate for Vice President Nathan Goff Jr., a close friend of Lincoln and former Secretary of the Navy and congressman from Virginia, would also handily outwit his counterpart, Thomas J. Stuart, in the first ever vice presidential debate in American history an occurrence that would not happen again for 32 years.

Republicans Victorious

When the votes were finally tallied Lincoln and his fellow Republicans won in one of the largest electoral sweeps in U.S. history. Lincoln carried nearly every state with a few exceptions in the Deep South and the State of Sequoyah. The Republicans now controlled the White House and both houses of Congress for the first time since 1882. In what would become known as the “Spirit of 1900” Robert Todd Lincoln assumed the office of president amid jubilation and equipped with a mandate for change.

RTL old.png

Robert Todd Lincoln
Republican from Illonios
22nd President of the United States

Custer’s Legacy

After his defeat, President George Armstrong Custer would retire to private life back in his home state of Ohio. Custer would harbor a deep since of betrayal by the American people until his death in 1905, having remarked to a friend “it would have been better if I been scalped fighting on the plains than to have been slain by the likes of politicians.” Custer has often been ranked as one of the worst presidents in American history. Indeed, Custer’s failings are all the more striking when compared with the accomplishments of the Lincoln Administration. However, Custer’s reputation has improved somewhat in recent years mainly due to Brian Darr’s 1993 documentary film Custer: the Soldier President which stressed Custer’s accomplishments during the Civil and Spanish American Wars and the 1897 Military Reform Act which would be of enormous benefit to the United States during the coming war.

Last edited:
Bravo, bravo! Another excellent update! So the Republicans have returned to the White House, fantastic! I quite like the part on Custer, and the ironic allusion toward his fate in OTL. Just out of curiosity, which Southern states didn't vote for Lincoln?

And so another Lincoln takes the United States into the 20th century, how fitting. I also love the Custer quote.

Upcoming war? Will the United States be involved? Or will the Military Reform Act only help the United States assert themselves from foreign influences?

Bravo, bravo! Another excellent update! So the Republicans have returned to the White House, fantastic! I quite like the part on Custer, and the ironic allusion toward his fate in OTL. Just out of curiosity, which Southern states didn't vote for Lincoln?

Thanks for kind words. The only states Lincoln didn't carry were Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, and Sequoyah.

Your 'The Depression of 1897' sounds similar to the Great Depression. Is the analog of the depression of 1893? I just wonder since a new major economic theory came out for the Great Depression.

Hey Everyone,

I am going on a cross country trip for the next few days. While I'm gone it would be great to start hearing some speculation about this TL's upcoming World War I.

I have a rough outline of how I think WWI will probably go down with at least France, Austria-Hungry, and the Ottoman Empire vs. Russia, Prussia, and Italy. The War will probable occur in the next 15 years.

However at this point I am still very open as to the roles of the minor European Powers as well as that of the UK, USA, Brazil, and Japan. Feel free to give your own explanations as to how WWI will start, how it will progress, and who will win.

Thanks for the feedback.

Hey Everyone,

I am going on a cross country trip for the next few days. While I'm gone it would be great to start hearing some speculation about this TL's upcoming World War I.

I have a rough outline of how I think WWI will probably go down with at least France, Austria-Hungry, and the Ottoman Empire vs. Russia, Prussia, and Italy. The War will probable occur in the next 15 years.

However at this point I am still very open as to the roles of the minor European Powers as well as that of the UK, USA, Brazil, and Japan. Feel free to give your own explanations as to how WWI will start, how it will progress, and who will win.

Thanks for the feedback.

WWI could start over a host a reasons. I'd guess it'll be over German unification though. Neither France nor Austria really wants to see a unified Germany under the Prussians. The Ottomans might just get dragged in for fun.

I like to see a Korea that isn't under Japan's yoke...too late for that :(
Maybe it gets is freedom back? The US is one of the nations it approached for assistance for modernizing.

Maybe the US and Britain come to blows over South America? Or maybe Germany instead?
I recall Germany and US almost came to blows over Samoa OTL

Britain and Germany may ally as Germany can provide a counter weight to France for Britain.

How about China? With then more active Lincoln as President, maybe he gives support to Sun Yat-sen in creating the Republic of China?

WWI could start over a host a reasons. I'd guess it'll be over German unification though. Neither France nor Austria really wants to see a unified Germany under the Prussians. The Ottomans might just get dragged in for fun.

This could make sense, especially since the Balkan issues in OTL have been butterflied away so far.

But does there really have to be a World War I? Then again, I think it's too late with a post Congress of Vienna POD.

How about China? With then more active Lincoln as President, maybe he gives support to Sun Yat-sen in creating the Republic of China?

Sun Yat-sen was born in 1866, 4 years after this TL's POD. In this TL no one from OTL born after the POD exists so it can't technically be Sun Yat-sen. However I’m not sure what is in store for China in this TL so the door for possible American involvement is open.

You could perhaps, see this TL's WWI begin with Prussia forming the "German Empire" comprising the Northern German States which it has presidence over. Austria would, of course, object to this, and declare war to restore proper order. This would in turn see the mobilization of France and Italy, to defend their respective allies.

I think it'll be tough for Italy and Prussia/Germany, at least initially. Fighting a two fornt war is never easy, especially against Austria and France. I think, however, once the Russian mobolize and invade Austria, things will get easier for the Prussians/Germans and Italians as they'll need to concentrate their troops less on Austria, which will allow them to divert more men to France.

As for the Ottoman Empire...it's tough to say. I can imagen things would go somewhat as per OTL in the Caucasus: Temporary Ottoman gains, followed by swift Russian vctories.