The Union Forever: A TL

67th Tigers

Banned
Good points, however

1)The U.S. still had a large number of vessels from the Civil War that were recommissioned to fight against Spain. Even though this TL's Spanish-American war is tougher on the U.S., I think it is safe to say that the U.S would be victorious for a number of reasons including proximity to the Caribbean, greater industrial capacity, and a lot of excellent battle hardened veterans left over from the Civil War. Also don't forget that Spain was very unstable during this time and was ruled by a military junta during war so it is likely that Spain had to keep a lot of troops back home.

If I may quote the OTL:

"The force collected ... was the best, and indeed about all we had ... and if it had not been so serious it would have been laughable to see our condition. We remained several weeks, making faces at the Spaniards 90 miles away at Havana, while two modern vessels of war would have done us up in 30 minutes. We were dreadfully mortified over it all." by (future) Rear Admiral Robley Evans is over the 1873 US-Spanish crisis

In the 1870's the remaining ACW vessels are not worth much in combat. More to the point, when they surveyed them in 1873, only 16 were still found to be seaworthy, even for harbour service (Roanoke, Dictator, 8x Passiacs and 6x Canonicus), and the rest were rapidly disposed of. Of these Dictator, Roanoke and Canonicus were prettymuch only useful as floating batteries.

Of course, ITTL many of those vessels were not constructed, because the war ended a lot earlier. The Passiacs, fine, but Dictator and all the Canonicus were likely suspended on the stocks and delayed to uselessness, as happened in 1865 OTL. Roanoke was probably never placed into Commission either (she was just completing at the end ITTL).

So a USN with 10 Passiacs (no losses ITTL) for an ironclad force, and maybe New Ironsides (oh yes!).

Mac, always save a map as PNG, not GIF or anything else. Just a little advice.

Every time I start to think, "Okay, maybe JPG is an okay format in some cases," I see something like this and want to gouge out my eyes.

The map's fine. JPG needs to be made a felony.

France looks a bit over extended in the map or is that just my imagination.:D

I think France looks a wee bit bigger and has more territory in this map than in otl so how did that happen

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I am still working on my map making skills. As far as saving the map as something else I don't know how. And yes France does look a little bit bigger because I had to alter an OTL map of 1890 and give France back Alsace-Lorraine, because ITTL there was no Franco-Prussian War, and I got sloppy (I was also trying to imply that France is extending its influence over some of the smaller states in southwest Germany. The Franco-Italian border should be normal (I think is was trying to imply that Napoleon III or IV picked up some Italian territory along the way but in hindsight I don't think that would have been possible without a major war).

With this being said could someone please make a decent map for the TL? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I am still working on my map making skills. As far as saving the map as something else I don't know how. And yes France does look a little bit bigger because I had to alter an OTL map of 1890 and give France back Alsace-Lorraine, because ITTL there was no Franco Prussian War, and got sloppy (I was also trying to imply that France is extending its influence over some of the smaller states in southwest Germany. The Franco-Italian border should be normal (I think is was trying to imply that Napoleon III or IV picked up some Italian territory along the way but in hindsight I don't think that would have been possible without a major war).

With this being said could someone please make a decent map for the TL? Thanks.

When you go to save the file name you will want to right below the file name and hit the arrow for "Save as Type:" then scroll down the bottom to .PNG and then save it.

I may try to help with a map...

well I was just wondering how France on the map had got all these extra colonies in Africa and the Philippines for some weird reason

As stated in the post "Imperial France" France bought the Philippine Islands from Spain in 1879 (A republican government was then temporarily in power and needed the money". Egypt was invaded and annexed in 1883.

The other French African possessions are due to France being more expansionist under Napoleon IV. Furthermore, Prussia and Italy are more concerned about domestic security issues and therefore have not established colonies in Africa. Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my improved version of MacGregor's map. The Italian-Austrian border is put back as it was in OTL (I don't think that there would be that great of a reason for it to be changed, I may be corrected however.)

Anyway, here is my map for the end of the 1880's. If anyone has any problems with it, tell me and I will fix them:

improved map.PNG

improved map.PNG

Here is my improved version of MacGregor's map. The Italian-Austrian border is put back as it was in OTL (I don't think that there would be that great of a reason for it to be changed, I may be corrected however.)

Anyway, here is my map for the end of the 1880's. If anyone has any problems with it, tell me and I will fix them:

View attachment 115578

Excellent! The map looks great. I think I see a small German colony in west Africa which should go to France though. Cheers.

This isn't enough to warrant re-making the map again, but those British dots west of Egypt look a little out of place. Can that be correct?

1890-1895
1890-1895
Foreign and Domestic Developments

250px-DavidBHill.jpg

David B. Hill
Democrat from New York
Twentieth President of the United States

The Administration of President David B. Hill

On February 2nd, 1890 President Samuel J. Randal suffered a fatal heart attack. At 61 years old Randal was the third U.S. President to die in office following William Henry Harrison and Zachary Taylor. Succeeding him to the Presidency was Vice President David B. Hill a 49 year old Democrat from New York. President Hill would preside over a booming economy in what historians would later call the “Roaring 90s.” In the 1892 Presidential election David B. Hill and his running mate John M. Palmer of Illinois easily beat the Republican ticket of Thomas B. Reed of Maine and William McKinley of Ohio. Hill’s time in office proved to be largely uneventful, and he is mainly remembered for starting construction on the Nicaraguan Canal and the 1893 annexation of the Hawaiian Islands.

States entered into the Union during the 1890s

Flag of UTAH.png

Utah-1892

Foreign Developments

Central American Canals: In 1891, after years of dithering and false starts, Napoleon IV officially sanctioned the Imperial Isthmian Company which began construction on a canal to link the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans in Panama, Columbia. With France already in effective control of the Suez Canal, Napoleon IV hoped that this second canal would enhance French prestige in Latin American and give France an advantage in their growing naval race with Great Britain. The United States, who greatly resented the French presence in Central America, started construction on their own canal in Nicaragua in 1893.

Scramble for Africa: During the 1890s Africa continued to be divided up by the European powers of France, Great Britain, Portugal, and Belgium. France dominated North and West Africa while Britain held a vast swath of the continent running from the Cape of Good Hope to southern Sudan. By 1896 all of Africa had been subdued by foreign powers with the exceptions of Liberia, Ethiopia, Morocco, and the Boer Republics. As available territory in Africa shrunk, tensions amongst the competing colonial powers rose adding fire to the mounting tensions on the continent.

Parliamentarianism in Russia: In 1894 Alexander II of Russia, in one of the last acts of his reign, granted vastly increased powers to the Imperial Duma which had been established ten years earlier. Although the effects of this shift in power would take many years to be fully felt, in later years historians would view this as an important step in the liberalization of Russian politics and a turning point in Russian history from autocracy towards constitutional monarchy. Alexander II died in his bed a few months later being succeeding to the throne by his first born son Nicholas Alexandrovich Romanov. Known as Nicholas II, the Emperor was the first Russian ruler to drop the word “Autocrat” from his title and like his father continued to modernize and reform Russian society.

coronation.jpg

1895 Coronation of Nicholas II

Last edited:
Mac,

I'm curious about the Pacific territories/colonies in the Pacific that IOTL Germany would have claimed. I'm not an expert on the region or the history but with a Germany not seemingly interested in colonies (or if they are not African colonies) wouldn't a UK that IOTL was a bit disinterested have ITTL grabbed them up just as gut reaction after French acquisition of the Philipppines?

Given a cooling and growing rivalry between them and their oldest enemy (France) I could seem them being much more interested in it just to make sure there were some open uncontested sea lanes for trade routes if war were to break out.

If one were to look at CurlyGangster's map Britain is looking at her lines to India and the Far East being dominated by French controlled sea lanes. The Mediterranean is on the way to being a French lake, the Suez and the Red Sea are French dominated, the west coast of Africa is French, the Indian ocean has French Madagascar and Somalia, and while the UK controls the Straits of Malacca France controls the South China Sea. If France were to take control of what IOTL were the German Pacific territories they'd have a chain of islands/bases across the Pacific, and if their version of the Panama canal is completed also...well you get the idea. (I bet there is significant if quiet British investment in the US built Nicaraguan canal by-the-way).

Oh and also what is going on with Hawaii?

Great update too. :cool:

Mac,

I'm curious about the Pacific territories/colonies in the Pacific that IOTL Germany would have claimed. I'm not an expert on the region or the history but with a Germany not seemingly interested in colonies (or if they are not African colonies) wouldn't a UK that IOTL was a bit disinterested have ITTL grabbed them up just as gut reaction after French acquisition of the Philipppines?

Given a cooling and growing rivalry between them and their oldest enemy (France) I could seem them being much more interested in it just to make sure there were some open uncontested sea lanes for trade routes if war were to break out.

If one were to look at CurlyGangster's map Britain is looking at her lines to India and the Far East being dominated by French controlled sea lanes. The Mediterranean is on the way to being a French lake, the Suez and the Red Sea are French dominated, the west coast of Africa is French, the Indian ocean has French Madagascar and Somalia, and while the UK controls the Straits of Malacca France controls the South China Sea. If France were to take control of what IOTL were the German Pacific territories they'd have a chain of islands/bases across the Pacific, and if their version of the Panama canal is completed also...well you get the idea. (I bet there is significant if quiet British investment in the US built Nicaraguan canal by-the-way).

Oh and also what is going on with Hawaii?

Great update too. :cool:

Good points, Indeed France does have a greatly expanded foot print in the Pacific which does pose a threat to the British. For the record OTL German Pacific Territories ended up as follows in the TL.

France gets Northern New Guinea, the Bismarck Archipelago (TTL Bonaparte Archipelago) and Bougainville

UK gets the Northern Solomon Islands, Nauru, Marshal Islands, Marina Islands, and buys the Carolina Islands from Spain

U.S. gets all of Samoa

Oh and I forgot about Hawaii, President Hill annexed the Hawaiian Islands in 1893. I will go back and change that. Cheers!

A recent reread of "Fight and Be Right" reminded me that a Democratic President would not divide Dakota territory (Republicans did it so they would get more Republican Senators), but might divide Indian territory into two. I could see more land runs and an earlier discovery of oil in OTL Oklahoma. Perhaps it enters the Union in the 90s ITTL (the 80s are too early IMO).

Also I'd imagine the Democrats would try to postpone admitting the other territories out west as much as they could (since they will be Republican strongholds), and will probably end up killing Arizona and Montano/Idaho/Wyoming becomes two states instead of the OTL three.

A recent reread of "Fight and Be Right" reminded me that a Democratic President would not divide Dakota territory (Republicans did it so they would get more Republican Senators), but might divide Indian territory into two. I could see more land runs and an earlier discovery of oil in OTL Oklahoma. Perhaps it enters the Union in the 90s ITTL (the 80s are too early IMO).

Also I'd imagine the Democrats would try to postpone admitting the other territories out west as much as they could (since they will be Republican strongholds), and will probably end up killing Arizona and Montano/Idaho/Wyoming becomes two states instead of the OTL three.

Good point about the Dakotas, I will move there statehood back a year so they are brought in under a Republican President. And concerning Oklahoma I was thinking something very similar. Cheers.

Sweet! Russia will succeed!

Germany will be united!

The United states will get baja and more of mexico

hooray!

Thanks for the enthusiasm and while I can understand why you say that about Russia and Germany why would the United States get Baja and more of Mexico?